Let's make GIFs out of your favorite scenes [Fun Thread]

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Let's make GIFs out of your favorite scenes [Fun Thread]

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:01 pm

I don't believe that this sort of thread has ever been done before but if it has, please let me know. Anyway, this thread is very similar to AjayLikesGaming's Glorious Anime Screenshot Thread (which is also where I got the idea to create this thread, kudos Ajay), except for one striking difference. Instead of using still images/screenshots, in this thread we're going to be using GIFs. For those of you who don't know what a GIF is, they're audio-less, short animations that play continuously (take my profile pic as reference). I'd also like for you guys to share your thoughts on why you chose that specific scene as well, and any further discussing of that subject is not necessary, but it would be appreciated :D. Here's what you should know before you head out and insert your GIF, take these three points into consideration.
  1. It doesn't matter to me how good your GIFs look, I'll take anything. And since GIFs only support 256 colors, quality loss is imminent.
  • I don't recommend using GIFs that are longer than 5 seconds.
  • You can choose more than one scene to share, but refrain from using anything more than 3.
Now that we've gotten that out of the way, let's get started, shall we? Here's Goku transforming into a Super Saiyan for the first time.

[non-Dragon Ball image removed by admin]

Yes, it's the debut of the legendary Super Saiyan! And no, that's not why I chose the particular scene. First off, just look at that animation, Toei couldn't have picked a better animation team at the time to make this scene work as well as it has in my opinion. Second, just look at the expression on his face. This scene perfectly illustrates that this is not the same innocent and sweet Goku we've known to come and love. I don't think I've ever seen anyone in the series look so angry, and what's shocking is that this is Goku! I mean seriously, those veins just POP! In my opinion this is one of the most well-done scenes in the series.

Now it's your turn, pick the scene you like and explain why you chose that specific one in the first place.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Re: Let's make GIFs out of your favorite scenes [Fun Thread]

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:44 pm

Not my favorite scene, but it has to be one of the best animated scenes in Dragon Ball. The timing, the choreography, it's flawless. I aspire to be as good an animator as Naotoshi... well as far as action goes.

I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Saiyan007
Regular

Post by Saiyan007 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:40 pm

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:51 pm

Aww.. I was gonna make this thread soon, because I have tons of GIFs I've made over the past 2 years. That's what I get for procastinating I guess.

Let me just make the suggestion that people make their GIFs properly, not from some poorly encoded, frame blended YouTube video. When I make GIFs, I do them frame by frame. If the background is scrolling, I usually capture each frame. I count one frame from the show as 4 seconds on a GIF (or 40ms if your maker goes by ms instead of s). If the cel is on screen for 2 frames, it would be at 80ms or 8 seconds in the GIF. Since the old singles are encoded at 30FPS instead of the proper 24FPS, the 4 seconds isn't applicable, and there are excess "garbage" frames from the poor encode. For the singles, I'd just guestimate, or try to eliminate the duplicate frames. I could probably go with multiples of 5, but in Irfanview, 4 is what looks correct. It seems too fast in Firefox though.

I use GIMP for pasting all of the screenshots as frames (layers), I reduce the resolution by half, and then use the index color function to reduce the color count to around 32 colors to keep the size down (but it isn't necessary). I then check to see if there are any similar colors that can be eliminated, and then I go into the color map and copy one RGB value and paste it over the similar entry and lower the color count by how many colors I overwrote. Sometimes I even fill in portions that have odd colors (like white patches on skin) to get it to look smoother. Then I export it with every frame set to 40ms, and then go into Microsoft GIF animator where I fine tune each frame's length.

That's how I make my GIFs. It's time consuming, but well worth the results. I'm sure there are better ways of capturing the frames though.

Here are a few for now:

Last edited by Metalwario64 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:56 pm

Another question (soz about these) how's does one go about making GIF's? I really don't know much about these sorts of things. Thanks.
Edit-
Never mind just saw Metals post.
Last edited by Baggie_Saiyan on Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:57 pm

Oh man, didn't mean to rain on your parade there, my apologies :mrgreen: and nice method, will definitely use it for future use, yours looks fantastic.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:58 pm

Black_Anime_Fan wrote:Oh man, didn't mean to rain on your parade there, my apologies :mrgreen: and nice method, will definitely use it for future use, yours looks fantastic.
No problem. I was worried this might happen, but I was being lazy, so whatevs. :mrgreen:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:09 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Another question (soz about these) how's does one go about making GIF's? I really don't know much about these sorts of things. Thanks.
Wasn't your old avatar a GIF of Goten?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:45 pm

Black_Anime_Fan wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Another question (soz about these) how's does one go about making GIF's? I really don't know much about these sorts of things. Thanks.
Wasn't your old avatar a GIF of Goten?
Yeah, I nicked that from Google lol, was the only GIF I could find that had the right dimensions.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:57 pm

Great gifs Metalwario64 but the first one was the source of it from the Orange Brick release? It looks so yellowy.

I'm thinking of giffing Gohan's nutty scream towards Garlic Jr. (from the film).
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:37 pm

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:08 pm

I've always liked this close-up shot of Goktenks' face as he's turning SS3.

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:20 am

I just had to post these. Image Image Image Image Image
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:22 am

That Janemba one is acceptable, but the others remind me of how little care people on the internet put into GIFs. Not saying it's your fault, I'm sure you got them from other places, it's just a general statement.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:03 am

Couldn't find a better quality version of this... but I love Mashiro Shimanuki's animation to death. He makes a punch look like doomsday.

And this one is just awesome.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:15 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:
Wow, where did people find Shimanuki Masahiro's original genga?

EDIT: Kei thinks this is actually the key animation of Iizuka Youko.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:11 pm

Yeah that last one isn't Shimanuki. I couldn't find any genga with his work.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:44 pm

Gohan's transformation into Super Saiyan 2 for the first time is probably my favorite moment in the anime and I feel this scene makes it all the more memorable. The tears fading off into the air isn't something you often see and it gives a striking impression.

Goku blasts off into the distance like some shooting star which makes a spectacular sight for the viewer, but no doubt one of horrific futility for Jeice.

Trunks ascends into Super Saiyan and simultaneously sends Freeza's henchmen off to purgatory. I love Trunks' transformation sequence as a whole, but having lifeless bodies rise off the screen was such a cool effect to me as a kid, and makes it unique from scenes of similar action.

radrappy
Beyond Newbie

Post by radrappy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:07 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Was there ever anything later that was as well animated/drawn/choreographed as the vegeta vs recoome fight? I feel like nothing in later sagas even compares. Hell even the final Freeza fight pales in comparison. It always fascinated me that such an inconsequential fight was given such lovin'.

as for favorite scenes this has to be mine. The timing and depth of the shot are incredible.

EDIT: didn't realize this was a topic for your own home-made gifs. I'll leave the above gif up, but know that It's not mine and I couldn't find the source.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:02 pm

Well, not necessarily, though it's recommended.

Here's a GIF I made a few months ago of that scene:

Also, here's the final version of that key frame GIF that I just made (though it's a redrawn Kai shot):

It's very interesting to see how the style was changed.

Here's a better version of Gohan's Super Saiyan 2 shot that I made a year ago: