Out of Character Moments in the series

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Out of Character Moments in the series

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:23 pm

ABED wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote: Cell was holding back against Goku and Gohan. He was not using full power. He was using smaller percentage. This power, which everyone should have thought was his full, was far inferior to Gohan.

After Gohan goes SS2, Cell powers up again. This is his full power, and is likely welly beyond what Gohan can manage without the transformation + rage boost.
No, Gohan and Cell are close to each other at the start of the fight. Gohan needs to turn SS2 in order to defeat Cell. If he didn't, that's just bad writing.

Cell's at his full power when he's fighting Gohan but losing, then he blows up and comes back with more power. He didn't hold back against SS2, he couldn't win, but came back with more power.

When Gohan destroys Cell, I don't know if the would technically constitute a rage boost as much as Gohan using every last bit of energy he can muster when Cell's momentarily distracted.
Yes, they're close. That's why Cell's attacks did nothing to Gohan and Piccolo said Gohan was stronger than everybody else. I don't know what's so hard to grasp about this; he needed SS2 against Cell's full power, but up to that point, he hadn't displayed that power, just his suppressed power that was inferior to Gohan.

Bad writing? Welcome to the Cell arc.

He was going all-out vs SS2 Gohan, but not SS Gohan or SS Goku.

Daizenshuu is pretty explicit about it being a rage boost, and official material > fan speculation, so yeah.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:30 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:
ABED wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote: Cell was holding back against Goku and Gohan. He was not using full power. He was using smaller percentage. This power, which everyone should have thought was his full, was far inferior to Gohan.

After Gohan goes SS2, Cell powers up again. This is his full power, and is likely welly beyond what Gohan can manage without the transformation + rage boost.
No, Gohan and Cell are close to each other at the start of the fight. Gohan needs to turn SS2 in order to defeat Cell. If he didn't, that's just bad writing.

Cell's at his full power when he's fighting Gohan but losing, then he blows up and comes back with more power. He didn't hold back against SS2, he couldn't win, but came back with more power.

When Gohan destroys Cell, I don't know if the would technically constitute a rage boost as much as Gohan using every last bit of energy he can muster when Cell's momentarily distracted.
Yes, they're close. That's why Cell's attacks did nothing to Gohan and Piccolo said Gohan was stronger than everybody else. I don't know what's so hard to grasp about this; he needed SS2 against Cell's full power, but up to that point, he hadn't displayed that power, just his suppressed power that was inferior to Gohan.

Bad writing? Welcome to the Cell arc.

He was going all-out vs SS2 Gohan, but not SS Gohan or SS Goku.

Daizenshuu is pretty explicit about it being a rage boost, and official material > fan speculation, so yeah.
This isn't fan speculation, I'm going off the manga.

Gohan's attack did nothing to Cell either. I don't know why it's so hard to grasp that neither Gohan nor Cell are serious.

Wait, now he needs SS2 even though he's superior to Cell? You are confusing, and not as clear as you assume.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:36 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:Because it's a piece of machinery that still fully intended to kill Goku.
One never-realized purpose vs several realized personality traits and actions.
RandomGuy96 wrote:I'd think that Gohan would care more about his friends being slowly killed right in front of him by a guy who already killed whole cities rather than a defective appliance he just saw get broken. And yes, I will. On Namek, when Piccolo was being beaten to death, he stepped in. He didn't do anything here.
On Namek he wasn't under intense pressure of being handed the torch directly by Goku, touted as the only hope, and the fear of how powerful he could be if he unleashes it all. He and his friends were all pushed to the wall, and his fight or flight instinct kicked in. Now, if Goku hadn't given up, and Cell was about to kill them, Gohan would have snapped.

"But the Cell Jr.s!"

Came along after Gohan was put on the spot and was able to start overthinking shit.
RandomGuy96 wrote:Gohan never once worried about how dangerous his power would be in the past
Gohan never once was a Super Saiyan in such a situation in the past.
RandomGuy96 wrote:Instinct? No, he made the knowing decision to train for several years and fight the androids alongside everyone else.
I wasn't talking about the training. I was talking about the fights in which he naturally let loose his power via anger, and not being told right out to manually activate his emotions like he was at the Cell Games. Different situations.
RandomGuy96 wrote:So having the power to do the job somehow makes him a total wuss when he would always attack even when he wasn't strong enough? What?
Being told he is stronger than the strongest guy of the last decade who always saved the day if he just uses his anger, and that he's the last hope, puts pressure on the 10 year old boy. He overthinks. He freezes. He chokes. He literally says that he doesn't know how to bring forth the power, indicating that he's ruminating over things rather than acting on instinct and fighting.
RandomGuy96 wrote:Again, I'm not talking about getting a rage boost.
Then what are we talking about? Gohan talks about how his dad wanted him to fight because he gets strong when he's angry, and that's why he's up there fighting.
RandomGuy96 wrote:his father just got through telling him how they're now in a state where SS is like their natural form and has no ill-effects. He can even plainly see that SS no longer affects his or his father's personality. So, again, contrived BS.
I wasn't talking about the personality being affected (though he did get really sadistic here, instead of his rage just wearing off like every single other time before, but that's beside my point). I was talking about how Super Saiyan gives increase in power. Combined with his anger, they would give an incredible increase in power, logically more than he would have experienced before. This automatically makes this a different situation. Surely someone's allowed to be frightened by the potential destructive power of the depths of that? Who's to say that he'll be able to concentrate SSj-tier power when he's pissed?

It's fine if you want to interpret different behavior in different situations as "completely contrived BS", but that doesn't make these not different situations. Different situations justify different behavior. And "but there's no precedence for this!" is a bullshit rebuttal, because this is where the precedence is being set.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:52 pm

This isn't fan speculation, I'm going off the manga.

Gohan's attack did nothing to Cell either. I don't know why it's so hard to grasp that neither Gohan nor Cell are serious.

Wait, now he needs SS2 even though he's superior to Cell? You are confusing, and not as clear as you assume.
For the last time: he's NOT superior to Cell, he's superior to the power Cell was showing him.

Yes, it is, unless you can find something in the manga that explicitly says he didn't get a rage boost.

Gohan only hit Cell once. It knocked him down and made him bleed. Cell hit Gohan multiple times. It was explicitly pointed out and shown that Gohan's power didn't drop at all.
What actions? All it's done is ineffectively try to stop Cell and get destroyed.

Never-realized purpose, but one it still fully intends to fulfill.
On Namek he wasn't under intense pressure of being handed the torch directly by Goku, touted as the only hope, and the fear of how powerful he could be if he unleashes it all. He
Again, where are you getting this fear he has of his power? This comes totally out of nowhere.
He and his friends were all pushed to the wall, and his fight or flight instinct kicked in. Now, if Goku hadn't given up, and Cell was about to kill them, Gohan would have snapped.

"But the Cell Jr.s!"

Came along after Gohan was put on the spot and was able to start overthinking shit.
What is there to overthink? He's stronger than everyone. His friends are being killed. He has the power to save them. Yet he doesn't.
So...?
I wasn't talking about the training. I was talking about the fights in which he naturally let loose his power via anger, and not being told right out to manually activate his emotions like he was at the Cell Games. Different situations.
I'm not talking about a rage boost. I'm talking about his conscious refusal to fight with all of his regular might when put on the spot, even though he explicitly wanted to do that at the beginning of the arc.
Being told he is stronger than the strongest guy of the last decade who always saved the day if he just uses his anger, and that he's the last hope, puts pressure on the 10 year old boy.
They said nothing about anger. He's stronger than Goku as is.
He overthinks. He freezes. He chokes. He literally says that he doesn't know how to bring forth the power, indicating that he's ruminating over things rather than acting on instinct and fighting.
Problem: he doesn't need to. What he needs to do is his regular power to fight Cell and stop his friends from dying.
Then what are we talking about? Gohan talks about how his dad wanted him to fight because he gets strong when he's angry, and that's why he's up there fighting.
That's what he assumes, since he still can't fully comprehend that he's just so much stronger than Goku regularly, which Piccolo, Cell, and the narration all point out.
I wasn't talking about the personality being affected (though he did get really sadistic here, instead of his rage just wearing off like every single other time before, but that's beside my point). I was talking about how Super Saiyan gives increase in power. Combined with his anger, they would give an incredible increase in power, logically more than he would have experienced before. This automatically makes this a different situation
Why? In every situation where he got extra power, he only used it on bad guys. It can't be a matter of him thinking a larger increase than before will randomly result in him not being able to control it, since he got x1,330 rage boost once and it only hurt Raditz.
Surely someone's allowed to be frightened by the potential destructive power of the depths of that? Who's to say that he'll be able to concentrate SSj-tier power when he's pissed?
Because, as I said, the whole point of the training he just did was to make it so being in SS is essentially no different from being in his regular form. If you're trying to argue that he thinks that a large amount of power in general will be beyond his control and cause collateral damage, not only is that never hinted at anywhere, but every single character in the series has always been able to control their powers so as to condense the damage in a small area to destroy a specific target (i.e. their enemies). It's pretty much involuntary for them. Where's the evidence that Gohan would randomly lose this trait- which has never ever happened before to anyone- if he went SS? Where is that even so much as hinted at?
Last edited by RandomGuy96 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:59 pm

For the last time: he's NOT superior to Cell, he's superior to the power Cell was showing him.

Yes, it is, unless you can find something in the manga that explicitly says he didn't get a rage boost.

Gohan only hit Cell once. It knocked him down and made him bleed. Cell hit Gohan multiple times. It was explicitly pointed out and shown that Gohan's power didn't drop at all.
Okay, but at what point in the fight are you talking about?

THere's nothing that says he does or doesn't because the manga doesn't use the term. And I recall Goku telling his son that he's strong enough to beat Cell.

Your ability to draw odd conclusions baffles me. Cell's power didn't drop either. I don't know how many times I need to say this - neither are being serious at that point in the fight.

And don't retort all exasperated, you aren't as clear as you think you are.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:22 am

That purpose was going to be fulfilled, and what actions are you talking about? He did nothing of significance.
On Namek he wasn't under intense pressure of being handed the torch directly by Goku, touted as the only hope, and the fear of how powerful he could be if he unleashes it all. He
He never feared his own power before, nor does he have any reason to.
He and his friends were all pushed to the wall, and his fight or flight instinct kicked in. Now, if Goku hadn't given up, and Cell was about to kill them, Gohan would have snapped.

"But the Cell Jr.s!"

Gohan never had to overthink shit before, nor should he have had to here. His friends were dying, he needs to save them. Simple as that.
Gohan trained his SSJ state so that he acts no differently in it than how he acts normally. I don't see your point.
Still doesn't explain him wanting to fight at the beginning of the arc, than wussing out at the last minute.
Being told he is stronger than the strongest guy of the last decade who always saved the day if he just uses his anger, and that he's the last hope, puts pressure on the 10 year old boy.
He's already stronger than Goku without his anger.
He overthinks. He freezes. He chokes. He literally says that he doesn't know how to bring forth the power, indicating that he's ruminating over things rather than acting on instinct and fighting.
He doesn't have to overthink, nor does he have any good reason to.
Gohan only assumes this
I wasn't talking about the personality being affected (though he did get really sadistic here, instead of his rage just wearing off like every single other time before, but that's beside my point). I was talking about how Super Saiyan gives increase in power. Combined with his anger, they would give an incredible increase in power, logically more than he would have experienced before. This automatically makes this a different situation
His rage boosts never hurt an ally before. There's no reason to fear that it suddenly will now.
Surely someone's allowed to be frightened by the potential destructive power of the depths of that? Who's to say that he'll be able to concentrate SSj-tier power when he's pissed?
He trained his SSJ form so that he acts no different in it than in his regular form. And again, Gohan never hurt his allies when he was angry before. There's no reason to think he will now.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:30 am

ABED wrote:

Okay, but at what point in the fight are you talking about?

THere's nothing that says he does or doesn't because the manga doesn't use the term. And I recall Goku telling his son that he's strong enough to beat Cell.

Your ability to draw odd conclusions baffles me. Cell's power didn't drop either. I don't know how many times I need to say this - neither are being serious at that point in the fight.

And don't retort all exasperated, you aren't as clear as you think you are.
Literally every part of the fight before Cell powered up against SS2 Gohan.

He did, but he was factoring in all of his power, i.e. the hidden potential he can only get with his rage. Later in the Buu arc, he even tells Gohan to get angry because that will let him beat anyone, and he's not talking about SS2, because Gohan can do that without anger at this point.

What odd conclusions? Piccolo states Gohan is the strongest, Gohan takes no damage from Cell's attacks, and is clearly shown as being faster.

I don't know how I could have been any more clear.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:53 am

Zephyr wrote: Fair enough, there is indeed one slight instance of precedence for this kind of thing. One that Gohan was knocked unconscious immediately after, and not informed of the explicit details of. This is still THE big bad. THE final battle. And the de-facto "strongest guy around", his father, is throwing in the towel, and tagging in and passing the torch to Gohan. That's very different from the Raditz fight.

Hypothetically, if Gohan was outside of the pod, watched Goku and Raditz duking it out, only for Goku to just be all "okay Gohan, it's your turn to fight, you're the only one who can do anything because you're way stronger than I am!" after years of getting his skin saved by an always superior Goku at the last second, I doubt things would have gone down the same as they actually did against Raditz. Because the situations are different.~
I called you out on this, not because I'm trying to say its the same situation, but because you had stated something factually wrong.

Like I said, Gohan had already realized even after Raditz that he could surpass people he viewed as traditionally stronger and that were father figures to him, like for example Piccolo. That never hindered him whatsoever. And even if what Goku said affected him somewhat, that only justifies his hesitation during his brief fight with Cell, but not his complete lack of action when his friends and family are in danger.
Perhaps he thinks that now that he's incredibly stronger he might have the chance of causing more permanent destruction on accident? He's been in rage boost mode in base form plenty of times before, but he's never been in rage boost mode as a Super Saiyan. I think that is quite literally a reasonable fear, a reasonable unknown to be suspicious of. ~
But why...? Why is he suddenly fearing this and why and how can it even be considered a rational and reasonable fear when there's absolutely nothing implying that it might be more dangerous for other people now? There's no answer. Simply put, its a irrational fear with no real basis that just creates artificial drama.
So he didn't snap when people weren't dying, and did snap when someone did die? Seems reasonable. ~
No, because his friends and family mean way more to Gohan than #16. Seeing them being tortured and about to die should be way more infuriating and emotional for Gohan than seeing a robot that means nothing to him, that he has never talked to, that was designed to kill his father and actually wants to kill his father, getting destroyed.

I didn't see Gohan getting worked up when Cell reduced #16 to a talking head minutes earlier. In fact, as far as Gohan could tell, #16 had died at that moment, there's nothing implying that he knew that #16 was still alive. And does Gohan do anything then? Does he get significantly angry? Not really. So, why exactly is it different afterwards? Why is this able to make him snap but not his friends and family being in mortal danger and being tortured?

The only answer: added drama and convenience.
This is true. But Saiyan arc Gohan and Namek arc Gohan also weren't in a contrived setting where the villain is trying to get Gohan to lose his temper for the sake of entertainment, and is trying to force it. This is all while he's under extreme pressure and reasonably fearful of the unknown depths of his full power. Would they have acted very hesitantly the way Cell Games Gohan does? We don't know if Saiyan/Namek Gohan would have behaved the way Cell Games Gohan does in the Cell Games, because Saiyan/Namek Gohan were never in the Cell Games with all of these factors influencing them.
There's literally no reason to think Saiyan arc Gohan and Namek arc Gohan would act differently than they did when their friends and family were in danger. Heck, even Cell arc Gohan has no reason to act differently than Saiyan arc Gohan and Namek arc Gohan when his friends and family are in danger. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with Gohan being thrown off by the situation and by what Goku said, but once his friends and family are in danger and he literally doesn't act or try anything, that's when it becomes inconsistent and noticeably more influenced by the need of added drama and convenience than actual consistency and natural evolution of Gohan's character.
The main thing here is that there are so many factors here compounding together that were never simultaneously present together at any single moment in the past. There is no precedence for how Gohan would behave given all of these simultaneously compounding factors, because they've never coalesced like this before. If they had before, and he acted just fine then, then there would be a solid, irrefutable case for Gohan being OOC here. But they haven't, so there's not.
You are ignoring that Gohan had surpassed and realized he had surpassed people who are father figures to him before, that Gohan had been in situations where he was the only one who could do anything before and in situations of tremendous pressure that required him to take things into his own hands before and that Gohan had already enough power to destroy the planet several times over before, as well as the lack of any good reason for any change in his behavior.

Basically, you are arguing that since every single detail is not the very same, that its impossible for us to compare past situations and come up with a conclusion.

I completely disagree. Similar past situations are more than enough to come up with a conclusion in this case. The Cell games situation is not distinctive enough to explain why he wouldn't act or try to save his family and friends like he always has before.
Zephyr wrote:
This sentient piece of generally peaceful machinery who switched sides and is now on Gohan's team and shares his general indifference for fighting for fighting's sake getting crushed to death a couple of feet in front of him sent him over the edge after seeing his friends get beaten up and not killed. Correct.
Is that why when Cell wrecked #16 minutes earlier and, as far as Gohan could tell, killed him (since there's nothing implying that Gohan knew that #16 was still alive), Gohan didn't get significantly angry?
Zephyr wrote: Why would anyone care about a like-minded comrade who actually did no wrong while on the opposite team being brutally killed in front of them?
Not enough care to get significantly angry when Cell presumably killed him minutes earlier, apparently.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:05 am

So, now that all of the arguments defending Gohan have been destroyed, can we please end this silly debate? Hell, this shouldn't have even been a debate in the first place.

Gohan factually contradicted everything about his character here. This is not a matter of opinion. Arguing against it is wrong. You might as well be arguing against 2 + 2 = 4.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:25 am

Literally every part of the fight before Cell powered up against SS2 Gohan.

He did, but he was factoring in all of his power, i.e. the hidden potential he can only get with his rage. Later in the Buu arc, he even tells Gohan to get angry because that will let him beat anyone, and he's not talking about SS2, because Gohan can do that without anger at this point.

What odd conclusions? Piccolo states Gohan is the strongest, Gohan takes no damage from Cell's attacks, and is clearly shown as being faster.

I don't know how I could have been any more clear.
You couldn't be any more wrong. I don't know how you could be any less informed on the show. Here's how the fight goes: Gohan and Cell begin fighting, neither are serious, so no one damages the other. Cell finds out about Gohan's hidden strength, and draws it out. Gohan becomes Super Saiyan 2, and beats up Cell. Cell discovers Gohan's power dwarfs his, and decides to self destruct. He does, and a few minutes later comes back stronger than ever. He shatters Gohan's arm. They engage in a battle of Kamehamehas, which Gohan wins when Vegeta distracts Cell.

The Buu arc has no bearing on the Cell Games

The odd conclusion that Gohan is stronger than Cell even before he goes SS2. You see no damage and you jump to the ridiculous conclusion that he is ergo stronger. You come up with a ridiculous reason to dismiss that Gohan also hits Cell and Cell's bear hug.

Trust me, you could be a lot clearer.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:54 am

thatdbzguy wrote:Gohan factually contradicted everything about his character here. This is not a matter of opinion. Arguing against it is wrong. You might as well be arguing against 2 + 2 = 4.
The only "factual" analysis you can do would be with things like "Gohan is Goku's son".

The analysis of a character and their development from a piece of art is, by its very nature, entirely subjective.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:52 am

ABED wrote: You couldn't be any more wrong. I don't know how you could be any less informed on the show. Here's how the fight goes: Gohan and Cell begin fighting, neither are serious, so no one damages the other. Cell finds out about Gohan's hidden strength, and draws it out. Gohan becomes Super Saiyan 2, and beats up Cell. Cell discovers Gohan's power dwarfs his, and decides to self destruct. He does, and a few minutes later comes back stronger than ever. He shatters Gohan's arm. They engage in a battle of Kamehamehas, which Gohan wins when Vegeta distracts Cell.

The Buu arc has no bearing on the Cell Games

The odd conclusion that Gohan is stronger than Cell even before he goes SS2. You see no damage and you jump to the ridiculous conclusion that he is ergo stronger. You come up with a ridiculous reason to dismiss that Gohan also hits Cell and Cell's bear hug.

Trust me, you could be a lot clearer.
In the manga, Gohan only tried to attack Cell one single time (with a kick) before going SSJ2. Despite that, that attack not only hit Cell, it also knocked him down and made him bleed.

Obviously, its not clear how strong Gohan was before his SSJ2 due to his behavior, but there is enough to suggest that if he actually fought as seriously as Goku had fought, Gohan could possibly win against Cell even without his SSJ2 or rage boost, as long as Cell didn't use his full power and remained at the level he used agaisnt Goku.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:41 am

VegettoEX wrote:
thatdbzguy wrote:Gohan factually contradicted everything about his character here. This is not a matter of opinion. Arguing against it is wrong. You might as well be arguing against 2 + 2 = 4.
The only "factual" analysis you can do would be with things like "Gohan is Goku's son".

The analysis of a character and their development from a piece of art is, by its very nature, entirely subjective.
Except Gohan's OOC-ness has been proven with factual evidence from the series. There's nothing "subjective" about factual evidence.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:04 pm

In the manga, Gohan only tried to attack Cell one single time (with a kick) before going SSJ2. Despite that, that attack not only hit Cell, it also knocked him down and made him bleed.

Obviously, its not clear how strong Gohan was before his SSJ2 due to his behavior, but there is enough to suggest that if he actually fought as seriously as Goku had fought, Gohan could possibly win against Cell even without his SSJ2 or rage boost, as long as Cell didn't use his full power and remained at the level he used agaisnt Goku.
Cell also drew blood from Gohan. I said Gohan was close to Cell, maybe it's more, maybe it's less, either way, I think it would be a close call, but we don't know for sure, because neither are fighting that serious.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:08 pm

ABED wrote:

Cell also drew blood from Gohan. I said Gohan was close to Cell, maybe it's more, maybe it's less, either way, I think it would be a close call, but we don't know for sure, because neither are fighting that serious.
Yes, like I said its not clear. But interpreting Gohan as being strong enough to take Cell at those levels of power is certainly plausible from what we see.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:38 pm

It doesn't matter how much stronger or weaker Gohan was than Cell at the time. His power doesn't justify his OOC-ness at all.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:02 pm

It's funny how, for pages after I dismantled this "Gohan is OoC in the Cell Games" argument, the "debate" rages on between the two people who are just patting themselves on the back for agreeing with each other over it.

Maybe Dragon Ball is a little too exhausting to interpret for some of you. I'm not sure how that's humanly possible, as it is rock simple, but there you go.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:14 pm

penguintruth wrote:It's funny how, for pages after I dismantled this "Gohan is OoC in the Cell Games" argument, the "debate" rages on between the two people who are just patting themselves on the back for agreeing with each other over it.

Maybe Dragon Ball is a little too exhausting to interpret for some of you. I'm not sure how that's humanely possible, as it is rock simple, but there you go.
Except you didn't dismantle it. You typed down why you think Gohan wasn't OOC, you got proven wrong on all of your points, and have now ceased replying to those you were debating because you couldn't counteract their solid arguments.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:16 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:Except you didn't dismantle it. You typed down why you think Gohan wasn't OOC, you got proven wrong on all of your points, and have now ceased replying to those you were debating because you couldn't counteract their solid arguments.
You are outrageously delusional, as are your ilk. You utterly fail to meet the standards by which a debate should carry itself. That is, with evidence and reasoning. You have no evidence and you lack the simplest reasoning or interpretation skills. You can't even discern the difference between desire and willingness.

You haven't proven anything to anyone except how you can't read a simple children's comic that everybody worldwide can understand easily except you and a couple of other people who are in this thread.

Let that be our words of parting.
Last edited by penguintruth on Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:20 pm

penguintruth wrote:
thatdbzguy wrote:Except you didn't dismantle it. You typed down why you think Gohan wasn't OOC, you got proven wrong on all of your points, and have now ceased replying to those you were debating because you couldn't counteract their solid arguments.
You are outrageously delusional, as are your ilk. I will brook no further idiocy from any of you and am blocking every one of you, because you utterly fail to meet the standards by which a debate should carry itself. That is, with evidence and reasoning.

You haven't proven anything to anyone except how you can't read a simple children's comic that everybody worldwide can understand easily except you and a couple of other people who are in this thread.
So you block people if they prove you wrong? Where does that get any of us?
Khalid Shahin wrote: