Your personal canon (AGAIN!)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: Your personal canon (AGAIN!)

Post by rereboy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:55 pm

ABED wrote:You don't need a term for it.
Who said anyone needed it? People want it because it's effective and simple in making the point across.
It's short and easy enough. "What I would like to be canon" is seven short clear words.
Then use it yourself. What is it to you if others choose differently and use a term instead of defining/explaining the concept every time they talk about it? You simply disliking it is not an argument.
And of course this is lazy.
Because you think it is, so it must be? And even if it was, again, what is it to you, especially if it makes the point across for most people?
Language doesn't work the way you claim it does.
We don't come up with terms to refer to concepts instead of defining/explaining those concepts everytime we want to refer to them?
Definitions subsume similar items. Canon and what you want are NOT the same.
The term doesn't imply that canon and what we want are the same thing, as it was already explained to you. The fact that it's named "headcanon" and not "canon" implies that it's not the same thing.
Full descriptions? Good lord, it's seven words.
Being seven words stops it from being a full definition/description of the concept?
And the irony is so delicious. Someone not a few posts ago was in fact confused.
Oh, my... you mean that you discovered that the term is not 100% infallible in making the point across, especially with people not familiar with the term or the concept, just like there is nothing 100% infallible in this world? I guess we better stop using a LOT of stuff then. Ironic, indeed.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:42 am

Anime Kitten wrote:
ABED wrote:How was that a contradiction?
Because, the entire time here, you've been opposed to the idea of personal canon, and then you outright say that it's a simple seven-word phrase, and return once more to your previous stance by saying that canon and what someone wants are not the same.
That isn't a contradiction.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:01 am

ABED wrote:
Anime Kitten wrote:
ABED wrote:How was that a contradiction?
Because, the entire time here, you've been opposed to the idea of personal canon, and then you outright say that it's a simple seven-word phrase, and return once more to your previous stance by saying that canon and what someone wants are not the same.
That isn't a contradiction.
Yes it is.

But can we please get back on topic?

Almighty Majin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Almighty Majin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:08 pm

Let's go over what might be Toriyama's personal canon and thus what could be agreed to be canon by a certain amount of people:
Toriyama's "Canon":
Dragon Ball Minus (Bardock: the Father of Goku also?)
Galactic Patrol Mangas (Sachie Chan Guu!!, Jiya, Jaco)
Dragon Ball Manga
Yo! Son Goku and Friends Return!
Dragon Ball Super Anime and Manga (as he only writes the manuscripts)
Dragon Ball Online

My personal continuity:
Bardock Stories (Dragon Ball Minus, Bardock: the Father of Goku, Episode of Bardock)
Galactic Patrol Mangas
Dragon Ball Manga + Toriyama's words and the guidebooks
Dragon Ball Z Movies (only 1, 5, 8-11, and 13)
Dragon Ball OVA's (Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans and Yo! Son Goku and Friends Return!)
Dragon Ball Super Anime
Dragon Ball Online

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:45 am

ahem, since this is personal canon, then that means that I can use fan fiction :) in my timeline ( as this is my personal canon of course :) not meant to be taken seriously at all)

Savior of demon's arcos special

Bardock the father of Goku

Dragon ball

Dragon ball z (Bojack's movie)

Dragon ball z battle of gods

Dragon ball z Fukkatsu no 'F'

Dragon ball super

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:25 am

Almighty Majin wrote:Let's go over what might be Toriyama's personal canon and thus what could be agreed to be canon by a certain amount of people:
Toriyama's "Canon":
Dragon Ball Manga
Dragon Ball Online
For the sake of clarification:
  • Toriyama claims to enjoy the television special of Bardock's story. I understand why it's a fair assumption to believe he thinks its events happened exactly as portrayed in his original story. However, Dragon Ball Minus proved he considered one aspect of the television special while adding in his own continuity of Bardock's character.
  • Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!! was Toriyama's concept. It's fair to believe he considered Tarble & the like but Koyama ultimately wrote it. It's not as if he gave it the Battle of Gods & Resurrection F script treatment. It's akin to Dragon Ball Super's outline, if that. He's only offficialy credited with "concept".
  • To my knowledge. Toriyama only provided character designs for Dragon Ball Online. I haven't seen or don't recall reports that he was involved with its story details.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:38 pm

I think there are 2 canon

Anime canon:

Bardock TV Special
Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z/Kai
Trunks TV Special
Dragon Ball Super

Manga canon:

Dragon Ball Minus
Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Super

I consider these two both as canon. The rest are side stories. The new movies no longer count as both the anime and the manga have retold them/contradicted some things of it.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:43 am

My New Canon!

Canon 1
Dragon Ball Manga (Full Color), Jaco Manga, Yo! Son Goku Manga, Battle of Gods Extended, Resurrection 'F' Extended, Super Manga Chapter 5-present, Neko Majin, Dr. Slump Manga, (Retcon God with Dragon Ball's Kami-Sama)

Canon 2
Dragon Ball Anime (IAmTheMilkMan's Recut Version), Dragon Ball Kai, Dragon Ball Kai: The Final Chapters (+Anoyo'ichi Budokai), Dragon Ball Super Anime, TV Specials 1&2, Yo! Son Goku OVA, Dr. Slump Anime (Same Retcon)

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:30 pm

I'm done with the personal canon thing. I'm just gonna go by what they tell me. "What's that? GT doesn't exist? Sure. What's that? The last two movies don't really exist because they were rewritten for this series? Sure." I guess I'll just immerse myself in the world of whatever it is that I'm watching. Let me give an example:

- If I'm reading the manga, I'm reading 42 volumes of Dragon Ball. There's nothing else. I don't care, but that's it; the holy grail right there.

- If I'm watching Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z, that's its own entity as well.

- If I'm watching Dragon Ball GT, I'm taking into consideration everything that happened in Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and the movies (minus the newer material that came out after GT).

- If I'm watching Dragon Ball Z Kai... well, I guess Dragon Ball is the only thing that I take into consideration.

- If I'm watching the movies, they're their own thing and I don't count anything outside of them.

- If I'm watching Super (when I do), I'll consider anything Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Minus, and Jaco.

- If I'm watching Battle of Gods or Resurrection "F," I'm taking anything Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z into consideration.

- If I'm ready the Dragon Ball Super manga, I'm taking into consideration the 42 volumes of the manga.

Basically, I'm taking each piece of media as its own thing and going by what it intended to encompass. Like GT was supposed to be a continuation of DB and Z, so that's how I'll look at it. I would do the same for Super. But never shall they cross paths. I'm going by a case-by-case basis, I guess. I'm tired of trying to fit everything into my "personal" canon.

Almighty Majin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Almighty Majin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:33 pm

Nejishiki wrote:
Almighty Majin wrote:Let's go over what might be Toriyama's personal canon and thus what could be agreed to be canon by a certain amount of people:
Toriyama's "Canon":
Dragon Ball Manga
Dragon Ball Online
For the sake of clarification:
  • Toriyama claims to enjoy the television special of Bardock's story. I understand why it's a fair assumption to believe he thinks its events happened exactly as portrayed in his original story. However, Dragon Ball Minus proved he considered one aspect of the television special while adding in his own continuity of Bardock's character.
  • Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!! was Toriyama's concept. It's fair to believe he considered Tarble & the like but Koyama ultimately wrote it. It's not as if he gave it the Battle of Gods & Resurrection F script treatment. It's akin to Dragon Ball Super's outline, if that. He's only offficialy credited with "concept".
  • To my knowledge. Toriyama only provided character designs for Dragon Ball Online. I haven't seen or don't recall reports that he was involved with its story details.
Ah I see that does make sense. I had included the Bardock special just to be safe and I wasn't too sure on Dragon Ball Online since I was not sure if he was involved in the story or not.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:22 pm

Well, Toriyama wasn't involved in the Tarble's OVA, Koyama is the one credited for the story.

Also, it'd be too gullible to think Toriyama had no attachment to Dragon Ball Online's story whatsoever, he spent five years in its development. Bardock's personality you saw in Dragon Ball Minus also came from Dragon Ball Online, and Toriyama himself said it takes place after his manga.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:39 pm

Grimlock wrote:Well, Toriyama wasn't involved in the Tarble's OVA, Koyama is the one credited for the story.
Slightly off-topic, but how stupid is this? When you're adapting a work, you can't start creating characters that were never meant to be there. This isn't some one-and-done character that comes out of nowhere and can easily be forgotten; this is one of the main protagonists' sibling. At least consult the author first. Now we have no Tarble. I mean... not that he was anything spectacular anyway.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:07 pm

Grimlock wrote:Well, Toriyama wasn't involved in the Tarble's OVA, Koyama is the one credited for the story.
He was as involved with it as much as he is with Super. Like for Super, he wrote the story draft, but Koyama adapted it into a script for the anime special, and then Ooishi adapted the anime into a manga with help from Toriyama. However, Toriyama isn't credited for designing any characters for it.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Quintex

Post by Quintex » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:00 pm

Personally my canon would go something like this:

DBZ Special 1: Bardock, Father of Goku
(Due to it being a better story than Minus, and that being the incarnation of Bardock we see in a single manga panel, but Gine's character is canon)

Dragon Ball Manga Chapters 1 to 517

Yo! Son Goku and his Friends Return!
(Due to Tarble being mentioned in Battle of Gods and being a nice sidestory on it's own)

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods
(It follows the manga's canon more closely than Z's anime did, Gregory not being around for example, and serves as an all around bombastic finale to the series that pays it's respect to early and late Dragon Ball)

Dragon Ball Manga Chapters 518 and 519

And Neko Majinn Z, not for being strictly canon, but for Toriyama including Oob living with Goku and his family during his training.

Plus "Trunks: The Story" from the manga due to it making more sense with main timeline Trunks having Super Saiyan as a child in the Boo arc. Trunk's sidestory takes place in one of many timelines.

All this together doesn't leave any room for any real plot holes or inconsistencies. Only part that irks me is Vegeta's enraged SSJ2 form being stronger than Goku's SSJ3, but I handwave that as Roshi saying Vegeta's surpassed Goku's SSJ2 form. If you take that line away, it's perfect. The rest of the movies are alternate timelines, along with certain anime fillers, but I personally wouldn't include GT, Super or Ressurection F in any timeline. They have their merits, and I want their material to appear in video games, but they're just too inconsistent for me.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:17 pm

My Canon:
Dragon Ball Z: Bardock Father of Goku.
Jaco the Galactic patrolman.
Dragon Ball (Anime).
Dragon Ball Z Kai.
Dragon Ball Z: History of Trunks.
Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters (Not including the 28th martial arts tournament/Uub saga, although this could change depending on how Super goes).
Dragon Ball Z: Yo! Son Goku and his friends return.
Dragon Ball Z Battle of Gods (Extended Edition).
Dragon Ball Z Resurrection ‘F (Future Trunks Edition).
Dragon Ball Super episodes 28 onwards(excluding episode 69).

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:36 pm

I wonder what percentage of the fandom sees the DBS retellings of BOG and ROF as the new canon overwriting the movies? I personally think the movies are still canon (to the "Toriyama canon" if that makes sense) because they're the original source material, like how we all consider the DB manga to be canon over the anime (or at least be in its own canon) because it's the source material and adaptations don't overwrite it.

I mean once we get into the stuff after those retellings it gets a bit harder because the "source material" in this sense is the ideas that Toriyama comes up with so it's not as easy as saying it's the version that gets released first and even then it's hard to tell if the anime or the manga is closer to Toriyama's vision (though I am leaning closer towards the manga the more I learn about it especially the whole thing about Toriyama looking over it and approving it which we haven't really heard happening with the anime version.)

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:27 am

Also, it'd be too gullible to think Toriyama had no attachment to Dragon Ball Online's story whatsoever, he spent five years in its development. Bardock's personality you saw in Dragon Ball Minus also came from Dragon Ball Online, and Toriyama himself said it takes place after his manga.
As I covered, Toriyama provided its concept. As far as writing is concerned, Koyama handled it. Regarding Dragon Ball Online, you're correct in that he supervised the project. However, he handled it through the same position he supervised & provided character designs for Dragon Ball Xenoverse. Nothing exists in plain English (Japanese, Korean) where he claims to have written its story details. The video game considers the Dragon Ball manga but there's no conclusive outcome to determine the Dragon Ball manga leads into Dragon Ball Online. I sincerely believe if he directly wrote anything story-related, it would be heavily advertised as it is in other mediums. Concerning Bardock, I'm not quite sure what leads you to believe his personality in the video game reflects that of Dragon Ball Minus' Bardock (the most alien of portrayals). All interpretations of Bardock's character consistently clash with each other! :lol:
Deathbringer wrote:I wonder what percentage of the fandom sees the DBS retellings of BOG and ROF as the new canon overwriting the movies? I personally think the movies are still canon (to the "Toriyama canon" if that makes sense) because they're the original source material, like how we all consider the DB manga to be canon over the anime (or at least be in its own canon) because it's the source material and adaptations don't overwrite it.

I mean once we get into the stuff after those retellings it gets a bit harder because the "source material" in this sense is the ideas that Toriyama comes up with so it's not as easy as saying it's the version that gets released first and even then it's hard to tell if the anime or the manga is closer to Toriyama's vision (though I am leaning closer towards the manga the more I learn about it especially the whole thing about Toriyama looking over it and approving it which we haven't really heard happening with the anime version.)
I don't particularity perceive "new canon" more that I see perceive separate continuities. The Dragon Ball Z movies scripted by Toriyama are consistent with each other. Dragon Ball Super's anime continuity never minds what Toriyama's films established & never asks its audience to do as much either. Dragon Ball Super's manga continuity also minds its own internal logic. Neither source is concerned with Toriyama's films & that's ultimately the point. Both products are intended to weave in their own interpretations of Toriyama's outline. Toriyama happens to push Toyotaro in providing his own flavor to the story, which he's done since the beginning of his promotional run. Neither version will be truer to Toriyama's vision as the intention was separate creativity with both parties from the beginning. They'll only share the base ideas.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:27 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:Slightly off-topic, but how stupid is this? When you're adapting a work, you can't start creating characters that were never meant to be there. This isn't some one-and-done character that comes out of nowhere and can easily be forgotten; this is one of the main protagonists' sibling. At least consult the author first. Now we have no Tarble. I mean... not that he was anything spectacular anyway.
I agree, but in this case, it's on the contrary, his absence in Dragon Ball Super kind of bothers me because he is meant to be there but they left him out.
Nejishiki wrote:Regarding Dragon Ball Online, you're correct in that he supervised the project. However, he handled it through the same position he supervised & provided character designs for Dragon Ball Xenoverse. Nothing exists in plain English (Japanese, Korean) where he claims to have written its story details. The video game considers the Dragon Ball manga but there's no conclusive outcome to determine the Dragon Ball manga leads into Dragon Ball Online. I sincerely believe if he directly wrote anything story-related, it would be heavily advertised as it is in other mediums. Concerning Bardock, I'm not quite sure what leads you to believe his personality in the video game reflects that of Dragon Ball Minus' Bardock (the most alien of portrayals). All interpretations of Bardock's character consistently clash with each other! :lol:
As I said, he spent years in Dragon Ball Online's development, he did more than just providing designs. I don't think it's even humanly possible to be involved in a project and don't get attached to all aspects of it, or at least don't get involved or providing ideas and such. The lack of information about it is suspicious of course but hey... Let's remember that Dragon Ball Online is a 2010 game but only in 2016 we would learn that Mira and Towa came from Toriyama himself. Give more time, eventually we'll know if he had involvement or not. As for Bardock, being more specific, his personality towards Goku, in Dragon Ball Online, he aids the Time Patrollers because Goku is in danger, I don't see Episode of Bardock's Bardock doing that, let alone TV Special's Bardock.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:34 pm

Considering Toriyama's interviews, I'm quite sure he doesn't consider anything he hasn't written "canon"
Most likely in his head the canon is:

Dragon Ball Minus
Dragon Ball Manga
Dragon Ball Super, probably the manga, as he supervises every storyboard and personally chose Toyotaro to write the "continuation of his story" (he stated he is lucky a artist like Toyotaro is doing it) basically Toyotaro draws it because Toriyama can't/doesn't want anymore. Though he also considers the anime (also criticized it) and we don't know the full extent of his work with the anime staff.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Quantum-Kakarrotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Quantum-Kakarrotto » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:55 pm

Updating my personal canon after finding some great fan stories that I would love to add into my canon :)

Manga Canon
- Jaco The Galactic Patrolman
- Dragon Ball Minus
- Dragon Ball Manga (Chapter 1-517)
- Dragon Ball Super Manga (Chapters 1-4)
- Dragon Ball Z Resurrection F Manga Promotion
- Dragon Ball Super (Chapters 5-Finish)
- Dragon Ball Manga (Chapter 518 & 519)

Anime Canon 1
- Bardock: Father of Goku
- Dragon Ball Zero: The Origin of Raditz
- Dragon Ball
- Dragon Ball Z (Saiyan-Frieza Arc)
- History of Trunks
- Dragon Ball Z (Trunks Arc)
- Movie 5: Cooler's Revenge
- Dragon Ball Z (Artificial Humans-Cell Arc)
- Movie 9: Bojack Unbound
- Dragon Ball Z (Otherworld-Buu Arc)
- Movie 13: Wrath of the Dragon
- Yo Son Goku & Friends Return
- 10 years later
- Dragon Ball GT
- Goku Jr. Special
- GT Ep. 64 ending
- Dragon Ball Centuries Fan Manga (Story of Goku Jr. post 64th Tenkaichi Budokai)

Anime Canon 2
- Episode of Bardock
- Bardock: Father of Goku
- Dragon Ball
- Dragon Ball Kai (Saiyan to Frieza)
- History of Trunks
- Dragon Ball Kai (Artificial Humans-Cell Arc)
- Dragon Ball Kai Final Chapters (Buu arc)
- Dragon Ball Super
- Final Chapters (10 years later)

Been enjoying DB Centuries by Karoine, if you haven't checked it out, I hope you will. I'm loving it so far. :) :clap: