DB30YEARS: Special DB 30th Anniversary Magazine

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: DB30YEARS: Special DB 30th Anniversary Magazine

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:04 pm

I finally managed to tear my way through this thing while at work today (definitely made a good half of my 11 hours there go by faster!), and I'll have some more full thoughts on it Monday or so (I have to work another 11 hours tomorrow, so...yeah...I'll be crashing soon enough), but I did want to point out the one and only spelling error I caught during my read. It's on page 31, in the section about the various versions of Bardock.
Toriyama's (New) Bardock

Several of the same characteristics are there - namely killilng indiginous creatures without much regard and being wary of Freeza's ulteriour motives - but Toriyama's own recent take on Bardock is anything but familiar.
There's a stray l in 'killing' there; and based on spell-check, 'indiginous' should be 'indigenous', but I don't know for sure on that one.

Hope this doesn't come off like complaining or nitpicking, because I mean it far from it - this is still a beyond amazingly well put together work, but I got the feeling that a print version might very well be happening eventually based on Mike's response, so I figured this sort of thing would be something he and the rest of the staff would want noted.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:45 am

I just wanted to drop in and say that I would actually buy a physical copy of this book! And this is coming from a person who's been cutting down significantly on buying psychical copies of books and only purchasing the kindle or PDF versions of them.

I flipped through it some more today and I really enjoyed it! It's one of those rare times I wish I had it in my hands to flip through the paper instead of on a tablet.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:37 pm

Free? Screw that.

I'm probably going to throw some of my upcoming paycheck into the "donate" page before I download/read any of it. Something like this deserves to be paid for.

What a fantastic idea for an anniversary celebration!
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

MajinAsura

Post by MajinAsura » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:21 pm

I can't even! Just wow!
My pet peeves:
People who spell Broly "Brolli"
People who call Beerus "Bills"
People who think that super Saiyan 4 Gogeta is coming back for Fukkatsu no F
People who think Broly can kill ssj3 Goku
People who hate Gohan in the Buu Saga
People who think Broly could kill FREAKIN' BEERUS

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:27 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I finally managed to tear my way through this thing while at work today (definitely made a good half of my 11 hours there go by faster!), and I'll have some more full thoughts on it Monday or so (I have to work another 11 hours tomorrow, so...yeah...I'll be crashing soon enough), but I did want to point out the one and only spelling error I caught during my read. It's on page 31, in the section about the various versions of Bardock.
Toriyama's (New) Bardock

Several of the same characteristics are there - namely killilng indiginous creatures without much regard and being wary of Freeza's ulteriour motives - but Toriyama's own recent take on Bardock is anything but familiar.
There's a stray l in 'killing' there; and based on spell-check, 'indiginous' should be 'indigenous', but I don't know for sure on that one.
"Ulterior" is another.

We tried as best we could to eliminate any stray typos before release, but we were all working on less than a full night's sleep, so I suppose it's only inevitable.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:07 am

Downloading it right now. Can't wait to read it in the morning.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SuperSaiyanHedgehog
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanHedgehog » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:48 pm

Very good magazine, but I have a question. Why do you start it off by talking about the DB video games? Seems like that's something you would have in the middle or towards the end.
Known as Hiltonium everywhere else.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Dragon Ball Z Kai: Yamamoto Revival (Now Completed!)
----------------------------------------------------------------
YouTube//Twitter//Ask.fm//PSN: Hiltonium//Nintendo Network: BoomBomb712//3DS Friend Code: 3652-0542-0595//Skype: PM me if you're interested

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:10 pm

SuperSaiyanHedgehog wrote:Very good magazine, but I have a question. Why do you start it off by talking about the DB video games? Seems like that's something you would have in the middle or towards the end.
This is actually addressed in the current episode of the podcast! I recommend checking it out for a huge amount of insight as to how we worked.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:04 pm

This is great! Good job, guys! :thumbup:
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:37 am

I finish reading the magazine tonight and it was fantastic. Everyone on the site did a fantastic job.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ChahikoDBZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ChahikoDBZ » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:09 am

I look through it often. I really enjoyed the Bardock section of it. :clap:
(Fanfiction link coming soon.)

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:34 am

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. That's especially nice to hear coming from a fellow Floridian. :D
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:10 pm

Sorry for the necro-post, but I just finished reading this. It's quite fantastically well made.

If you haven't already, I suggest you sell it on Amazon's Kindle and upload it to Draft2Digital and/or Smashwords.

Also, the section about fansites made me feel old. :P

Second also: it's weird learning that I'm only 13 days older than Dragonball. :wtf:
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Jabberwock xeno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jabberwock xeno » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:17 pm

Was reading through this and on page 27 it says that viz had gone back on their promoise to release uncensored volumes. I thought they had been uncensored this whole time for quite a few years. What exactly is still censored?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:51 pm

Jabberwock xeno wrote:Was reading through this and on page 27 it says that viz had gone back on their promoise to release uncensored volumes. I thought they had been uncensored this whole time for quite a few years. What exactly is still censored?
A few particularly intense or explicit (relatively speaking) instances of violence or nudity. Mostly the latter.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:59 pm

Looking at the DB Fansite section, never went to any of those sites except this one pre-merger.

I started on the old "official" websites and then migrated to the now defunct db-unlimited fan site, then I found the previous incarnation of the funimation forums and then this site. I migrated over to gamefaqs but was trolled/ran off/out of that section of the website and tried goku's corner. Didn't like the community so I came back here.

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:08 pm

More than 2 months after the magazine was released, I still haven't read it. Certainly not for lack of will, but I personally can't stand reading unless it's on paper. I know the staff advised against printing it and told us to stay tuned, but... after more than 2 months, I couldn't take it anymore :P
Still, it looks pretty good, if I may say so myself. I'm still going to wait for the official print release, but for now, just for general reading, it'll do :)

Already read the first 17 pages and I'm loving it (as if I expected anything else).

I was very intrigued by the Manga Review Of Awesomeness article. I never listened to a single one in the past. I always try to shy away from other people's opinions so as to leave my own free of external influences, but the article made me curious enough to realize maybe it's time for me to at least check it out.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:46 pm

Thats the spirit, jrdemr!
When I saw what he did, I advised him to post that here so you guys could know. Only hardcore fans would go this far. :thumbup:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:58 pm

I'm awfully late but great job on the magazine! Reeks of professionalism and sharp design. :clap:
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

CappuccinoXNyanPasu
Location: Somewhere in New England (Between N.Y, M.A, and R.I)

Post by CappuccinoXNyanPasu » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:21 pm

I remember when I first watched this series as a kid. :lol: My uncle was playing video games of it and I was curious. That was when I was only about 7 years old...it's been years now since I've first watched this series. Been 30 years a few months ago and I know I'm late, but it's still nostalgia. :thumbup:
"When their quest began, they were just children; but they soon grew into heroes. When the world needed saving, eight kids answered the call. One ball, that's how it all began."
~ Master Roshi