Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z 2015 Film

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:22 am

What we know and can expect:

- Toriyama said he'd like Vegeta to be the main protagonist of a next movie... and that was BEFORE he actually had a plan to go back to an undevelopped idea he had for the original manga, a time and story where Vegeta was not meant to be the main protagonist in any way. So if Toriyama is faithful to his original vision, Vegeta as the hero is out. Save it for later post-BOG movies that are not "lost chapters" of the manga but "fully new post-BOG chapters" of the manga.

- Toriyama said it's a story he wanted to include in the original manga. He said he didn't want to expand on the "10 years later" epilogue as the cast is way too old to be interesting at that time. So the "lost story" can happen anytime before that epilogue, including after Battle of Gods or in any previous saga. However, the further you go back, the more characters, transformations and special moves you lose (fusions, Mister Satan, etc...). However, since Goku's promo shows him performing teleportation, it is safe to assume it is at least set after the battle against Freezer.

- Toriyama likely wants to get rid of Super Saiyan 2 and Super Saiyan 3 that he found overly complicated and extravagant when looking back, finding a device to say Goku would likely not use them anymore, and not even showing those forms for Vegeta and Gotenks in Battle of Gods. If it is set after Battle of Gods, then he has his excuse to toss those forms aside for good. Same if it is set before the Boo arc. But if it's during or after the Boo arc but before BOG, he'll have to be clever to avoid those forms. Since he doesn't draw them himself, I think it's more of a matter of those forms being complicated plotwise and having to keep it in mind who can do what and for how long.

- Toriyama had congratulations from an editor that is very hard to satisfy. That means that whatever it is we get, it will likely be very surprising coming from Toriyama, very unusual from him. Can you think of a quality that Toriyama didn't originally have in the manga plot and that now would make his no-nonsense editor think "wow, you really impressed me this time, that's incredible compared to what you usually did back then with the actual manga"?

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:25 am

I was really hoping they would announce a new series at the end of Kai, or simply have Kai continue on after Buu is defeated, but this is exciting too.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:27 am

Well, well, well...Google Translate says that this domain has been acquired.
http://dragonball2015.com/
That was quick. This URL was a blank page when I checked earlier today.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:52 am

And now, let the wait begin! I hope it will be set after BoG, because it left many unanswered questions:

How does Super Saiyan God work? What did Goku do with Beerus' ki blast in the end?
What happened to Vegeta and he suddenly grew so strong against Beerus?
Who exactly is Whis, and why is he so strong?
What's the deal with the other universes?
Cold Skin wrote:Toriyama likely wants to get rid of Super Saiyan 2 and Super Saiyan 3 that he found overly complicated and extravagant when looking back, finding a device to say Goku would likely not use them anymore, and not even showing those forms for Vegeta and Gotenks in Battle of Gods.
We don't know if Vegeta was or wasn't a SS2 (he most likely was), because neither did Goku show sparks as a SS2.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:53 am

Well, this is a surprise.

I was entirely prepared to be a negative nancy until I saw his old editor had approved of his work so far.

I ignored near enough every plot detail of Battle of Gods until the home release. All I knew was that Super Saiyan God was a thing. I intend to do the same with this.

The experience of going in entirely blind was fantastic. Can't wait to do it again. It does mean I won't get to discuss much in this thread after the film releases.

Either way, HYPE!!!!!! I'm far less composed about this news than this post lets on. I just demolished my twitter with garbage excitement.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:56 am

Oh shit, I just realized 2015 is round the corner lol this year is going tooo fast.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:09 am

Very excited for this but I really hope it's a continuation of Battle of Gods or the end of Z rather than say a movie about the life of Vegeta before the events of Z for example.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:21 am

Even though I doubt it'll happen I'd love to see a tournament in this movie like Bojack Unbound. Maybe what Goku went through on yardrat? God! this so exciting! :)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:22 am

I read Toriyama's comment in Japanese and it says that the story takes place after BoG. It's not a prequel or a spin-off. Also, ANN says "He had intended to have this story during his manga's original serialization," but it's not true. He just newly wrote the story as a continuation of the original serialization.
Last edited by kei17 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

nicolas_3d
Beyond Newbie

Post by nicolas_3d » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:22 am

"Toriyama confirmed that Goku won't be the main character this time around. He then went on to add that this story will be centered around Chaozu, as well as a whole new cast of characters from Chaozu's entourage..."

Stay tuned!

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:25 am

More Beerus, please!
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:25 am

kei17 wrote:I read Toriyama's comment in Japanese and it says that the story takes place after BoG. It's not a prequel or a spin-off. Also, ANN says "He had intended to have this story during his manga's original serialization," but it's not true. He just newly wrote the story as a continuation of the original serialization.
Thanks for the info buddy. :)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:28 am

Ten bucks says he'll make Broli canon.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:29 am

I hope it won't take place between Buu and the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai yet again.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:44 am

kei17 wrote:I read Toriyama's comment in Japanese and it says that the story takes place after BoG. It's not a prequel or a spin-off. Also, ANN says "He had intended to have this story during his manga's original serialization," but it's not true. He just newly wrote the story as a continuation of the original serialization.
So that "lost story from the original run" was just a lie - or at least a misinterpretation.
In the end, Toriyama just invents a continuation to the manga similarly to what he did with Battle of Gods, just with even more involvement.
kei17 wrote:I hope it won't take place between Buu and the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai yet again.
Most likely, yes: you just confirmed it takes place after Battle of Gods, and Toriyama confirmed in an interview that there was nothing to do with the epilogue cast cause they're all too old to be of any interest. Plus, watch promo Goku wearing his usual dogi which he has given up in the epilogue, both for casual life and for fights.

So it's after Battle of Gods and before the "10 years later" epilogue, with a plot that reaches a new peak of quality like hardly ever before.
A 10 years gap with the number of active characters and family/friends relationships at the max , that's kind of a dream space to fill it with any plot you want.

But then, is Videl pregnant or Pan born? Will Bulma be pregnant? Did Goten and Trunks grow up a bit?
Will the epilogue be retconned with Kai's final episode placing scenes of the new movie as the new epilogue to new adventures? (very unlikely if you ask me)

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:50 am

Thanks to SaiyaJedi, now you can read a complete English translation of Toriyama's comment: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2014/07/15/v- ... velopment/

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:57 am

Any chance of Uub showing up?
#1 Paikuhan fan!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:02 am

samuraix123 wrote:Any chance of Uub showing up?
If it takes place after the tenkaichi epilogue then yes but from what he said about that time period i don't think we will get any stories in it
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:06 am

kei17 wrote:Thanks to SaiyaJedi, now you can read a complete English translation of Toriyama's comment: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2014/07/15/v- ... velopment/
Brilliant! Thanks for providing the text, and thanks to Julian for the translation!

From reading that, I get a totally different impression from the ANN report. Based on the wording it looks like this may in fact be a direct sequel to Battle of Gods.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:07 am

What is this "10 years epilogue" I keep reading about? I've been a little out of the loop recently.
Also, another movie? Sweet! More from the world of Dragon Ball is always welcome in my book.
One World. 🌐 🕊