What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by sintzu » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:12 am

Doctor. wrote: Oh, that's weird, I could be sure it was the 23rd Budokai. Guess I was wrong.
I remember something about that as well, maybe it was an anime only thing ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:40 am

Grimlock wrote:In the manga, Piccolo says that it's Goku's cells from three years ago and there's a draw of Saiyan saga's Goku, but that's impossible since they're in AGE 767, The battle with Vegeta occured in AGE 762. That would mean Cell has Goku's cells from AGE 764, when Goku arrived and showed his Super Saiyan to Trunks instead.
It's just an error with the dates. The intent is saiyan arc Goku.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:42 am

Oh, I see. There's also Cell saying he won't be completed for next twenty-four years, that makes AGE 791, but he's completed by AGE 788. Maybe another mistake. But thanks for clearing that up. :thumbup:
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:38 pm

The "I trained" excuse to get huge boosts nowadays in the series. To quote dbzfan7 this whole thing could be solved better if they put more thought on it:
To be honest if they gave more of a reason besides "I just trained" then I think people would be more accepting of all of this. Here let me try.

"How did Freeza get so strong?"
He was found by Champa, and trained by Vados to get stronger. The goal being to keep Beerus' eyes on him, so he can get the Super Dragon Balls.

"How did Trunks get Ikari or whatever?"
Trunks accompanies Goku & Vegeta with Whis. Some explanation for maybe why he can't or doesn't go blue. They spend a while together, or maybe even use the time machine/rosats to buy themselves more time.

"How did 17 get stronger?"
A mix of modifications from Bulma, or perhaps a rare energy core that increased his output or something like that.

I think something like that would help people swallow such gains as there's at least some good explanation or background beyond "I just trained." Though the last one is me struggling to come up with a lore/background reason that's better than "I trained."
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:58 pm

The last post in this thread was about four months ago. Please take notice of these things and keep that kind of information in mind when responding to otherwise dormant conversations. If you have nothing substantial to add of your own, and it's been quite some time since the last post, we may all be best off leaving well enough alone.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:03 pm

VegettoEX wrote:The last post in this thread was about four months ago. Please take notice of these things and keep that kind of information in mind when responding to otherwise dormant conversations. If you have nothing substantial to add of your own, and it's been quite some time since the last post, we may all be best off leaving well enough alone.
This beautiful thread is meant to exist and be updated for all eternity. D'=
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:17 pm

I hate mini modding but instead of just saying that I'd add more content to my posts to ensue the threads survival. You know?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:29 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:The last post in this thread was about four months ago. Please take notice of these things and keep that kind of information in mind when responding to otherwise dormant conversations. If you have nothing substantial to add of your own, and it's been quite some time since the last post, we may all be best off leaving well enough alone.
This beautiful thread is meant to exist and be updated for all eternity. D'=
Modern DB is still on-going so I'd assume starting this topic back up would be better than starting a new one.

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:44 pm

I don't want to be one of those fans that are going crazy over the random power boosts characters are getting, but Krillin, 17, and whom ever else standing up to, or going toe to toe with a SSJB is annoying.

I want the side characters to be less... well, side characters, and be more on par with Goku, but it needs to be written better. Even if it is a lame excuse of a power up, it'd be better than "now i'm suddenly on your level".

Instead of making the Tournament of Power a 48 hours till deadline, why not give the characters a week, then have Whis teleport everyone onto his planet and training 'em inside his Spirit of Time like staff?

Then have all the BS power ups you want, because at least then it will be a "well, they did train with Whis in a crunch time situation!". So simple. Instead we have 17 possibly being stronger than Buu when he was trashing SSJ3 Goku.

Other than that; art style :P. Hair highlights, rounded checks, big eyes, small hair. Nope. Give me Dead Zone style art.

And because this post is so negative, I want to add that DBS has animation at times that blows away anything DB/Z dreamed of having. Goku vs. Krillin for example.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:19 pm

AloversGaming wrote:I don't want to be one of those fans that are going crazy over the random power boosts characters are getting, but Krillin, 17, and whom ever else standing up to, or going toe to toe with a SSJB is annoying.

I want the side characters to be less... well, side characters, and be more on par with Goku, but it needs to be written better. Even if it is a lame excuse of a power up, it'd be better than "now i'm suddenly on your level".
Krillin isn't on par with Goku. Him having the guts to face Super Saiyan Blue is a great character moment, though.

With you there on art style, though. I think Yamamuro being the character designer is probably the most lame thing about the modern state of the franchise to me. Maeda was the best:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:58 pm

Zephyr wrote:Krillin isn't on par with Goku. Him having the guts to face Super Saiyan Blue is a great character moment, though.
Indeed. I loved that moment. Goku knew that he could easily blow away Krillin just in his base form alone. But that's not what he was looking to achieve. He wanted to test Krillin nerve and bravery in a dynamic scenario that Krillin has never been in before: going toe-to-toe with a person who can wield otherworldly ki. And although Krillin was initially nervous, he didn't back down at all. And even showed the sheer willpower and determination to fight back. It was such an awesome moment for the Krillin's character. Especially consider how much the show built up to that moment. But that great character moment got lost in the sea of countless battle power debates, because power levels are the most important thing. C'est la vie.

King-K9
Not-So-Newbie

Post by King-K9 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:44 pm

Dragon ball minus
Ressurection F
Dragon ball Super
and the dragon ball community in general nowadays.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:01 pm

I'm enjoying Dragon Ball Super so far, I like they giving opportunities for other characters to shine, but I think they could be more consistent with power levels, but still good though
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:58 pm

Super is pretty lame.
Zephyr wrote: I think Yamamuro being the character designer is probably the most lame thing about the modern state of the franchise to me. Maeda was the best:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I really like Maeda, but I hated how drew Vegeta, I don't know why, I just don't like it.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:27 pm

I would say the 'prodigy' Saiyan girl Caulifla, but I have a better one:

Poor treatment of Goten and Trunks after the Boo arc. Even the 2008 JUMP Special focused on them.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:08 pm

Noah wrote:I would say the 'prodigy' Saiyan girl Caulifla, but I have a better one:

Poor treatment of Goten and Trunks after the Boo arc. Even the 2008 JUMP Special focused on them.
Out of Trunks, Cabba, and Future Trunks, Regular Trunks is the worst of Vegeta's sons.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:02 pm

Noah wrote:I would say the 'prodigy' Saiyan girl Caulifla, but I have a better one:

Absolutely both of these. Caulifla is borderline Mary Sue at this point with her inevitable SSJ3 transformation.

And yeah, I know Trunks and (especially) Goten aren't popular, but I feel they should at least age them up properly.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:23 pm

I don't know that I could call Goten unpopular. He's not Vegeta, no, but it's not like he's actively disliked or something.

The best way to make a character popular is to use them. I bet if the series did something that focused on the boys as individuals and not fusion fodder, they would find more fans.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:24 am

For me, all the hate that's spawned is the lamest thing. It's deserved, but wayyyyyyyyy overblown. Its strange plot points and plot conveniences are worse than the original show but not by much from my viewpoint anyway

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:56 am

Vegeta having a little brother.
Bardock being the "original" Ssj.
Minus.

The way SsjG is reached.
Beerus being the one to tell Freeza to destroy planet Vegeta.
Pilaf's gang being turned back into kids and brought back into the story.
The new Ssj forms being recolors of the original.
The alternate Saiayns and Frost.
Trunks in the anime's arc.

Buu falling a sleep not once, not twice but THREE times.
Krillin and #17 being able to fight a Blue Goku.
The new characters from the other universes lacking anything interesting and being copies of each others personality.
The below average fights in the current tournament.
Ribbion and the Saiyan girls being the most annoying things in anime.
Cauliflower raching not one, not two but THREE Ssj forms in like 2 days.
Ribbon for some reason still in the ring even though she's fought the likes of Goku and Vegeta.
A female Broly.