Did DBZ Overuse The "Idiot Ball" Trope?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thatdbzguy
Banned

Did DBZ Overuse The "Idiot Ball" Trope?

Post by thatdbzguy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:55 pm

For those who don't know, the Idiot Ball trope basically refers to a character acting extremely stupid for little to no good reason. Examples of this include 18 not running from Cell despite 16's urges, Freeza letting Dende fly past him "just because", Vegeta going to sleep and letting the thought of Gohan and the others stealing the Dragon Balls to make their own wishes completely slip his mind, Vegeta trying to pull Gohan's tail off instead of just chopping or blasting it, etc. Basically, there's a lot.

Do you think DBZ overused this trope? IMO, it really did, to the point where the story heavily relied on it in order to get the plot going in a specific direction.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Re: Did DBZ Overuse The "Idiot Ball" Trope?

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:16 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:IMO, it really did
No kidding.

It definitely used it. Quite a few major plot points depend on the characters making moronic decisions e.g. not hunting down Dr Gero as Bulma suggested, Vegeta letting Cell become complete (surprised those weren't mentioned in the OP). On the other hand, smarter characters usually did point out how stupid these things were. Toriyama will write himself into a corner and need someone to be really dumb to advance the story, but he'll at least have someone act as a surrogate for the discerning reader to acknowledge that yes, Character X is being dumb as shit, but the arc's not over yet, so shut up and enjoy the fighting.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:17 pm

Well, Vegeta's cases are more of him being cocky and arrogant. He's all like "They wouldn't dare double cross me". Same thing occurs when he lets Cell go Perfect. I do have to note another Idiot Ball thing I noticed, though. Why do they never split the Senzu Beans after the Vegeta Saga? :lol:
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:21 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Well, Vegeta's cases are more of him being cocky and arrogant. He's all like "They wouldn't dare double cross me". Same thing occurs when he lets Cell go Perfect. I do have to note another Idiot Ball thing I noticed, though. Why do they never split the Senzu Beans after the Vegeta Saga? :lol:
It doesn't recover it 100% most likely only 50% which isn't very helpful honestly.

Looneygamemaster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Looneygamemaster » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:28 pm

There's nothing wrong with using this plot device when you can justify it. And Dragon Ball's usually good at doing so. Not always, but usually.

Though I wish he'd been punished a bit more for it, Goku having Gohan fight Cell is a really good example. After Piccolo yells at him, you can see him really understand for the first time how different his son is from him, and what that oversight has done. Without any dialogue I might add, even in the English dub. :clap:

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:35 pm

Looneygamemaster wrote:There's nothing wrong with using this plot device when you can justify it. And Dragon Ball's usually good at doing so. Not always, but usually.

Though I wish he'd been punished a bit more for it, Goku having Gohan fight Cell is a really good example. After Piccolo yells at him, you can see him really understand for the first time how different his son is from him, and what that oversight has done. Without any dialogue I might add, even in the English dub. :clap:
Oh, yeah, that scene was perfect. They could've added a "What've I done?" monologue, but they knew it was effective enough just showing his reaction. Love that scene. :D
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:41 pm

The idiot ball really started rolling in the Cell saga.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:42 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:Do you think DBZ overused this trope? IMO, it really did, to the point where the story heavily relied on it in order to get the plot going in a specific direction.
Here's a drinking game that will kill your liver on this forum: take a shot whenever thatdbzguy holds a magnifying glass up to a specific aspect of dbz in order to belittle a show we supposedly likes.

No, I don't think Toriyama overused the "Idiot Ball" trope, especially since there's often a valid reason for why certain characters do the "dumb" things they do.
thatdbzguy wrote:For those who don't know, the Idiot Ball trope basically refers to a character acting extremely stupid for little to no good reason. Examples of this include 18 not running from Cell despite 16's urges, Freeza letting Dende fly past him "just because", Vegeta going to sleep and letting the thought of Gohan and the others stealing the Dragon Balls to make their own wishes completely slip his mind, Vegeta trying to pull Gohan's tail off instead of just chopping or blasting it, etc. Basically, there's a lot.
Android 18 was caught up in the emotion of the moment. Her fight or flight instincts kicked in and she chose to fight. Considering Cell's superior strength and speed, fleeing from him probably wouldn't have done much good anyway. If she couldn't beat him in a fight, she probably couldn't outrun him either.

Freeza let Dende fly by because, as the all-powerful ruler of the universe, why should he have cared about a "Namekian brat" who he had no reason to think could cause him trouble after he had wiped out the rest of Namek's denizens so easily.

When Vegeta went to sleep he wasn't expecting Krillin to return as fast as he did, if I recall correctly, and, perhaps a little naively, expected the Earthlings to go along with his plan to defeat Freeza out of necessity.

He didn't chop or blast Gohan's tail off because he didn't have time to think clearly, and wasn't exactly in a completely sound state of mind after all the battle damage he had taken.

Honestly, most cases of stupidity in Dragon Ball Z only look like that because we, as the audience, have 20/20 foresight, unlike the characters living in the moment of the show's plot. I honestly think their mistakes make the show more relatable and realistic anyway. Just look at all the dumb things people do in the real world. Human history is dominated by one poorly conceived idea leading directly into the next. Why should fictional works be any different?
Last edited by ParkerAL on Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:43 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:Freeza letting Dende fly past him "just because",
As far as Freeza knew he was just some random Namekian kid. Like he said, "no need to kill every little thing." As far as he knew he was about to get his wish and was in a good mood. Not stupid at all.
ParkerAL wrote:Honestly, most cases of stupidity in Dragon Ball Z only look like that because we, as the audience, have 20/20 foresight, unlike the characters living in the moment of the show's plot. I honestly think their mistakes make the show more relatable and realistic anyway. Just look at all the dumb things people do in the real world. Human history is dominated by one poorly conceived idea leading directly into the next. Why should fictional works be any different?
It's because people treat the battles like a game of chess run by purely utilitarian reasoning rather than characters with personalities.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:55 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:For those who don't know, the Idiot Ball trope basically refers to a character acting extremely stupid for little to no good reason. Examples of this include 18 not running from Cell despite 16's urges, Freeza letting Dende fly past him "just because", Vegeta going to sleep and letting the thought of Gohan and the others stealing the Dragon Balls to make their own wishes completely slip his mind, Vegeta trying to pull Gohan's tail off instead of just chopping or blasting it, etc. Basically, there's a lot.

Do you think DBZ overused this trope? IMO, it really did, to the point where the story heavily relied on it in order to get the plot going in a specific direction.
1) 18 chose to stay and fight, she did not want to leave 16 behind. She wasn't the kind of character to leave behind a close ally.

2) The line speaks for itself in the anime, something along the lines of "I don't need to kill every little thing", and helped demonstrate Freeza's overconfidence and ego.

3) Vegeta going to sleep never seemed like a dumb move to me. In his eyes the earthlings were never going to double cross him, and the guy had gone through a lot (fights, crazy situations).

4) At that time, Vegeta was weakened and probably didn't have the power to blast it, pulling it was probably the easiest way for him to take the tail off. Even in the manga he struggles to pull it off, because of his weakened state.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:44 pm

Vegeta should have just cut Oozaru Gohan in half instead of his tail.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:07 pm

Vegeta is the king of idiot ball moments, but that's why Toriyama said he was really useful, I mean you can't have Goku or Gohan do it and be the heroes of the series.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:37 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:The idiot ball really started rolling in the Cell saga.
And you people wonder why I hate the saga so much.
Kid Buu wrote:Vegeta should have just cut Oozaru Gohan in half instead of his tail.
It's idiotic things like this that make me wonder how these characters survived more than 10 seconds after their appearance.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:44 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
KentalSSJ6 wrote:The idiot ball really started rolling in the Cell saga.
And you people wonder why I hate the saga so much.
We do? Last time I check everyone here has an opinion. Some people here hate the Cell Arc just as much as you do. We don't wonder why you hate the saga. We just a bit tired of almost all your threads being negative towards DB. That's all.

On Topic: The "Idiot Ball" in DB is more or less Dramatic Irony. In which we're seeing things differently than the "People" experiencing it. We don't know what going threw their heads at the moment. It's like watching sports. For example

"HOW THE HELL DID HE MISS THAT TACKLE!? He's a dumbass. Why is he even on the field. Bench him for the season!"

I know a lot of people even myself who said things similar. However we only know what we see. The characters are acting realistic. We the fans are acting like this cause we're not in the same issue.

Though I don't see what's wrong with Vegeta trying to pull of Gohan's tail. Didn't Grandpa Gohan and Piccolo do the same?

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:48 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:Though I don't see what's wrong with Vegeta trying to pull of Gohan's tail. Didn't Grandpa Gohan and Piccolo do the same?
Except those times, Gohan wasn't transforming, so they had an easier time pulling it off. With Gohan in the middle of the transformation, don't you think just chopping it would have been quicker and more efficient?

And like Kid Buu said, Vegeta could've just cut Gohan himself in half, but he didn't because the plot forbade him from doing that.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:55 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:Though I don't see what's wrong with Vegeta trying to pull of Gohan's tail. Didn't Grandpa Gohan and Piccolo do the same?
Except those times, Gohan wasn't transforming, so they had an easier time pulling it off. With Gohan in the middle of the transformation, don't you think just chopping it would have been quicker and more efficient?

And like Kid Buu said, Vegeta could've just cut Gohan himself in half, but he didn't because the plot forbade him from doing that.
Vegeta was acting at the heat of the moment. Imagine if you was gonna get crushed by a giant, hairy gorilla falling over you and have just a few seconds to react.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:58 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:

Most manga and anime have manga and anime that has moments like that. There's plenty of times where a character that should be able to kill character X but didn't. DBZ isn't the first so that not a very good point.

Once again. You're looking from the wrong POV. For one Vegeta was too weak to even kill Yajoribe with a Super Wave. There's also the heat of the moment. Vegeta was going crazy because these Earthlings was giving him trouble. Nevermind the fact Vegeta usual is cocky meaning he most likely easily dominated most of his foes. It's called be realistic. Even in real life stuff like this happen. Hell in other manga and anime stuff like this happens. But I guess since it's DBZ it doesn't matter. :roll:

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:12 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
thatdbzguy wrote:

Vegeta was acting at the heat of the moment. Imagine if you was gonna get crushed by a giant, hairy gorilla falling over you and have just a few seconds to react.
If I had Vegeta's powers, I'd cut him in half, not just go for the tail.
TheGmGoken wrote:Most manga and anime have moments like that.
That doesn't all of a sudden make it not bad writing.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:20 pm

I don't think Piccolo loosing and arm or Freeza losing half his tail is the same as cutting a 5 year old in half though, sounds a little disturbing at this point in Toriyama's career or at any point really.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:28 pm

If I had Vegeta's powers, I'd cut him in half, not just go for the tail.
You say that now. Let's see what happens if you were in the issue. You sound like everyone else who says "Wow I would have made that tackle!" "Wow I would have made that touchdown!" or even "Wow I would had dropped Micheal Jordan".
That doesn't all of a sudden make it not bad writing.
It's bad writing for Vegeta not to cut Gohan in half?