DB30YEARS: Special DB 30th Anniversary Magazine

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: DB30YEARS: Special DB 30th Anniversary Magazine

Post by Hujio » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:08 am

Avenged wrote:A bit biased in the fan sites portion. I've been hanging in this online DBZ community since 1997 and you missed out on some great sites, not too mention the sites covering the live action movie that were far more popular. Aside from only covering your friends and/or favorite users/sites, this is a very well written and designed piece of work. Great job!
I believe you're talking about Castor's article, right? He was solely writing from a personal perspective, not a general overall lineage of every fansite ever. I don't know why he would talk about sites he had no familiarity or affiliation with. There were thousands of sites none of us have ever visited, let alone knew existed. You can't write about what you don't know about.
JulieYBM wrote:I'm about halfway through right now but I do wish someone had written more about the staff of the animated series. It seems a bit incomplete to not discuss the series' other important staff.
You have no idea how much was on the docket when we first started working on this. I had planned on doing short segments on a bunch of anime staff members, but we were just way too busy to get it done in time. Julian had planned about twice as much as what you see actually written, as well. Real life sort of took over at some points. The movie news didn't help either. Funny enough, the final version that came out today was not the final version we had yesterday. We actually had a very late submission that got put in this morning, about an hour before we posted it (you know who you are). How Mike got it in, I have no idea...
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:20 am

Ho, I see. It's a shame, because this is such a nice little PDF that I'd love to see further issues made...which is probably more daunting a task than keeping up with Fukkatsu no F content.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:38 am

Loving this so far! I'm reading through it cover to cover with a hot cafetiere of black coffee in studio downtime between doing some early morning ADR work. I'll report back with more collected thoughts later once I've reached the end - but at this point I'd certainly echo the previous comments which call for this to be a regular publication (maybe bi-anually or quarterly?), and of course, it's something that I'd be willing to submit content to as well if the opportunity were extended to the wider community.

But yeah, I can't say it enough, but well done to all involved!
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:32 am

I loved this! It was almost like a podcast with visitors, just reading :)

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:43 am

Wow Looking forward to this!

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:56 am

Awesome! But why, for the love of Kami, do you call mobi "an e-reader compatible version"? The proper e-reader compatible version is the open format ie. epub and not this closed-sourced (and only later reverse engineered) Amazon's abomination - mobi.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:36 am

@Meri:
And thanks to modern-day “fan- subbers,” they think the Battle of Gods antagonist is named “Bills.”
I beg to differ... Maybe one fansubbing team did this, but I know a couple who didn't. And what I've actually read as of late, is that Toei themselves
are using the spelling "Bills" in until now most European dubs...

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:56 am

I've been flipping through this a little bit since yesterday, but for some reason the PDF version kept on wanting to crash on my laptop. Got the third option on my tablet now though, where it seems to be working much less temperamentally, so I'll be reading through it a lot more at work today. Major thanks to everyone who worked on this thing, I can already tell it's gonna be way too much fun to read. Oh, and ditto on the 'can there be a print version' option. I'd buy one, as would many others I'm sure.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:54 am

sangofe wrote:@Meri:
And thanks to modern-day “fan- subbers,” they think the Battle of Gods antagonist is named “Bills.”
I beg to differ... Maybe one fansubbing team did this, but I know a couple who didn't. And what I've actually read as of late, is that Toei themselves
are using the spelling "Bills" in until now most European dubs...
It's a storm in a tea pot. The guys at Kanzenshuu went with Beerus to preserve the dual Beer/Virus pun due to a wider contextual knowledge of the origin from interviews and tidbits that perhaps other translators didn't have access to. That's not to totally dismiss the other translation, which is still a faithful phonic translation, as it's worth pointing out that some of the proponents of 'Bills' are very respected translators working in professional capacities, such as Steve Simmons.

I personally don't think it's quite as clear cut wrong/right as the old school fansub translations, such as Turles/Taurus, I just think that the Kanzenshuu staff are particularly pro-Beerus as they're the originators and foremost champions of the translation - but that's natural, wouldn't anyone be if it was your own work?

But yeah, that's been argued to hell and back, and is for another thread.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:02 am

It's like in Digimon, where Horusmon is written out as Holsmon(Halsemon in English dub), but yeah off-topic.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:16 am

Couple responses I've got for ya's! Thanks again to everyone reading! :D :D :D

If there's a sidebar for a column, I generally wrote it myself. Exceptions are things like Julian's Jump article about 3 years old and the chocolate cigarette... since those aren't really side-columns. So yeah, in this case, the "Bills" quip was me (which probably makes more sense once you know that!). Still, I/we stand by it. I'm fairly certain that the only reason Toei's sending out scripts with "Bills" is the same reason the stupid "I" spelling of Freeza's name gets included: they do a cursory look online 'cuz they don't speak English, and derp derp that's what they see.

An ePub has been added! Honestly, it's just that I personally have a Kindle (Touch) and could only test so many things firsthand before going live with them. Someone who has something that can read it without first converting it to some other format, gimme a holler once you've tried it out. I think it's fine.

In terms of conception and timing, I started actually working on it October 6th. I had been on vacation a little bit before that and was sketching things out, and I've been kicking around the idea in my head for at least a year (looking ahead to this date and being in a panic about what to actually produce), but in terms of "actively making things happen in InDesign and contacting people," that was it. This has been my life since then. Lots of long nights. MY wife is very happy that this is over and published :P. I have a MAJOR feature for the website that I've been working on, and it would have launched by now if it weren't for this :). Back to writing that guy...

As for print... lots of people asking... we know... stay tuned...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:17 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote: I'd buy one, as would many others I'm sure.
That's an excellent idea, actually. Sell copies to pay server costs!
VegettoEX wrote:In terms of conception and timing, I started actually working on it October 6th.
Wow, then you guys have been super productive!

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:42 pm

Blade wrote:It's a storm in a tea pot. The guys at Kanzenshuu went with Beerus to preserve the dual Beer/Virus pun due to a wider contextual knowledge of the origin from interviews and tidbits that perhaps other translators didn't have access to. That's not to totally dismiss the other translation, which is still a faithful phonic translation, as it's worth pointing out that some of the proponents of 'Bills' are very respected translators working in professional capacities, such as Steve Simmons.
Steve Simmons uses "Beers", which is the romanized spelling used in official publications in Japan. He certainly does not use the name of an NFL team based in western New York State.

I also wouldn't call people who use the "Bills" spelling "proponents", so much as "following the path of least resistance". That's what other people were using, so they just went with that. They've never specifically argued its own merits, because it doesn't really have any (apart from being used by other people who are also just going with what the people around them use).

The main difference between now and the VHS fansub era is that the Internet (and social media in particular) provides an "echo chamber" for information about new productions — both reliable and not so much — to gain traction within international fandoms long before there is an official version in their language of choice. The people who produce the localized versions are also aware of these online fandoms now, and are liable to be influenced by whatever's already out there if they don't take the time and effort to educate themselves. It's hard to entirely fault them for that; they're on a limited timeframe and budget, after all, and under those circumstances, it's easiest to go with what you see. The information itself wasn't exactly easy to come by, either: even we had to piece together Beerus's name pun from scattered references by both the scriptwriter and the series creator in multiple periodical publications that were available for short periods of time on Japanese newsstands during the first few months of 2013. But having that knowledge, we would be actively shirking our mission if we didn't try to spread it to more people. That's why we can seem to get so up in arms about it sometimes.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Chronic_mcduffin

Post by Chronic_mcduffin » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:51 pm

Thanks, guys. This is something special. The variety of articles in this is amazing. Or should I say Animazing? (No, I really shouldn't.)
I might be new to the forum, but I'm not new to the site. I was introduced to the site with the podcast episode, where Mike and Meri reminisced about the VHS fansub days. It's been a ride, and I'm looking forward to the future of Dragon Ball and the site.

I'm also glad to see Daryl Surat involved as I'm a fan of AnimeWordOrder. Funny as always, Daryl. :thumbup:
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:35 pm

You can see all the hard work and care that went into making this remarkable thing! It's so great, and a fitting tribute! Thank you so much, I'll be reading it for days :clap:

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:55 pm

VegettoEX wrote:In terms of conception and timing, I started actually working on it October 6th. I had been on vacation a little bit before that and was sketching things out, and I've been kicking around the idea in my head for at least a year (looking ahead to this date and being in a panic about what to actually produce), but in terms of "actively making things happen in InDesign and contacting people," that was it. This has been my life since then. Lots of long nights. MY wife is very happy that this is over and published :P. I have a MAJOR feature for the website that I've been working on, and it would have launched by now if it weren't for this :). Back to writing that guy...
Oh...wow. :shock: Only October 6th? You guys are machines. I was thinking that you started way back in like, June, and work only intensified recently. That's quite impressive. I can only imagine how stressful things must've been at some points.

And after all this, I hate to ask, but will we be seeing a character breakdown of Freeza on the podcast in the coming months? (Complete with Ryusei Nakao voice-clips) You know you want to... :shifty: :wink:

ChahikoDBZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ChahikoDBZ » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:02 pm

This is so nice to see. For a bit I was like "Kanzenshuu why no podcast or news updates quicker???" Now I got my answer. I'll definitely read through all of this and if there's a print version in the future I'll pick it up. From what I've looked at so far in the magazine everything is so interesting. Thanks! :D
(Fanfiction link coming soon.)

destro4thewin

Post by destro4thewin » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:15 am

What an awful e-book and what a bad idea.I never read something as bad as this one!!!!!!!I hate it!!!

Owww.........(Yeah just kidding)

Hello there Kanzenshuu and forum members.
I am a Toriyama fan from Greece.
Once I saw that e-book I rushed to print it and turned it into an actual book for my collection!!!
Long time listener of the podcast(daizenshuu days) however this is only the second time I actually leave a comment(and I don't know why!!!).I started listening to your podcast while I was riding my bike to work......Many years have passed but still I try to find sometime to ride my bike and listen some of your podcasts. I even once made a marathon on the "Manga review of awesomeness". I never get bored listening to your work and I visit your site at least twice a day to get my db news!!!
Keep up the awesome work!!

Thank you Kanzenshuu!!!

(Sorry if the comment is hard to read.My English aren't the best)
Last edited by destro4thewin on Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:07 am

This was just awesome. Totally worth the reading! You guys are just crazy to do this, I mean I saw the news post for it and thought "That's gotta be like 30 pages tops..." I guess it was just thrice my predictions.
Gonna just nitpick two details: 1) The text would look way better if you had it aligned (though I am aware some programs just suck at aligning and the words get too far from eachother) and 2) there's a side column (Kanzenshuu Fun Fact) during Julian's article on the BOG news covering that has the exact same font size and type as the main text and can be confused with it (despite having a title and images on the side, it is still in the top left of a page in the middle of the article and the previous page ends in the middle of a sentence so it can be confusing).
Nitpicks aside, great work guys, loved the design, the articles, the images, EVERYTHING! Keep up the good work :D
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:09 pm

Well I missed this thread!
Awesome Magazine. Already downloaded it and I will take my time to read it.
Congratulations for the hardwork. :thumbup:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.