DragonBall dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

DragonBall dub

Post by SupremeSSJ » Thu May 29, 2014 5:22 pm

I know some of you don't like the dubs basically I want to know is how is DB's dub compared to Z's, was it more faithful then z or equal or worse?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: DragonBall dub

Post by ABED » Thu May 29, 2014 5:35 pm

Definitely more faithful, but still takes plenty of liberties. If DBZ season 3 was a D, DB was a C+ or B-. The performances are much more natural, however, Nadolny is Goku.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Thu May 29, 2014 5:42 pm

Thanx ABED, I'm asking the ? because I've yet to watch DB and I want to view the dub first and just wanted to know how much better or worse it is than Z. The only way I can sit threw Z is if its in Japanese.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu May 29, 2014 5:48 pm

I think it was on Episode 83 Pt. 2 which Uranai Baba says something about being charitable and on the original Japanese version she charges 10,000 Zeni for each request they ask.

FUNimation took a bit too many liberties with the Dragon Ball dubs.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu May 29, 2014 5:48 pm

If you can only get through Z in Japanese then you won't get through Dragon Ball dubbed.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Thu May 29, 2014 5:49 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you can only get through Z in Japanese then you won't get through Dragon Ball dubbed.
kinda figured that lol

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Thu May 29, 2014 6:38 pm

The dub is a lot more faithful however there are still quite a lot of dialogue changes, for example in one episode in the Japanese version Muten Roshi asks to touch Bulma's breasts but in the English version he asks.... To walk on the beach with her.... yeaah

It's alright but not great
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Thu May 29, 2014 6:43 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you can only get through Z in Japanese then you won't get through Dragon Ball dubbed.
While the english dub of DB does have its share of problems to say that if you don't like Z's english dub you won't like DB's english dub is a bit harsh since DB had much better voice direction overall when compared to Z, is it perfect no I wouldn't go that far but to group the quality of DB's voice acting with Z's isn't really a fair comparison.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu May 29, 2014 7:15 pm

superrayman3 wrote:While the english dub of DB does have its share of problems to say that if you don't like Z's english dub you won't like DB's english dub is a bit harsh since DB had much better voice direction overall when compared to Z, is it perfect no I wouldn't go that far but to group the quality of DB's voice acting with Z's isn't really a fair comparison.
Same voice actors, same inaccurate script with plenty of made up lines. Seems fair to me. They're really not that different.

Deadtuber.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 29, 2014 7:17 pm

superrayman3 wrote:
While the english dub of DB does have its share of problems to say that if you don't like Z's english dub you won't like DB's english dub is a bit harsh since DB had much better voice direction overall when compared to Z, is it perfect no I wouldn't go that far but to group the quality of DB's voice acting with Z's isn't really a fair comparison.
Agreed, the actors vastly improved, and the scripts were much better. I won't discourage anyone from watching it as I don't think it's that bad and if you watch DB multiple times in your life, it's worth it to watch the dub once all the way through. I also don't know what you can and can't tolerate.
Same voice actors, same inaccurate script with plenty of made up lines. Seems fair to me. They're really not that different.
With much more experience, a much better script, they are quite different. I'm not claiming it's great, but it's without a doubt better than DBZ's worst.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Thu May 29, 2014 7:18 pm

Much better off just sticking with the original japanese

:thumbup:
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu May 29, 2014 7:22 pm

ABED wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:Same voice actors, same inaccurate script with plenty of made up lines. Seems fair to me. They're really not that different.
With much more experience, a much better script, they are quite different. I'm not claiming it's great, but it's without a doubt better than DBZ's worst.
Marginal improvements over Z's dub don't really add up to something resembles a good dub though. It's more accurate but it's not great. How anyone can listen to Goku's voice in that garbage is beyond me. Kid sounds like he's been smoking sixty a day.

"Urghhh Bulmaaaaaaaaa~~ where are my lucky strikes?!"

If he can't even bare to watch Z in English whatsoever, he's not likely to sit through Dragon Ball just because of slightly less nonsense.

Deadtuber.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu May 29, 2014 7:36 pm

Dragon Ball is just one of those shows that works best in Japanese, even if the dub is a "little faithful" you're still missing out on the humour.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu May 29, 2014 7:51 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:Dragon Ball is just one of those shows that works best in Japanese, even if the dub is a "little faithful" you're still missing out on the humour.
I found the humor in Kai was pretty good. Even though the "internet connection" line irks me abit.

I see no reason why Funimation can't go ahead with a "Dragonball" Kai. They can just give it the Level treatment, though something tells me they would just slap it with the Season set makeover.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu May 29, 2014 7:59 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:I see no reason why Funimation can't go ahead with a "Dragonball" Kai. They can just give it the Level treatment, though something tells me they would just slap it with the Season set makeover.
Since DB plays second fiddle to DBZ now in Japan, I feel like we'll get a shorter version of DB in the future.

Maybe we'll see a full colour printed version of the first 16 volumes of the manga after the Boo arc comes out?

DBGod
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBGod » Thu May 29, 2014 8:18 pm

Haven t heard anyone mention the Blue Water dub. It's very accurate (more so than FUNimation's dub), uses correct terms, pronunciation and the original musical score. I enjoy the voices as well, however the main flaw it contains would be the rather poor acting. Oh well, each to their own.
If you have any English recorded material and would like to put it to good use, please PM me!
"He's strong, oh he's strong alright. This is not good, hmmm...."

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu May 29, 2014 8:19 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
KentalSSJ6 wrote:I see no reason why Funimation can't go ahead with a "Dragonball" Kai. They can just give it the Level treatment, though something tells me they would just slap it with the Season set makeover.
Since DB plays second fiddle to DBZ now in Japan, I feel like we'll get a shorter version of DB in the future.

Maybe we'll see a full colour printed version of the first 16 volumes of the manga after the Boo arc comes out?
Would be nice, though if Dragonball does get a full color release, I expect censoring on Viz's end. I was rather surprised seeing they didn't censor naked Gohan in the DBZ full colors but given how many times we see Goku's junk in Dragonball, I doubt they would let that go. Same goes for the nipples on various women.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu May 29, 2014 8:20 pm

Just watch it in Japanese. There's pretty much nothing non-Kai that is any good dubbed.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu May 29, 2014 8:27 pm

B wrote:Just watch it in Japanese. There's pretty much nothing non-Kai that is any good dubbed.
Well...maybe only the English dub

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu May 29, 2014 9:02 pm

in my opinion it tends to be rather hit and miss. There are patches where the translation is pretty good, but others - like the 23rd Budokai tournament - make you wonder what the writers over at FUNi were thinking. This moment comes to mind for me.

Still, the acting is better than most of Z. Take that as you will.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]