When it all began for you

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

When it all began for you

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:24 pm

This is gonna be a simple topic but I'm sure this is a question asked by many people in regards to Dragon Ball, which is, when did you officially become a fan. I'm not talking about what got into the franchise, I'm talking about when. If possible, keep you answer short and sweet like:

Dragon Ball fan, circa 99

or

Dragon Ball fan since the age of XX or X

But if you want to elaborate more about when specifically you got into Dragon Ball, go right ahead. :thumbup:

I'll get the ball rolling.

Dragon Ball fan, circa 2000 and still going strong. :)
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Wed May 13, 2015 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Videlphia76ers
Beyond Newbie

Re: When it all began for you

Post by Videlphia76ers » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:44 pm

Like 2000. Saw it on Toonami's Midnight Run I think. First I saw I became an instant fan because violence to a 5-9 year old is automatic entertainment. Didn't realize it had actual story-writing qualities until I was about 13.
Cool dudes do cool stuff like 5 Chipotle burritos

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:47 pm

Watched it when it came on Toonami for the first time. :) but I don't think I was really really hooked until the Freeza saga.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:03 pm

I saw some adverts just before it aired in the UK in 2000 and then found my older brother watching an episode of the Saiyan Arc (it had Raditz in so was an early episode), he explained the characters names to me and I was hooked. I can remember it felt like forever until new episodes came out, in the UK Cartoon Network would rerun the same arcs non-stop for months until the next arc was available.

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:12 pm

In '97 with the first DB series.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:51 pm

Late 2012, friend bugged me to watch DBZ, loved it.
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:53 pm

I first saw DB somewhere between 91-93. I can't remember exactly when, but I lived in Japan and caught a glimpse of it. Plus my friend had a DBZ game for Super Nintendo. Technically it was Super Famicon, but you can play Famicon games on the SNES. However, I didn't really become a fan until September 13, 1996 (i.e., the day it first aired on American TV)
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:06 pm

On september 9th 2001, when we were about to head to a restaurant to celebrate my mom's birthday, I turned on the tv, while waiting for the others to get ready and the 3rd episode of the Danish dub of DBZ was showing.
I was hooked. 8)

Tatakae!!Ramenman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatakae!!Ramenman » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:07 pm

2003. I was six years old and got the first Budokai game for the Game cube.
Neo died for our smiths.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:33 pm

I'm wanting to say 98-99. Whenever they were first airing the Ocean Dub on Toonami. My first episode was the beginning of the Goku-Vegeta fight, so whenever that episode first aired.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:39 pm

I wanna say 2002-2003-ish, via a video game I played with my cousins.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:46 pm

Honestly I was a fan from the first episode I saw on Cartoon Network in 2000 which had Piccolo vs Imperfect Cell (specifically Piccolo getting his arm absorbed). Was the coolest shit I'de ever seen without a doubt.

I remember buying a Goku toy a day or two later and I hadn't even seen him fight yet. I jumped on that bandwagon without a second thought which was the same for a lot of anime I got into back then. I'm far more cynical nowadays than I was as a kid.
Last edited by NitroEX on Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:48 pm

Low Tone G wrote:In '97 with the first DB series.
Same here. I remember getting a VHS tape of the original first three episodes from my dad and I had no idea what it was. I didn't became a fan until early 2001. I got DBZ into much later then most people did. When I was growing up, most people became DBZ fans long before it aired in the US due to DBZ's popularity on the imported market or became fans when DBZ first aired on TV back in 1996. For a while, I was scared to tell fans that I just became a fan a few years ago. Now it been 13 years since I've became a DBZ fan and I follow DBZ on the web since then. I did grew up watching the series on bootlegs since I knew ways to watch them early on in Japanese. It's a shame that old school DBZ fans are rare these days.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:08 pm

I was a fan since I saw the first episode of DB in Canal 9 (valencian dub) either on 89 or 90. I can't remember which year it was aired exactly but it was around that time

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:22 pm

In 1995/96 with DB.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:11 pm

I'm gonna guess some time between 1997-99.
When I was younger my family would go to Korea every year during summer and we would crash at random relatives' homes during that time. One of my cousins, who back then I thought was the coolest guy in the universe, happened to be a fan of Dragon Ball Z during that time and he would rent Dragon Ball Z VHS tapes from his local video store. So I would watch it along with him during that time whenever I got the chance.
One of my first memories was actually watching the Freeza arc with him. It was the scene where Piccolo was rushing towards Freeza and the rest and when Freeza was undergoing his first transformation. I remember back then thinking that Vegeta and Piccolo were teachers and that Freeza, Gohan, and Kururin were their students. For some reason I believed that Freeza was infected with some disease that transformed him into a giant monster and that Vegeta was spazzing out because he didn't know what to do and that he was waiting for Piccolo to come in and help him. Oh yeah I also remember always getting Yamcha and Goku confused too.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:12 pm

About 2000, I think, I saw the FUNi redub of Boss Rabbit's Magic Touch. I was hooked on the original series from there on. It took me until the later part of the Buu arc to get really into Z, though.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:14 pm

Around 98 and 99 I guess which was when Dragon Ball first aired after Sailor Moon dominated the anime scene here years before.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:19 pm

Saw an ad for one of The Legacy of Goku games in one of the Nintendo Power Advance magazines way back in 2002 and thought it looked stupid. Hey, I was only 6, and was very pacifist compared to most guys my age.

I then started doing research around Fall of 2012, having gained somewhat of an interest in anime. I started watching Dragon Ball Season 1 on the Blue Brick shortly after Christmas.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:23 pm

Around the year 2000 or so. I remember I had 1 vhs(yes only one)that was at the Goku vs Frieza fight before he went super saiyan. It always ended right before the kaioken x20 so back then I didn't know what happened and kept rewarching it. The budokai games especially the first one really got me familiarized with the story.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.