Star Wars Influence In DB

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

t-bone135
Beyond Newbie
Location: Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down. . .

Star Wars Influence In DB

Post by t-bone135 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:48 am

Hey everyone!

Does anyone else here seem to suspect that Star Wars had something to do with the design of the cars in DB? Here is an example of what I mean:

DBZ's "land speeder,"

And . . .

A Star Wars land speeder,

They look pretty similar, don't they? Is it just coincedence? Thoughts, opinions, and facts appreciated. :wink:

Also, if anyone can get a better picture of a Star Wars land speeder that more closely matches the DBZ one, I would appreciate it. I don't have the ability to take screenshots, so I had to dig for those. :(
Best. Slip 'n' slide. EVER!

Come read my fan-fiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/~tbone135

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:12 am

It's possible, but I think it's just a coincidence. Toriyama's had various form of hovercraft since forever.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:35 am

I agree with Dayspring. Toriyama's always been a mecha fanboy. I think he just likes designing all kinds of different vehicles. Plus things like hovercraft type machines were around long before Star Wars.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Star Wars Influence In DB

Post by Leotaku » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:19 am

t-bone135 wrote:A Star Wars land speeder,
I'm just curious about that picture. Is that from a Star Wars movie? Because it looks like an action figure is sitting in it. :lol:
Special effects had to be better than THAT.

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:15 am

I think Superman has more of an influence on db/z then any other.

Baby flies down to earth just before home planet explodes, Protects eath, is amazingly strong. i'm sure a giant monky fits in somewhere between all of this.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:46 am

DBZ MAN wrote:I think Superman has more of an influence on db/z then any other.

Baby flies down to earth just before home planet explodes, Protects eath, is amazingly strong. i'm sure a giant monky fits in somewhere between all of this.
I've heard this before, but I've always thought it was just a coinsidence.

Comes from a distant planet - seems pretty common for sci-fi.
Protects earth - every hero protects earth.
Super strong - yes but in the opposite way Superman is. Supes just 'gets' his power no work required, whereas Goku needs to work for every muscle.

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:13 pm

On the "Freeza" DVDs, the wall of the spaceship on the menu has a "1138" on it, if that counts.

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:06 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
DBZ MAN wrote:I think Superman has more of an influence on db/z then any other.

I've heard this before, but I've always thought it was just a coinsidence.

Super strong - yes but in the opposite way Superman is. Supes just 'gets' his power no work required, whereas Goku needs to work for every muscle.
Your probaly right but I only saw it as that because Superman came out years before DB ever did and that there might be possibility to it.

t-bone135
Beyond Newbie
Location: Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down. . .

Post by t-bone135 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:34 pm

Leotaku wrote:
I'm just curious about that picture. Is that from a Star Wars movie? Because it looks like an action figure is sitting in it. :lol:
I'm actually not sure. I just did a Google image search for it and when I saw that picture it looked official enough. But I also don't think that was too uncommon for them to use plastic figures and models for effects. The first Star Wars movie was back in the late seventies, so that sort of thing was done back then before they had a lot of computer generated stuff.

As for the Superman discussion, it seems like it could be. But it also seems that it is pretty common "hero" topicality. Granted their are a lot of similarities, but at the same time, there are quite a few differences. Take for instance the example that desire said where Goku had to work for every gain, where as Superman was "blessed" so to speak. Also, how many friends did Superman have that were "equal" to him, (aside from other comic heros?) Did Superman have a son? So, in the sense it could be but, if it is, Toriyama made the formula better IMO. :)
Best. Slip 'n' slide. EVER!

Come read my fan-fiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/~tbone135

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:11 pm

On the "Freeza" DVDs, the wall of the spaceship on the menu has a "1138" on it, if that counts.
I know the Star Wars DVDs have a "1138" to unlock easter eggs, but does it hold any significance otherwise?
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:41 pm

The S wrote:
I know the Star Wars DVDs have a "1138" to unlock easter eggs, but does it hold any significance otherwise?
It's a reference to Lucas' other film THX-1138, and there are multiple references in the movies
http://scifi.about.com/od/referenc1/a/starwarsfaq1.htm wrote:Q. How many “THX-1138” references are there in the films?

A. In A New Hope, Chewbacca is supposedly a transfer for Cellblock 1138. In Empire, General Rieekan tells the ships defending Hoth, "Send Rogues 10 and 11 to sector 38.” I haven’t found one in Jedi yet, but in Phantom, Jar Jar Binks shoots up a droid with serial number 1138 on his back, and in Clones the LED lights on the clone helmets have the serial number "THX 1138," though you can’t really see it. And in Sith, Commander Bacara's personnel number is 1138.
t-bone135 wrote:
Leotaku wrote:
I'm actually not sure. I just did a Google image search for it and when I saw that picture it looked official enough. But I also don't think that was too uncommon for them to use plastic figures and models for effects. The first Star Wars movie was back in the late seventies, so that sort of thing was done back then before they had a lot of computer generated stuff.
The original speeder sequence was the speeder model (life size) on a track or rotating arm, with Hamil, Guinness, and Danniels inside. All scenes with the track had an orange blur underneath the speeder (it was vasiline on the camera lens to blur out the wheels :P) until it 'fixed' in the late 90's "special edition" where they removed the blur and added a CGI sequence with the speeder going into Mos Eisly. (That went a bit off topic :P Why do I know that off the top of my head? :? )

Anyway... Other than the speeder, I can't find any possible reference in DB to Star Wars.

edit - I'm pretty sure that speeder's a picture of this toy :P

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:17 pm

Possibily, I mean a lot of artists like to do stuff from things they enjoy. They do look alike though.
[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:43 pm

I doubt Toriyama intentionally integrated Star Wars-esque material into his work but I'm sure that unconsciously, any type of pop culture can find a similarity with one of the most known movies of our time.
"I GOTTA GAMBLE EVERYTHING I GOT ON THIS ONE FIST!!!!" - Son Goku, Tale 160

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:48 pm

I doubt Toriyama intentionally integrated Star Wars-esque material into his work
There are plenty of Star Wars references in Dr. Slump. Also, as I recall, there was an earlier thread about the Wizard of Oz characters and the Marshmellow man from GhostBusters being in the background during one of the Budokai arcs.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:24 pm

There are plenty of Star Wars references in Dr. Slump. Also, as I recall, there was an earlier thread about the Wizard of Oz characters and the Marshmellow man from GhostBusters being in the background during one of the Budokai arcs.
Yeah, one of the cops in Dr. Slump is a stormtrooper.
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:42 pm

I find a couple similarities between Star Wars and DBZ to be quite a bit odd, myself. For example, perhaps DBZ has borrowed ideas from the original Star Wars trilogy, and perhaps the Star Wars prequels have borrowed ideas from DBZ. In DBZ when Goku is killed by Piccolo with Raditz, his body clearly disappears to the next world, hence that being his reward for his selfless acts in life. Kami's body, as well, vanishes to the next world when Piccolo is fatefully blasted by Nappa to save Gohan. I notice that this whole body-vanishing thing was also in the original Star Wars trilogy, when Jedi master Yoda dies of old age, his body disappears in a mirrored fashion of Goku's death, and Obi-wan's death was also in this fashion. Perhaps Toriyama borrowed that idea. Other instances in GT, I find that Gill was kind of a cross between R2 and 3PO, in the manner of annoying speaking and being the basic mechanic. Another small instance, General Rilldo's ability to turn Goku, Pan, and Trunks into metal slabs very much mirrors Han Solo being frozen in carbonite. Coincidence, or not?

However, an instance in the prequel trilogy that comes to mind is the final battle between Anakin and Obi-wan at the end of Episode III. I found that this battle mirrored the SSJ Goku Vs. 100% Final Form Frieza battle quite a bit. Both battles were done on a volcanic, seemingly dying planets. Both Anakin and Frieza ended up getting virtually the same fate, Anakin's left arm and legs being sliced off, and Frieza's entire lower body cut off. Palpatine also found Anakin and literally physically transformed him into Darth Vader, Anakin's cyborg alter-ego from the original trilogy. King Cold has this same thing done to Frieza, though he didn't need an iron lung or mask, he was converted into a cyborg as well. Makes me think that, perhaps, Lucas was borrowing some ideas from DBZ for the Episode III.

It isn't just Star Wars that seems to have a similarity to DBZ, look at other pop culture hits such as the Matrix, the Smallville TV series, and of course animes such as Naruto and One Piece. You could find a similarity of the DragonBall anime trilogy probably anywhere. The legacy may never die.
14 years later

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:00 pm

Yeah your whole Episode III to DBZ comparison makes no sense but whatever...I doubt Lucas has seen DBZ enough to be influenced by it
"I GOTTA GAMBLE EVERYTHING I GOT ON THIS ONE FIST!!!!" - Son Goku, Tale 160

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:16 pm

masenko wrote:Yeah your whole Episode III to DBZ comparison makes no sense but whatever...I doubt Lucas has seen DBZ enough to be influenced by it
What the fuck? "No sense"? It makes great sense!

Dissapearing bodies (seemingly only good guys), annoying robot, Anakin/Freeza ends up all stumps then gets reassembleb as a cyborg.

Yeah "no sense" indeed.

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:19 pm

I doubt that Star Wars did the dissapearing bodies thing first
Last edited by El_Diablo on Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where's the beef?

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:43 pm

[quote="desirecampbell"

Super strong - yes but in the opposite way Superman is. Supes just 'gets' his power no work required, whereas Goku needs to work for every muscle.[/quote]

Forgot, "father warns people that planet is going to explode". Supes actually gets his powers from the sun ala Birdman.