This scene made me cry?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

This scene made me cry?

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:41 am

Not to get inside my emotions and tcry but this one scene in DB episode 33. It just made me teary eyed for some reason. Goku fruit got stolen by a monkey and Goku chased after her. He stops after seeing it was to provide for her kid. It was a short pause but it felt like it was an entire episode length. Goku just stared at them and said "Oh never mind then".

I highly doubt it meant anything but a nice little scene. N But I felt bad for Goku. He never never ever got to experience that with his own family (Going by minus) and Grandpa died. Idk why it made me sad. Goku seemed so confused but understand why the mommy did it. Idk who wrote that or if it's in the manga but bravo to whoever did :clap: . I hope you sneeze when I post this.

If this was a fanfiction with Ooc moments that never happened and will never happened this would be Goku having a struggle not growing up with a family. But Goku doesn't seem to care (though he does missed Grandpa Gohan).

Overall that scene to me was very well put together.

ss4songoku
Beyond Newbie

Re: This scene made me cry?

Post by ss4songoku » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:00 am

I never cried or even came close to tearing up while watching db or dbz. I have and do while watching other tv shows and movies even other anime but not Dragon Ball.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:41 am

ss4songoku wrote:I never cried or even came close to tearing up while watching db or dbz. I have and do while watching other tv shows and movies even other anime but not Dragon Ball.
Not even when Piccolo died protecting Gohan frm Nappa?

Strange considering how impactful DBZ deaths can be. Never glorified & even when they do, its justified.

On topic, yeah. That specific episode is touching. In fact, I think had Goku received the amount of love which Goten or Trunks got frm Chichi & Bulma, Goku would've been different.

That kid really loved his Grandad. The episode when Goku cried & hugged his Grandad in Uranai baba saga breaks me into tears.

Never had Love of Parents, heck even his relationship with his Grandad was short-lived. Man, I'm gonna stop now or I'll burst into tears...

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:23 am

I've never cried while watching DB, but I have welled up twice. The first time is Goku's reunion with his grandpa. The second is the moment after Goku loses the 22nd Budokai and the first person to greet him after his match is his best friend.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:40 am

I remember the scene you're talking about, actually. :)
It takes a LOT to even get me close to welling up in anything, though. I have actually never cried at all since I was an infant, and never involving anything fictional. That's what autism does to you, I guess. However, I can appreciate sad and heartwarming moments like the one mentioned above.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:05 am

I never cried watching any show. Tearing up?! yeah a lot of times.

When it comes to Dragon Ball:

- Goku meets his grandpa again in Baba's palace
- Bardock, Roshi and Piccolo death
- Vegeta asking Goku to Kill Freeza and Goku bury him.
- Saiyan arc fillers: Robot guy death. Gohan's dinnousar getting eaten by the Trex. Gohan comes back home just to watch his mom and then returns to Piccolo side.
- Pan's showing the beach photo to Golden Oozaru
- Goku's farewell in GT
- Gt ending. Saddest moment in my childhood.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:06 am

Like ABED said, I've never actually cried over something in Dragon Ball, but there is a fair few moments that hit me right in 'the feels' as it were. Goku coming back to see everyone for the first time in seven years, especially Goten's reaction to him; the ending of DBZ; and the ending of GT all get me feeling pretty misty.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:11 am

I think I've only cried once, when I saw the GT ending as a child. But I've come close plenty of times. Only GT made me cry and not many manga/anime can make me tear up as much as Dragon Ball.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:19 am

Doctor. wrote:I think I've only cried once, when I saw the GT ending as a child.

Same here. IIRC, I was in 8th grade when I first saw the ending to GT, and I welled up.

There may have also been a tear or two. :wink:
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:32 am

I've teared up a few times at

- Bora's death
- Goku reunites with Grandpa Gohan
- Goku returns from Other World in the Buu Saga
- Vegeta's Final Atonement against Buu
- Goku goes back to Other World
- GT's ending

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:56 pm

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s0pfs36V4hM

This is the English version which doesn't capture the sane feeling but go to 1:10. That's where scene start. Shit got me tearing up

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:37 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s0pfs36V4hM

This is the English version which doesn't capture the sane feeling but go to 1:10. That's where scene start. Shit got me tearing up
I never thought much of this scene, to be honest. Now I know why. So, the original was a heartwarming moment?

"This sucks. Make more."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:45 pm

I never cried while watching Dragon Ball, but Digimon? These two little fellas and their friendship made it happen.

I think it was Devimon who killed both of them if I still remember correctly and I absolutely loathe Devimon for this.

Digimon Adventure 01 is coming out on Blu-ray in 2015 so I hope that an English (UK/AU -- New Video owns the rights in US unfortunately) distributor gets the rights to it, features English professional subtitles (with/out English dub) and releases it.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:46 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:

I never thought much of this scene, to be honest. Now I know why. So, the original was a heartwarming moment?
The original had Goku make some little noise and most likely better acted helped it out. When you get s chance you should watch it. It's like Goku understand it was for her family. It just felt bad because acting and overall tone of the scene and episode was this monkey family. But this monkey boy doesn't have any. It more emotional after you watch Z too. I kinda feel bad for Goku.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:26 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote:

The original had Goku make some little noise and most likely better acted helped it out. When you get s chance you should watch it. It's like Goku understand it was for her family. It just felt bad because acting and overall tone of the scene and episode was this monkey family. But this monkey boy doesn't have any. It more emotional after you watch Z too. I kinda feel bad for Goku.
It really does seem like even Kid Goku is a very different character in the English dub, actually. Like I said, I'll get around to seeing the original at some point. Just have to finish the dub and see Kai first.

"This sucks. Make more."

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:38 pm

Never cried watching anime... closest I came to crying watching anything was the series finale of The Office.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:36 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:I never cried while watching Dragon Ball, but Digimon? These two little fellas and their friendship made it happen.

I think it was Devimon who killed both of them if I still remember correctly and I absolutely loathe Devimon for this.

Digimon Adventure 01 is coming out on Blu-ray in 2015 so I hope that an English (UK/AU -- New Video owns the rights in US unfortunately) distributor gets the rights to it, features English professional subtitles (with/out English dub) and releases it.
Sadly no, It was Myotismon who killed them. I was sad over it, but didnt cry.

Many scenes in DB touched my heart, but never in the level Digimon and other anime did.

I love the ending of Digimon Tamers especially when it plays the song Primary Colors.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:42 pm

I have welled up at Piccolo sacrificing himself for Gohan, Vegeta's dying speech and plea to Goku on Namek, and full on cried at GT's ending.

I cry at everything. I'm surprised there are not more instances!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:34 am

DarkPrince_92 wrote:Never cried watching anime... closest I came to crying watching anything was the series finale of The Office.
That was a beautiful finale, my favorite line was Andy's "Wish someone told you're in the good 'ol days when you're in them."

I don't cry, but I do well up. The only time I've cried is at Marley and Me.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:00 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:I never cried watching any show. Tearing up?! yeah a lot of times.

When it comes to Dragon Ball:

- Goku meets his grandpa again in Baba's palace
- Bardock, Roshi and Piccolo death
- Vegeta asking Goku to Kill Freeza and Goku bury him.
- Saiyan arc fillers: Robot guy death. Gohan's dinnousar getting eaten by the Trex. Gohan comes back home just to watch his mom and then returns to Piccolo side.
- Pan's showing the beach photo to Golden Oozaru
- Goku's farewell in GT
- Gt ending. Saddest moment in my childhood
DRAGON BALL GT GUERREIRO!

For the two times I saw that episode on TV, first when I was a kid I cired so hard and and the latest run on Sic K I could sense a tear falling down. Watching Dragon Ball on TV does something to me.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr