Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Fukkatsu no F"

Post by Saiga » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:51 pm

I think I prefer his GT hairstyle over his EOZ hairstyle honestly. It's weird, but once you get used to it, it's very unique. Exactly what he needed after being a Goku clone. Just look at how weird Goku's hair is, anyway.

His EOZ hairstyle to me looks fairly generic and doesn't look like it'd look good as a Super Saiyan. I've seen one piece of fan art that does his EOZ hair really well as a Super Saiyan, but that's it.

edit: I got ninja'd, but his hair absolutely stands out from Gohan. No-one has hair like Goten, the difference is clear even when it stands up in Super Saiyan... depending on the animator.

Vegeta and Gohan have more similarity in GT. I think Gohan never should have lost his single front bang.

Actually, now I'm wondering how Goten's GT hair would look with bangs.
Last edited by Saiga on Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:52 pm

Basaku wrote:How does it stand out? Half of the time it not even possible to tell him apart from Gohan lol. EOZ works for him because he uses it in 'adult' form while Gohan was using it in kid "form". Adult Gohan mostly has his "iconic" style locked (which of course Akira tries to mess up now lol).
It is vaguely similar to Gohan's Boo arc hair (and I guess then remotely similar to Yamcha's Android arc hair, kinda), but...tilted...to the left? I dunno, there's just something about it that I've always found much more aesthetically pleasing than his longer hair from the end of the manga.

Regardless of what kind of hairstyle he gets though, I do hope we get to see an older Goten/Trunks in this movie. Everything we've started to get further on for this film seems to be going against the 'alternate universe' theory, they'd have to be there somewhere I would think. And the way they've been hiding them up until now speaks volumes, I'd like to think.
As for Yamcha, well, basically every character has ripped one of his hairstyles at this point. He's a trend setter :P
:lol: Poor guy. He can't catch a break even when it comes to his hairstyles.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:52 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Basaku wrote:
Chuquita wrote:teenage character designs for Goten and Trunks. :3
Don't worry, even if they do Toriyama will ruin Goten with some new bad hairstyle (like his GT design...) instead of the flawless EOZ design :problem:
I've seen a lot of people express this, so I know I'm in the minority here, but I...I don't get it. I really don't. :? Goten's EOZ hair to me is just another 'long haired' design, similar to Saiyan arc Yamcha or early Androids arc Gohan. His GT hair at least stands out amongst the various other spikey haired designs, and I've always kinda liked it myself.

Not trying to say people aren't entitled to disliking the GT hair, mind you. I just don't see what's so bad about it is all.
His hair does NOT stand out in DBGT. Not at all. 3 characters had similar or same haircut. Vegeta, Goten, and Gohan. His EOZ was also NOTHING like Yamcha hair cut. It's actually have more differences than similar. The only thing similar is that the hair is down. EoZ Goten is actually the best design of the Z fighters. His GT haircut was terrible. 0/10.

Merry Christmas to all.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:55 pm

Saiga wrote:I think I prefer his GT hairstyle over his EOZ hairstyle honestly. It's weird, but once you get used to it, it's very unique. Exactly what he needed after being a Goku clone. Just look at how weird Goku's hair is, anyway.

His EOZ hairstyle to me looks fairly generic and doesn't look like it'd look good as a Super Saiyan. I've seen one piece of fan art that does his EOZ hair really well as a Super Saiyan, but that's it.

U can't even tell him apart in half shots from Gohan lol. It's not good for him, it's already "the" style for Gohan (with 1 strand in front or not), making it slight skewed is still way too similar. His EOZ design made him stand out from Goku and Gohan (and Yamcha at that point as well).

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:05 pm

I can easily tell them apart. And that's with them standing so close there hair literally bleeds together.

Like I said, Gohan never should have lost the bang, but even with that it's very easy to tell them apart. Goten's EOZ hair just doesn't stand out and looks like something Yamcha would wear.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:13 pm

Goten's EOZ hair just doesn't stand out and looks like something Yamcha would wear.
No...it doesn't. Goten hair at EOZ only had 1 similar thing to Yamcha. It's down. There is litteraly no other similar thing about it.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:17 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
Goten's EOZ hair just doesn't stand out and looks like something Yamcha would wear.
No...it doesn't. Goten hair at EOZ only had 1 similar thing to Yamcha. It's down. There is litteraly no other similar thing about it.
The color.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:26 pm

I think Goten's EoZ hair was better. It fell in line with the character traits we'd seen from him as a kid and judging from that he'd likely turn out much closer to Goku than Gohan did. Goku wouldn't care about style or keeping his hair tidy and it's hard to imagine Goten would either (Given what we saw of him as a child). Of course Toei didn't care about Goten's previous personality and made him the complete opposite in GT to what he was in Z which isn't totally unbelievable given the time skip but.. it's just unrecognizable as Goten except in name only. IMO that's a bad decision to make in a series with such large time skips and no backstory to fill in the gaps. Trunks is a perfect example of doing it the right way, very subtle change of hairstyle and despite any rapid change in appearance and personality you still know immediately who it is regardless of if you'de previously seen the Android arc or not.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:32 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:
Besides him, the Z fighters and their family & friends are the only one who really knows about them. I didn't bring up Pilaf since he stop being a threat after the Piccolo Daiamo. Not to mention the Z fighters pretty much forgotten about him since no one recognized him at Bluma's party in BOG.
And the RRA survivors, as I mentioned in my above post. Violet and Tao, at the very least.
We don't even know if the RRA survivors, Violet and Tao are even alive? They most likely died from Buu and never got wish backed. Tao was a very evil person, his chances on being wished back are very low.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:34 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:
Besides him, the Z fighters and their family & friends are the only one who really knows about them. I didn't bring up Pilaf since he stop being a threat after the Piccolo Daiamo. Not to mention the Z fighters pretty much forgotten about him since no one recognized him at Bluma's party in BOG.
And the RRA survivors, as I mentioned in my above post. Violet and Tao, at the very least.
Super Buu killed them along with the remaining billion or so Earthlings when he fired the Human Extinction Attack. Though, I guess if even Vegeta can be revived because he's not considered as evil as Babidi and co, then Tao and Violet could too.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:53 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:
Super Buu killed them along with the remaining billion or so Earthlings when he fired the Human Extinction Attack. Though, I guess if even Vegeta can be revived because he's not considered as evil as Babidi and co, then Tao and Violet could too.
Yeah, but Dende reactivated the balls during the Cell Arc. I assumed we were talking about Dende creating a password in general, not just after the Buu Arc.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:00 am

Isn't the "password" just "Eternal Dragon, by your name, I summon you forth: Shenron!"?

(At least that was what I think they say in the dub)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:14 am

It was mentioned a few pages back, but I don't think it was ever answered/translated into English; what's Freeza's full "Merry Christmas" message on the dragonball2015 site say?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:18 am

I wonder if Toei will do a proper world-wide release this time. Considering how much money the Battle of Gods STILL made despite extremly limited & botched international release. They're sitting on a goldmine

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:53 am

NitroEX wrote:Isn't the "password" just "Eternal Dragon, by your name, I summon you forth: Shenron!"?

Characters pretty much just say anything that amounts to "come forth Shenlong", sometimes with "and grant my wish" stuck in there somewhere, but sometimes not. There definitely doesn't seem to be a specific set of words that must be used or else Shenlong won't appear. In the movies it seems like they do always say pretty much the same thing each time, but even then, there's no suggestion that you have to use those exact words. It's a bit weird in the Namek arc when Kuririn goes "oh, Freeza must not know the password" for the Namekian dragon balls, as if that were a standard feature with the Earth balls, when actually nothing like that is mentioned before then. But I guess Kuririn's never been around to see the balls used firsthand before (not in the main series anyway, but I guess in DBZ movie 3), so maybe he just assumes there must be some sort of standardized chant or whatever.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:26 am

...and I think you just blew my mind there, Herms. I totally didn't realize that Kuririn actually never does see a Dragon summoned until Namek, so the first time isn't even with his own home planet's Dragon Balls. That's...actually kind of bizarre to think about.

I remember mention being made once upon a time about a 'wish guide', which I now presume might be something that would be on the future Wiki; perhaps that'd be something neat to note on those entries as well, who exactly was present when each wish was made.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:30 am

Wasn't Porunga's password just his name? So Shenron would be the same.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:41 am

Saiga wrote:Wasn't Porunga's password just his name? So Shenron would be the same.
That's not really true. I know it's the name of the episode but there's slightly more to it than that. There's not so much a password as it is just using the Namekian language. Oddly enough, Porunga himself speaks English/Japanese.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:23 am

Basaku wrote:I wonder if Toei will do a proper world-wide release this time. Considering how much money the Battle of Gods STILL made despite extremly limited & botched international release. They're sitting on a goldmine
I think we will get another limited release here in the US. Foreign movies rarely get big releases in the US since Hollywood feels like that there's not a big market for them. BOG did well for a DBZ movie in the US and did everything on what you can expect for a anime film based on a 25+ TV series from Japan.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:28 am

Herms wrote:
NitroEX wrote:Isn't the "password" just "Eternal Dragon, by your name, I summon you forth: Shenron!"?

Characters pretty much just say anything that amounts to "come forth Shenlong", sometimes with "and grant my wish" stuck in there somewhere, but sometimes not. There definitely doesn't seem to be a specific set of words that must be used or else Shenlong won't appear. In the movies it seems like they do always say pretty much the same thing each time, but even then, there's no suggestion that you have to use those exact words. It's a bit weird in the Namek arc when Kuririn goes "oh, Freeza must not know the password" for the Namekian dragon balls, as if that were a standard feature with the Earth balls, when actually nothing like that is mentioned before then. But I guess Kuririn's never been around to see the balls used firsthand before (not in the main series anyway, but I guess in DBZ movie 3), so maybe he just assumes there must be some sort of standardized chant or whatever.
YOU'RE RIGHT!! He was dead for one that he was around for and at Kami's for the other.

However, in Dragonball Movie 2 where Shenlong comes out of the lake is the first time in the anime that he sees the Dragon, and the second time would be the Tree of Might. However, in the manga, the first time he sees it is on Namek!
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada