Anyone else think Vegeta was too easily forgiven by the end?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Re: Anyone else think Vegeta was too easily forgiven by the

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:26 am

Like Vegeta, I kinda wish Angel stayed dead since they didn't really make much of an impressive on me when they came back.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:36 am

Kid Buu wrote:Like Vegeta, I kinda wish Angel stayed dead since they didn't really make much of an impressive on me when they came back.
He never died. He went to a Hell dimension, but never died.

Wait, how did Vegeta and Angel not leave an impression on you when they came back?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:39 am

ABED wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:Like Vegeta, I kinda wish Angel stayed dead since they didn't really make much of an impressive on me when they came back.

Wait, how did Vegeta and Angel not leave an impression on you when they came back?
Whoops, meant to say positive impression. I didnt like Cell & Buu arcs Vegeta nearly as much as Saiyan & Freeza arc Vegeta, and I didn't really care much for Angel in Season 3.

EDIT: Gonna take this to PM so we don't go off-topic. vvv
Last edited by Kid Buu on Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:47 am

Kid Buu wrote:
ABED wrote:

Whoops, meant to say positive impression. I didnt like Cell & Buu arcs Vegeta nearly as much as Saiyan & Freeza arc Vegeta, and I didn't really care much for Angel in Season 3.
Interesting, care to expand? Vegeta's arc is one of the best things Toriyama ever wrote.

I enjoy season 3, it's definitely dark, but interesting. Season 4 collapses in on itself, with the exception of the final episode (David's performance in the finale is excellent), but season 5 is brilliant - Spike and Angel forever!
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:25 pm

Vegeta had never saved more people than he killed. That is fact.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:15 pm

Attitudefan wrote:Vegeta had never saved more people than he killed. That is fact.
And for those he saved, it was usually the result of him being a selfish prick rather than a protector. He never really did anything for the sake of others (with a possible exception of his family, and even the most evil people can love/feel sympathy for their families), he always did things for himself, saving people/Earth/universe were unintentional results of that.

Evidently, usefulness beats evilness by Dragon World standarts, that's why Vegeta continued to be accepted by everyone even though he has always remained evil and dangerous.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:20 pm

Evidently, usefulness beats evilness by Dragon World standarts, that's why Vegeta continued to be accepted by everyone even though he has always remained evil and dangerous.
But he wasn't useful for anyone except the villains.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:14 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:
But he wasn't useful for anyone except the villains.
Wasn't or not, according to Enma he may have been of use, which took the priority over sending the asshole to Hell. I actually meant potential usefulness rather than proven usefulness.

Lumos

Post by Lumos » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:16 pm

ABED wrote:I enjoy season 3, it's definitely dark, but interesting. Season 4 collapses in on itself, with the exception of the final episode (David's performance in the finale is excellent), but season 5 is brilliant - Spike and Angel forever!
Hear, hear (though for the record I did think season 4 had some really good individual episodes like Spin the Bottle and Soulless; for what it's worth I also think the Jasmine arc was for the most part fantastic).

On topic though, wasn't there a thread relatively recently that analysed Vegeta's characterisation after the Vegetto fusion and how he sort of seemed to have absorbed some of Goku's traits? Maybe some actual acknowledgement from Toriyama about this and how Vegeta was absolutely a changed person from that moment on would have been the right move to take?

(My apologies about comparing Vegeta with Angel BTW; evidently I got a little confused, having only seen both Buffy and Angel the once.) :shh:
The Eleventh Doctor wrote:The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things or make them unimportant.
Homer Simpson wrote:'STEALING! How could you? Why do you think I took you to see all those Police Academy movies, FOR FUN? I DIDN'T HEAR ANYONE LAUGHING, DID YOU?'

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:31 pm

Man these quote sniping posts are unbearable to read, I just scroll past them at this point.

As for Vegeta, the DBZ universe is a lot more dangerous than ours, so people are more forgiving because they have to be. You never know when the next big threat can show up, and Vegeta still joins them to fight, regardless of his reasons. They probably put some stock in that.

Plus a lot of them hate him anyway. But we only see the characters on those few days when the entire world is at stake and they have to put on their big boy pants and work together. I'm sure after everything is safe, they're free to ditch him. But even then, soldiers in the trenches together develop bonds and it's not that different.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

ImmaDeker
Banned

Post by ImmaDeker » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:26 pm

Angel's spin off was awesome, so.

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:37 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Hell, if there was any who really got off the hook in the end, it would be Piccolo. His previous incarnation committed countless crimes, but once his reincarnation joins Goku's side, he's a good guy, with all his previous bad deeds swept under the rug.
Presumably because Piccolo's bad deeds weren't as heinous as Vegeta's. Case in fact, Vegeta has more skeletons in his closet than Piccolo. It doesn't make Piccolo a saint though.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:37 am

Attitudefan wrote:Vegeta had never saved more people than he killed. That is fact.

Without Bejita revived Heaven and Hell would sees to exist.
So bejita definitely saved more human than he killed.

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:24 pm

Tien and Piccolo haven't forgiven Vegeta though.

While I do agree that Piccolo had less skeletons in his closet than Vegeta, I kind of find Piccolo to be a bit hypocritical. I mean, he was still a demon king and almost killed Goku and then successfully killed him.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:10 pm

I still find it silly Vegeta is even classified as pure or good by that SSJ God ritual. Not doing any bad for a while doesn't mean you become good. I don't think he really gives a shit about anyone beyond his own family and "Friends" if he even has any beyond Goku. He's also not really looking to do any good, and doesn't seem very remorseful. I think the only times I can count are when he says sorry to Gohan and when he revives the people since his killings. Even then that last one could be just to bring back more people..
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:37 am

dbzfan7 wrote:I still find it silly Vegeta is even classified as pure or good by that SSJ God ritual. Not doing any bad for a while doesn't mean you become good. I don't think he really gives a shit about anyone beyond his own family and "Friends" if he even has any beyond Goku. He's also not really looking to do any good, and doesn't seem very remorseful. I think the only times I can count are when he says sorry to Gohan and when he revives the people since his killings. Even then that last one could be just to bring back more people..
If he was remorseful, he'd be haunted by his actions. I see none of that
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:39 am

Attitudefan wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:I still find it silly Vegeta is even classified as pure or good by that SSJ God ritual. Not doing any bad for a while doesn't mean you become good. I don't think he really gives a shit about anyone beyond his own family and "Friends" if he even has any beyond Goku. He's also not really looking to do any good, and doesn't seem very remorseful. I think the only times I can count are when he says sorry to Gohan and when he revives the people since his killings. Even then that last one could be just to bring back more people..
That'd be pretty dark for a shonen like Dragon Ball.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:05 am

Attitudefan wrote:
Pretty much why I can't see him as being righteous or pure. He's just not a psychopath. Apparently being pure is pretty damn easy.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:00 am

I think the first important thing to consider is that a lot of what happened wasn't Vegeta's "fault" as such. I mean, obviously it was his fault to a point because it was him he did all these heinous acts, and I'm not trying to exonerate him completely, but in the greater scheme of things it wasn't his "fault". For a start, he was a member of a proud warrior race with an insatiable appetite for battle. Had he not bumped his head, Goku would've pretty much been exactly the same. The other key point was he was grew up under the evil tyrant Frieza, was forced to do his bidding, and had to experience the genocide of his entire race at a young age. Things like that would be pretty psychologically damaging to anyone, let alone a young kid.

He came to Earth and he didn't exactly do anything that was much worse than Piccolo and his "family". By the end of the Frieza Saga we did start to see Vegeta mellowing, notably when he poured his heart out on his deathbed, but in typical Vegeta fashion, his pride didn't allow him to accept this change in himself, and he continued to fight it across the Android and Cell Sagas, before seemingly settling into family life during the seven years of peace and accepting it. Goku's return reverted Vegeta back to his old ways and led to the massacre of many humans at the World Martial Arts Tournament. However, Vegeta had most definitely changed, and sacrificed himself in a failed attempt to stop Majin Buu, a massive indication of a change in him.

Was Vegeta forgiven too easily in the end? I don't think so. Obviously, in the real world, Vegeta's crimes would've led to capital punishment, but this isn't the real world. Piccolo was forgiven and accepted into the Z Fighters and he was similar to Vegeta in a sense. Goku would've forgiven Vegeta a million times for anything, again and again, because that it what Goku is like. However, it was a greater forgiveness than that. Vegeta was forgiven by the gods. He was bought back to life in the wish to bring back all the good hearted people who had died since Babidi's arrival on Earth. Is there a greater redemption than that?
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:35 am

TheZFighter wrote:I think the first important thing to consider is that a lot of what happened wasn't Vegeta's "fault" as such. I mean, obviously it was his fault to a point because it was him he did all these heinous acts, and I'm not trying to exonerate him completely, but in the greater scheme of things it wasn't his "fault". For a start, he was a member of a proud warrior race with an insatiable appetite for battle. Had he not bumped his head, Goku would've pretty much been exactly the same. The other key point was he was grew up under the evil tyrant Freeza, was forced to do his bidding, and had to experience the genocide of his entire race at a young age. Things like that would be pretty psychologically damaging to anyone, let alone a young kid.

He came to Earth and he didn't exactly do anything that was much worse than Piccolo and his "family". By the end of the Freeza Saga we did start to see Vegeta mellowing, notably when he poured his heart out on his deathbed, but in typical Vegeta fashion, his pride didn't allow him to accept this change in himself, and he continued to fight it across the Android and Cell Sagas, before seemingly settling into family life during the seven years of peace and accepting it. Goku's return reverted Vegeta back to his old ways and led to the massacre of many humans at the World Martial Arts Tournament. However, Vegeta had most definitely changed, and sacrificed himself in a failed attempt to stop Majin Buu, a massive indication of a change in him.

Was Vegeta forgiven too easily in the end? I don't think so. Obviously, in the real world, Vegeta's crimes would've led to capital punishment, but this isn't the real world. Piccolo was forgiven and accepted into the Z Fighters and he was similar to Vegeta in a sense. Goku would've forgiven Vegeta a million times for anything, again and again, because that it what Goku is like. However, it was a greater forgiveness than that. Vegeta was forgiven by the gods. He was bought back to life in the wish to bring back all the good hearted people who had died since Babidi's arrival on Earth. Is there a greater redemption than that?
I don't agree. Vegeta was portrayed as being worse than Nappa. Nappa actually suggested reviving Raditz with the Dragon Balls, Vegeta didn't even consider it. And when Nappa was hurt, he fully expected Vegeta to help him, showing us that even for a saiyan, that was an expected behavior, and yet Vegeta just killed him.

Vegeta was a bastard, even for saiyan standards.