Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Fukkatsu no F"

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:28 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:
Chuquita wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/ochimusha108
Greg coming to the rescue for news updates!
Kuririn has his own police vehicle, Freeza has a new form, and more!
Seems like he hasn't been paying attention to news updates about the movie. Some things, like Sorbet and Tagoma, have been huge parts of the marketing thus far. Like in the magazine where his column is published, for instance. :P

Still, Kuririn with a police uniform and an airbike, I'm looking forward to seeing.

I wonder if they actually said there would be a new form for Freeza, though, or if Greg is simply extrapolating from the "further evolution" thing.
I can't wait to see the airbike. Toriyama always draws such interesting vehicles.
Would Greg be allowed to answer if asked to clarify on Freeza and the form?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:18 pm

I'm kinda hoping Frog-Ginyu appears in the movie at some point (He's on Earth, right? Unless an "alternate history" wish is granted?).

I'd love to see him cheering Freeza on or something.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:49 pm

Jackal puFF wrote:It's a bit weird that all the fighters are together training it seems but only Goten and Trunks are missing..
Toritori doesn't give a crap about them lol. He can barely even keep track how old they're suppoused to be (still looking like pre-school babies in Battle of Gods oh lawd...)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:51 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/saiyajedi/st ... 2311871488
Thank you, Julian!

New form for Freeza is hinted at, but not specifically said.

Fan-designs for this will appear everywhere (if they haven't already back when he was announced as the villain) once this gets around though.

I hope a script for what was said in the dialogue eventually makes its way online though.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

singsing
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by singsing » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:58 pm

Basaku wrote:
Jackal puFF wrote:It's a bit weird that all the fighters are together training it seems but only Goten and Trunks are missing..
Toritori doesn't give a crap about them lol. He can barely even keep track how old they're suppoused to be (still looking like pre-school babies in Battle of Gods oh lawd...)
Eh, if they're mirroring Goku then they won't become adolescent size for another couple of years.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:28 pm

singsing wrote:
Basaku wrote:Toritori doesn't give a crap about them lol. He can barely even keep track how old they're suppoused to be (still looking like pre-school babies in Battle of Gods oh lawd...)
Eh, if they're mirroring Goku then they won't become adolescent size for another couple of years.
This is a great point that I think many people forget.

Keep in mind that these are supposed to be sixteen-and-seventeen-year-olds.

Gohan looked the exact same in the Saiyan and Artificial Human arcs as well. He only began to look a little older once he became a Super Saiyan.

Considering how old Goten and Trunks are, I'd say they were doing pretty good in "Battle Of Gods."

Nightzus

Post by Nightzus » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:35 pm

I think Gohan is actually a counter example, considering he looked like a grown-up at the beginning of the Majin Bū arc while being only 16.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:37 pm

Gohan looked the exact same in the Saiyan and Artificial Human arcs as well. He only began to look a little older once he became a Super Saiyan.
Gohan was 5 in Freeza saga and hit a growth spurt when he was 9/10. A better example would be that Gohan got Chi Chi or Ox King traits and Goten got Goku's. Hell Vegeta isn't that tall so Trunks being short ain't a shock

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:59 pm

Nightzus wrote:I think Gohan is actually a counter example, considering he looked like a grown-up at the beginning of the Majin Bū arc while being only 16.
He's physically 18 by that point, right? That might explain why he gets to look like an adult. He hit 18. Maybe that's how Toriyama makes the distinction?

He definitely gets a little taller once he leaves the Room Of Spirit And Time as a Super Saiyan, but up until then he looks exactly like how he did it the Saiyan arc. That's not too far off from how old Goten and Trunks are "Battle Of Gods."

With the way Toriyama's style works, I wouldn't have expected Goten or Trunks to change considerably from the Buu arc to "Battle Of Gods." We'll just have to wait and see how much time passes between that and "Revival Of F."

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:07 pm

MagicBox wrote:
Nightzus wrote:I think Gohan is actually a counter example, considering he looked like a grown-up at the beginning of the Majin Bū arc while being only 16.
He's physically 18 by that point, right? That might explain why he gets to look like an adult. He hit 18. Maybe that's how Toriyama makes the distinction?
Probably still 17, technically. His birthday is some time in early May, and he stayed in the RoSaT for less than a year. The Buu Arc starts in April, but even when we do hit May for the tournament and possibly his birthday, not staying in the RoSaT for the full year doesn't quite make it come full circle to 18. Definitely close to it though.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:21 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote: LUKE, Han and Leia are in episode 7. Dragon Ball might work with a new cast of characters but only if we get Goku vs the new guy to send the series off.
Uub could have been that new guy, but GT kind of dropped the ball and didn't know what it wanted to be.

Toriyama was certainly hinting at Uub being the "next Goku", or Goku-type character, and even moreso with the redone art of Kinto'un.

I think it's always VERY tricky though. As any series continues, at first new doors open, but eventually doors close as what can happen in the future is constrained by what happened before. An example would be that at the beginning of Dragonball, potentially anything could have happened and it wasn't set in stone, and we got more and more developments about Goku's place in that universe. Goku's power also could have been kept from being too ridiculously greater than his allies.

However, eventually a point is reached where everything reaches a sort of stasis. Goku's overwhelming advantage over the non-Saiyan cast is an oft-complained about example of this; it gets harder and harder to have any stories where anybody but the two top two, Goku and Vegeta do anything, because the wider the gap between them and the rest of the cast gets the more asspulls have to be made to shuffle up weaker fighters to a stronger level so they can actually do something. The Buu Saga managed it because Gohan's potential had always been a factor, and the idea of Fusion allowed for Gotenks, but once they again fall from relevance, you can't repeat the same trick twice. It's not like we can now say that Gohan had even more potential or that some sort of Fusion Fusion could be performed. Well, we could, but then the series is basically a lackluster parody of itself.

There's basically a catch 22: Goku's role is too well defined now for it be as exciting as it was before, yet we are also attached to the character because of his history. In some ways it's for the best that character arcs eventually end and new ones start, but doing that without alienating fans can be very difficult, and you might not capture the same magic and essential feel as before, which is the thing you do want to maintain. It's tricky, and it's why almost all long-running series eventually fall into a rut.

Anyway... tl;dr

Just wanted to address that a little. Certainly things will be more on the topic of this movie when we have more designs and stuff. Can't wait to see Krillin's design. I think Toriyama tries his hardest to make the characters who have fallen behind still fun by giving them little new twists, and I appreciate that. Even though Krillin is locked into a certain role as far as drama of the story goes, it's still possible to do amusing things with Krillin that don't have a lot to do with the main story. Anything that says that other characters exist and have certain peculiarities helps a lot, and makes it feel more like a family or cast.

Out of nowhere, I also want to say that Krillin's grey haired brush mustache look he gets later totally suits the stereotypical police commissioner you see in movies, so GT did one thing appropriate.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:29 pm

MagicBox wrote:I'm kinda hoping Frog-Ginyu appears in the movie at some point (He's on Earth, right? Unless an "alternate history" wish is granted?).
He's only shown on Earth in the anime. It's possible he's wished to Earth along with everyone else in the manga as well, but it's never shown. Either way, it wouldn't be too surprising for him to pop up in this movie.
MagicBox wrote:He's physically 18 by that point, right?
Gohan's age is always a bit fiddly. The narrator does describe him as 16 at the start of the Boo arc, but thanks to his training in the Room of Spirit and Time he should physically be at least 17. In that filler episode with Gohan's birthday, Chi-Chi even says that Gohan turned 11 training in the Room (which is the only reason they celebrate his birthday that episode; Gohan specifically says it's not currently his real birthday). The Boo arc is repeatedly said to be 7 years after the Cell Games, so logically Gohan should be physically 18. The tricky part is how much time passes between Freeza's defeat on Namek and when he attacks Earth, since it's different between the manga and anime. The manga says a year passes after they finish up all those wishes bringing people back to life and sending the Namekians off, meaning 260 days plus a year, so almost two years (this is also reflected in the Daizenshuu 7 timeline and all later official timelines). The anime though just says a year passes...which is confusing, because the only way for Gohan to be 11 in that birthday episode is for almost two years to pass between the Namek arc and Trunks showing up, so the anime isn't internally consistent in that regard. To make things more confusing, the Viz translation words the narration in a way that leaves it ambiguous if "a year has passed" refers to the end of the wishing sessions, or the end of the battle on Namek. Also, the Funi dub makes Gohan older when he first appears...and apparently in the actual Jump issue where he debuts, he has a different age which then got changed for the collected edition, the anime, and everything else that followed. So...yeah...
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:49 pm

Re: Uub

There's a lot they could've done with him. GT wasted his potential. The fact that he used to be Majin Buu and doesn't know. The baggage that entails once he would learn it. His big family (Uub had 9 or so siblings, right?) and how his parents struggle to make ends meet.

And then you've got 4 year old Pan waiting in the wings. I liked Z's Pan. She's fun.

It makes how GT turned out even more depressing to me. Because if they were going to hand off the main character keys, those two written in a Toriyama style could've been great. (And meanwhile Gokû's running around in the background doing ridiculous stuff that's not fully explained as it would take the fun out of him background charactering :3 )

Yeah, that I could buy.

No complete cast reboot as that'd make me horribly unhappy (ultimately, I watch because I enjoy Gokû and Vegeta's antics. Also sometimes Gohan and Kuririn. I'm not here for the world, I'm here for the characters)., but I would like to see what they would've done with Uub in a more focused scenario.

Re: power scaling

I think if they had keep Gokû's power closer to the rest of the cast, not only could the series have run longer, but there'd be much less irrelevance later on where Kuririn, Piccolo, and Tenshinhan are concerned.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:07 pm

I probably nit-picking a little bit, but, shouldn't Freeza not being able to revive at all? Piccolo told Vegeta, that really evil being have their souls purified, memory reset, and they are reincarnated. Vegeta was special case so he could get back to life. I'm really curious about this movie, because so far, amount of bullshit is even higher than Episode of Bardock.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:29 pm

coola wrote:I probably nit-picking a little bit, but, shouldn't Freeza not being able to revive at all? Piccolo told Vegeta, that really evil being have their souls purified, memory reset, and they are reincarnated. Vegeta was special case so he could get back to life. I'm really curious about this movie, because so far, amount of bullshit is even higher than Episode of Bardock.
That's why I was hoping so badly that Jump Festa would clear some things up. T_T
The only thing it solved was why Gohan's dressed the way he is. That's all that got solved. :(

Clarfication on:
-The exact wish(es) that get made that bring back Freeza
-to what is "zetsubou" referring, as that word is mostly used in DB context to refer to Future Trunks' world? I'd like to think they're just not throwing the word around here.
-what impressed Torishima about the script?
-the state of Gokû's ssjg form
-the symbols on his and Vegeta's outfits
-Kuririn is bald, why?
-Where are Trunks, Goten, 18, and Majin Buu?

Answers would've been amazing. It wouldn't have had to been all of it, just one or two of those things being explained would've been great.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:34 pm

TheRed259 wrote:Merry Christmas wishes from Freeza.
http://www.dragonball2015-special.com/
Ok, that does cheer me up a little bit. :3
Freeza-audio-micro-blog as a special feature is fun. As is Freeza saying "Merry Christmas". The original "Gokû v Freeza" battle did take place on Christmas after all. I thought that earlier one was a one-time thing, not the start of a set.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:53 pm

TheRed259 wrote:Merry Christmas wishes from Freeza.
http://www.dragonball2015-special.com/
"Merry Christmas!"

*Blows up planet wearing a Santa hat*
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:21 pm

coola wrote:I probably nit-picking a little bit, but, shouldn't Freeza not being able to revive at all? Piccolo told Vegeta, that really evil being have their souls purified, memory reset, and they are reincarnated. Vegeta was special case so he could get back to life.
We can't really say for sure until we see exactly how things play out in the movie, and precisely what the wish is, but offhand...the rule about evil people reincarnating certainly seems to make Freeza's resurrection extra complicated, but not impossible by any stretch. It could just be that when Freeza gets wished back, somewhere out in the universe somebody drops dead because their soul has suddenly turned back into Freeza. Or it could be that the wish results in a paradoxical situation where revived Freeza exists simultaneously with a reincarnated version of Freeza elsewhere in the universe. Both of these situations are strange, but neither seems to me impossible by DB standards. Surely nobody would doubt that the dragon balls could be used to (for instance) wish for two different versions of Bulma to exist at once, and it seems that it's fine wishing to kill people as long as the people in question aren't way more powerful than the balls' creator. Morality doesn't seem to factor into it at all. So as long as Freeza's reincarnation is a relatively ordinary person rather than a super-being like Freeza himself, the dragon balls could probably be used to kill him or create a weird situation where his prior incarnation is resurrected while he still stays intact.

It could also be that the movie depicts Freeza as having never been reincarnated, for one reason or another, which would obviously simplify things. They might come up with an explanation for this that is consistent with the idea in the manga that bad guys are typically reincarnated (maybe like Vegeta, Freeza's soul was specially put aside for some reason). Or the movie may just present non-reincarnation as the norm in contrast with the manga (but consistent with GT, movie 12, and various bits of filler), or not touch on the matter at all. Honestly, while I do quite like keeping track of how DB's afterlife is supposed to work, I really won't mind the new movie contradicting stuff as long as it tells a good story. If it turns out to have a shitty story and contradict the main series a bunch then I'll be a pretty unhappy guy, but until then I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:28 pm

It's also worth noting that we don't know how long it takes before a soul is even put up for reincarnation or how long the process usually takes in the manga. (Movie 12 makes it seem like they go to the cleanser before going to hell though if I remember correctly, which contradicts the anime filler and possibly the movie itself?) It could be entirely normal for souls to sit in hell for a hundred years before they are brought to the spirit laundry machine thing. I don't think we have any real information on this, do we? The only example we have is Buu, who was reincarnated very quickly because Enma did it as a favor for Goku and because his soul was super evil, which made it easier to cleanse.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)