Glorious Anime Screenshot Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Glorious Anime Screenshot Thread

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:09 am

Yeah, I'm siding with MetalWario here. The OP is quite clearly from a different source, and in fact for Movies 1, 6, 7, 8, and 9 (which was a pretty redundant thing for Funi to do for 6-9 considering the Saiyan/Frieza saga OP they used was based from the Android saga version in the first place. They must've forgotten.), the footage from the specific sequences from their OPs looks noticeably different from the rest of it.

And each movie, or rather, each double feature release, indeed has different remastering processes done to them. Movies 1 & 2 had some DVNR but it was kept to a minimum, but the contrast was kinda blown up, which led to bleeding whites and crushed blacks. Movies 3, 4, 5, and 6 had heavier blurring but not enough to hurt the detail, and the colors were pushed more towards blue. Aside from movie 6, though, they looked pretty damn great. Movies 8 and 10 were done before any of the other movies and have the same level of blurring as 3-6, though Movie 8 has the brightness turned up to season 2 DVD levels. Movies 7, 9, 11, 12, and 13 are definitely the best of the bunch. They had almost no DVNR and the colors are still altered but look good anyway.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:27 pm

I was speaking broadly. I know the remastering changed on both ends. Movie 3 is green for no discernible reason; Piccolo is Emerald Green in Movie 1 but not in the Namek/Freeza episodes, the coloring on everything Buu-era looks far less tampered with than most of the prior stuff, etc.

Doesn't Funimation have a history of swapping out which opening footage they use prior to the orange bricks?
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:12 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:I was speaking broadly. I know the remastering changed on both ends. Movie 3 is green for no discernible reason; Piccolo is Emerald Green in Movie 1 but not in the Namek/Freeza episodes, the coloring on everything Buu-era looks far less tampered with than most of the prior stuff, etc.

Doesn't Funimation have a history of swapping out which opening footage they use prior to the orange bricks?
Judging from the Dragon Box extras, the only version of Cha-La Head Cha-La that has a textless version available is the third one. The one they used for the Japanese alternate angle on the UUC DVDs and the textless intros for Movies 1-5 is the third OP with footage from what looks like Movie 2's OP to replace the OP-3 specific stuff IE Trunks and Vegeta and the final shot. This extended into the season sets.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:03 pm

To bring things back on track; here's a bit of an odd choice!

Majin Boo's reaction as Bee is shot! It's the first time we really see Boo genuinely care for something and it's drawn so well.

Such a great cliffhanger to an episode.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

nerdydesi

Post by nerdydesi » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:10 pm

From Movie 6.

From Movie 7.

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:03 pm

I love this shot of the Saiyans, they look pretty pissed after what they went through only to be downtalked.
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:37 pm

I love how in awe Freeza is off Goku's new amazing transformation that he had to open his damaged eye :P

I love Goku's facial expressions in these two shot, when Goku is serious, he's damn serious!

(I hope I took this okay, I used the "snapshot" button from iDeer Blu-ray player)

noham-el
Not-So-Newbie

Post by noham-el » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:31 pm

Some of these screenshots I've used as wallpaper.

Bonus:
<3
"Sorry for my bad english."

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:30 am

Wow, when I saw this thread was bumped, I thought it was much older, but it was made just last year. :lol:

I'll probably make some further contributions to it soon.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:27 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:Here's a very gorgeous pan from Movie 13
That is...magical. :cry:

:oops: I actually still need to join an image hosting service...any suggestions? I'm thinking Flickr right now, but in the mean time, I'll just grab them from the internet. Hope no one minds.

This one from Battle of Gods was my desktop background for the longest time, prior to the movie's release. The first time I watched the trailer, this was the moment that immediately caught my eye.
Fittingly epic shot, something you'd expect from a DBZ movie, but there's also something eerily calm about it. The Earth and the sun effect look amazing.
Is that the highest resolution shot? If it isn't, can someone post it please
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

noham-el
Not-So-Newbie

Post by noham-el » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:10 pm

"Sorry for my bad english."

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:11 pm

Here are my all-time favorites from Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z.

Dragon Ball

Yamcha being terrified of Bulma hugging him.
Yamcha with a hilarious face as Bulma smiles at him him while he's driving.
Dragon Ball Z

Goku using Kaio-Ken and punching Vegeta (flashback during Vegeta's respect for Goku)
Goku using Kaio-Ken against Vegeta (flashback during Vegeta's respect for Goku)
SSJ Goku staring down Freeza as Gohan looks on (Kai 1.0 redrawn shot)
SSJ Goku from the first ending of Kai 1.0
Goku about to blast Cell with the Warp Kamehameha
Beerus and Goku in space with the Earth in the background (1920x1080 for mysticgohan up above)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:11 am

Here's my next contribution to this thread:

(click for full size)

Probably my favorite Last House episode. Almost every shot is very gorgeous, and I love the way Goku's hair flows throughout the episode. Can anyone identify the key animators of these shots? I'm not sure if any of these is Uchiyama's work, because I'm not too well versed with the other Last House employees of the time before most of them left.

I've posted the Kai version of this lovely background because I prefer Kai's footage to the Dragon Boxes (for the film elements at the very least), and I love Kai's broader spectrum of color.

I didn't originally plan on including this shot, but I happened upon it in my Kai folder. In this shot, I love how Trunks' cheek bones are defined with shading.
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:Goku using Kaio-Ken against Vegeta (flashback during Vegeta's respect for Goku)
Here's the full pan from the Dragon Box:
(Click for full-size)
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:24 am

Here's a few of my favorites. They are all taken from the Kai blu rays and color corrected by myself. Side note, the last two were from a previous post where I downsampled them. I don't have the correction settings, so sorry for no glorious 1080p screenshots :?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:51 am

MrWalnut4 wrote:Here's a few of my favorites. They are all taken from the Kai blu rays and color corrected by myself. Side note, the last two were from a previous post where I downsampled them. I don't have the correction settings, so sorry for no glorious 1080p screenshots :?
You overblew the contrast. You can see the yellow shading in Gohan's hair is now bleeding towards the left side. Plus, the darks are too dark now, and the excellent dark details are one of the best parts of Kai's footage. I can also see some artifacts from your color editing in the purple shading of Gohan's shirt.

Here's an unaltered shot:

It's just my opinion, but I feel we should leave color correction out of this thread. :)

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:47 am

Metalwario64 wrote:You overblew the contrast. You can see the yellow shading in Gohan's hair is now bleeding towards the left side. Plus, the darks are too dark now, and the excellent dark details are one of the best parts of Kai's footage. I can also see some artifacts from your color editing in the purple shading of Gohan's shirt.

Here's an unaltered shot:
If you compare it to cel scans, it's actually pretty darn accurate. But you're right, it's not perfect. That was maybe 5 mins in photoshop, so here's one with better corrections compared to a cel scan.

Most cels are actually very vibrant with truly white whites and dark blacks. Kai especially has very muted colors without a whole lot of color range despite the cels that were used to film it. My monitor might also be slightly miscalibrated, so we may not be seeing quite the same picture.
Last edited by MrWalnut4 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:53 am

The cels are brighter, but that's because when they were converted to film, that altered their colors and brightness. If you correct the whites of the cels in the footage to pure white for example, then any lighting effects like ki blasts will be crushed and overexposed.

Like this shot for example (which is also a good shot for this thread. I love this aura! :mrgreen: ):

You can see that his eyes are light gray, but the ki surrounding him is pure white. If you brightened the footage to make his eyes pure white, it would crush the aura:
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:59 am

Metalwario64 wrote:The cels are brighter, but that's because when they were converted to film, that altered their colors and brightness. If you correct the whites of the cels in the footage to pure white for example, then any lighting effects like ki blasts will be crushed and overexposed.
If you correct whites to absolute white then yes, but they usually aren't absolute white. If we use RGB, the white of eyes is usually 245 which is 10 less than absolute white. I have color corrected Kai footage doing exactly that and there are only two or three instances where doing so crushes whites and only in specific scenes. That scene would be one of them. The beauty of color correction though is that in scenes like that where you would end up with crushed whites, you can alter the corrections to avoid crushing whites or blacks.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:19 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Image[/url]
Jesus, I hate that shot. The expression is completely off. Goku is supposed to look sad, not angry/serious.

ThatGuyNamedChancey
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ThatGuyNamedChancey » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:20 pm

I dunno, his mouth kind of implies he's sad. Or indifferent.
I tend not to post here anymore because what I say doesn't add to the conversation.