Will FUNimation stop using Faulconer for future Z releases?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Will FUNimation stop using Faulconer for future Z releases?

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:20 am

For the future Dragon Ball Z releases, that is, I think everyone's aware that the situation between FUNimation and Faulconer isn't the friendliest and also considering they're now using the official scores of anime series than US replacements this might be the case.

Also, if FUNimation wants to ditch their old fanbase who cling so hard onto the Faulconer (forgetting that the early Z was by Nathan Johnson) score this is the way to go.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Will FUNimation stop using Faulconer for future Z releas

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:42 am

Future Z releases? I honestly think there's been enough already. IF they did another one, though, I still don't think they'd remove the Johnson / Faulconer option. They'd lose a whole lot of dub fans that way. But, then again, these dub fans probably are happy with the current releases. I'm satisfied with my Season DVDs, for one.

I do agree that a lot of people forget about the existence of the score that was there for a whole 67 episodes. Not much compared to the rest of the series, but there are still entire series that are shorter than that.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:04 am

As much as I'd LOVE to see the US scores gone for good, I'm sure we'll see it on the next set of Blu-Rays a couple years down the road. That's right, FUNimation will milk that cow again with another Blu-Ray remastering down the road.

FUNimation did make the right choice with the Dragon Boxes though, only having one English track on there. As a product touted for the "hardcore, true-to-the-original-version fan", it made perfect sense to have the English dub with Japanese score on there only. One of the reasons I bought that release right away and dumped off my Orange Bricks and single DVDs.

I'd rather see FUNimation use the money they're paying Faulconer for the music royalties, and instead put that towards producing and releasing high-quality products with faithful localizations.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:19 am

Don't quote me on this, but wasn't it said that they only have to pay him royalties if they air it on TV? They don't have to pay him a thing for Home Video releases, apparently. I don't know, lawsuits are confusing. :crazy:

"This sucks. Make more."

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:20 am

Um...Funi and Faulconer have had issues for the last 10+ years now. The agreement is that while Faulconer still gets royalties for the score on TV, it's property of Funimation's. There's no legal issue that would prevent it from being included on future releases. This is a non-story.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:36 am

I hope not. I, along with a lot of other people, enjoy the Faulconer score as an alternative for nostalgia reasons. I usually watch the series in Japanese, but I still like the Faulconer score to be included. Unfortunately, they've yet to put out a tri-audio release that isn't either shit or cancelled after 34 episodes.

They know how popular that score is among the Western fanbase, so I doubt they'll be omitting it except in things like the Dragon Boxes which are aimed exclusively at fans of the original version, at least for a very long time.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:59 am

Fizzer wrote:They know how popular that score is among the Western fanbase, so I doubt they'll be omitting it except in things like the Dragon Boxes which are aimed exclusively at fans of the original version, at least for a very long time.
It's not really that known amongst the Western fans, it's mostly just within the English fanbase and few from non-English countries (like Valerius Dover).
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:04 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Fizzer wrote:They know how popular that score is among the Western fanbase, so I doubt they'll be omitting it except in things like the Dragon Boxes which are aimed exclusively at fans of the original version, at least for a very long time.
It's not really that known amongst the Western fans, it's mostly just within the English fanbase and few from non-English countries (like Valerius Dover).
What do you think the Western fanbase is? :|
Cold World (Fanfic)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:24 pm

Europe and US. France has a large fanbase of Dragon Ball and Japan Expo always takes place in France over the rest of Europe.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:26 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Europe and US. France has a large fanbase of Dragon Ball and Japan Expo always takes place in France over the rest of Europe.
Europe isn't in the West...
Cold World (Fanfic)

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:28 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:Europe and US. France has a large fanbase of Dragon Ball and Japan Expo always takes place in France over the rest of Europe.
I'm sorry, what?

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:35 pm

I hope they don't. The Faulconer score is terrible.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:35 pm

rereboy wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:
I'm sorry, what?
Most of Europe is in the Eastern Hemisphere
Cold World (Fanfic)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:45 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Most of Europe is in the Eastern Hemisphere
Yeah, but "eastern" vs "western" civilization is traditionally defined as a pretty crude "the orient" and "everything else".
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:50 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Most of Europe is in the Eastern Hemisphere
Yeah, but "eastern" vs "western" civilization is traditionally defined as a pretty crude "the orient" and "everything else".
Ah, I see.
Cold World (Fanfic)

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:56 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Most of Europe is in the Eastern Hemisphere
The term "the west" and "western world" comes from a time that predates the discovery of the "new world" and the discovery that the world was round.

That's why at the time it made complete sense to call something as The West, because without knowing the world was round, they didn't actually know that there's always something to the West and that even the East is to the West of the West if we always follow West, got it?

That is why at the time "The West" and "The western world" become terms that related mostly to Europe and later on its colonies as an extension of european civilization.

Why do you think asians and arabs for example will refer frequently to europeans and americans as westerners? Why do you think that Aragorn screams for the "men of the west" at the end of the Return to the King of the Lord of the Rings trilogy that is based on a european medieval fantasy novel?

You can say that most of Europe is located mostly on the what is modernly called the Eastern Hemisphere of the globe simply by geographic convention, but to say that Europe isn't in the west or is not the west or something like that is to completely disregard the historical meaning of the term. In fact, the historical meaning is the most relevant one because, like I said, the world being round, West and East are just relative terms.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:20 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Not a lot of people know this, but I'm actually Swedish-American. Born in Sweden, grew up in the US (Fairfax County, Virginia) and am now living in Sweden again. So, I'm sort of 50-50. If you heard me speak, you probably wouldn't know I'm not fully American. :D In that sense, I would more or less count as a native speaker. Actually, I'm in the US right now for the summer.

I use R1 DVDs, however, since I didn't want to replace everything when I moved, and I'm not a big fan of R2 stuff. Same with games. As for how I get them over here? I have my ways.

Either way, I went with the US score to heighten the contrast when I see the original. Makes things more interesting in my opinion.
Last edited by Valerius Dover on Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"This sucks. Make more."

hulkty
Banned

Post by hulkty » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:21 pm

I think they should include every soundtrack and every type of dub and put them all in one set, then you can adjust which one of each you can view.
For example:
Jap voice w/ Faulconer track
Green dub w/Falconer track or Jap track
ETC ETC ETC

Also, include a brand new soundtrack. Maybe Jap Rock Pop or whatever its called. (The rock music like in Bleach, Naruto, etc.)

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:22 pm

I doubt it considering the target audience for most of their releases. And I also hope not as I'm a huge fan of that score. The way I see it is most people either watch the English dub with the dub score or in full Japanese. The English dub doesn't fit as well with Kikuchi so as long as future releases contain the dub they'll most likely also contain the Jonson/Faulconer score too. The only way they'd ditch it completely would be if they did a complete re-dub with a script closer to the Japanese version and made that the standard version for all future releases like how the Remastered Funi dub has replaced the Original Funi dub now.

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:02 pm

God I hope not! The Faulconer score just holds a special place in my heart, and I'm sure nostalgia has a big part in it, I just love it, especially in the Frieza and early Android Saga. And in all honesty, I just can't listen to the original FUNi dub with the original soundtrack.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.