DBZ Battle of Gods DVD/Blu-Ray Released in Mexico

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

soulnova
Advanced Regular

DBZ Battle of Gods DVD/Blu-Ray Released in Mexico

Post by soulnova » Wed May 07, 2014 5:09 pm

Well, I just wanted to let you know this has just been released here in Mexico on Mixup and in Blockbuster (yes, we STILL have those). I bought the Blue-Ray a couple of hours ago and I'll check the quality and if it has any extras as soon as I get home.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Re: DBZ Battle of Gods DVD/Blu-Ray Released in Mexico

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed May 07, 2014 5:23 pm

Four questions:
1) Is it an official release?
2) How the PQ? *you've already said you're going to see 'bout it*
3) Does it have English subtitles?
4) Is it compatible with Region B (Blu-ray release)?
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed May 07, 2014 5:46 pm

Was there a Spanish dub??
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed May 07, 2014 5:49 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:Was there a Spanish dub??
Yeah, a Latin Spanish dub and I read something about Spain (Castellano) getting their own dub too.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Wed May 07, 2014 7:27 pm

Yes, there are dubs for both Latin Americans, and European Latinos.

http://www.amazon.es/s/ref=sr_nr_n_25?r ... 1703620031

Latin American boxes are hard to come by.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed May 07, 2014 7:29 pm

Gokuden wrote:Yes, there are dubs for both Latin Americans, and European Latinos.

What?
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Wed May 07, 2014 7:31 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Gokuden wrote:Yes, there are dubs for both Latin Americans, and European Latinos.

What?
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 009AAynEnb

English don't use it, so I understand your disbelief.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed May 07, 2014 7:34 pm

That term that you used gave the wrong impression you should've said instead "European Spanish".
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Wed May 07, 2014 7:37 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:That term that you used gave the wrong impression you should've said instead "European Spanish".
Why did it give the wrong impression? You are taking away their identity if you chose to call them by something else.
trodon commented 3 months ago
well, that's an historiccal mistake. they are the true latins. a mistake that if repeated often becomes truth and the true latins loose their name. but what do you cal them after all? romanics? neo-latins? mediterranics? the same aplies to the term 'hispanic', wich refers to iberian peninsula
This man is my hero:

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed May 07, 2014 7:42 pm

Simply because in Europe there's the Spanish, French, Portuguese, Swedish, English and etc. I for one prefer to firstly be known as Portuguese, secondly as Latin, thirdly as European (kinda regret it but can't do anything about it).

Just refer to Spanish Spain or "European Spanish" so people know what you're on about.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Wed May 07, 2014 7:46 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Simply because in Europe there's the Spanish, French, Portuguese, Swedish, English and etc. I for one prefer to firstly be known as Portuguese, secondly as Latin, thirdly as European (kinda regret it but can't do anything about it).

Just refer to Spanish Spain or "European Spanish" so people know what you're on about.
My grandmother is from Spain, and other grandparents from France, I prefer to be called Euro-Latin.
This man is my hero:

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Thu May 08, 2014 5:15 am

I'm sorry?
Gokuden wrote:English don't use it, so I understand your disbelief.
I'm Spanish, and I've never heard about it either.
Gokuden wrote:well, that's an historiccal mistake. they are the true latins. a mistake that if repeated often becomes truth and the true latins loose their name. but what do you cal them after all? romanics? neo-latins? mediterranics? the same aplies to the term 'hispanic', wich refers to iberian peninsula
The correct term in this case would be "Spaniards", just like, nowadays, people in Italy are called Italians, not Neo-Latins or anything like that.
Technically, the true latins lived in the area of Italy called Lazio, which would give origin to the Roman Empire.
I see your point, but talking about "European Latinos" feels plain wrong: it could refer to any European country which was conquered by the Roman empire.

Furthermore, if we were to discuss about races, Spain and Portugal are the countries with less Latin "purity": we've got Prerromanic, Roman, Viking, Arabic and Jewish genes, among others.

But enough from my part: how is the BoG Blu-Ray?
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Thu May 08, 2014 8:49 am

Yeah, it sounds weird to call Spaniards "European-Latin". :wink: This one is Latin American Spanish.

Four questions:
1) Is it an official release? Yes. Released by VIDEOMAX.
2) How the PQ? *you've already said you're going to see 'bout it* The quality is as good as it can. The colors are bright and crisp. BoG has some CGI effects that didn't look so good on big screen, here is the same.
3) Does it have English subtitles? No.
4) Is it compatible with Region B (Blu-ray release)? I don't know for sure. There's a small "A" on a square in the back so I guess its region A.

Overall, the quality of the movie is good....

Cons: There's no Japanese voice audio track available. This was a bummer. In fact, the main menu looks like something out of Flash with only "START" and "Scene Selection", there are no other settings. :( It IS cheap (about $20 dollars), but if the only thing you want is the movie in good quality (and the Latin sub) then this can be your pick.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Thu May 08, 2014 9:45 am

A very random curiosity: Does the logo in the opening say 'BATTLE OF GODS' or 'BATALLA DE LOS DIOSES'?
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Thu May 08, 2014 10:03 am

Puto wrote:A very random curiosity: Does the logo in the opening say 'BATTLE OF GODS' or 'BATALLA DE LOS DIOSES'?
You mean IN the movie? They kept the original intro. It says:

DRAGON BALL Z
BATTLE (*kanji* kami to kami *kanji*) OF GODS

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu May 08, 2014 10:08 am

Meanwhile, In America.

".............."
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Thu May 08, 2014 10:33 am

soulnova wrote:Cons: There's no Japanese voice audio track available. This was a bummer.
MY. GOD. Why do companies keep doing stuff like this?
Btw, how many official DVD releases of DB have there been in Mexico? I'd always heard that all of them were bootlegs.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Thu May 08, 2014 12:02 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:
soulnova wrote:Cons: There's no Japanese voice audio track available. This was a bummer.
MY. GOD. Why do companies keep doing stuff like this?
Btw, how many official DVD releases of DB have there been in Mexico? I'd always heard that all of them were bootlegs.

Although I seem to recall there was an official VHS of The Tree of Might, there was nothing DBZ official (series wise) until a couple of years ago when OnScreen started to release some of original episodes on "loose" DVDs. You could buy 2 or 3 episodes on a single DVD on the equivalents of 7-Elevens here in Mexico. Then they released the first and second seasons sets for Dragon Ball... and moved directly to DBZ. I believe they have released until around the Ginyu arc but there are no announcements they will keep going. I got the first DBZ set with some 19 episodes of the Saiyan arc. The quality is more like VHS-rip, nothing compared to the HD torrents you can find online. :shifty:

19 episodes for about 7 dollars. For here in Mexico that's actually "not too bad".

http://www.peliculasenpantalla.com/web/ ... ragon+ball

What surprises me the most is that they actually released a complete set for GT.

On the other hand, Sailor Moon has just being also released on DVD here too (other distributor), with much better quality and are up to Sailor Moon R. I believe this one ACTUALLY has the japanese audio track available. I remember my 7 year old niece commenting Usagi's voice to be very, VERY high pitched in Japanase when I lend her the DVD to watch.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Thu May 08, 2014 2:40 pm

Just got my copy, there are no extras unfortunately.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Thu May 08, 2014 2:54 pm

Well, I'm not gonna lie: that cover DOES look like a bootleg. It's weird how the biggest text in all the cover is the episode count :lol:
I suppose that a complete release of the series would be a success there.

PS: 19 episodes for about 7 dollars? The Mexican sets are reeeeeeeeally cheap. I mean, look at the prices the new Spanish sets have:
DB (set 1): 28 episodes, about 48 US dollars.
DB (sets 2-4): 20 episodes, about 48 US dollars.
DBZ (sets 1-4): 40 episodes, about 62 US dollars.