France: Glenat makes 2015 a Toriyama special year

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cold Skin
I Live Here

France: Glenat makes 2015 a Toriyama special year

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:16 pm

Special news that could make French fans happy: Glenat has apparently set 2015 to be sort of an all-out release year for Toriyama.

The first announcement comes from famous newspaper Le Monde with an article about Dragon Ball's everlasting appeal due to its recent presence at Japan Expo. Towards the end of the article, right under a picture of Goku fighting Beerus, one can read:

ORIGINAL TEXT IN FRENCH:

TRANSLATION:

Link: http://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/article/20 ... C-32280688

Checking it out on Glenat's official site, you have access to the calendar from October to December which also contains the announcement for the upcoming year and seems to confirm the various releases: although the announcement itself stays vague on what will be published, pictures of the Japanese editions of the Anime Comics for the Boo saga, the Anime Comics for Battle of Gods, the final Kanzenban volume, a volume of Dragon Ball SD and the Anime Comics for Movie 12 are shown (which would fit what the publisher has told Le Monde journalists).

ORIGINAL FRENCH TEXT:

TRANSLATION:

Link (click on the calendar picture to zoom in on the covers): http://www.glenatmanga.com/preview-mang ... _1857.html

Note that Le Monde states it will be 11 works for Toriyama, but Glenat might have mistakenly told them the number of works from Oda instead, since they announce on their own website 13 works from Toriyama (although this might include Dragon Ball SD, which is not actually FROM Toriyama but BASED ON Toriyama's work).

So in 2015, France should have:
- Jaco the Galactic Patrolman (along with the bonus chapter).
- Kanzenban (Perfect Edition) for the remaining volumes (coming close to the end this year and finishing in 2015).
- Anime Comics for the remaining "old" movies (coming close to the end this year and finishing in 2015).
- Anime Comics for the Boo saga (which had been postponed to start the "old" movies instead).
- Anime Comics for Battle of Gods.
- Dragon Ball SD.
- ...and "more surprises in store"?!

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: France: Glenat makes 2015 a Toriyama special year

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:29 pm

That's awesome for you Guys in France :)
I would like to see something special coming out from Japan, given that it is the 30th anniversary year after all.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:30 pm

I hope you guys get Beerus or Beers for Beerus' name. The less used Bills is, the better.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:52 am

Wow. This has to mean that Battle of Gods and Kai Boo is nearing a release in France, no?!

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:06 am

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:I hope you guys get Beerus or Beers for Beerus' name. The less used Bills is, the better.
Our translator is pretty good at knowing the origins of the names, but I doubt she knows about the backstory to Beerus' name!
So I'm willing to bet that just like Toriyama, she'll see the duo as alcoohol-related and we'll have "Beers" and "Whis". Which would be better than "Bills".
I'd like us to have "Birus" or "Beerus" as our French official names (in French, both of these are pronounced "Beerus").
sangofe wrote:Wow. This has to mean that Battle of Gods and Kai Boo is nearing a release in France, no?!
Hmm, I think it rather means that Glénat will cease their chance to do them both whether the anime keeps up or not.
They'll make the Anime Comics for Battle of Gods translated by the manga translator the one and only French version for now if needed, they'll even possibly use it to promote it as "the one and only way you can see the movie in France - and in French - right now".

However, one could motivate the other, since the anime staff could be willing to use that "Toriyama" special year on the manga side to surf on the big wave and get the Kai Boo saga and Battle of Gods out too, so that one media kind of helps the other media's promotion, in a big Dragon Ball release wave of sorts (including the new 2015 video game Xenoverse that will likely include Beerus).

The only thing I'm convinced of, is that they'll dub the Kai Boo saga and Battle of Gods in one go, they won't want to reunite our voice actors again at a later time. They'll make them dub the whole Boo saga to keep the story going on the chronological order (for the actors to be in-characters and for the translators to decide in context the new vocabulary and the new names), and then do Battle of Gods as the final step of the dub sessions as if it was a super-episode at the end of the Boo saga.