Multiple Spanish dubs?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kirbopher
Regular

Multiple Spanish dubs?

Post by Kirbopher » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:40 am

So I knew ahead of time that there were at least two different Spanish dubs of DBZ, one in Mexico/Latin America and one in Spain...I'm seeing that AimeNewsNetwork is listing actors for 3 other dubs? "Valencian dub", "Catalan dub" and "Galician dub" Anyone have any information about these other Spanish dubs? Thanks!

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Re: Multiple Spanish dubs?

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:09 am

The Castellano dub DVDs are buried next to the ET Atari games...in the desert. The Spain dub is only good for two things - making yourself down vodka/tequila in sadistic drinking games and perhaps for a laugh. That's it.

Edit: I don't know if they made a Euskara dub, but I don't think they would want to mess with it due to the nature of those folk.
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:50 am

If you really want to know about the dubs that were made in Spain, I'd highly recommend you to check this page out: http://www.mazochungo.net/player/retrospectivadb.htm

For the list itself, seems to be these ones:

Catalán
Castellano (Español Tradicional)
Gallego
Vasco
Valenciano
Bardock the Mexican wrote:The Castellano dub DVDs are buried next to the ET Atari games...in the desert. The Spain dub is only good for two things - making yourself down vodka/tequila in sadistic drinking games and perhaps for a laugh. That's it.

Edit: I don't know if they made a Euskara dub, but I don't think they would want to mess with it due to the nature of those folk.
He asked for what/how many dubs were produced in Spain and you just posted a hate-filled comment about the Castellano dub, how typical of some Mexican dub fans to do so. I really wish people would stop doing even if they're not fond of it.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:42 am

Kirbopher wrote:So I knew ahead of time that there were at least two different Spanish dubs of DBZ, one in Mexico/Latin America and one in Spain...I'm seeing that AimeNewsNetwork is listing actors for 3 other dubs? "Valencian dub", "Catalan dub" and "Galician dub" Anyone have any information about these other Spanish dubs? Thanks!

In Spain we got several different languages besides Spanish/Castillian. We got Valenciano, Catalan, Vasco y Gallego. The TVs that spoke those languages back then bought the rights and produced all those dubs. As far as I know, all of them but the Valencian/Valenciano one covered at least DB and DBZ. I grew up with the Valencian one and I think it ended around the 25 Tournament. Sadly, the official releases don't have Valenciano, so it's impossible to find legally, and since then the TV channel that had the rights to that dub closed, so it's probably lost forever unless you get illegal copies.

Also, a lot of people consider Valenciano and Catalan the same language, but it's not. They are close, but different.

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:07 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:He asked for what/how many dubs were produced in Spain and you just posted a hate-filled comment about the Castellano dub, how typical of some Mexican dub fans to do so. I really wish people would stop doing even if they're not fond of it.
Ok, you got me there. It's not as bad as the dub that the Portuguese produced, but it's not nearly as good as the original Japanese or even the Spanish one produced for LA Speakers. Even so, there are subtle things that can make it a bit harder to understand if you speak LA Spanish. The use or lack of use of certain words, pronouns, and local stuff can make it kind of hard to decipher unless one breaks out a huge dictionary. The Real Español Diccionario, so you are not able to say that I cannot find something good about the country. They are good, but it is a kind of good which shines in areas outside of Dragonball.

Harmony Gold may have made a better dub than Funimation, but that does not mean that they can say it is better than the original.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:18 am

While I like the Latin Spanish and Brazilian dubs of Z, when actually speaking to people in real life which are let's say, Brazilian they don't seem to understand my Portuguese because I talk too fast and my accent's different from theirs, and also, in Latin Spanish you guys say "carro" for car? That's so odd, in Castellano from what I recall I've only ever used coche.

Chichi for Latin Spanish apparently means boobs but in Spain/Portugal 'chichi' it'd be more like, lack of better term, piss.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:48 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:While I like the Latin Spanish and Brazilian dubs of Z, when actually speaking to people in real life which are let's say, Brazilian they don't seem to understand my Portuguese because I talk too fast and my accent's different from theirs, and also, in Latin Spanish you guys say "carro" for car? That's so odd, in Castellano from what I recall I've only ever used coche.

Chichi for Latin Spanish apparently means boobs but in Spain/Portugal 'chichi' it'd be more like, lack of better term, piss.
In Spain we also use the word carro, but with other meaning: a carro is a cart. Chichi doesn't really mean piss and it means something more like a coloquial way of saying vagina, but chicha also means fat (something close to that).

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:19 pm

Bardock the Mexican wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:He asked for what/how many dubs were produced in Spain and you just posted a hate-filled comment about the Castellano dub, how typical of some Mexican dub fans to do so. I really wish people would stop doing even if they're not fond of it.
Ok, you got me there. It's not as bad as the dub that the Portuguese produced, but it's not nearly as good as the original Japanese or even the Spanish one produced for LA Speakers. Even so, there are subtle things that can make it a bit harder to understand if you speak LA Spanish. The use or lack of use of certain words, pronouns, and local stuff can make it kind of hard to decipher unless one breaks out a huge dictionary. The Real Español Diccionario, so you are not able to say that I cannot find something good about the country. They are good, but it is a kind of good which shines in areas outside of Dragonball.

Harmony Gold may have made a better dub than Funimation, but that does not mean that they can say it is better than the original.
There are things that I don't understand about LA dubs. To quote you "The use or lack of use of certain words, pronouns, and local stuff can make it kind of hard to decipher". And yes, even though it's supposedly completely neutral, there are words and expressions that we need to check the dictionary to understand too.

So? Is this an excuse for posting hate comments? I'm going to be sincere: save for two voice actors, I DON'T like the Mexican DBZ dub. Would it be OK for me if I got into a thread talking about the Mexican dub and started saying how much I dislike it?

Btw, I don't know if you happen to be learning Spanish or anything, but it's easy to tell that you're either not a native speaker, or you have a very, very bad level in the language, which makes your point about how you don't understand the dub fall flat. Why is it so easy to tell? No person with a decent level of Spanish would write "Real Español Diccionario". Do I complain about how the English dub sometimes uses idioms or expressions that I don't understand, having learned British English for most of my life?

Ah, the Internet.

There is a way to summarise my whole post in two words, but I consider it slightly rude and it might offend someone.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:52 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote: There are things that I don't understand about LA dubs. To quote you "The use or lack of use of certain words, pronouns, and local stuff can make it kind of hard to decipher". And yes, even though it's supposedly completely neutral, there are words and expressions that we need to check the dictionary to understand too.
I'm talking mostly about how even in one country you have people who have different ways of speaking. This is pretty much the norm among other countries, but even more so in Mexico. You see, the country is a bunch of states (United Mexican States) and they are filled with idigenous peoples who used different dialects of Nahuatl and even other indigenous languages. This made ruling the "people" a problem and also contributes to the amount of words you have in Mexico for things that have Penninsular words for.
UltimateHammerBro wrote:So? Is this an excuse for posting hate comments? I'm going to be sincere: save for two voice actors, I DON'T like the Mexican DBZ dub. Would it be OK for me if I got into a thread talking about the Mexican dub and started saying how much I dislike it?
Go for it, I have no emotional attachments to the Spanish language when it comes to Dragonball. I know it's a Japanese anime and manga, which is why the natives are the superior version. Anything else is not as good and that goes for all dubs.
UltimateHammerBro wrote:Btw, I don't know if you happen to be learning Spanish or anything, but it's easy to tell that you're either not a native speaker, or you have a very, very bad level in the language, which makes your point about how you don't understand the dub fall flat. Why is it so easy to tell? No person with a decent level of Spanish would write "Real Español Diccionario". Do I complain about how the English dub sometimes uses idioms or expressions that I don't understand, having learned British English for most of my life?
I didn't "learn" Spanish, I grew up speaking it and had to pick up this crazy language called English. Also, the authoritative dictionary in the world is the Royal Spanish Dictionary, since it has the prestige of the former Spanish Empire behind it. There are many dictionaries, but this one is the most definitive of it's kind. Also, I know what the Spanish dub is saying because I can follow most of it, I just don't like it for the sound of the voices.
UltimateHammerBro wrote:Why the hate speech?
Matajudios is a town in Spain. Granted we have a Matamoros, but that's from Spain too. They might have thought about Mataindios for some extra spice.
UltimateHammerBro wrote:Ah, the Internet.
I love it really. The whole free atmosphere can't last if we can't step on other people's toes and have opinions. There's going to be an end to that I'm sure.
UltimateHammerBro wrote:There is a way to summarise my whole post in two words, but I consider it slightly rude and it might offend someone.
How kind of you.

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:06 pm

You two should stop it. No need for those kind of comments. There are differences in Latin Spanish and Castillian Spanish so what. if Latin Spanish people don't like rhe Castillian dub, that's normal. Same goes for Castillian speakers don't liking the Latin dub. They sound very different from each other, and they are their own thing on their own right.

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:12 pm

Darknat wrote:You two should stop it. No need for those kind of comments. There are differences in Latin Spanish and Castillian Spanish so what. if Latin Spanish people don't like rhe Castillian dub, that's normal. Same goes for Castillian speakers don't liking the Latin dub. They sound very different from each other, and they are their own thing on their own right.
I agree, but I can tell you skimmed the part where I said all dubs pale in comparison to the original. I'm talking audio, which does not discount any subtitled version. Thus any taste one has in particular is ok, but the Japanese dominates in the discussion. If you look at word usage then you'll see that the emphasis is on the Japanese version - names in particular.

You're entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts and the fact is that the Japanese is what the original language was. So have your opinion if you want to.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:58 pm

No one has argued about the right to express their opinions, but all I've seen from you are hate comments, and then poor attempts to justify them and make them pass like innocent comments. I'll gladly remind you of what you said:
The Castellano dub DVDs are buried next to the ET Atari games...in the desert. The Spain dub is only good for two things - making yourself down vodka/tequila in sadistic drinking games and perhaps for a laugh. That's it.

I don't really feel like continuing to argue with you, so I'm going to clarify three last things and I'm done.

-Matajudíos (for English speakers, 'Jewkiller') is a town in Spain whose name comes from back in the Middle Ages. Around two months ago, the news said that they were in process of legally changing the name.

-You say that you speak Spanish, and then you write "Real Español Diccionario". Any native speaker can tell that this is a word-for-word translation of "Royal Spanish Dictionary" (which, by the way, isn't its name) and incredibly broken Spanish. I'm sorry, but I don't buy it: either you're lying or almost illiterate in what is supposed to be your mother tongue.

-There IS a Basque dub of DB (it's called "Dragoi Bola"), and talking about "the nature of those folk" is incredibly racist to Basque people.

For English speakers: "Real Español Diccionario" is, more or less, the equivalent of saying that "Dictionary Spanish Royal" is proper English.

As I said, I'm done. Back to discussing DB in the forum.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:40 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:No one has argued about the right to express their opinions, but all I've seen from you are hate comments, and then poor attempts to justify them and make them pass like innocent comments. I'll gladly remind you of what you said:

I don't really feel like continuing to argue with you, so I'm going to clarify three last things and I'm done.

-Matajudíos (for English speakers, 'Jewkiller') is a town in Spain whose name comes from back in the Middle Ages. Around two months ago, the news said that they were in process of legally changing the name.

-You say that you speak Spanish, and then you write "Real Español Diccionario". Any native speaker can tell that this is a word-for-word translation of "Royal Spanish Dictionary" (which, by the way, isn't its name) and incredibly broken Spanish. I'm sorry, but I don't buy it: either you're lying or almost illiterate in what is supposed to be your mother tongue.

-There IS a Basque dub of DB (it's called "Dragoi Bola"), and talking about "the nature of those folk" is incredibly racist to Basque people.

For English speakers: "Real Español Diccionario" is, more or less, the equivalent of saying that "Dictionary Spanish Royal" is proper English.

As I said, I'm done. Back to discussing DB in the forum.
I used the title that was more descriptive than the official one, which is «Diccionario de la lengua española» and a bit vague. It would be like calling the Reina-Valerna the Spanish King James Version. It is accurate and yet it is not the correct translation. I find it hard to believe you would write off someone as a fraud because they use an easier to explain translation of something. Yeah, back to Dragonball. I love Dragonball.

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:44 pm

Ok, let's see. I'm spanish, but I don't watch the spanish dub. I always read, watch or play games in their original language. So, I watch and read Dragon Ball in japanese, and any american show, comic or book in english. I don't like dubs, but I do respect them for what they are.

The official dictionary's name is "Diccionario de la Lengua Española" but is also known as "Diccionario de la Real Academia de la Lengua Española".

I agree that the comment about the Basque people is a racist one. And I think you should be more cautious when speaking about other cultures.

The names Matamoros and Matajudios where given to towns and even surnames a long time ago. Someone who's called like that doesn't necesarily mean he is a racist, and the same goes for the town. They shouldn't be considered offensive as of today. The people who used them on the first place are long dead and the ones using them now are not to blame.

And finally I think this thread has gone way off topic and we should stop this discussion already.

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:47 pm

...okay so now that we've gotten way too off topic, here's my question, black and white:

How many different Spanish dubs are there, how are they classified and where did they air?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:15 am

Kirbopher wrote:...okay so now that we've gotten way too off topic, here's my question, black and white:

How many different Spanish dubs are there, how are they classified and where did they air?
Castilian/Spanish (Bola de dragón) - DB, Z, GT, Movies [Canal Sur, Antena 3, Cuatro, Boing]
Catalan (Bola de Drac) - DB, Z, GT, Movies DB1-DBZ9, Kai [TV3, Canal Super3, 33, K3]
Valencian (Bola de Drac) - DB, Z 1-213, Movies DB1-DBZ7 & DBZ9 [Canal Nou, Canal Nou 2]
Galician (As bolas máxicas) - DB, Z, GT, Movies DB1-DBZ9, Kai [TVG]
Basque (Dragoi Bola) - DB, Z, GT, Movies DB1-DBZ9, Kai [ETB 1]

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:09 am

kei17 wrote:
Kirbopher wrote:...okay so now that we've gotten way too off topic, here's my question, black and white:

Castilian/Spanish (Bola de dragón) - DB, Z, GT, Movies [Canal Sur, Antena 3, Cuatro, Boing]
Catalan (Bola de Drac) - DB, Z, GT, Movies DB1-DBZ9, Kai [TV3, Canal Super3, 33, K3]
Valencian (Bola de Drac) - DB, Z 1-213, Movies DB1-DBZ7 & DBZ9 [Canal Nou, Canal Nou 2]
Galician (As bolas máxicas) - DB, Z, GT, Movies DB1-DBZ9, Kai [TVG]
Basque (Dragoi Bola) - DB, Z, GT, Movies DB1-DBZ9, Kai [ETB 1]
Thanks so much! So just to clarify, were these five in Spain, and then "Dragonball Zeta" was the one aired in Latin America?

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:06 am

You are correct about the latin american dub, it started with Dragon ball and ended with GT, with each of the series keeping its original name (except for the Zeta thing, because that's how the letter Z is pronounced in spanish. GT was kept with the english pronunciation though). I wouldn't know about the original broadcast periods in Mexico because I'm colombian, but I watched it in a mexican channel called Canal Cinco back in the mid 90's.
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:34 am

Kirbopher wrote:Thanks so much! So just to clarify, were these five in Spain, and then "Dragonball Zeta" was the one aired in Latin America?
It's just Dragon Ball Z, the Zeta is how they pronounce the Z in Spanish so no need to refer it as "Dragon Ball Zeta" as it looks weird.

Just as is that Z in British English is pronounced Zed.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray