Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection '

Post by jcogginsa » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:06 pm

All I want out of this movie is an enjoyable experience, and I won't know whether I'll get one 'til I see it. I'm cautiously optimistic.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:06 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote: So anyone who thought BOG was bad or needed a bit more action thinks DB is action only. Dragonball was comedy-adventure-action. Then it became Action-Comedy-Adventure. The series evolved. Yo Son Goku was the best thing out of modern Db. Good comedy, great action, decent plot.

Return of Freeza seems like too much actions (PERFRCT FOR MY AMV CHANNEL!)

Battle of Gods was too much gags.

2008 OVA. Was just right.
I never thought people took dragon ball's plot seriously, I believed like myself that we all loved dbz for its action and comedy, guess people really do have different taste and it seems almost everyone is already dissapointed.
I don't take the plot seriously at all. Goten is my favorite character. Shows how much I care for plot. I love the characters. I however do call out bullshit or if something is lacking.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:06 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:
I never thought people took dragon ball's plot seriously, I believed like myself that we all loved dbz for its action and comedy
If that was the case Buu arc would be the most beloved and clearly its not. Instead the Saiyan/Namek/Android/Cell arcs with heaviest plots, biggest buildups and twists are in highest regard among the fandom.

No one who criticized BOG asked for paper-thin plot in the sequel, especially after barely developed BOG story.
Last edited by Basaku on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:07 pm

I want to thank Kei for this honest thoughts (although I fear it will only exacerbate things around here...).

Eh, if it's mindless action, then it's mindless action. So be it. I'm more of a "character" guy than a "story" guy. I'll watch Goku and Vegeta go to the supermarket if it's entertaining enough. That's the whole appeal of the driving episode. I'll happily sit through 90 minutes of in-character fun. Hell, we all enjoy the first 13 DBZ movies, and they're all just mindless action (and not everybody's in-character, to boot).

Still excited.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:08 pm

I always find it odd when people say the previous film didn't have a lot of action. It had quite a bit! Said action simply was not all particularly good...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

GsTvo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GsTvo » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:09 pm

kei17 wrote: THIS IS NOT A MOVIE.

There's a Japanese term 起承転結 (introduction, development, turn, conclusion) which is often referred to when it comes to writing fiction, and Resurrection F completely lacks development in it. Foes appear, warriors gather, fight, then win. There is no development in the story. It's just punch, punch, kick, beam, funny conversations, punch, beam, funny reactions, beam, punch, Kamehameha! I can even hardly call this a story. It fails to be something enough calling a movie.
That leaves us a very few number of Dragon Ball MOVIES (maybe 3 or 4?).
Maybe in the next movie we will see the come back of Tao Pai Pai o somehow Pui Pui returns with the label of "the greatest enemy", with Toriyama we don't know.

PD: 2008 OVA was the only good thing of Dragon Ball after the The Path to Power.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:12 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote: So anyone who thought BOG was bad or needed a bit more action thinks DB is action only. Dragonball was comedy-adventure-action. Then it became Action-Comedy-Adventure. The series evolved. Yo Son Goku was the best thing out of modern Db. Good comedy, great action, decent plot.

Return of Freeza seems like too much actions (PERFRCT FOR MY AMV CHANNEL!)

Battle of Gods was too much gags.

2008 OVA. Was just right.
I never thought people took dragon ball's plot seriously, I believed like myself that we all loved dbz for its action and comedy, guess people really do have different taste and it seems almost everyone is already dissapointed.
I don't take the plot seriously at all. Goten is my favorite character. Shows how much I care for plot. I love the characters. I however do call out bullshit or if something is lacking.
Glad to hear that, hopefully people will still watch and buy its dvd despite hearing all the spoilers and the other negative comments. I love Goten too :thumbup: sad he aint in the movie tho.

Drayenko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Drayenko » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:12 pm

I hope that the next movie focuses on the different universes, deeply hope so.

Or heck, if we are disregarding GT so much, make a movie about the Dragon Balls and the accumulation of bad energy, it's a plot point straight from the manga that contradicts nothing.
SansrivaaL wrote: Glad to hear that, hopefully people will still watch and buy its dvd despite hearing all the spoilers and the other negative comments. I love Goten too :thumbup: sad he aint in the movie tho.
I will for sure go and buy the limited edition version, always do. I'm that kind of stupid fan. But still...
Last edited by Drayenko on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:13 pm

JulieYBM wrote:MagicBox, go watch Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso! It's definitely something you would like!
Thanks for the recommendation, by the way! With the thread growing so rapidly, I almost missed this.

If everybody's in-character and the writing is a little creative, then I can see why Torishima praised this. It doesn't have to revolutionize Dragon Ball to be enjoyable.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

GeeRod
Beyond Newbie

Post by GeeRod » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:13 pm

Freeza died and his cocoon on hell was empty? Is that true?
English is not my main language. Sorry if I make a mistake.

SSJGFrieza
Banned

Post by SSJGFrieza » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:13 pm

Oh man a whole year of waiting :(

I just hope there is one.
Freeza died and his cocoon on hell was empty? Is that true?
No he died and that's it :thumbdown:
Last edited by SSJGFrieza on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda Young 4 lyfe

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:14 pm

The driving episode is love. <3

My sadness at the potential loss of magenta ssjg is completely mitigated by the fact that there is Gokû and Vegeta relationship development stuff in here. *u*
I honestly thought it was difficult to grab my attention with that at this point in the game but clearly it's not because I am now super-excited to see how this plays out. Bring on the relationship development, movie summary!! Image
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Saiyan007
Regular

Post by Saiyan007 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:15 pm

JulieYBM wrote:I always find it odd when people say the previous film didn't have a lot of action. It had quite a bit! Said action simply was not all particularly good...
The action was there but it was just really tame even for Db standards

Also i think people had a problem that two "Gods" fighting looked pretty passive and the only good fight scene lasted only 2 minutes

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:16 pm

Another I'd like to add is that an action movie with too much story would also be boring as hell. I would be like "shut up and fight already" after about 30 minutes of too much talking. BoG sorta did bore me to tears in that area. What was Toriyama trying to do, kiss the Otakus asses or something?

Again, I'm glad there's a lot of action, it's just the fact that Frieza's backstory wasn't explained, which makes the whole reason to bring him back pointless!
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:19 pm

I'm not really sure how to feel having read that, Kei. It sounds like every other Dragon Ball film (aside from Battle of Gods), but at the same time, it sounds far better than them. Parts of your post seem quite contradictory, so hopefully we can get some clarification.

This film features a villain we've known for many years now, it's very different from Battle of Gods, where most of the new development arose from introducing these villains and having them interact with our beloved characters. Is this film really so bad for focusing on interaction and development with characters we already know, rather than trying to complicate Freeza's return?

Does Jaco not get a proper introduction? I can't imagine he's totally left unexplored, surely? Do Freeza's soldiers get any sort of characterisation akin to the Ginyu Tokusentai? Sorbet and Tagoma aren't left as worthless mannequins, right? This whole deal with the blue haired Saiyan, is that even a thing? If so, does that not suffice for some sort of story?

I haven't seen the film, so these questions are all sincere, I'm not trying to poke holes in your review, I'd just like to get a better understanding!

I don't mind an action heavy film, but I'd like to know whether the characters on screen actually have some depth and aren't just worthless punching bags. What separates this film from what came before? How did you feel about Battle of Gods in comparison to this? Just looking for a clearer perspective, really.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

VeteranX

Post by VeteranX » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:19 pm

I'm pretty sure its still gonna be awesome time watching. Wish we could gotten some explanation on how freeza trained to get that strong. Also is the blue form/hair officially confirmed?
Favorite characters: Goku,Vegeta,Future Trunks

On my way to collect all the dragon balls!

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:20 pm

Drayenko wrote:I hope that the next movie focuses on the different universes, deeply hope so.

Or heck, if we are disregarding GT so much, make a movie about the Dragon Balls and the accumulation of bad energy, it's a plot point straight from the manga that contradicts nothing.
SansrivaaL wrote: Glad to hear that, hopefully people will still watch and buy its dvd despite hearing all the spoilers and the other negative comments. I love Goten too :thumbup: sad he aint in the movie tho.
I will for sure go and buy the limited edition version, always do. I'm that kind of stupid fan. But still...
That makes 2 of us, guess when it comes to Dragon Ball I dont mind being called a stupid fan, heck I would be proud to be so *internet high five* :thumbup:

GeeRod
Beyond Newbie

Post by GeeRod » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:21 pm

EXBadguy wrote:Another I'd like to add is that an action movie with too much story would also be boring as hell. I would be like "shut up and fight already" after about 30 minutes of too much talking. BoG sorta did bore me to tears in that area. What was Toriyama trying to do, kiss the Otakus asses or something?
Every goddamn shonen series is like that. Talk, fight and talk again. You live under a rock?
English is not my main language. Sorry if I make a mistake.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:22 pm

Planning to import the blu-ray, but will probably do the regular edition this time unless the limited has something really cool about it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:22 pm

Chuquita wrote:The driving episode is love. <3

My sadness at the potential loss of magenta ssjg is completely mitigated by the fact that there is Gokû and Vegeta relationship development stuff in here. *u*
I honestly thought it was difficult to grab my attention with that at this point in the game but clearly it's not because I am now super-excited to see how this plays out. Bring on the relationship development, movie summary!! Image
Your comments never ceases to amaze me on how I like it :clap:
As long as its dbz it always grabs my attention, I just love anything dbz related.