Post your Battle of Gods Theatre Experience

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DongHyun
Beyond Newbie

Re: Post your Battle of Gods Theatre Experience

Post by DongHyun » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:42 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWvebZhFWP8

DragonBall Z Battle of the Gods Funny Theater Experience Before Movie.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:37 pm

I arrived late, but I didn't really have an experience beyond myself. The crowd laughed and seemed to enjoy the movie, but that's all. I really enjoyed the dub from what I saw. I kinda think Sean emulated Masako a little...if not he at least made me feel that heart warming feeling Masako always brought to the role. I never really felt that before this movie. I really grew to the voices and love how the boys don't sound nasally and gruff anymore. I grew to like Beerus' voice and nothing really bothered me besides some talking during the SSJ God ritual.

It was pretty cool going to see the movie in my Go Kanji hat, and Kaio/Turtle Kanji shirt. I couldn't find people to talk with, but going to the theater was great. The only way I would have really enjoyed myself was if it aired at an anime convention, that was where the people were best for me.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:11 pm

Well, my theater plans have been moderately ruined. I originally planned to see the movie tonight at my local theater (as it's the only time my schedule allowed for this week), because it was announced for all 4 days when it first popped up. I guess sometime over the wait though, they decided the Ninja Turtles would be too big of a draw and cut the last two days off the schedule. So I turned to another, not as close but still close enough, theater to get my Battle of Gods fix.

Sadly, they aren't playing it again till Monday the 11th. So, maybe I'll have the theater to myself by then...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:15 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Well, my theater plans have been moderately ruined. I originally planned to see the movie tonight at my local theater (as it's the only time my schedule allowed for this week), because it was announced for all 4 days when it first popped up. I guess sometime over the wait though, they decided the Ninja Turtles would be too big of a draw and cut the last two days off the schedule. So I turned to another, not as close but still close enough, theater to get my Battle of Gods fix.

Sadly, they aren't playing it again till Monday the 11th. So, maybe I'll have the theater to myself by then...
Same, except I don't have anywhere to see it next week. Alas, woe is me. Guess I'm stuck until it gets released.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:25 pm

I double checked on the theater I could potentially get to, but no luck - the only showings they've got are still for the next two days, which both I and my girlfriend have to work. They also had one yesterday I believe, but she had to work that one, and I wouldn't have felt right going to see it alone. So just as predicted, I'm stuck waiting for a home release too.

Now about that home release date, FUNi...*beats the dead horse some more*
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:28 pm

Just got back. Since it was on Thursday, my brother went with me and dad.

I have to say... I loved it. The theater was packed, they weren't obnoxious, and the movie was excellent. I've heard on many other forums that it "sucks", and I always had an assumption that they were hardcore dubbies who thought Broli was the best thing ever (and they indeed praised the Broli films), and after seeing the film, I think I was right. It was the perfect amount of comedy, good feelings and surprisingly good action (with some decent cuts of animation). The very essence of a feel good movie. Probably my favorite, or one of my favorite Dragon Ball films at least. I enjoyed the dub, but I agree that Kaio's voice is overbearing. It's grating here (more than it ever was in Kai, where I just didn't like it), and I couldn't understand half of what he was saying. I loved Goten and Trunks' performances, and I'm glad I only knew a few key things because there were lots of surprises in the movie for me.

My only problem was the audio was too loud for me. My brother and dad said it was okay for them, but I think I have extra sensitive hearing, and my ears are a bit sore still. That was only minor in the grand scheme of things, and this was a wonderful event. I hope FUNimation brings over the next movie in 2016.

Also, a Blu-ray menu also showed up before the film at my theater, and everyone started laughing and clapping. Also saw lots of Goku shirts, and on the way out I heard someone say "I think Goku's turning evil in the next one". :lol:

This was a great time, and it's going to become one of my most cherished memories.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

pappy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pappy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:53 pm

Went and saw this tonight at the Santikos Silverado in Houston and had a great time! Sound quality seemed fine to me, however I was a little worried before the film started as, either as a joke or a genuine mistake, they pulled up the blu ray menu to How to train your dragon for about half an hour. I thought I was getting a "Rise of the Guardians of the Galaxy" experience, but they started Battle of Gods when it was time so no fiasco. The showing seemed to be sold out which was great to see on its third day in and my only nitpick of the night was having to hear an "expert" on Dragon Ball say that he hated that they changed his name from Bills to Beerus.

I had already seen this from the BD release but all in all, a fun night at the movies seeing Dragon Ball on the big screen. Hope as many of you can make it out to a theater to experience it.
I love you love Mashirito.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:16 am

I loved the movie! It was my first time seeing dbz on the big screen, I have not seen evolution but the dubbing was kai level so awsome, music was amazing and I will definitly buy it on blu-ray
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:46 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Also, a Blu-ray menu also showed up before the film at my theater, and everyone started laughing and clapping. Also saw lots of Goku shirts, and on the way out I heard someone say "I think Goku's turning evil in the next one". :lol:
Any hint about the extended cut on the menu, also what was the menu like? So a November release is imminent then, though I hope not, since I want the UK to have it first :twisted: we hardly ever have anything first!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:16 pm

My showing was at 7:30, I showed up at 6:30 just in case it would extra crowded (it really wasn't. Hardly anyone in there.) So before the movie there was some guy playing his 3DS, which was out of place tbh.

Some guys behind me heard me call Beerus by his actual name not "Bills". Then I heard the guy behind me say to his friend "they're pronouncing his name wrong!" I told them what it really was and thru were cool with it. I also overheard some abridged quotes and the typical "screaming for 8 hours" before it started.

Once it started everyone was dead-quiet except for the comedy scenes (which were hilarious).
Loved the English dub, better than the Japanese IMHO. McCoy as 18 sounds different but I'm not complaining. I liked Trunks' slight raspy voice in Z but here was fine.

I still prefer Sabat's Buu Saga Vegeta voice but he still did a great job in the movie. Also I have no problems with King Kai's English voice, probably because I prefer the dub. :)

Anyway I LOVED it. Can't wait for the DVD release

Fulicer
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fulicer » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:17 pm

The movie was even better in theaters, and the dub is at least Kai-quality, so it was great overall. I might see it again this Saturday with another friend.

It's quite a shame that a movie like this is not getting a wider release. That seems to be par for the course for anime movies in general, but this is Dragon Ball. I guess we're lucky if you consider how Marvel and DC animated movies never really hit theaters either...and those franchises are popular with all age groups.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:46 pm

Fulicer wrote:The movie was even better in theaters, and the dub is at least Kai-quality, so it was great overall. I might see it again this Saturday with another friend.

It's quite a shame that a movie like this is not getting a wider release. That seems to be par for the course for anime movies in general, but this is Dragon Ball. I guess we're lucky if you consider how Marvel and DC animated movies never really hit theaters either...and those franchises are popular with all age groups.
DC tried that with Mask of the Phantasm years ago but it didn't make money so thats why all dc's animated movies are straight to dvd
PSN SonGoku325

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:01 pm

Fulicer wrote:The movie was even better in theaters, and the dub is at least Kai-quality, so it was great overall. I might see it again this Saturday with another friend.

Marvel animated movies? I don't believe many exist. Marvel with all this money cut corners a lot. They charge $3.99 for most books and use shitty paper quality and are only 20 pages long. DC/WB for all the flack they get for their cinematic universe, give you nice glossy covers for $3.99 books with pages varying between 20-32. Not to mention the animation they put out. Turning classics like The Dark Knight Returns into a solid adaptation without any constraints at all. Anyway that's enough of my DC fanboyism.

Back to Dragonball. Has anyone recorded crowd reactions?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:07 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

Marvel animated movies? I don't believe many exist. Marvel with all this money cut corners a lot. They charge $3.99 for most books and use shitty paper quality and are only 20 pages long. DC/WB for all the flack they get for their cinematic universe, give you nice glossy covers for $3.99 books with pages varying between 20-32. Not to mention the animation they put out. Turning classics like The Dark Knight Returns into a solid adaptation without any constraints at all. Anyway that's enough of my DC fanboyism.

Back to Dragonball. Has anyone recorded crowd reactions?
Marvel has lots of animated movies. Just check next time you hit up a walmart; they'll be there.
Naruto6583 wrote: DC tried that with Mask of the Phantasm years ago but it didn't make money so thats why all dc's animated movies are straight to dvd
That's a shame too. I still maintain that that is the all-time best Batman movie.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:00 pm

That's a shame too. I still maintain that that is the all-time best Batman movie.[/quote]
Well heres to hoping they hit the big screen again one of these days battle of gods proved that an animation movie like that can make money here in the us
PSN SonGoku325

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sun-Wukong » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:38 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Marvel animated movies? I don't believe many exist.
Dude, go buy Planet Hulk and watch it right now. It's so good.

My theatrical experience was great. I was kind of disappointed that there was no poster up for the movie, but there was still a decently big crowd (bigger than when I saw Dragonball Evolution anyway), and everyone seemed to enjoy it. I had watched it a few months prior in Japanese, but in my opinion the dub was better, like Kai. I still feel odd saying that five years later, but hey, Funimation really stepped their game up and made up for past mistakes while Toei just... kind of... feels like they're along for the ride. Don't get me wrong, they're still doing a serviceable enough job, but nothing special. That's just how I feel, though.

Pretty safe to say this is my favorite Dragon Ball Z movie, easily the best on an objective level, at least as far as the story is concerned--I have a few complaints regarding poorly integrated CG, but hey, that's the industry now. My Top 5, if I had to pick, are:
  1. Battle of Gods
  2. The Sleeping Princess in Devil’s Castle
  3. Dragon Fist Explosion!! If Goku Won’t Do it, Who Will?
  4. The World’s Strongest Guy
  5. Super-Warrior Defeat!! I’m the One Who’ll Win
But I still have a lot of love for most of the movies. I'd be hard pressed to say there are any of them I don't enjoy on some level. If I had to pick a least favorite it would probably be the first Broly movie, but hey, at least it looks really pretty. Sorry I'm rambling, but finally seeing a Dragon Ball movie in theaters has me thinking about the rest of them and I figure why not post my thoughts about this new one relative to the old ones? It really is a different animal, though. Not quite apples and oranges, but different.
This will never not be my sig:
VegettoEX wrote:"Snoop Lion" is just a character he's playing for his reggae album and documentary. Him saying that it's his new name is all part of the character.

I can't believe this is on-topic.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:32 am

DC tried that with Mask of the Phantasm years ago but it didn't make money so thats why all dc's animated movies are straight to dvd
It was supposed to be a DTV, but WB changed its mind with little notice and didn't give it much advertising before its wide release. I believe it had a wider release than Battle of Gods.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:44 am

Mask of Phantasm was a great movie. DC have made quite a lot of these animated movies now. Under the Red Hood is the best one.

Marvel don't really make many, there's were never as good as DC's.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:14 pm

Bullza wrote:Mask of Phantasm was a great movie. DC have made quite a lot of these animated movies now. Under the Red Hood is the best one.

Under the Red Hood is good, but I still give the edge to Mask of the Phantasm. Conroy owns that role.

I hope FUNi releases the next film like this, though hopefully in a more convenient location.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:20 pm

ABED wrote:
Bullza wrote:Mask of Phantasm was a great movie. DC have made quite a lot of these animated movies now. Under the Red Hood is the best one.

Under the Red Hood is good, but I still give the edge to Mask of the Phantasm. Conroy owns that role.

I hope FUNi releases the next film like this, though hopefully in a more convenient location.
Not just Conroy. Mark Hamil is flawless as the Joker. I still get chills whenever I hear "my pal Sal...."
Malik_DBNA wrote: