DB30YEARS: Special DB 30th Anniversary Magazine

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

DB30YEARS: Special DB 30th Anniversary Magazine

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:54 am

Happy Dragon Ball Day! November 20, 2014 is the official 30th anniversary for Dragon Ball...!

We've been working on this for a really long time, and it's amazing to finally launch it. One of the reasons there has not been a new podcast episode in about two months is...

We've been putting together a special magazine in celebration of Dragon Ball's 30th anniversary!

It's called "DB30YEARS": it's available right now, it's available for free, and it's available in a few awesome formats:
You'll see a lot of familiar names on the contributors list, maybe some you haven't seen in a long while, and perhaps a few new ones. The articles are absolutely incredible, and we can't wait for you to dive in. There's a complete list of contributors at the beginning of the magazine, as well as on our website. The cover art comes from Kim Herbst and is also featured as a part of the art exhibit hosted by Q Pop Shop in LA. Cool story: Kim and Meri actually went to high school together and founded the school's anime club! Small world!

In terms of us Kanzenshuu staff, we've also contributed material, and 99% of it is original to this publication (though, of course, a lot will eventually make its way back to the website-proper in the near future). Not only do we have editorial pieces, but also some new original research that we've been saving up. Some of this new material includes things like:
  • Changes made from the original WSJ serialization (Gohan's age...!!!)
  • Comparison with Toriyama's one-shots and Dr. Slump (Futon ga futton da!)
  • Deep look into the numbers behind how filler came to be and what would have happened without it (we have a chart! wow!)
  • Homages in American television (The Tenka'ichi Budokai is finally complete!)
... and a ton more!

Check it out, share it with friends, share it with other fans, and let us know what you think.

www.kanzenshuu.com/features/db30years/
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: DB30YEARS: Special DB 30th Anniversary Magazine

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:00 am

That's awesome!
I can't wait to get started going through this.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:13 am

This looks awesome! :thumbup:
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:50 am

Huge props to whoever did the formatting for each page. Wonderful typography, layout and general design. Really beautiful stuff.

Congratulations! This must have taken some incredible levels of planning and execution.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:53 pm

I particularly enjoyed reading the sections regarding filler, as it nicely demonstrates just how close the anime was to catching up with the manga.
Also the behind the scenes look at the coverage of news relating to Battle of Gods. Sounds like it's an understatement to say it was a chore :P

I too would like to extend my gratitude to everyone who contributed to this project. I had dreamed of something special for this anniversary and this truly is something worthwhile!

Mr.Judge
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Judge » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:05 pm

Nicely Done. TALE OF THE ONE-SHOTS , HOW OLD IS GOHAN? , NEO-SHONEN stuff were the new and interesting tidbits for me.

I have definitely skipped major articles in the magazine so will need to get back to it.
Otsukare-sama deshita.( おつかれさまでした )*thinks* :? it's the right term here.
Last edited by Mr.Judge on Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:56 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:07 pm

I haven't read it yet, I'm just about to head home from the studio, but I'm looking forward to giving a few of these articles a read. It certainly looks the part though!
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:13 pm

Looked through it. Shockingly high-quality stuff, but I guess that's what you should expect from the site. You guys are crazy. :)
Of course, great work to everyone involved. Here's to many more years!
dbgtFO wrote: Also the behind the scenes look at the coverage of news relating to Battle of Gods. Sounds like it's an understatement to say it was a chore :P
And now they'll have go through it all over again. :lol:

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:07 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Huge props to whoever did the formatting for each page. Wonderful typography, layout and general design. Really beautiful stuff.

Congratulations! This must have taken some incredible levels of planning and execution.
Seconded. The layout and design are stellar. Every page is captivating, the typography is top notch, and the images are vivid.

Thanks for including a couple of my pictures from Animazement! Though I'm scratching my head as to why nobody contacted me ahead of time. I could have sent you higher quality versions with proper color correction. Or, you know, contributed to the magazine... Since Dragon Ball is my life.

In any case, I'm impressed on every level. And knowing how much work goes into actually hitting that "publish" button, I take my hat off to you. It's a scary but exciting feeling, and I congratulate you on your incredible accomplishment.

I noticed it's available in mobi format, so can we look forward to seeing it on the Amazon store? How about iTunes, Google Play, Nook, and Kobo?
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:15 pm

I did, actually :(. I dunno if stuff bounced, but I didn't get any rejection notices or anything. Tried a few different ways. Then at that point I was booked for page content and layouts...

(Who knows...?! Maybe we'll do another one of these ^_~)

My plan is not to charge for this, so at the moment it seems that I'm unable to actually publish it to the Amazon store (been toying around with that for a few days) - you can't set a price of $0.00 sadly. I'm looking into other outlets, but it was really a matter of just launching the darn thing first :).

Love love love that people are enjoying it. I know it's pretty dense (my own read-through on the Kindle took somewhere between 90-120 minutes... I forget... lost track of time...), so I look forward to more people really having the time to dive in and take a look at stuff.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Red Tiger

Post by Red Tiger » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:31 pm

Amazing! Thank you very much! :thumbup:

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Wow, this is far, far better than what I expected. I feel honored to be a part of an amazing project like this.

But you should've told me that the Japanese version of my article would be published, too! The writing style feels terribly blunt. :oops:

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:47 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I did, actually :(. I dunno if stuff bounced, but I didn't get any rejection notices or anything. Tried a few different ways. Then at that point I was booked for page content and layouts...
... I am dissapoint. I never received an email, tweet, or facebook message. Not sure why, but I curse the internet gods for their wicked machinations. I would have loved to contribute.

If you do another, mark me as "down."

Here's how you make a book free on Amazon. You first have to publish it as an epub on another platform, such as Google Play. Then Amazon will price match it down to $0.00. If you need help with the epub, let me know. Yours is a fixed layout, so putting it into InDesign, if it's not already, is the easiest way.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:09 pm

This was fun to go through.
Thank you very much!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:24 pm

I just finished reading it; the final version works great on my phone!

It was wonderful to be a part of this; thank you so much!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:34 pm

A bit biased in the fan sites portion. I've been hanging in this online DBZ community since 1997 and you missed out on some great sites, not too mention the sites covering the live action movie that were far more popular. Aside from only covering your friends and/or favorite users/sites, this is a very well written and designed piece of work. Great job!
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:13 pm

Lovely work. I'm about halfway through right now but I do wish someone had written more about the staff of the animated series. It seems a bit incomplete to not discuss the series' other important staff.

I'm also glad you included some Japanese writers, too. Having both their original text and translations feels very complete.

I also wish the table of contents had said who wrote what, though. Oh, well.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:59 am

Man, this should get more feedback! I guess people don't care much about the announcements section and are missing this thread.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:32 am

Man, this thing is like a love letter from you guys to the whole fandom. I think it really encapsulates everything that Kanzenshuu is about. Love how it's celebration of the series, but it's still informative at the same time.

It looks like a serious amount of effort went into this and I can see why there hasn't been a podcast for months; there's enough content in here for a whole other website. Seeing all of those name's attached to this project really put into perspective for me just how well this franchise has lasted the test of time and how many life-long followers it's gained. Also makes you realize how much Dragon Ball has squeezed into three decades. Haven't read it all yet, but I plan on doing so eventually. Visually, it's top class stuff and there's such a wide variety of articles. I did read Julian's recount of the BOG-era and, although it wasn't that long ago, I felt he really captured the hectic nature of the time and I could vividly remember and nod along with everything he wrote.

Would not mind having a print edition of this on-hand. I noticed a few hints on Twitter were being dropped, so I'll wait and see. :wink: One question I do have, if you don't mind me asking, is how long has this been in the pipeline for? Have you been planning this for a while? And when did you starting working on it?

In a decade's time, drop me an email and I'll gladly contribute to the 40th Anniversary one. :wink:

Might post again once I've read through it all. There's so much content. :shock:

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:59 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:One question I do have, if you don't mind me asking, is how long has this been in the pipeline for? Have you been planning this for a while? And when did you starting working on it?
I'm sure it was first conceived sooner, but Mike first brought it up to me and asked if I'd like to contribute early last month.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!