Is Dragon Ball among your top favorite Shonen Jump manga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mewzard
I Live Here

Is Dragon Ball among your top favorite Shonen Jump manga?

Post by Mewzard » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:01 pm

For some time, I've thought about what my favorite Jump Manga are, and I came up with my top 10 list for Jump manga (in sequential order):

Fist of the North Star, Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, Toriko, and One-Punch Man.

Oddly enough, it's a reverse pyramid, with four 80s series, three 90s series, two 00s series, and one 10s series.

While I picked out my top ten list, I was never fully able to decide on the order. How did Dragon Ball, my oldest friend among these series, hold up to the others, nostalgia aside?

Honestly, while I still love Dragon Ball, I'm not sure I could place it that high. While Dragon Ball is the biggest seller on the list, they're all interesting manga that are fun in their own way.

Fist of the North Star has a setting and style I enjoy, but mostly disappeared in the wake of the Dragon Ball Era (It was the King of Jump when DB started though). Saint Seiya is quite possibly the most Battle Shonen-y Shonen ever made, and I love it for the constant, insane fights and the amazing armor designs, mythological depictions, and cool attacks. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is quite possibly the most interesting manga on the list, with each part changing protagonist, setting, and style (and his art changes over time), but each is entertaining in their own way, and continuity tends to be maintained even beyond that (it also has some insane fights, and the powers get crazier as time passes).

Yu Yu Hakusho is fun for its mix of school punk and demon hunting/fights, and I liked the personality of the characters involved. Rurouni Kenshin has a charm of its own, and I really like how everything looks in the story. Yu-Gi-Oh! is a series that really changed overtime, but always kept that love of gaming strong (I prefer the earlier volumes where games were varied and Yami kept killing everyone, but the games always tended to be interesting, and I liked seeing how they'd get out of fights).

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo is a series I love, but can hardly follow due to a lack of translations. That said, it's a fun parody of Fist of the North Star that goes its own route, and isn't afraid to have fun being goofy or going nuts with the parody. Toriko may be close to topping my list despite being so new, as I enjoy almost everything about it, from characters to settings to fights and everything in between; it's definitely one of the most creative in terms of settings. One-Punch Man is beautiful, fun and entertaining. Some chapters are so well done, you can make them into animated gifs and see what it would look like as an anime. Hint, it would be amazing:
But yeah, my own questions about Dragon Ball as a series when compared to other Jump manga lead me to a question: Does Dragon Ball fall into your top lists in Jump, and how does it fair? Is it no contest? Are there competitors? Is it low on the list? What is it competing with? What makes Dragon Ball worthy of its place? What could have made it rank higher? And what made you choose your lists?

I'd love to hear what so many long time Dragon Ball fans think of the series as it stacks up with its sister series'.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Re: Is Dragon Ball among your top favorite Shonen Jump manga

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:03 pm

If just Shonen Jump, I guess? The only other SJ title I read is Naruto.
Last edited by Kid Buu on Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:04 pm

It's in the top for me. The manga I've read are Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, Toriko, and Dr. Slump. And I rank them in that order (with Toriko = One Piece).
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:05 pm

No. Dragon Ball's "sister series" do pretty much everything Dragon Ball did, built upon them, and made them not suck.

Dragon Ball may have influenced some shonen, but that doesn't automatically make it good.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:16 pm

I don't read a lot of Shonen Jump manga, because most of it is terrible.

Naruto, Bleach, etc, are terrible. One Piece has a lot of creativity, at least, but its plot is a meandering mess. It's gone everywhere and yet nowhere. In the hundreds of chapters, nobody's made the slightest bit of head way in finding Gold D. Roger's treasure. And the main "pirates" are mostly not even really pirates.

Death Note was pretty good. I own all of that. It's not a fighting manga. A lot of people complain it got terrible once... well, once a certain character left, but I felt the payoff was worth some of the less-than-stellar parts.

I mostly read senien or shonen that Shonen Jump doesn't publish. FMA was a Monthly Shōnen Gangan title, and let's face it, FMA is better than DB, overall. 20th/21st Century Boys, Gunsmith Cats/Gunsmith Cats Burst, Trigun/Trigun Maximum, and the like are senien.

Dragon Ball and Death Note are really the only to SJ titles that interest me.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Looneygamemaster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Looneygamemaster » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:38 pm

I honestly haven't read a whole lot of Shonen Jump manga; I've seen a lot of their anime adaptations, but not the actual manga.

Right now, my top titles would be Rurouni Kenshin, One Piece and Dragon Ball in that order. They're all pretty similar in quality, though (admittedly, I haven't read the material Z covered).

But my favorite manga would be Fullmetal Alchemist.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:44 pm

I haven't read the YYH manga, but doesn't it have more material than even the anime?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:25 pm

ABED wrote:I haven't read the YYH manga, but doesn't it have more material than even the anime?
I haven't watched the anime or read the manga, but I've heard things. I think you're taking about the ending. Since Yoshihiro Togashi (author of the YYH manga) is a lazy guy, the last ten chapters or so were very rushed. To combat the rushed revelations and ridiculous amounts of exposition, Toei skipped some chapters at the end and created their own ending.

Getting back to the topic, my top four shonen are Dragon Ball, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Hunter x Hunter, and One-punch Man (does it count?). Dragon Ball is a iconic masterpiece of shonen to me. It represents everything shonen and started or made tropes even more popular.. However, in my opinion, it does certain stuff better than what modern shonen does now. DB doesn't contain flashbacks that stretch for more than 10 chapters. My big annoyance with One Piece is that it builds upon a whole bunch of nothing making us to expect some overblown payoff. Much of this is done with flashbacks instead of big exposition bubbles. However, these flashbacks become redundant over time because of how much Oda likes to rely on them. They bring all of these unnecessary details that either a)somehow come back later or b) try to make the reader have "feels" (God, I hate that term.). The latter doesn't work hundreds of chapters later because Oda has exhausted every "sad backstory" cliche in the book.

I applaud Oda for his commitment for the series, but he cannot draw flowing action to save his life. The man cannot do choreography. Especially because of his chaotic panels. For many of the panels, I have wondered, "What the hell am I supposed to be looking at?" Many action series are guilty of this, but this is most prevalent in One Piece. See, Toriyama didn't abuse two-page spreads like his life depended on it. Movements were clear because Toriyama gave his characters some negative space to work around with. I can count the number of times I could not follow the movement in DB on one hand. It's also a bonus that Toriyama's art is more pleasant to look at. I'd rather play a game with Toriyama art than a game with Oda art.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:33 pm

theawesomepossum777 wrote:
ABED wrote:I haven't read the YYH manga, but doesn't it have more material than even the anime?
I haven't watched the anime or read the manga, but I've heard things. I think you're taking about the ending. Since Yoshihiro Togashi (author of the YYH manga) is a lazy guy, the last ten chapters or so were very rushed. To combat the rushed revelations and ridiculous amounts of exposition, Toei skipped some chapters at the end and created their own ending.

Getting back to the topic, my top four shonen are Dragon Ball, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Hunter x Hunter, and One-punch Man (does it count?). Dragon Ball is a iconic masterpiece of shonen to me. It represents everything shonen and started or made tropes even more popular.. However, in my opinion, it does certain stuff better than what modern shonen does now. DB doesn't contain flashbacks that stretch for more than 10 chapters. My big annoyance with One Piece is that it builds upon a whole bunch of nothing making us to expect some overblown payoff. Much of this is done with flashbacks instead of big exposition bubbles. However, these flashbacks become redundant over time because of how much Oda likes to rely on them. They bring all of these unnecessary details that either a)somehow come back later or b) try to make the reader have "feels" (God, I hate that term.). The latter doesn't work hundreds of chapters later because Oda has exhausted every "sad backstory" cliche in the book.

I applaud Oda for his commitment for the series, but he cannot draw flowing action to save his life. The man cannot do choreography. Especially because of his chaotic panels. For many of the panels, I have wondered, "What the hell am I supposed to be looking at?" Many action series are guilty of this, but this is most prevalent in One Piece. See, Toriyama didn't abuse two-page spreads like his life depended on it. Movements were clear because Toriyama gave his characters some negative space to work around with. I can count the number of times I could not follow the movement in DB on one hand. It's also a bonus that Toriyama's art is more pleasant to look at. I'd rather play a game with Toriyama art than a game with Oda art.
No, I'm aware of the different endings, I'm referring to stuff like the first volume where Yusuke is trying to return to his body. I vaguely recall him having to go through more trials than in the anime.

I love YYH. I don't know if more than DB, but it's up there. It's very similar in terms of the mixing of genre's and comedy, but I think YYH makes better use its ensemble.

I haven't seen One Piece, but I hear it's good. I would rather wait for it to be over.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:19 pm

ABED wrote:

No, I'm aware of the different endings, I'm referring to stuff like the first volume where Yusuke is trying to return to his body. I vaguely recall him having to go through more trials than in the anime.

I love YYH. I don't know if more than DB, but it's up there. It's very similar in terms of the mixing of genre's and comedy, but I think YYH makes better use its ensemble.

I haven't seen One Piece, but I hear it's good. I would rather wait for it to be over.
The thing with One Piece is that once you've caught up with it, you get addicted to it. I just want to see what happens to the characters. I swear that I have a love/hate relationship with it.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:39 pm

Dragon Ball is definitely my favorite Shonen Jump franchise, but in the scope of the anime/manga world, it's no where near the top spot. Those honors belong to franchises like Gundam, Hajime no Ippo, Macross, Black Jack, Cowboy Bebop, among others.

But Dragon Ball is still great! Unlike a lot of shows, it's accessible enough to where I can pop in a movie or an episode and get lost in it without having to watch the whole arc or TV series.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:19 pm

My problem with One Piece is reading summaries about it is more entertaining that following the manga itself.

I read summaries and profiles and go, "Huh, wow, that's really interesting and creative."

Then I try to read the actual manga and twelve hours later I awaken in a hospital with an IV in me and my loved ones standing over me, telling me I blacked out.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:23 pm

penguintruth wrote:My problem with One Piece is reading summaries about it is more entertaining that following the manga itself.

I read summaries and profiles.
This is a great idea.

Sometimes I skim through random OP chapters and someone is crying like in every chapter. Really annoying.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:25 pm

It's neck and neck with BLEACH, depending on my mood. I enjoy D.Gray-man a lot. Weekly Shonen Jump is filled with a lot of crowd-pleasing, readable series, but my favorites are spread out a little further.

(I guess I should point out One-Punch Man is not a WSJ series, but a Young Jump series, although it runs in Viz's English SJ.)
Last edited by B on Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:27 pm

It definitely is, though it's among quite a few other Jump titles that I love or at least just really like. Let's see here...I'm also a fan of Dr. Slump, Wingman, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Video Girl Ai, Slam Dunk, Yu Yu Hakusho, DNA2, Rurouni Kenshin, Shadow Lady, Yu-Gi-Oh!, I"s, One Piece, Shaman King, Naruto, Zombie Powder, Black Cat, Bleach, Buso Renkin, Death Note, Psyren, Toriko, Bakuman, Rosario+Vampire, Tegami Bachi.

There's also toooonnnsss more of their titles that I really want to look into, ranging from classic stuff like Kochikame, to newer stuff like Nisekoi. Oh, and of course anything from Toriyama, Masakazu Katsura, or Nobuhiro Watsuki that I have yet to read, as those three are easily my three favorite manga authors period.

Oh, and I definitely want to check out Hunter x Hunter, but...I'm pretty much holding off on that one until it actually, you know, ends. Someday. Hopefully. ...?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:04 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Oh, and I definitely want to check out Hunter x Hunter, but...I'm pretty much holding off on that one until it actually, you know, ends. Someday. Hopefully. ...?
Just watch the recent Hunter X Hunter reboot on Crunchyroll, it moves faster and is more consistent than the manga will ever be.

But... yeah... that Dragon Ball sure is a pretty cool manga, 'mirite?
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

SSJ3_Zack
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ3_Zack » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:41 am

Well the only Three Shonen titles I like are DragonBall, Hokuto No Ken and Yu-Yu Hakusho. DragonBall being my favourite. Truth be told Anime/Manga isn't really my thing bar those three and Berserk (Which has one of the best stories I have ever read).

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:27 am

It's in my top three, along with Bleach and Psyren. The actual order is harder for me to pin down, though. And I've read a lot of Shonen Jump titles. :lol:
I haven't read the YYH manga, but doesn't it have more material than even the anime?
It does have some content that the anime didn't adapt. You're correct in that Yusuke goes through my trials to get back his body in the manga than the anime, there are a few side stories. There are also some more things at the end of the manga that weren't adapted, as the anime ended after the Three Kings arc while the manga had a few more side stories and one really short arc before it ended.

That said, the anime also has more material in other areas. It fleshed out some of the rushed part and REALLY expanded the Three Kings arc to counter the rushed treatment it received in the manga, with several more characters appearing, some fights shown to their conclusion (or fights offscreen in the manga being shown onscreen in the anime) and including some new ones.
Last edited by Saiga on Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:33 am

thatdbzguy wrote:No. Dragon Ball's "sister series" do pretty much everything Dragon Ball did, built upon them, and made them not suck.

Dragon Ball may have influenced some shonen, but that doesn't automatically make it good.
Okay just our of curiosity. What is your favourite Shonen Jump series that you actually read?

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:11 am

Actually Studio Pierrot did the YYH anime, not Toei.

On topic, DB is one of my favorite Jump comics. Others include Rurouni Kenshin as became a big fan of it to where when I used to often read manga books in the bookstore when they came out, I didn't with Kenshin and bought every volume before reading them. Also Kenshin was my first cosplay so have a fondness for that, and it has one of my favorite anime/manga villains, Makoto Shishio. (Especially watch the English version of the anime as Steve Blum gave him a great voice). Still keep up with Naruto and One Piece, and like Dr. Slump.