If a different mangaka wrote Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Buu
I Live Here

If a different mangaka wrote Dragon Ball

Post by Kid Buu » Thu May 29, 2014 4:32 am

This thread was made a while ago but since we aren't allowed to bump old threads I decided to make a new one.

If Naoko Takeuchi wrote Dragon Ball...
1.) Bulma would never meet Goku, instead she'd go off on her Journey alone and Yamcha (or a more suave Adult Goku) would save her everytime until they became a couple
2.) Bulma and Yamcha would have a Chibi kid from the future, so kind of like Trunks.
3.) Instead of fighting over Dragon Balls, Yamcha would battle the villains over who wants to bone Bulma more.
4.) Puar and Oolong would stay more relevant as mentor characters, but the other fighters would be good in their debut then fall behind, so not too different.
5.) The franchise would be highly protected. No milking with events such as "DB Minus" or releases such as "Rock the Dragon"
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: If a different mangka wrote Dragon Ball

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Thu May 29, 2014 4:40 am

I really can't imagine Dragon Ball being written by anyone else... at least for the Pre-Daimaou portion. Much of its charm is attributed to Toriyama's writing style and humor. I'd love to see what other mangaka could do basing their story on Journey to the West, however (there are probably plenty I don't even know of).

dodge2461
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dodge2461 » Thu May 29, 2014 10:06 am

Yoshiro Togashi: We'd still be in the Cell arc.

If Eiichiro Oda wrote Dragon Ball, there would be overuse of the sound effect "DOOM!"

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu May 29, 2014 11:29 am

If Masashi Kishimoto wrote DB, every character would have a tragic sob story as their backstory, and would have a lot of flashbacks :)

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu May 29, 2014 11:41 am

dodge2461 wrote:Yoshiro Togashi: We'd still be in the Cell arc.
:lol: You win the thread, game over.

Hmm...honestly, Toriyama is the only one I can really imagine having done Dragon Ball, because it's such a Toriyama story. That said though...hmm.

If Nobuhiro Watsuki (Rurouni Kenshin/Buso Renkin/Embalming) had done Dragon Ball, it probably would have been a bit shorter (let's say...it'd end with Freeza probably, or maybe even Vegeta); there would be more focus on Goku 'fighting against his Saiyan nature'; the other characters would get a little more focus and get some fights of their own to win; and, yes, I'm saying it - the fight scenes would look even more awesome than Toriyama's. Seriously, have you seen Watsuki's speed lines in the Kenshin manga? *drools over the awesomeness*

If, however, Masakazu Katsura (Video Girl Ai/I"s/DNA2/Zetman/various Toriyama collaborations), had done Dragon Ball...there would be even more intricate art, though perhaps the battles wouldn't look quite as dynamic; there'd be a lot more focus on the romance aspect of the series; would also likely be much shorter, even more so than Watsuki's take (let's say Daimao arc); and there'd be Batman references galore. Oh, and in this alternate reality, Toriyama would have taken to trying to draw romantic comedy stories in Katsura's place, and the universe implodes from the sheer insanity of that idea.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu May 29, 2014 11:50 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
If Nobuhiro Watsuki (Rurouni Kenshin/Buso Renkin/Embalming) had done Dragon Ball, it probably would have been a bit shorter (let's say...it'd end with Freeza probably, or maybe even Vegeta); there would be more focus on Goku 'fighting against his Saiyan nature'; the other characters would get a little more focus and get some fights of their own to win; and, yes, I'm saying it - the fight scenes would look even more awesome than Toriyama's. Seriously, have you seen Watsuki's speed lines in the Kenshin manga? *drools over the awesomeness*
Damn, you beat me to it. I'd love to see Watsuki do a take on Dragon Ball.
Totally agree about the fights as well.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu May 29, 2014 1:12 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Damn, you beat me to it. I'd love to see Watsuki do a take on Dragon Ball.
Heh, well Watsuki, along with Toriyama and Katsura, are my three favorite manga artists, so they're pretty much always at the forefront of my mind in these kinds of things. :P

Forgot to mention on Katsura's take, there would also be a looooottttt more fan-service, and drawn much more detailed than Toriyama's...so...yay for that notion? I'm sure Scarz would approve!
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu May 29, 2014 1:19 pm

Let Hideaki Anno write it and have Gohan on the verge of suicide for the entire series due to a neglectful father who wants him to fight.

"GET ON THE CLOUD, GOHAN!"
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

FrogTrigger
Beyond Newbie

Post by FrogTrigger » Thu May 29, 2014 6:38 pm

Keisuke Itagaki would have everybody super jacked and extra violent

With Goku and Gohan having to fight a prehistoric legendary super Saigon before destroying each other in a powerful climactic battle. This thread kinda makes me wonder what DB would be like if Jack Kirby was the author

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu May 29, 2014 6:45 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:Damn, you beat me to it. I'd love to see Watsuki do a take on Dragon Ball.
Heh, well Watsuki, along with Toriyama and Katsura, are my three favorite manga artists, so they're pretty much always at the forefront of my mind in these kinds of things. :P

Forgot to mention on Katsura's take, there would also be a looooottttt more fan-service, and drawn much more detailed than Toriyama's...so...yay for that notion? I'm sure Scarz would approve!
A shame Watsuki wasent involved in that Mangaka Toriyama tribute. Would have loved to see some DB characters in his artstyle.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Thu May 29, 2014 6:59 pm

If Oda wrote Dragon Ball, it would manage to keep it's charm AND he would manage to turn DB into an actual well-written story.

Not too sure how the mangakas of Naruto and Bleach would perform if they were put to the task. They'd probably make it a better-written story, but only slightly, and the charm of DB would probably be gone.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu May 29, 2014 7:03 pm

I want to see Murata Yusuke do something, ANYTHING Dragon Ball. I think about fights between DB characters being drawn the same way as in OnePunch-Man and I start to salivate.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu May 29, 2014 7:13 pm

Kaboom wrote:I want to see Murata Yusuke do something, ANYTHING Dragon Ball. I think about fights between DB characters being drawn the same way as in OnePunch-Man and I start to salivate.
I get a *insert sexual reference here* at the thought of Yutaka Nakamura and Takahiro Shikama animating Dragonball together.

Wonder how Dragonball would look like if drawn by Hiro Mashima.
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu May 29, 2014 7:33 pm

If Kiyohiko Azuma wrote it, it'd be a slice of life tale of Bulma finding Son Goku, a little girl, in the woods, raising her with her family and going to school.

I wanna see a Slice of life Dragon Ball school parody now...

Kaio-sama, Dr. Brief, Muten-Roshi, Tsuru-sennin, Tao Paipai, Piccolo, Karin, Dr. Gero, Madoushi Babidi, General Blue, Violet, and Commander Red can be teachers, Kami-sama can be the vice-principal and Enma-daioh can be the principal. I don't know how Japanese high-schools work, I don't even know how American high-schools work...

Yajirobe can be the janitor.

The story starts with Goku being assigned to sit next to Bulma and then Goku standing up to bullies like Oolong, Yamcha and... Freeza! Maybe Gohan and Goten could be worked in as Goku's cousins or something! Same with Trunks and Bra, they can be Bulma's siblings, cousins...

FrogTrigger
Beyond Newbie

Post by FrogTrigger » Thu May 29, 2014 7:37 pm

I kinda wish we could get like a DB anthology thing with different authors takes

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Thu May 29, 2014 7:55 pm

If Tetsuo Hara drew dragonball it would lose all of the goofyness but would overflow with manliness . It would only work with dbz. If Hiro mashima drew it, we would get fanservice shots of bulma every chapter (yay?) If Togashi drew it, it would be like Dragon Quest, wich would cause a feedback loop since Toriyama drew that game.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu May 29, 2014 8:03 pm

On a side note, seeing as we are talking about different mangaka drawing Dragonball, I found Naruto drawn by Akira Toriyama.

dodge2461
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dodge2461 » Thu May 29, 2014 9:29 pm

Here's Toriyama's drawing of Luffy from One Piece he did for that manga's 10th anniversary:

TheUltimateVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Thu May 29, 2014 9:48 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Let Hideaki Anno write it and have Gohan on the verge of suicide for the entire series due to a neglectful father who wants him to fight.
More like Post Cell Games Vegeta on the verge of suicide due to Goku's death.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu May 29, 2014 11:09 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:If Oda wrote Dragon Ball, it would manage to keep it's charm AND he would manage to turn DB into an actual well-written story.

Not too sure how the mangakas of Naruto and Bleach would perform if they were put to the task. They'd probably make it a better-written story, but only slightly, and the charm of DB would probably be gone.
Look back at what I said for what Naruto's author/manga ka would do. :D