What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by supersaiyanZero » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:29 pm

ringworm128 wrote:
Puaru wrote:The lamest thing to come out of modern Dragon Ball is definitely Gohan. I feel like I wanna go inside the Dragon Ball universe and kick his weak ass and yell at him for being so goddamn lame.
*Inhales* Gohan right from the get go was set up to be a more scholarly type who hates fighting and only resorts to it when needed. Him settling down is perfectly in character, the cast isn't just a bunch of violence obsessed freaks who sit around waiting for the next bad guy to show up.
The opposite, really..Gohan was led through several challenges where he had to tap into his power in order to protect his friends and family. From Raditz, to the saiyans, to Frieza, and especially Cell - Gohan was slowly progressing towards embracing his power and role as protector of Earth. This climaxed in the Buu Saga, when he stopped training and all of a sudden the fate of the entire planet rested on his shoulders again. And he lost. Again.

If anything, Gohan being constantly bailed out my his father and the rest of the cast is a missed opportunity for the writing team. He can be conflicted with his role, he can still fight against the role that he is constantly pushed into playing, but for him to just give up training after failing so miserable to protect the ones he loves over and over again despite the hidden potential in him is just nonsensical.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Probably a small thing, but I loved the golden tail while in the Super Saiyan state:

And I HATE that the modern media ignores that:

Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:30 pm

Thanks for reviving this thead, I have some more stuff to add:

Dragon Ball Super movie can potentially be one of the lamest thing to come out in modern Dragon Ball. It is the first movie of the latest series and it is about anyone other than a crap old movie character returning once again... I've already said and I'll say again: if this is some kind of a joke, it's the worst one I've ever heard. :| They better deliver a good chunk of information, explanation, screentime and character development for certain Saiyans of the past, only then this movie has a chance to save itself.

Bringing back Freeza and wasting an entire movie for him just to kill him at the end wasn't enough, we need to have another unncessary character on the screen again. By the gods, what the series have become?
Last edited by Grimlock on Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:35 pm

Grimlock wrote:Bringing back Freeza and wasting an entire movie for him just to kill him at the end wasn't enough, we need to have another unncessary character on the screen again.
Look on the bright side, they probably won't kill Broly off so in the future he (and Freeza) can hang with everyone at capsule corp. All that's left is to bring Cell back and the gang will all be reunited. :mrgreen:
By the gods, what the series have become ?
A cash cow.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:48 pm

sintzu wrote:Look on the bright side, they probably won't kill Broly off so in the future he (and Freeza) can hang with everyone at capsule corp. All that's left is to bring Cell back and the gang will all be reunited. :mrgreen:
Bringing back Cell would be better than all this nonsense that we've been getting lately. He has more to offer, he has Saiyans, Freeza and Piccolo cells, you can do whatever you want with the character and explore whatever concept through him.

No, let's just bring back characters that don't add anything valuable to the franchise instead...
A cash cow.
:cry:
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:57 pm

Grimlock wrote:Let's just bring back characters that don't add anything valuable to the franchise instead...
He adds $$$ value. :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:05 pm

sintzu wrote:
Grimlock wrote:Let's just bring back characters that don't add anything valuable to the franchise instead...
He adds $$$ value. :lol:
We are SO fucking beyond the stage to be rightfully complaining about Dragon Ball being exploited for extra profit.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:11 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:We are SO fucking beyond the stage to be rightfully complaining about Dragon Ball being exploited for extra profit.
That's been the case since BOG and things are just going to continue down that road. Once this movie breaks RF's record you're going to see all kinds of crazy things we thought we'd never see be front and center moving forward. I completely understand not being happy about where things have ended up but that's modern DB for you. DB didn't come back because it had this grand story to tell (not that it hasn't been good), it simply needed new content for merchandise and games. I do believe things would've been a lot worse without Toriyama cause at least with him we can get fun stories and characters.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:19 pm

sintzu wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:We are SO fucking beyond the stage to be rightfully complaining about Dragon Ball being exploited for extra profit.
That's been the case since BOG and things are just going to continue down that road. Once this movie breaks RF's record you're going to see all kinds of crazy things we thought we'd never see be front and center moving forward. I completely understand not being happy about where things have ended up but that's modern DB for you. DB didn't come back because it had this grand story to tell (not that it hasn't been good), it simply needed new content for merchandise and games. I do believe things would've been a lot worse without Toriyama cause at least with him we can get fun stories and characters.
This has been going on since the late 80s. It's didn't just start with Battle Of Gods. Hell, Battle Of Gods was meant to be a one time thing. What really got the ball rolling more Dragon Ball being produced in last few years was Resurrection F... which Toriyama's idea from day one. And that snowballed into Dragon Ball Super... which Toriyama was heavily involved in.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:22 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:This has been going on since the late 80s. It's didn't just start with Battle Of Gods.
I know it got merchandise in the 80s and 90s but it never impacted the story, at least not in a way I know of.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:25 pm

sintzu wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:This has been going on since the late 80s. It's didn't just start with Battle Of Gods.
I know it got merchandise in the 80s and 90s but it never impacted the story, at least not in a way I know of.
The story ended back in 1995.

Broly深蓝

Post by Broly深蓝 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:28 pm

The fighting system in the modern video games, pales in comparison to the older titles IMO.

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:24 pm

perucho1990 wrote:With all respect but it has to be Post BoG movie Akira Toriyama, his latest interview proves that he is really in a mentally bad shape, the fact Roshi got more focused than 50% of U7 is a big example of that.

In 2017, the likes of Tite Kubo and Hiro Mashima would be an upgrade for writing the outlines, at least we couldve gotten a better antagonist than Jiren.
So Roshi getting more focus than other stronger characters is an example of Toriyama's being in mentally bad shape? What's wrong with you?
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:15 pm

-Girl Broly
    -Super Saiyan Blue Evolution
      -BoG and RoF Arc
        -Future Trunks arc ending
          -Tien in the ToP
            -Majin Buu falling asleep again
              -Super Saiyan Blue being used too much
                -Goku constantly letting his guard down in the ToP
                  -The Peanut Gallery.

Neo-Makaiōshin
                  I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:30 pm

sintzu wrote:That's been the case since BOG and things are just going to continue down that road. Once this movie breaks RF's record you're going to see all kinds of crazy things we thought we'd never see be front and center moving forward. I completely understand not being happy about where things have ended up but that's modern DB for you. DB didn't come back because it had this grand story to tell (not that it hasn't been good), it simply needed new content for merchandise and games. I do believe things would've been a lot worse without Toriyama cause at least with him we can get fun stories and characters.
                  Let's not kid ourselves from the fact that Dragon Ball has been a cash cow the moment it went beyond the first arc and sold thousand of volumes with that arc in a single volume.
                  Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

jeffbr92
                  Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:51 pm

YonedgeHP wrote:
                  perucho1990 wrote:With all respect but it has to be Post BoG movie Akira Toriyama, his latest interview proves that he is really in a mentally bad shape, the fact Roshi got more focused than 50% of U7 is a big example of that.

In 2017, the likes of Tite Kubo and Hiro Mashima would be an upgrade for writing the outlines, at least we couldve gotten a better antagonist than Jiren.
                  So Roshi getting more focus than other stronger characters is an example of Toriyama's being in mentally bad shape? What's wrong with you?
                  I wouldn't say that's a "proof", but he got a point: Roshi passed the torch to the new generation in the 22nd TB arc and it feels off that he suddens wants to take take part of the action again, when we could actually see more Yamcha or Chaozu
                  Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Champa The Destroyer
                  Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:19 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
                  YonedgeHP wrote:

I wouldn't say that's a "proof", but he got a point: Roshi passed the torch to the new generation in the 22nd TB arc and it feels off that he suddens wants to take take part of the action again, when we could actually see more Yamcha or Chaozu

Agreed, but I think the other person was talking the comment on Toriyama's mental health. For example, if the first person had said "his talent degrading" or something like that instead of talking about his mental health, I doubt he would have had an issue.

PFM18
                  Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:50 pm

The lamest thing about modern DB is the amount of people that complain angrily about modern DB.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
                  Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:21 am

PFM18 wrote:The lamest thing about modern DB is the amount of people that complain angrily about modern DB.
                  And where would we be without that?

PFM18
                  Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:35 am

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:
                  PFM18 wrote:The lamest thing about modern DB is the amount of people that complain angrily about modern DB.
                  And where would we be without that?
                  Ummm exactly where we are now? Their complaints don't change anything