Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Fukkatsu no F"

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:43 am

Sadly I really liked the idea of tying DBO to the manga continuity, but Revival of F could be throwing a pretty big wench into all the Freeza remnant information. Granted, there is no canon and there can be any number of continuities for it to do just that, but I just liked the idea of all the DB stuff Toriyama had a heavy hand in fitting together nicely in a single package. Ultimately though, I would just like a good story. I do feel like it would be a waste to bring him back, just to have him killed again...but I don't really want him taking Beerus' job or turning good. Hmm. What is in Toriyama's mind...?
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:52 am

Yeah, it would definitely be a waste to kill him off right after bringing him back. Maybe the movie will end with Freeza finally taking Gokuu's advice? Maybe Freeza will learn some bit of humility that he lacked when Gokuu first told him to go home and learn a new technique or two as Planet Namek was aflame? Beers, Gokuu, and Vegeta learned a little something in Kami to Kami, so having Freeza learn something--even if he stays antagonistic--would be nice. I also like the idea of making Freeza a new Destruction God, so perhaps those two ideas can be stitched together?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:53 am

I was against Freeza coming back, so I'd rather he just die. Even if it's a waste I don't really see any good coming of keeping him around. Villains being brought back and killed off has happened before, just not with these kind of gap between the appearances. I don't think that gap really makes it anything special though.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:56 am

So when do we get the translation for Freeza's message? Is it Freeza day?
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:57 am

Freeza will go home and become a family man.
He'll finally be there for Kuriza.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:59 am

Makaioshin wrote:Freeza will go home and become a family man.
He'll finally be there for Kuriza.
His wife will be a Saiyan he kept as a mistress, just you wait!!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:04 am

omae no kaasan wrote:Kid inspired by DBZ to spread DB info.
Starts to learn Japanese.
Writes an HTML webpage.
Becomes somewhat well-known after death of popular sites.
Goes through hell to obtain Daizenshuu.
Does shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitty translations.
Gets *way* too involved in edits (but hopefully that helped get people passionate).
Acts like a total dumbass in an iirc room of VIPs.
Makes some enemies because I'm still immature amongst HS senior or college-age young adults.
Goes to Japan, sees no DB merchandise and heart is broken.
Introduced to One Piece while in Japan.
Goes to college, grows the f up and realizes what mistakes he made as a kid.
Ah yes, the "good 'ol days" of DB fandom. That takes me back. God, we were young... :D
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:17 am

Hujio wrote:
omae no kaasan wrote:Kid inspired by DBZ to spread DB info.
Starts to learn Japanese.
Writes an HTML webpage.
Becomes somewhat well-known after death of popular sites.
Goes through hell to obtain Daizenshuu.
Does shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitty translations.
Gets *way* too involved in edits (but hopefully that helped get people passionate).
Acts like a total dumbass in an iirc room of VIPs.
Makes some enemies because I'm still immature amongst HS senior or college-age young adults.
Goes to Japan, sees no DB merchandise and heart is broken.
Introduced to One Piece while in Japan.
Goes to college, grows the f up and realizes what mistakes he made as a kid.
Ah yes, the "good 'ol days" of DB fandom. That takes me back. God, we were young... :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-ip02FknUo
I'll let you all decide who's who in the song :P
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:32 am

Herms wrote:
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:I'm quite looking forward to finding out whether Freeza will actually die again in this movie. If I hadn't seen BOG I would've thought there'd be no question about it, but after the way that film went I'm not so sure. I get the feeling he'll be defeated through means other than brute strength though...or maybe he joins forces with the Z Warriors and they cruise through the universe together on his spaceship.
Yeah, I'm really hoping this movie doesn't just boil down to "Freeza is brought to life again, killed again, the end" because obviously that would be a bit pointless. I know that BoG can arguably be summed up as "Beerus wakes up, goes back to sleep, the end" but at least with that we know Beerus is out there now. His existence adds something new and interesting to the DB universe (in my humble opinion). So I hope we get something like that with this movie, though I have no idea what it could be. Freeza turning good would be hard to swallow, but maybe him becoming a new God of Destruction and sticking around as a sort of necessary evil might be interesting. But really I just want this movie to be unlike anything we could possibly expect, and some of the early signs are encouraging in that regard (police officer Kuririn, for one).
Couldn't disagree more. I don't see any purpose Freeza can serve, and I was against him coming back anyway. I also think he's a shitty character. So I'd prefer he remain dead, and no one ever speak of this again. On top of that... wouldn't it just be unsatisfying if a brutal, sadistic, worthless, genocidal thug like him not only escaped justice, but became a god on top of that?
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:38 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:Couldn't disagree more. I don't see any purpose Freeza can serve, and I was against him coming back anyway. I also think he's a shitty character. So I'd prefer he remain dead, and no one ever speak of this again. On top of that... wouldn't it just be unsatisfying if a brutal, sadistic, worthless, genocidal thug like him not only escaped justice, but became a god on top of that?
Piccolo and Vegeta got off scot-free, I don't see the problem with giving Freeza a new place in the franchise if it comes from a genuine interest to tell a story.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:42 am

JulieYBM wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:Couldn't disagree more. I don't see any purpose Freeza can serve, and I was against him coming back anyway. I also think he's a shitty character. So I'd prefer he remain dead, and no one ever speak of this again. On top of that... wouldn't it just be unsatisfying if a brutal, sadistic, worthless, genocidal thug like him not only escaped justice, but became a god on top of that?
Piccolo and Vegeta got off scot-free, I don't see the problem with giving Freeza a new place in the franchise if it comes from a genuine interest to tell a story.
Piccolo didn't do much, and I do think Vegeta should have stayed dead.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:44 am

JulieYBM wrote:
Vegeta I agree. He got off WAAAAY to easy. Even for DB standards. However Piccolo did not. He litteraly gave his away alive to save Gohan. That's not being spot free IMO. I'm looking forward to Freeza. I do hope he loses. Back to back losses would be horrible. Two predictable endings is annoying.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:47 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Piccolo didn't do much, and I do think Vegeta should have stayed dead.
Piccolo tried conquering the planet three-plus times, kidnapped a child, roughed up people, falsely imprisoned God, and got off with nothing more than a "oh, well" because Gokuu is an equally amoral person, so I don't see how he isn't worthy of as much scorn as Vegeta, Freeza, Cell, Babidi, Darbra, the Red Ribbon Army, or even Gokuu.

Being horrible people is what makes these characters interesting characters in the first place, so I'm not even sure I see the problem with any of this given Dragon Ball has never had a message in the first place.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:51 am

He only prisoned God in self-defense, beat up people in a fighting tournament, and kidnapped a child so he could defend himself from aliens.

Ma Junior was a saint compared to Vegeta.
Last edited by Kid Buu on Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:53 am

Piccolo's crimes consist solely of trying to kill Goku, acting like a douche, and abusing Gohan for a year. Certainly bad, but he arguably made up for it (plus, the latter was somewhat justifiable), and he's not a sociopathic mass murdering creep like Vegeta, Cell, Babidi, or Freeza. Freeza getting away completely with everything would be very unsatisfying, especially since the complete humiliation and undignified demise he already got was so good.
Last edited by RandomGuy96 on Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:55 am

The worst he's done is abuse Gohan and that act made him look like a good father figure in the eyes of most fans.

There was no chance he was going to get punished.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:00 am

Kid Buu wrote:He only prisoned God in self-defense, beat up people in a fighting tournament, and kidnapped a child so he could defend himself from aliens.

Ma Junior was a saint compared to Vegeta.
Let's not forget how he helped Goku and Gohan improve themselves through his tough but fair training regimen (i.e. beating the shit out of them), befriending them in the process. Truly, he is a saint.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:03 am

Chuquita wrote:
omae no kaasan wrote:1. As in being in the movie or not? To my recollection they were not mentioned however, their names might have been mentioned via banter I missed. Just covering my butt but whether their names came up or not speaks nothing to their presence/absence in the film.

2. Well...it's pretty severe. I'm not the best person to ask on this since I do not have episode titles memorized (personally I think kei and Julian could most accurately field this) so I couldn't accurately compare it to how it has/hasn't been used previously in the series, however, it's a usual 'catch' word for shonen material. It paints a very clear picture of an impossible situation which is exactly what we want our heroes to come out on top of. So while it's not very 'unique', it definitely instills a sense of dread and hopelessness.

At least in me.
Thank you, I really appreciate it.

"Zetsubou" has only been used in DB(Z) episode titles for:
-The Trunks TV Special
-The Kaioshin flashback episode where Buu kills the other kaioshins
-A Future Trunks flashback episode about life in his era's world under 17 and 18's attacks

They're all really depressing/tragic episodes, which made me think this movie must have something like that in it.
You shouldn't look into it too much. It's a very generic anime phrase.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:04 am

Vegeta is probably the most evil big bad in the series. Even Nappa shows disgust at some of his behavior.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:23 am

NeoKING wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
omae no kaasan wrote:1. As in being in the movie or not? To my recollection they were not mentioned however, their names might have been mentioned via banter I missed. Just covering my butt but whether their names came up or not speaks nothing to their presence/absence in the film.

2. Well...it's pretty severe. I'm not the best person to ask on this since I do not have episode titles memorized (personally I think kei and Julian could most accurately field this) so I couldn't accurately compare it to how it has/hasn't been used previously in the series, however, it's a usual 'catch' word for shonen material. It paints a very clear picture of an impossible situation which is exactly what we want our heroes to come out on top of. So while it's not very 'unique', it definitely instills a sense of dread and hopelessness.

At least in me.
Thank you, I really appreciate it.

"Zetsubou" has only been used in DB(Z) episode titles for:
-The Trunks TV Special
-The Kaioshin flashback episode where Buu kills the other kaioshins
-A Future Trunks flashback episode about life in his era's world under 17 and 18's attacks

They're all really depressing/tragic episodes, which made me think this movie must have something like that in it.
You shouldn't look into it too much. It's a very generic anime phrase.
I still think it's important to understand how certain words apply to situations, especially when dealing with languages that aren't your native one(s).

I'm not well versed enough in Japanese to know, but in English you can use the same word for varying degrees of something:

Example:
That's a horrible sweater.
VS
What a horrible way to die.

If the above is something that doesn't normally happen in Japanese, then I could assign a degree of danger to "zetsubou".
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!