Was the dragon ball series your first anime ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheLegend23
Beyond Newbie

Was the dragon ball series your first anime ?

Post by TheLegend23 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:34 pm

Now this is moreless for the people who grew up in the states, or country's who got anime pretty late. Now dragon ball was not my first anime, infact it was my neighbor totoro. When I first saw it I didn't know what kind of cartoon it was but i fell in love with the artwork. Then I remember watching sailor moon, and thinking to myself wow this is similar to that and it looks nothing like cartoons on nickleodeon which was very dominant back in the 90's with amazing cartoons, but that feeling I got when I watched anime was nothing like watching American cartoons. Then dragon ball came into my life and a lot more animes were coming to the states, Mobile Suit Gundom, Lupen The Third, Yu yu Hakusho and plenty of others. I fell off of the whole anime and cartoons when I entered my teens, I was too interested in partying, drinking and drugs all that other nonsense and not really necessary to the point of the story but hey I'm still new here and would like for you guys to get a feel, I have grown up and do not drink nor do I do drugs. Infact it was when I quit all that I fell back in love with anime. So my question is what was your first anime ? Was it dragon ball z ? Was it sailor moon ? Let's talk :D

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Was the dragon ball series your first anime ?

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:35 pm

Well, DB was the first anime I saw, but I saw more episodes of Speed Racer before DB was brought to America.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheLegend23
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheLegend23 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:50 pm

Holy shit I totally forgot about speed racer ! That right there is a true classic !

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:51 pm

DBZ and Pokemon were the first anime I ever watched, but Inuyasha was the first anime I watched with the knowledge that these were Japanese cartoons dubbed into English.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:57 pm

I think it was either Dragon Ball Z, Pokemon or Digimon, all of which were aired in the mornings where i live during the late 90s/early 2000s. Honestly i never really got further into anime when all the fad shows started fading away circa 2005, DB is probably the only non-western animation i still regularly watch.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

TheLegend23
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheLegend23 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:02 am

Haha looking back on Pokemon I realise how bad it was! I was a big Yu Gi Oh fan too and look back on that thinking this is the worst shit ever how did I like that. But I guess it's just growing up and what was "cool" at the time ! No downing you if you like the Pokemon anime so please don't get me wrong . I love pokemon I just wish the Anime was more like the video games , kinda like what they did with origins

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:04 am

If we wanted to get technical, I was into Pokemon first (and probably Digimon, though I wasn't super into that one until later), but at the time I had no idea it was an anime. I may have had some vague knowledge of 'oh, it's from Japan, okay', but nothing really clicked per say. DBZ was definitely the first one I got into where I kind of knew what the term meant.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:06 am

No, but it was the first anime I got into.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

TheLegend23
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheLegend23 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:07 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:No, but it was the first anime I got into.

So what was the first anime you remember bro ?

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:11 am

Watched Voltron along with Robotech and Star Blazers when I was little, though mainly Voltron back then. Also shows that was on Nickelodeon/Nick Jr. way back when like Maple Town, The Adventures of the Little Koala, The Littl' Bits and others. Also the occasional Superbook and Flying House videos my parents rented or my auntie owned. Didn't realize they were anime until years later though.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:16 am

Nope, Yu-Gi-Oh! was the first anime I got into. I did watch a bit of Pokémon before that but I didn't care that much about the show. So I guess the DB series was my second or third anime series I got into.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:19 am

DB/Z was not my first anime; that goes to Sailor Moon. :3
"Tsuki ni kawatte oshioki yo!" ;3

I've never been as active in Sailor Moon fandom the way I am with DB/Z, but I'm really enjoying the mini-renaissance Sailor Moon's having right now due to the (well, now a few years in the rear-view mirror techincally, but) anniversary stuff. Even Crystal, with all the weird stuff that encompasses it, is entertaining imo (though not for the reasons Toei intended). I've really been enjoying Hulu's Sailor Moon Mondays, I finally got the manga a while back when Kodancha put it out in English, and I do plan to buy at least one anniversary item once I decide on which one.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:20 am

Super Sonic wrote: Didn't realize they were anime until years later though.
Same here. Kid me honestly thought stuff like Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon was American, i mean they aired along with western stuff and felt exactly like it thanks to the dub acting/music and all the characters resembling "white/caucasian" or whatever (especially some of the DBZ characters). Whenever i saw the Japanese language writing in the shows i just assumed it was some kind of special made-up language they used in the shows or something.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:32 am

Chuquita wrote:DB/Z was not my first anime; that goes to Sailor Moon. :3
"Tsuki ni kawatte oshioki yo!" ;3

I've never been as active in Sailor Moon fandom the way I am with DB/Z, but I'm really enjoying the mini-renaissance Sailor Moon's having right now due to the (well, now a few years in the rear-view mirror techincally, but) anniversary stuff. Even Crystal, with all the weird stuff that encompasses it, is entertaining imo (though not for the reasons Toei intended). I've really been enjoying Hulu's Sailor Moon Mondays, I finally got the manga a while back when Kodancha put it out in English, and I do plan to buy at least one anniversary item once I decide on which one.
Ha, I'm the inverse. Although I was a DBZ fan before Sailor Moon, I'm more involved with the Sailor Moon fandom.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:54 am

Digimon was probably the first that I watched seriously, although I recall watching Voltron waaaaaay back in the day. I couldn't tell you anything about it now, though, aside from "big robot punchy kicky bang bang."
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

singsing
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by singsing » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:57 am

I think it went something like Digimon -> Pokemon -> Yu-Gi-Oh -> DB for me.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:03 am

Though it's one of my favorites, Dragon Ball was by no means my first exposure to anime.

Thanks to my local Blockbuster Video and the Sci-Fi Channel's "Saturday Anime" block during the mid-to-late 90's, I already had titles like The Guyver, Project A-Ko, Macross, Sailor Moon, Galaxy Express 999, and Dominion Tank Police under my belt. I did run across the occasional episode of the FUNi/Ocean/BLT dub of Dragon Ball in syndication around late '95-'96, but I was never able to catch DBZ consistently on air until Toonami started running in 1998.

Then I fell into the rabbit hole and here I am now.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:05 am

Sailor Moon was definitely the first anime I watched, then Pokemon and then Dragon Ball. After that Digimon and many other popular series.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:12 am

TheLegend23 wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:No, but it was the first anime I got into.

So what was the first anime you remember bro ?
It was Sailor Moon, I think. Was too young to appreciate it for all it's worth and deemed it as just girly (then again, I really liked PPG growing up).... or maybe because of the horrible dub.

I'm not sure.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:13 am

Yeah, the dub was really bad for Sailor Moon, especially the first two seasons.