Dragon Ball Manga errors thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Manga errors thread

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:18 pm

Something sounds off with "Revolting...That any might reduce the Demon King to this.."

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:52 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Image

Something sounds off with "Revolting...That any might reduce the Demon King to this.."
:shock: That doesn't even make sense, I don't know how a 'might' could be in that sentence in the first place.

"Revolting... To think that any mortal could reduce the Demon King to this.." sounds more natural.
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:59 pm

It appears that Viz's editions aren't that great, huh. Too bad, I want to buy the volumes when I grow older, but the portuguese ones are out of question since production was discontinued. Viz appears to be filled with errors and bad quality. And the ports of the japanese ones will be terribly expensive. Hmm...

Off-topic a bit, but do all editions of Viz have that "bad" quality and those kind of errors? Or are these just a special case?

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:18 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:http://s30.postimg.org/485lefold/DSC0007.jpg

It's in keeping with the slightly archaic / high-diction way Viz has Piccolo speak in his early appearances. It's not an error per se.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Teen GohanZ

Post by Teen GohanZ » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:52 am

Toriyama reuses this panel (top panel) a lot from the first time Goku was on Kami's lookout:
But each time he forgot to take out Goku and Popo (Check between the two sets of trees near the ladders at the front):
Except for this one time after Piccolo and Kami merge.
The powerpole also keeps reappearing and disappearing.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:04 pm

Teen GohanZ wrote:Toriyama reuses this panel (top panel) a lot from the first time Goku was on Kami's lookout:
Wow, that's a really good catch!
The powerpole also keeps reappearing and disappearing.
Yes this is what I always noted.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:19 pm

Wow, that Goku and Popo one is amazing. Just took a quick flick through my Full Color volumes and it's been consistently fixed in those.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:30 pm

There's a similar wide shot of Capsule Corporation from Chapter 69 that gets reused a lot in the Buu arc. Toriyama does this a lot in Dragon Ball, but it becomes extremely pronounced towards the end, culminating in his self-insertion to comment on it as the kids are learning Fusion.

One of the more notable mistakes due to this is Toriyama's reuse of the "competitors glare at each other" panel at the 22nd Budōkai, replacing the characters in the ring as he goes. That's well and good, but... He forgets to remove Bulma, Lunch and Pu'er from the crowd, so they're still there cheering on the fighters, even after Yamcha's had his leg snapped (just as the fight between Jackie Chun and Man-Wolf is about to begin).
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:42 pm

thomas1up wrote:
:shock: That doesn't even make sense, I don't know how a 'might' could be in that sentence in the first place.

"Revolting... To think that any mortal could reduce the Demon King to this.." sounds more natural.
Might in that phrase means power. They just left out a "could". It should read "that any might could reduce the Demon King to this".
Doctor. wrote:It appears that Viz's editions aren't that great, huh. Too bad, I want to buy the volumes when I grow older, but the portuguese ones are out of question since production was discontinued. Viz appears to be filled with errors and bad quality. And the ports of the japanese ones will be terribly expensive. Hmm...

Off-topic a bit, but do all editions of Viz have that "bad" quality and those kind of errors? Or are these just a special case?
You are wrong. I have both the portuguese edition and the Vizbigs, and a lot more of Viz manga. Viz's editions have great quality, they just aren't perfect because nothing is perfect and every release in any country is bound to have some flaws.
Last edited by rereboy on Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:16 pm

rereboy wrote:
thomas1up wrote:"Revolting... To think that any mortal could reduce the Demon King to this.." sounds more natural.
Might in that phrase means power. They just left out a "could". It should read "that any might could reduce the Demon King to this".
No way. "Might" in that sentence means "could" mixed in with a little "how dare you". Piccolo is royally pissed off because a normal person could/would dare to push the Great Demon King to such a point that he has to use his final gamble.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:05 am

Yeah, there's nothing technically wrong with that dialogue; it's just part of Viz's odd old English speech for Piccolo.

"Any" refers to "anyone", and might refers to "could/did".
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:11 am

Metalwario64 wrote:Yeah, there's nothing technically wrong with that dialogue; it's just part of Viz's odd old English speech for Piccolo.

"Any" refers to "anyone", and might refers to "could/did".
You are right. There's nothing actually wrong with it, I read it incorrectly before. I take back what I said earlier.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:05 pm

Here is a typo in an older copy that was fixed in the 3-in-1's and I presume the vizbigs

Also on the red viz singles..is this printing error common? What panel is that anyway (action lines on the bottom of the page)? The lines dont match with the top panel..
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:04 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
I honestly can't see what is wrong with this, other than the obvious Gokuu kicking a presumably black man in the face, which might be racist. Is it racist? Anyway, the point stands that there is nothing to really complain about here.
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:08 pm

It's a printing error *see the action lines in the bottom*

I didn't want to make a separate thread since I've made a few manga related posts these days..

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:36 pm

A "Satan" slip (VIZ Singles *Cat ear logo*)

Was this fixed (or rather changed) in later printings?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:57 pm

I assume he means "Swelling"

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:06 pm

Zombie wrote:Wait... Minus is already out in English?
Yup! It's in the Jaco graphic novel that VIZ put out in... January, I think?

Either way, you should get Jaco now!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:31 pm

"Welling" is a word. It's related to 'well', as in a place you get water from.

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:37 pm

Well
exclamation
1. Used to express a range of emotions including surprise, anger, resignation, or relief.

This is what was went, hope that clears things up.