Your personal canon (AGAIN!)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Your personal canon (AGAIN!)

Post by sintzu » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:25 pm

kinisking wrote:I can't even watch the anime weekly without spoiling myself using leaked episode titles or summaries.
Same here. :mrgreen:
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:40 pm

sintzu wrote:
kinisking wrote:I can't even watch the anime weekly without spoiling myself using leaked episode titles or summaries.
Same here. :mrgreen:
Sometimes I wish I never found out about Kanzenshuu or the dragonBall reddit. I would've gone crazy in episode 47 if I didn't know what was coming.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:28 pm

kinisking wrote:Sometimes I wish I never found out about Kanzenshuu or the dragonBall reddit. I would've gone crazy in episode 47 if I didn't know what was coming.
Spoilers like that are everywhere so there's not really a way to avoid them.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:40 pm

sintzu wrote:
kinisking wrote:Sometimes I wish I never found out about Kanzenshuu or the dragonBall reddit. I would've gone crazy in episode 47 if I didn't know what was coming.
Spoilers like that are everywhere so there's not really a way to avoid them.
Only in the online dragonBall community. Before I discovered dragonBalls reddit, I wasnt part of it at all even though I loved dragonBall. The only times I ever interact with dragonBall was actually watching the show and sometimes talking with my brother. It was actually episode 5 that got me into it. I just had to see what other people thought of that.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:26 am

lol Well the annoying thing is that the forums are riddled with spoilers -- whether I'm looking for them or not. Plus, I can't even discuss anything new and there's only so much of the old stuff that people talk about, that I feel a huge disconnect with the Dragon Ball community these days. Most of the old stuff is either dub vs Japanese for the billionth time, or something to do with power or scaling or whatever, and that was never my cup of tea. Oh well, it better be worth it, but something tells me it's not.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:33 am

For now: The manga. That includes Minus, Jaco and Toyotarou's Super manga. I find it easier to work with the Super manga than the Super anime.
My fanfic deviates from canon after the Champa arc, so in its canon I have the manga, Minus, Jaco and Toyotarou's Super manga minus the Zamasu arc and any following arcs, then the fanfic itself.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:02 pm

Personal canon doesn't exist. It's a contradiction.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:10 pm

ABED wrote:Personal canon doesn't exist. It's a contradiction.
It can exist when there isn't an official canon

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:18 pm

Deathbringer wrote:
ABED wrote:Personal canon doesn't exist. It's a contradiction.
It can exist when there isn't an official canon
It is a contradiction as canon is inherently not personal.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:27 pm

ABED wrote:It is a contradiction as canon is inherently not personal.
I don't see how this is a contradiction...? If there's no official canon, you can have what you see as canon in your personal view.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:34 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
ABED wrote:It is a contradiction as canon is inherently not personal.
I don't see how this is a contradiction...? If there's no official canon, you can have what you see as canon in your personal view.
It is. Canon is something official. If there's nothing official (which there is, just implicit), then there's no canon. To say there is such a thing as personal canon is confusing. I don't know why there's this incessant need of any type of canon, including the insanely stupid concept "head canon".

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:28 pm

Wait have we been here before? I feel like we've been here before.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:29 pm

Zephyr wrote:Wait have we been here before? I feel like we've been here before.
It seems like it will inevitably come back to this issue, especially when a new canon thread is created.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:33 pm

ABED wrote:
Zephyr wrote:Wait have we been here before? I feel like we've been here before.
It seems like it will inevitably come back to this issue, especially when a new canon thread is created.
The only person making any sort of issue out of it is you.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:38 pm

But I mean....

You've had the concept explained to you before. Several times. By several users. In painstaking detail. You even admitted that you understood what was meant by it.

I don't see the point in reminding everyone that you think the semantic value of the strictest definitions of the words used to articulate the concept are logically incoherent together. That's not the point of the thread at all. I'm sure another thread dedicated to that point might be more up your alley?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:39 pm

Deathbringer wrote:There isn't an official canon.
Toriyama's stories are the canon as long as he's still the franchise's main writer.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:44 pm

The only person making any sort of issue out of it is you.
Because there's such confusion.
I don't see the point in reminding everyone that you think the semantic value of the strictest definitions of the words used to articulate the concept are logically incoherent together.
Maybe if people were more consistent, they wouldn't be so confused on these issues. And to turn this around, I don't see the point of putting these two concepts together. You're just confusing people.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:10 pm

sintzu wrote:
Deathbringer wrote:There isn't an official canon.
Toriyama's stories are the canon as long as he's still the franchise's main writer.
I do agree with this but at the same time Toriyama/Shueisha/Toei have never given us a definitive official canon (despite the fact that they seem to silently acknowledge that Toriyama's works are the "canon" for lack of a better word)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:22 pm

Deathbringer wrote:Despite the fact that they seem to silently acknowledge that Toriyama's works are the "canon" for lack of a better word
Yet for some reason they won't announce it.

The only thing I can think of is that they're afraid if they do then fans won't support their other products like the movies, GT, ect.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:15 pm

I don't recall this ever being an issue that long ago, so maybe the powers that be either don't know about this issue nor feel any need to make a statement about something that feels like a relatively recent phenomena (i.e. the issue of DB canon.) Does anyone remember canon being an issue back in the 90s?