Dragonball as horror

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Dragonball as horror

Post by Hades » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:11 am

Around the time the Freeza saga started, Dragonball began to have elements of horror (Freeza's transformations and the power at their disposal), but that largely remained an undercurrent until the Cell Saga (when you had an abomination of life devouring everything around it to become stronger like a predator) and the Buu Saga (when you had a being from the periphery of hell threatening existence itself that terrifies even the gods in heaven)

Could DB have worked as a horror series?
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragonball as horror

Post by Fizzer » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:23 am

It's hard to classify Dragon Ball as a particular genre. It's a fantasy-action--adventure-martial arts series loosely based on mythology, with some portions of it having heavy doses of comedy or sci-fi, and bits of horror thrown around here and there. The Great Saiyaman filler arc is basically a rom-com. It's a mish-mash of everything with about the right balance, and I think that's what makes it work.

The Freeza, Cell and Buu arcs were certainly high in tension, but I don't think that's the same as horror. Plenty of things portray dire situations and high-stakes without being horror. I might classify the Cell arc as being in-part horror, along with the non-manga Garlic Jr and Baby arcs.

If the whole series had the darkness and fear-factors that those arcs do (or more), I think it would lose it's magic, but they do work very well as parts of the whole.

FrogTrigger
Beyond Newbie

Post by FrogTrigger » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:04 pm

Depends on what kind

Generally horror protagonists aren't as successful as the dbz crew at vanquishing foes, like there's a world of difference between Uzumaki and dbz

It could work probably

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:20 pm

Fizzer wrote:It's hard to classify Dragon Ball as a particular genre. It's a fantasy-action--adventure-martial arts series loosely based on mythology, with some portions of it having heavy doses of comedy or sci-fi, and bits of horror thrown around here and there. The Great Saiyaman filler arc is basically a rom-com. It's a mish-mash of everything with about the right balance, and I think that's what makes it work.
I love shows that mixes genre, it's one of the reasons I love shows like DB, Yu Yu Hakusho, Supernatural, Buffy, and Angel.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:32 pm

I only felt a sense of horror when it came to Cell's introduction and possibly #19 and #20's introductions, probably because there was a sense of helplessness and it involved civilians.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:07 am

There was a degree of horror when Kuririn was blasted to bits at the hands of Fureeza.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:11 am

The early artificial human and seru arc felt very eerie and horror like, in my opinion.
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:24 am

Why are you calling him Seru?

I wouldn't call the early Cell arc as horror as much as a thriller.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:00 am

Cell/seru/ セル

Seru is cell's original name, so I call him that?
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:55 pm

JackyBoi99 wrote:Cell/seru/ セル

It's based off an English word, it's just the Japanese pronunciation. He's name is Cell because he's made up of cells of the strongest warriors.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:15 pm

Since Dragon Ball has a lot of comedy elements to it, I don't think it would ever feel right as a horror series.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:01 pm

Trunks Special could be kinda classified as horror, you have monsters, that love to kill, and, no matter how you look, situation is desperate. People just have to pray, it won`t be their city, that cyborgs they choose today
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:08 pm

JackyBoi99 wrote:Cell/seru/ セル

Why would you pronounce an english word like non-english speaking foreigners do...? His name is Cell, an english word, seru is just japanese pronunciation of the word.

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:59 pm

Cell it is then :thumbup:

- Kid Buu

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:05 pm

I think I would watch a DB horror special/arc, but I would miss the humor. You could still do horror stuff in the series despite how strong the characters are, you just need an enemy that doesn't rely on strength that wouldn't necessarily fight them in martial arts combat. (Zombies, viruses, realitywarping horrors).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:40 pm

It's like somebody tried this...
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada