What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by sintzu » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:46 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:I'm sure a lot of people would not have liked that.
Maybe but you get the point. What would you have called it ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:23 pm

sintzu wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:I'm sure a lot of people would not have liked that.
Maybe but you get the point. What would you have called it ?
Garbage.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:24 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Garbage.
You've got a bright future at their maketing department. :lol:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:43 am

sintzu wrote:What would you have called it ?
Dragon Ball K.

"K" stands for "Kanzenshuu". The Dragon Ball that would not make a single mistake in any departament due to the writers being so talented.

You want consistency (in height/growth, storytelling)? Call the administration team (plus me and other members who care about some subjects).
You want explanation (name puns, concepts, transformations, techniques, aspects, tidbits, details)? Call the administration team.
You want to know everything about animation? Call Ajay.
You want to take a look at the "behind the scenes"? Call kei17.
You want coherence in battle/power level? Call the ones who pop up in the forum just to talk about it.
You want some fresh ideas and/or inspiration from other Dragon Ball media (such as Dragon Ball Online, Dragon Ball Heroes, Dragon Ball Xenoverse)? Call TheDevilsCorpse and me.
You want a guidebook based on it (additional information, more explanation, AGES)? Call the administration team (plus me and other members who care about some subjects).

Everything you want, a perfect Dragon Ball, is here. No mistake is spared. Trust us, you won't be leaving with any question/doubt in thy minds! No mistery is safe! All is told and revealed! :thumbup:
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:56 am

That sound really awesome. It helps that Kanzenshuu is an awesome word.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:14 pm

sintzu wrote:It sounds odd, like it doesn't click right. It seems like an incomplete sentence rather than a name of something. Why not just call it Dragon Ball S (for super), Dragon Ball legends or even Dragon Ball Multiverse ?
Yea, I don't like the name 'Super' either, I mean why not something cliché like Dragon Ball 'X'? (But I guess 'X' would feel better for an actual sequel to the end of Z :think: )
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:40 pm

Dragon Ball Kai- I mean from the Japanese point of view it was unnecessary. My issue with the japanese cast with Kai is not so much that they sucked(though that opinion certainly seems popular), but it's just they were so damn good the first time around, and their all older now, some of the performances didn't have the same punch as in Original Z. Also the Product looked cheap with only a remastering of old footage and hardly fixing any animation errors and with Soundtracks which were Inferior to Original. Though its a Blessing in Disguise for Dub Fans.

Super Saiyan God - i am not really that much fond of this form, it doesn't really match that badassery of classic Super Saiyan Form and its a very easy form to achieve too compared to older forms so it just lacks something that made Dragon Ball's transformation so Epic.

Character Designs - the Character designs look lame nowdays. They look too stiff and Like plastic crap with skinny body and too much shading and badly drawn nose. Some of the designs for characters such as Beers, Whis, Hit and Black Goku were Good but they just don't look as attractive or intimidating Like older one's.

Sound Effects- Mutsuhiro Nishimura's sound effects in Super are way inferior to Hidenori Arai's sound effects. They just lack the bombastic nature of the older ones thus making a Very well animated fight scene lacking at times.

Revival of 'F'- I think it was pretty lame sequel to Battle of Gods. It had the same old villain which they love bringing back and then all of a sudden asspulls a new transformation because he only needed to train and that too was a very lame recoloring and then another god transformation from goku and vegeta which had a lame design with recoloring Again and the characterization of goku and vegeta was bad like they were trying to pander to nostalgic fans rather Than further development of character With underwhelming ending, not to mention the movie was directed by an amateur Director so the fights weren't that Good but Atleast it had Arai SFX to make each blow feel powerful.

Dragon Ball Minus- i think it really ruined the Burdock TV Special and everything that made Burdock so different Character. They portrayed him like he cared for his son and all when it was clearly mentioned before It that Saiyans were not like that and it looked Like some cheap Superman Type of story with the way they showed Gine and Burdock bid farewell to goku. Whereas, in TV special it portrayed him like a ruthless saiyan who still cared for His comrades and after They ignored him he went to challenge Freeza and ended up getting blown With his planet but in the end having a sight of his son fighting Freeza, now that's how we do it unlike DB Minus.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Colonel Silver
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Colonel Silver » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:06 am

Pretty much everything introduced to the series from Yo Son Goku and Friends onward to even the small things, like the random tidbits Toriyama decided to drop on us about the DB universe in interviews in the last couple of years.

I have no hope for the future of this franchise, but I'm gonna do the right thing, I'm not gonna abandon ship. I'm going to do to Super what I did to all that other shit I just mentioned, I'm gonna pretend it doesn't exist. I'm all the way back in 2007. I'm in my Dragon Ball happy place. :wtf:

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:44 am

Colonel Silver wrote:I have no hope for the future of this franchise, but I'm gonna do the right thing, I'm not gonna abandon ship. I'm going to do to Super what I did to all that other shit I just mentioned, I'm gonna pretend it doesn't exist. I'm all the way back in 2007. I'm in my Dragon Ball happy place. :wtf:
You don't need to pretend it, this series actually has no connection with the original manga anyway. Couldn't you try to enjoy it knowing that anyway?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:31 am

Colonel Silver wrote:Pretty much everything introduced to the series from Yo Son Goku and Friends onward to even the small things, like the random tidbits Toriyama decided to drop on us about the DB universe in interviews in the last couple of years.
One tidbit form Toriyama is Buu's new origin about him being a demon who's always existed which not only improves Buu as a character but also helps differentiate him form Cell so what about that ? it's something that just adds and improves something from the manga. Modern DB has gotten really big lately so surely there's somethings you like about it.

What do you think about GT ?

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:13 am

The fact that people still refer to the franchise in general as DBZ and not Dragon Ball. That's the same as if people referred to the entire Naruto franchise as Naruto Shippuden. :roll:
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:41 am

Yamamuro's modern character designs. Because of Super episode 114, we got a glimpse of what Super would look like if it had older character designs, and it was glorious. Not that it would look as good every episode, but it would certainly be a step up from what it is now.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:55 am

Lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ is that I'm not 12 anymore.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:57 am

TheBigBoy wrote:Lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ is that I'm not 12 anymore.
How is that lame?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:16 pm

Noah wrote:
TheBigBoy wrote:Lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ is that I'm not 12 anymore.
How is that lame?
Most of the issues that I and others have with "modern DBZ" would be happily overlooked were I a kid and not an overly analytical adult.

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:40 pm

TheBigBoy wrote: Most of the issues that I and others have with "modern DBZ" would be happily overlooked were I a kid and not an overly analytical adult.
I know what you mean. I wish I could just switch my brain off and enjoy cool flashy dudes fighting each other again.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:52 pm

It doesn't require you switching your brain off. It simply requires you to understand what it is you are watching it for.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:02 pm

"Can't turn my brain off" or "I'm an adult now" aren't excuses. If you can still enjoy the original series now, then you're debunking your own argument.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:20 pm

TheQuazz wrote:
TheBigBoy wrote: Most of the issues that I and others have with "modern DBZ" would be happily overlooked were I a kid and not an overly analytical adult.
I know what you mean. I wish I could just switch my brain off and enjoy cool flashy dudes fighting each other again.
If you can still enjoy the original DB&Z and other Shonen then the issue of you not enjoying Super is because of its quality, not your age.

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:33 pm

I was going to say I only enjoy Z out of nostalgia, but I almost forgot I never saw anything past the Saban dub as a kid, but I can sit down and watch even the Boo saga at any time. The weird thing is, I don't think Z is objectively that good of a show either, but I still find it a million times more enjoyable than Super.
Super just seems to lack soul or grit or *something* that gave Dragon Ball that Dragon Ball magic. Say what you will about how the animation is on-par or better than Z's a lot of the time now, but hand-drawn animation is just something I personally find way more impressive and engaging to watch. Maybe Kikuchi's score has a lot to do with it too, it's just so memorable and unique compared to the generic schlock served up by newer DB material.

To stay on topic, one of the lamest things to me is how Japanese-y everything is now. I kind of puts me off how everyone's wearing slippers inside and eating cup ramen and other Japanese foods all the time, it kind of takes the timeless kind of charm away from the stories
Last edited by TheQuazz on Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.