What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SmugStick
Patreon Supporter

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by SmugStick » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:56 pm

Everyone becoming SSJ3 in Heroes is really lame. Especially since it was a thing that Goku created... I was fine with Gotenks, but when Trunks did it I lost it.
My immortal Phoenix died of food poisoning

Missions complete:
All Of Kai
All DB on DVD
Current Missions:
Dragon Boxes (Funi)
GT season 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8udQV ... 4GFPrFEPzg
Twitter https://twitter.com/SmugStick

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:17 pm

SmugStick wrote:Everyone becoming SSJ3 in Heroes is really lame. Especially since it was a thing that Goku created... I was fine with Gotenks, but when Trunks did it I lost it.
Wait until Caulifa does it in the next episode by feeling a tinglier feeling than the tingliness that granted her SSJ1.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:25 pm

SmugStick wrote:Especially since it was a thing that Goku created...
Care to explain?
SmugStick wrote:I was fine with Gotenks
Yeah, people tend to deliver the "free pass" when it's something that had appeared in the manga. Unless you forgot to mention a hypothesis in which Caulifla might get Super Saiyan 3 as well and very soon in Dragon Ball Super?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

SmugStick
Patreon Supporter

Post by SmugStick » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:48 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
SmugStick wrote:Everyone becoming SSJ3 in Heroes is really lame. Especially since it was a thing that Goku created... I was fine with Gotenks, but when Trunks did it I lost it.
Wait until Caulifa does it in the next episode by feeling a tinglier feeling than the tingliness that granted her SSJ1.
I’m going to cry when that happen. It’s bound to, and I hate it. I don’t know why SSJ3 is such an attractive transformation for merchandizing but it is really wearing me out.

Missions complete:
All Of Kai
All DB on DVD
Current Missions:
Dragon Boxes (Funi)
GT season 1

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:21 pm

Grimlock wrote:
SmugStick wrote:Especially since it was a thing that Goku created...
Care to explain?
SmugStick wrote:I was fine with Gotenks
Yeah, people tend to deliver the "free pass" when it's something that had appeared in the manga. Unless you forgot to mention a hypothesis in which Caulifla might get Super Saiyan 3 as well and very soon in Dragon Ball Super?
Goku invented the form. He discovered it through his own training. It wasn't like SSJ or SSJG, which had already existed in the past.

As for Gotenks, he gets a slight pass because he was a fusion of two saiyan half-breeds. You just have to assume he has more potential than a single saiyan.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:50 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Goku invented the form. He discovered it through his own training. It wasn't like SSJ or SSJG, which had already existed in the past.
"Create" and "invent" are not synonym for "discover". Discover implies that something was always there, one just didn't know the means to get there. And "discover" is the right term here, Goku didn't create anything. Can't simply invent a transformation (otherwise, he can create limitless transformations, even more powerful than the gods ones. But that ain't something he's going to do, is it?). Just because he was the first one, does not mean he owns that form and that it should be exclusive to him. Super Saiyan 3 is as inherent to Saiyans as any other Super Saiyan transformation since Super Saiyan 3 comes from the Super Saiyan form. If Goku hadn't shown it first or any other Saiyan from the past; Vegeta, Gohan or Gotenks would notice the existence of the form eventually.
fadeddreams5 wrote:As for Gotenks, he gets a slight pass because he was a fusion of two saiyan half-breeds. You just have to assume he has more potential than a single saiyan.
If we are really going to the "assumption" field, one can accept the fact that every Saiyan who gets Super Saiyan 3 in Dragon Ball Heroes comes from a simple concept, "what-if". What if they had power enough to become one?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:52 am

Grimlock wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:Goku invented the form. He discovered it through his own training. It wasn't like SSJ or SSJG, which had already existed in the past.
"Create" and "invent" are not synonym for "discover". Discover implies that something was always there, one just didn't know the means to get there. And "discover" is the right term here, Goku didn't create anything. Can't simply invent a transformation (otherwise, he can create limitless transformations, even more powerful than the gods ones. But that ain't something he's going to do, is it?). Just because he was the first one, does not mean he owns that form and that it should be exclusive to him. Super Saiyan 3 is as inherent to Saiyans as any other Super Saiyan transformation since Super Saiyan 3 comes from the Super Saiyan form. If Goku hadn't shown it first or any other Saiyan from the past; Vegeta, Gohan or Gotenks would notice the existence of the form eventually.
fadeddreams5 wrote:As for Gotenks, he gets a slight pass because he was a fusion of two saiyan half-breeds. You just have to assume he has more potential than a single saiyan.
If we are really going to the "assumption" field, one can accept the fact that every Saiyan who gets Super Saiyan 3 in Dragon Ball Heroes comes from a simple concept, "what-if". What if they had power enough to become one?
Okay, semantics. You're right, but I think you know what the other poster meant.

Case in point, Goku discovered the form through training and his own genius-level fighting talent. It should have been exclusive to him for the sake of not diminishing the uniqueness of the form. It's bad enough how oversaturated the original SSJ form is, but giving this particular form to everyone is worse because it looks virtually identical on every character that uses it. When I was little, I used to tell people my favorite character was SSJ3 Goku. I emphasized that form because it looked so cool, and I recall despising the fact that Gotenks also got it. I can definitely see why it irks people seeing it on so many lesser characters. SSJ3 Vegeta is the only one I would have loved to see, besides Goku, at any point in my life.

Storywise, I don't think Vegeta, Gohan, or Gotenks would have ever noticed its existence. In 7 years, Vegeta was barely even as strong as SSJ2 Kid Gohan; he only surpassed this with majin powers. Even after becoming aware of it, by BoG, he still hadn't attained it. Gohan doesn't train, so I don't see how he would have eventually discovered it. Gotenks is a possibility, but he's also inexperienced. If we use Super, Future Trunks had a LONG time to discover it himself, and never did. The SSJ3 state, for all intents and purposes, is a result of Goku being a fighting genius.

As for Gotenks, like I mentioned, I personally don't like that he got the SSJ3 state. However, I can see why people give him a pass, given his entire existence is attributed to a special technique. It's not something outright stated in any source material, but it's also very plausible based on what we do know about him in the manga and anime. But point is, this is not a case of "oh, it happened in the manga, so it's alright."

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:55 am

Modern DB anything?

I haven't read Dragon Ball Minus or watched Episode of Bardock, so I can't say about those. Going by the summaries, I refuse to waste my time on that stuff. Vegeta suddenly having a long lost brother, Tarble, in that 2008 Special was very weak, imo. And I still haven't been able to see anything that I like in the ritual that enabled Goku to become a (Super) Saiyajin God. I didn't like that at all.

But, I can't see anything surpassing this in the "lame" department. What was that person, or persons, thinking green-lighting this horrendous *expletive*?:

Image for Super:
[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

... :thumbdown:

It's every definition of the word "ridiculous".

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:12 pm

Super_Divine_Genki wrote:
I haven't read Dragon Ball Minus or watched Episode of Bardock, so I can't say about those.

What was that person, or persons, thinking green-lighting this horrendous *expletive*?:

Image for Super:
[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
You don't know how lucky you are.

They thought it was "funny". If there's one thing I'd change in Super is the entire writing team behind it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:39 pm

Yes Vegeta with the pacifier is incredibly stupid. I generally enjoyed that arc but not that scene. And it’s not like I care that Vegeta does funny things. I mean I loved the Bingo Dance but there was a point to that.

I also hate Future and Present Trunks now having different hair colors

Goku not knowing what kissing is

And yes Vegeta having a brother. It goes against what the series previously said.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:42 pm

Kinokima wrote:
Goku not knowing what kissing is.
I still think that whole scene is taken out of context. Its not that Goku doesnt know what kissing is, its that Goku and Vegeta misunderstood what the other was talking about. Its all realy vague and not a good joke at all.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:51 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:It's not that Goku doesnt know what kissing is, its that Goku and Vegeta misunderstood what the other was talking about. Its all realy vague and not a good joke at all.
Not only that, but it doesn't make any sense that Goku had sex with Chichi at least twice and never kissed her and she never bother about it. Also I don't like how they push it Goku being a bad father (mostly in Super manga).
I guess you still live in 2012, mate :lol: old complaint, but valid tho
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:00 pm

The stupid retcon they did to Vegetto´s fusion length. It was a kick in the groin to me, well not exactly...but it was pretty lame and ridiculous to do that.

SmugStick
Patreon Supporter

Post by SmugStick » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:38 am

Noah wrote:I guess you still live in 2012, mate :lol: old complaint, but valid tho
Oh, totally. It just bothers me more than other things. I guess it’s SSJ4 nowadays with the whole Mira VS SSJ4 GOKU VS SSJ4 Broly

Missions complete:
All Of Kai
All DB on DVD
Current Missions:
Dragon Boxes (Funi)
GT season 1

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:24 pm

Lamest is Dragon Ball minus, it just frusterates me how fun Jaco was, just to lame up Bardock.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:22 pm

Super_Divine_Genki wrote:Modern DB anything?

I haven't read Dragon Ball Minus or watched Episode of Bardock, so I can't say about those. Going by the summaries, I refuse to waste my time on that stuff. Vegeta suddenly having a long lost brother, Tarble, in that 2008 Special was very weak, imo. And I still haven't been able to see anything that I like in the ritual that enabled Goku to become a (Super) Saiyajin God. I didn't like that at all. .
Yes. Modern DB post the 2008 special have been lame to me just with the sloppy writing, lack of substance and everything Super basically is.
Super doesn't even feel like a real anime to me, let alone a sequel. It just feels like one long, reference-stroke to the audience. Everything is just based on what people wanted over the years or referencing what is popular within the series and then rebranding it. There is no real story or flow to anything, and what does exist generally doesn't make any sense no more so than any of the fights either today, like the convoluted mess the Zamasu arc was. Everything is just all nostalgia and hype with Super. I am fatigued by it.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:59 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:Yes. Modern DB post the 2008 special have been lame to me just with the sloppy writing, lack of substance and everything Super basically is.
Super doesn't even feel like a real anime to me, let alone a sequel.
First, what "real anime" is in the first place?

Super is not sequel, because so far everything has happened during the big time gap between the resolution of the Bu arc and the last Budokai Tenkaichi, not after that.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:14 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:Yes. Modern DB post the 2008 special have been lame to me just with the sloppy writing, lack of substance and everything Super basically is.
Super doesn't even feel like a real anime to me, let alone a sequel.

Super is not sequel, because so far everything has happened during the big time gap between the resolution of the Bu arc and the last Budokai Tenkaichi, not after that.
Its a sequel to the buu saga at the very least. If you don't see it as a sequel youre just being technically difficult. With all the progression in lore and power this easily could have started post z.

Makes me wonder why they didnt do that. My guess would be to keep gt questionable as canon, not deal with uub and not have gotenks grow up.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:26 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote: Super doesn't even feel like a real anime to me, let alone a sequel.
It sounds odd, like it doesn't click right. It seems like an incomplete sentence rather than a name of something. Why not just call it Dragon Ball S (for super), Dragon Ball legends or even Dragon Ball Multiverse ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:30 am

sintzu wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote: Super doesn't even feel like a real anime to me, let alone a sequel.
It sounds odd, like it doesn't click right. It seems like an incomplete sentence rather than a name of something. Why not just call it Dragon Ball S (for super), Dragon Ball legends or even Dragon Ball Multiverse ?
I'm sure a lot of people would not have liked that.