Dragon Box 7 officially out of print

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Dragon Box 7 officially out of print

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:32 am

I already own Dragon Box 7 but while I was on amazon.ca I saw that the price of dragon box 7 is over four hundred bucks. Is it official that all of the dragon boxes are out of print?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Box 7 officially out of print

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:34 am

That's been the case for all of them for a while.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:04 am

There was only one print run for all of the boxes. They went out of print on the day of release.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:55 pm

Amazon CA more than likely ran out of their own inventory.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:50 pm

I'm so glad I got mine when I did. :) I own 1,3,5,6 & 7.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:40 pm

Guys, hug your baby Dragon Boxes and promise you'll never ever sell them. Or watch them.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:47 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:Guys, hug your baby Dragon Boxes and promise you'll never ever sell them. Or watch them.
I've seen a number of people on this site talk about how they sold or wanted to sell their DBoxes; unless they were strapped for cash, I can't see why anyone would sell them.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:35 am

I was lucky enough to grab them all pretty close to their release, so I have the full set. Still haven't opened the last two.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:55 am

I only found out about them once they were all out, so I was only able to grab 5,6 and 7 for regular retail price. The others, no chance in hell. Cell and Buu are my favorite sagas, so that's one positive.

It's crazy how limited they were... you'd think it would have been the one sets Funimation would have milked to death and got all the money they could from them. Now the only ones making any money from them are the ones who stock piled and sell them on Ebay.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:13 am

I practically sold my soul just to have all these things and it was worth every shilling. Great product really. You we're lucky and smart if you got them early.

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:52 am

Damn, looks like that time has come. Luckily I started getting them before any were out-of-print and have gotten all seven.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:12 am

When I see threads like this, I am just so thankful that I was able to grab all of them back when they were readily available and didn't have to pay bloated prices for second-hand copies of any of them... Also I find it kind of funny how getting the Japanese Dragon Boxes seems to be both easier and cheaper than getting any one of the US ones... or at the very least way easier than getting volume 2. (I was able to get all the non-Z DBoxes during my stay in Japan relatively easily. At like 1/5 of the original retail price.)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:45 am

ABED wrote:I've seen a number of people on this site talk about how they sold or wanted to sell their DBoxes; unless they were strapped for cash, I can't see why anyone would sell them.
Maybe because the Japanese Dragon Boxes Z are better than the US Dragon Box Z release? One thing the US Dragon Box Z have over the original are English subs but everything else triumphs on the JP release.

Source: http://hirose1117.ocnk.net/product/453
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:29 pm

I took the "limited release" comment to heart when it was announced.

I had pre-ordered each one from Rightstuf as they went up.

The only one I didn't pre-order was the first one, and that was because I canceled it to get it for cheaper in my local Best Buy via a Target price match!

I would never sell these. As is, they are just on display in my DVD/BD cabinet as I did 1:1 ratio DVD image back ups of all 42 discs.

When I watch them, I simply load up the ISO and watch it that way. I actually do this on my Windows tablet when I go to the gym on the treadmill!