Times when a Dub > Original

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Re: Times when a Dub > Original

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:07 pm

What if Shigeru Chiba voiced Bardock?

I made a topic about it as well:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=27043

This is for all of you people who disagree about Nozawa being Bardock's voice actor. I guess to make this "on Topic", I shall say this is a fan replacement dub using voices from the series for another character. Honestly it fits better on pitch 2. To bad for those who know Japanese that what "Bardock" is saying how no context to the scene as it's talking about power levels... :oops:

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:18 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:I much prefer Sonny Strait as Bardock as opposed to Nozawa.

Don't get me wrong, Nozawa is a wonderful actress, and she clearly gave it her all whenever she played him (or anybody, for that matter) but I don't see any good reason as to why Bardock should be voiced by a woman. "But he's related to Goku!" is not a good reason in my eyes. You didn't see Raditz being voiced by a female, did you?
They probably just cast her because they thought she did a good Bardock voice. I mean, I certainly think she does a fantastic Bardock voice, and I don't understand why there needs to be any other reason to have her voice the character. Trying to come up with abstract rules for why Nozawa voices Bardock but not Raditz is missing the point. If Nozawa (or any voice actress) had auditioned for Raditz and done better than the other candidates, then giving her the role would have made sense, right? Likewise for the Funi dub, I assume they gave Sonny Strait the role of Bardock because they thought he did a good Bardock voice, rather than just because he happened to be male.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:22 pm

Herms wrote:
thatdbzguy wrote:I much prefer Sonny Strait as Bardock as opposed to Nozawa.

Don't get me wrong, Nozawa is a wonderful actress, and she clearly gave it her all whenever she played him (or anybody, for that matter) but I don't see any good reason as to why Bardock should be voiced by a woman. "But he's related to Goku!" is not a good reason in my eyes. You didn't see Raditz being voiced by a female, did you?
They probably just cast her because they thought she did a good Bardock voice. I mean, I certainly think she does a fantastic Bardock voice, and I don't understand why there needs to be any other reason to have her voice the character. Trying to come up with abstract rules for why Nozawa voices Bardock but not Raditz is missing the point. If Nozawa (or any voice actress) had auditioned for Raditz and done better than the other candidates, then giving her the role would have made sense, right? Likewise for the Funi dub, I assume they gave Sonny Strait the role of Bardock because they thought he did a good Bardock voice, rather than just because he happened to be male.
I took back what I said. Nozawa was the perfect choice, and the perfect Bardock.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:53 pm

Well, I didn't mean to pick on you. I really just wanted to add my comment to the general "why's Nozawa voice Bardock?" discussion.

Anyway, while I'm sticking with my "they probably just thought she did a good Bardock voice, but (maybe) didn't think she did a good Raditz voice" answer, another thought did occur to me: while such concerns may seem silly in retrospect, at the time the fact that Raditz is Goku's brother is supposed to be a big surprise, so maybe they didn't want to do anything that would give it away. Whereas Bardock being Goku's father is right there in the title of the TV special.

Of course, everyone who had read the manga would have already known the truth about Raditz. And Gohan being Goku's son was also supposed to be a surprise, and obviously that didn't stop them giving that role to Nozawa. Though the anime really doesn't go through any effort at all to conceal Gohan's identity, what with all the filler in episode 1.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:11 pm

Gaffer, I do think a distinction should be drawn between Goku as a kid and Goku as an adult. For Adult Goku, from 99 onward, adult Goku is always going to be played by Schemmel. It's the norm to have males at different ages voiced by different people. Nozawa and Tanaka are exceptions.

Your list is confusing, you don't indicate which voices you are referring to on it.

Goku and Bardock are completely different characters, it's not even like he's an evil mirror of his son, so having someone else voice him wouldn't have been a bad idea. I'm not suggesting Nozawa shouldn't have, but it's not a bad idea either.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:19 pm

ABED wrote:Gaffer, I do think a distinction should be drawn between Goku as a kid and Goku as an adult. For Adult Goku, from 99 onward, adult Goku is always going to be played by Schemmel.
Westwood, Blue Water Gt, and Ocean Kai say otherwise

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:30 pm

ABED wrote:Gaffer, I do think a distinction should be drawn between Goku as a kid and Goku as an adult. For Adult Goku, from 99 onward, adult Goku is always going to be played by Schemmel. It's the norm to have males at different ages voiced by different people. Nozawa and Tanaka are exceptions.

Your list is confusing, you don't indicate which voices you are referring to on it.

Goku and Bardock are completely different characters, it's not even like he's an evil mirror of his son, so having someone else voice him wouldn't have been a bad idea. I'm not suggesting Nozawa shouldn't have, but it's not a bad idea either.
This post again makes me think you're confused as to what we're actually talking about here. Or at least as to what I'm actually talking about here. So to recap to get you to where I am, the topic was as to whether or not it made sense for Nozawa to play Bardock.

At some point, Mike came up with a list of all the characters Nozawa played and listed justifications for each of those choices. I chimed in to add that I personally thought a very compelling reason was that that voice given to the protagonist helped establish the connection to Dragon Ball in a work that was almost completely removed from anything familiar. Up to this point, Goku had always been the protagonist, and he had always had the same voice. Now, in this completely separate work, we have a protagonist who looks and sounds like Goku, and I reasoned that, separate characters though they were, it helped connect the special back to Goku and thus Dragon Ball.

I went on to say that my speculation seems to continue to play out all the way to the present day. Because, while Dragon Ball has had multiple people in the protagonist role, whatever character it is is ALWAYS played by Nozawa, no matter who it is. The only thing that even comes close to an exception is the Trunks special, but it still has Gohan as a secondary protagonist.

My list did not give any names of characters because that's not what's important or even relevant. The only thing I'm trying to show is that, no matter who the protagonist is, Nozawa is there. Kid Goku, adult Goku, adult Gohan, Bardock, Goku, Jr. (main character in the GT TV special, which I have not seen, so I didn't include it before). She's always the lead actress playing the lead character. Even if it's a totally different character, it's always her in the lead role. For the dub, that's not the case. For each of those characters in protagonist roles, there is at least one distinct voice actor, often more. Goku has four. Gohan has two (only counting his voices where he is in the role of the lead protagonist). But even in the cases where it's only one actor per character, it's still ALWAYS a different actor in the lead role whenever the protagonist switches out.

And, again, that's not a criticism. I'm not arguing whether it's better to have Nozawa in the role of Bardock or someone else, nor am I arguing the merits or disadvantages of a character being or not being recast due to age of the character. It's simply an observation as to what expectations the Japanese fanbase has as opposed to the American fanbase due to the practices of their respective versions. So, again, telling me that Schemmel has consistently voiced adult Goku for 15 years is completely irrelevant to what I'm trying to say because adult Goku is not always the protagonist of Dragon Ball.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:47 pm

So a character's presence doesn't carry itself? It's not like Bardock and the GT special don't come back to Goku again in some way regardless of whoever is voicing their lead saiyains.

On topic, Funi's fusion speech. Whoever wrote that script basically gave the Buu arc a purpose in the greater narrative it never really gave itself, at least not as consistently, certainly more than the Japanese lines gave it.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:52 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Okay, now I'm lost and feel we're making divergent points. I'm not asking them to change Goku's adult dub voice. I don't care what they do with the dub. But the fact of the matter is, depending on what you watch, just picking out two random pieces of the franchise, you are probably going to have a different voice for your protagonist.

If you watch the DB TV series, GT series, and one movie, it will be Stephanie Nadolny.

Watch one of the movies, and it will be Colleen Clinkenbeard.

Watch two of the other movies, and it will be Ceyli Delgadillo.

Watch Z or Kai, and it will be Sean Schemmel.

Watch the early Boo arc of Z or Kai, and it will be Kyle Hebert.

Watch the Bardock special, and it will be Sonny Strait.

Watch the Trunks special, and it will be Eric Vale and Dameon Clark.

So all I'm saying is, FUNimation's dub has a A LOT of different voice actors in the protagonist slot. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but it is a thing that exists. And it is a thing that makes it much easier for that fanbase to accept another actor taking the lead role.

Compare it to the Japanese version:

If you watch the DB TV series, GT series, and one movie, it will be Nozawa Masako.

Watch one of the movies, and it will be Nozawa Masako.

Watch two of the other movies, and it will be Nozawa Masako.

Watch Z or Kai, and it will be Nozawa Masako.

Watch the early Boo arc of Z or Kai, and it will be Nozawa Masako.

Watch the Bardock special, and it will be Nozawa Masako.

Watch the Trunks special, and it will be Kusao Takeshi and Nozawa Masako.

Now that's an audience that has been strongly conditioned to believe that, any time they watch Dragon Ball, it's going to be headlined by Nozawa. Because there's never been a time when it hasn't been true. Yes, there's some vocal consistency in the dub, but it's nothing like this. It's a completely different situation. Therefore, it's much easier for a dub fan to say, "Yeah, they really should have given Bardock a different voice." Because that's what they're used to! It's what they often get!
Well, in DB:E Japanese version the lead is voiced by Ranma/Inuyasha instead of Nozawa.
VegettoEX wrote: Gohan:
- Goku's son
- looks similar (though not identical) to Goku as a child
He looks like Goku?

I'm never gonna stop posting this. :lol:
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:59 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:So a character's presence doesn't carry itself? It's not like Bardock and the GT special don't come back to Goku again in some way regardless of whoever is voicing their lead saiyains.
When have I said anything about character presence? Nothing in my argument has said even remotely that. It's about the audience's expectations about what constitutes Dragon Ball. It's always a character resembling Goku, voiced by Nozawa, in the lead protagonist slot. That's the one constant about Dragon Ball.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:10 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:So a character's presence doesn't carry itself? It's not like Bardock and the GT special don't come back to Goku again in some way regardless of whoever is voicing their lead saiyains.
When have I said anything about character presence? Nothing in my argument has said even remotely that. It's about the audience's expectations about what constitutes Dragon Ball. It's always a character resembling Goku, voiced by Nozawa, in the lead protagonist slot. That's the one constant about Dragon Ball.
But that's exactly it- is everyone who is not Goku, as channeled by Nozawa through all of his male relations in his absence, suddenly chopped liver, when every story that's not Trunks circles back around to Goku anyway? I'm really just being petty, as I'm arguing against the necessity of having a voice that continually references Goku (Nozawa in Japanese and nowhere else) to keep things Dragon Ball, when you never never arguing the series needed it, only that that's how it fell out.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:24 pm

Even though I have yet to see the original outside of a few clips, I can say I have noticed the mouth flaps on some other anime I've seen. An English dub would have good lip sync while the Japanese one would sometimes look awkward in comparison, in the eyes of someone who isn't used to it. Not a problem for me, of course, as I've gotten used to it.

Also, is it necessarily a bad thing that English dubs generally cast based on appearance? I think it might be a cultural difference or something.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:45 pm

Nozawa plays every character that she's cast as very well.

BUT I will agree with the notion that maybe she didn't need to play every character she was cast as.

Goku, obviously. No matter what age, no matter what. Goku. This is the only character Nozawa ABSOLUTELY MUST BE.

Gohan, okay. Maybe not necessary for his older self, but fine, they did it with Goku, fine.

Telluce. Uh... all right. Evil version of Goku. Trying to really focus in on that. Evil Goku, okay, Nozawa plays evil Goku.

Bardock... eh. Unnecessary.

Goten. Well, yeah, okay, Goten is the real second coming of Goku, even if he fizzles out even faster than Gohan (doesn't even get to beat a big bad with a partner, let alone himself). I can see that. Not necessary, but understandable why Nozawa plays him.

If Gine is ever animated... let Chiba play her. Yeah, I'm serious. That would be great.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:18 pm

Gaffer, I simply said that while it makes sense for her to play Goku's father, it also makes perfect sense to have someone else play him. I don't see why it's important that she be in everything. It's still Dragon Ball. Just because historically she's been the main character, it's not a requirement that she has to be. How do you know what the Japanese viewers' expectations are? All you've done is inferred what they were.
Westwood, Blue Water Gt, and Ocean Kai say otherwise
Canada doesn't count :D

I'd have to watch the speech again, but I don't recall Goku's speech to Vegeta being that much better.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:49 pm

ABED wrote:Gaffer, I simply said that while it makes sense for her to play Goku's father, it also makes perfect sense to have someone else play him. I don't see why it's important that she be in everything. It's still Dragon Ball. Just because historically she's been the main character, it's not a requirement that she has to be. How do you know what the Japanese viewers' expectations are? All you've done is inferred what they were.
Sigh. I don't know what else to say here. I keep trying to explain to you what it is I'm saying, but you keep going off on something totally different every single time. It's as if I keep putting "2+2" out there and hoping for feedback, yet you keep coming back with "golf ball" as your rebuttal. Granted, this time we're at least approaching the same academic hall as opposed to being on opposite sides of the campus.

To answer your question, though, I don't know what the Japanese viewers' expectations are. I never said I did. I came up with an answer to a question based on existing patterns of the time, and then I extrapolated that idea based on evidence that came afterwards and how the pattern continued. And like I've said, rather than weigh in on that, you keep arguing against something almost totally unrelated. And I'm just not sure how I can bridge this disconnect.

That said, BlazingFiddlesticks definitely seems to get it and is just broadening the discussion (how's that for a segue, huh? :D ):
But that's exactly it- is everyone who is not Goku, as channeled by Nozawa through all of his male relations in his absence, suddenly chopped liver, when every story that's not Trunks circles back around to Goku anyway? I'm really just being petty, as I'm arguing against the necessity of having a voice that continually references Goku (Nozawa in Japanese and nowhere else) to keep things Dragon Ball, when you never never arguing the series needed it, only that that's how it fell out.
That's a good point, but it's interesting to note that, in several of these cases, these are one-off, Toei-exclusive things. Bardock is just the most prominent example that fits my theory to a T. If I recall, Toriyama's original sketch was altered to look even more like Goku, and, obviously, so was his voice. Gohan just seems to be something of a coincidence, since, when he was first introduced, it wasn't obvious at all that he would be taking over for Goku, even for only a short time. By the time he did, he'd already had that voice for years. That said, it was pretty obvious he was intended as a "mini-Goku," even by Toriyama, due to his clothes, him being on earth while Goku was dead, and then there's that very pointed chapter page that shows Goku and Gohan, both in training, both in the same pose. So Toei might have been going off of that when they cast him. Goku Jr.? Very much a case of making another Goku-clone protagonist, even as far as giving him the same name! So it seems pretty obvious to me that Toei doesn't really see any other way of continuing Dragon Ball without having a Goku-esque lead. And I do believe that's self-fulfilling. The more it happens, the more people will expect it.
Last edited by Gaffer Tape on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:57 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
ABED wrote:Gaffer, I simply said that while it makes sense for her to play Goku's father, it also makes perfect sense to have someone else play him. I don't see why it's important that she be in everything. It's still Dragon Ball. Just because historically she's been the main character, it's not a requirement that she has to be. How do you know what the Japanese viewers' expectations are? All you've done is inferred what they were.
Sigh. I don't know what else to say here. I keep trying to explain to you what it is I'm saying, but you keep going off on something totally different every single time. It's as if I keep putting "2+2" out there and hoping for feedback, yet you keep coming back with "golf ball" as your rebuttal. Granted, this time we're at least approaching the same academic hall as opposed to being on opposite sides of the campus.

To answer your question, though, I don't know what the Japanese viewers' expectations are. I never said I did. I came up with an answer to a question based on existing patterns of the time, and then I extrapolated that idea based on evidence that came afterwards and how the pattern continued. And like I've said, rather than weigh in on that, you keep arguing against something almost totally unrelated. And I'm just not sure how I can bridge this disconnect.
You don't have to explain what you are saying, I know what you're saying. You're point isn't complicated, you think that people in Japan have an expectation that she's gonna be the main character. Tell me how the point you quoted is unrelated. I did weigh in on it, but you for some reason didn't see it.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:04 pm

ABED wrote:You don't have to explain what you are saying, I know what you're saying. You're point isn't complicated, you think that people in Japan have an expectation that she's gonna be the main character. Tell me how the point you quoted is unrelated. I did weigh in on it, but you for some reason didn't see it.
If you did, I'm not sure I'm seeing it, honestly. It just looks like it's all about whether you personally think Nozawa should have played Bardock or not, or whether the voice of Goku should play Bardock or not, and it at least seems to infer I have some kind of stake in this at the moment one way or the other. Again, I was just saying what I thought Toei's logic was in casting her in the first place. Outside of that, I have said I think that the dub audience has been shown to probably be more open to another vocal casting choice because of the fact they've done it so many times (in other words, at least in this context, I'm almost defending the choice to cast someone else in English). But whenever I bring that up, you just say that Sean Schemmel has been adult Goku for 15 years, which, to me, is very, very far off the point.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:08 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
ABED wrote:You don't have to explain what you are saying, I know what you're saying. You're point isn't complicated, you think that people in Japan have an expectation that she's gonna be the main character. Tell me how the point you quoted is unrelated. I did weigh in on it, but you for some reason didn't see it.
If you did, I'm not sure I'm seeing it, honestly. It just looks like it's all about whether you personally think Nozawa should have played Bardock or not, or whether the voice of Goku should play Bardock or not, and it at least seems to infer I have some kind of stake in this at the moment one way or the other. Again, I was just saying what I thought Toei's logic was in casting her in the first place. Outside of that, I have said I think that the dub audience has been shown to probably be more open to another vocal casting choice because of the fact they've done it so many times (in other words, at least in this context, I'm almost defending the choice to cast someone else in English). But whenever I bring that up, you just say that Sean Schemmel has been adult Goku for 15 years, which, to me, is very, very far off the point.
No, not what I said. I've said almost every single time that I don't think Nozawa NEEDS to be the one to play Bardock. She can, and she did it very well, just that she doesn't have to play every family member. How did you miss that point? I made it several times.

Uh no, I don't always bring up Schemmel. I admit that I was confused about your point at first but it didn't take me long to catch on.

auspx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by auspx » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:08 am

xmysticgohanx wrote:In what scenes would you guys say this happens? For me personally I prefer the "It's Over 9000" part in the English dub (was it Ocean or Funimation?) over the Japanese even if it was unrealistic because Vegeta wouldn't be that exaggerated when he's at 18,000.
(BTW this discussion can be for any dub.)
I can think of only 3 scenes (all from the FUNimation dub of Bardock, The Father of Goku) where this may be true.
1) The music (not the shitty dialogue) when Bardock first saw what happened to his teammates on Planet Meat.
2) The music right after Bardock survived Dodoria's mouth blast.
3) The music when baby Goku's spaceship approaches Earth.

And of course Bardock's/Tullece's/adult Goku's and Gohan's voices were better in the English dub and excellent in the Mexican Spanish dub. Freeza's voice was excellent in the Spanish dub and in the German dub.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:46 am

One of the big complaints of the old Funi dub days was that they had too few actors voicing too many roles. It's a valid point.

I think Nozawa shouldn't have been so many Goku relatives/clones. Even with her acting skill, it makes more sense to me to let the characters be distinct in more ways. There are a lot of voice actors in Japan that could have done wonderful jobs on roles in the Son family or as Bardock/Tullece. Look at Raditz, Shigeru Chiba did a good job as Goku's brother. Why not take advantage of the good acting pool that Japan works with and let someone else have the roles?

I think Funimation made the right decision to diversify up the assorted Gokus (though, I wouldn't have minded hearing Schemmel as Tullece for an evil Goku voice). Sonny Strait ended up as an enjoyable Bardock (it's just a crime he hasn't gotten to redub it), and something we would have never heard had they not cast another actor in the role.

I'm not saying Nozawa didn't earn her place in these other roles, but I can't help but feel the fact she voiced people either related to, or who looked like the character in question they let her voice had some influence on their decision. Raditz is the least Goku-looking member of his family (bloodwise) in the anime, it seems like more than a coincidence that it's where we end up getting the different voice.

For my Dub>Sub moments, I gotta give Schemmel credit on the screams, he makes them powerful without hitting that level of grating that Nozawa hits at times in her screams (even liking her voice work, sometimes my hears ache at those screams).

The "Cell Games" scene in the Buu Saga was amazing in the dub.

One scene I'm never quite sure why on, but one of my few music preferences to the old dub days is in when Goku goes SSJ3. Not entirely sure why, but I liked it (at least it didn't remove an amazing Kageyama performance, unlike what they did to Gohan going SSJ2...and Kai for that matter; dammit Toei, get Kageyama to do more music for your stuff again *I like Getter Robo and Garo as much as the next guy, but I miss hearing Kageyama in DBZ, Saint Seiya, and Super Sentai*).

Those were just a few off the top of my head (there are a few voice preferences as well, but I'll save those for later).
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!