Language Survey 2014 [COMPLETE]

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Language Survey 2014 [COMPLETE]

Post by Ajay » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:20 pm

Since we're coming to the end of the year, I thought it'd be interesting to find out which language the general userbase of this forum watches the show in. While the site is focused on the Japanese side of things, it's often theorised that there's been a much bigger shift towards the dub from the user end of things. I'm interested to see just how true that is!

I understand a lot of us dip between various dubs but please do post the one you consider your main. It should be the voices that come to your head the moment someone says 'Dragon Ball'.

If you could post ONLY the primary language you watch the show in below then that would be great!

I'll be updating this up until the end of December (or if and when the thread happens to die out).

I know a Strawpoll link would be easier but I want to make sure only those with accounts on this forum vote.
--

RESULTS SO FAR
(Updated: 21/12/2014 01:11 GMT)

Japanese - 61
(57 not incl. staff votes)
English (FUNi Z) - 17
English (FUNi Kai) - 8
English (Ocean/Westwood) - 3
Portuguese - 3
German - 1
Spanish (Castilian) - 1
Spanish (Mexican) - 2
French (Kai) - 1
Korean (Tooniverse) - 2

Last user vote counted: Thouser

--
03/01/2015
THAT'S ALL, FOLKS!
Last edited by Ajay on Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:00 am, edited 31 times in total.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Language Survey 2014

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:25 pm

English, Funimation Dub

The minimum character count prevents you from just listing the language.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:40 pm

Japanese. These are the characters' voices for me.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:42 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:The minimum character count prevents you from just listing the language.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. By all means, talk amongst yourselves, I was just trying to prevent lists of preferences rather than the information I need only.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:47 pm

Ye olden original audio. It's hard to watch a show when you're just watching a dub of it, after all.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:55 pm

Manga will always come first, but original Japanese for me. :)
Last edited by CashmanX on Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:59 pm

I watch the anime in Japanese. I'm actually pretty curious about the results of this survey. I've been wondering about the general preference of the forum for awhile now.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:01 pm

I watch it in Japanese.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:05 pm

English, FUNimation dub.
JulieYBM wrote:Ye olden original audio. It's hard to watch a show when you're just watching a dub of it, after all.
It's the opposite for me, I find it hard to enjoy anything that isn't in my natural tongue.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:10 pm

Well, I'm currently watching it in English, with 16 episodes left to go in the Z portion. The following applies to the franchise as a whole, not just Z, I should specify.

My primary version as of now would be the Funimation Dub, specifically the one on the Blue and Orange Season Sets, and Green later down the line. I wouldn't really count on it changing down the line, though. Even after seeing the Studo Ghibli films in Japanese, I still more or less "main" the English versions. I'm guessing it'll be that way for any uncut anime dub for me.

Being in my primary language probably has something to with it.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:13 pm

The Japanese version.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:20 pm

Portuguese parody dub here.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:47 pm

The original Japanese audio.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:48 pm

There are two answers for me: which voices do I hear as characters' voices? Japanese, of course. Which version do I watch? None. I dislike anime and much prefer manga, so I don't watch it when there's a manga alternative :)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:21 pm

Sorry, I can't say only one language, but it's either Japanese of French.
AjayLikesGaming wrote:Since we're coming to the end of the year, I thought it'd be interesting to find out which language the general userbase of this forum watches the show in. While the site is focused on the Japanese side of things, it's often theorised that there's been a much bigger shift towards the dub from the user end of things. I'm interested to see just how true that is!

I understand a lot of us dip between various dubs but please do post the one you consider your main. It should be the voices that come to your head the moment someone says 'Dragon Ball'.

If you could post ONLY the primary language you watch the show in below then that would be great!

I'll be updating this up until the end of December (or if and when the thread happens to die out).

I know a Strawpoll link would be easier but I want to make sure only those with accounts on this forum vote.
--

RESULTS SO FAR
(Updated: 12/12/2014 17:13 GMT)

Japanese - 7
English (FUNi Z) - 3

--

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:33 pm

TheRed259 wrote:English, FUNimation dub.
What, you don't watch the Greek dub :D?

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:05 pm

Of course I do watch it from time to time but I think that AjayLikesGaming wanted to know which is the primary language we watch the show, the language we think the characters have the most fitting voices etc. So when I do check DBZ again, I do watch the English, FUNimation dub.
Last edited by TheRed259 on Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

ssjjanemba
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjjanemba » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:11 pm

English dub.
Hi

SSJ Electric Fury
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ Electric Fury » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:14 pm

For Z, Japanese with subs

For Kai, I like to watch it with the FUNi dub, but I more often than not watch it in Japanese (also with subs) due to usually having someone around who can't stomach the coherent coarse language
"You can't make up for your mistakes when you're dead." - Irina Akulov, Xenoblade [Chronicles] X
ringworm128 wrote: