Super Saiyan 2 Appreciation Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Re: Super Saiyan 2 Appreciation Thread

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:48 pm

In regard to the OP above, where does that picture of Gogeta come from?
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:03 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:In regard to the OP above, where does that picture of Gogeta come from?
It's from Dragon Ball Heroes JM5 Opening animation.

Kakarot9001
Banned

Post by Kakarot9001 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:24 pm

Taking Super Saiyan 4 (the ultimate transformation)

Super Saiyan 2 is cleary my 2nd favorite form! It's such a shame that TOEI and Toriyama doesn't care about SSJ2, I hate them for that also for having made that bizarre SSJ God form.

I cried with Gohan when he transformed into SSJ2 in the anime, that scene marked me in so many ways... That rage face with tears drops, so emotional yet awesome...

Super Saiyan 2 4EVER

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:33 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:Super Saiyan 2 is hands down my favorite form. Nothing looks cooler.
Interesting, because your avatar is Vegeta as Super Saiyan 2.

Well, I am glad to see other people liking this form. If it was possible, would give it a like to everyone, even for Doctor, I liked his argument for not liking it, I must agree Super Saiyan 2 is indeed a forgettable form... By the author and popularity/appearance/midia, such a pity. :cry:

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:34 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Oddly enough, I don't see any of the people bitching that SSJ God is "basically Kaio-Ken" getting on to this for being SSJ with a couple of sparks added.
Well, as someone who thinks SS God is too close to Kaio-ken, allow me to explain what I feel the difference is.

Super Saiyan 2 is something that really should be close to Super Saiyan. Not only is it the next direct transformation, but the subtle differences contrast the exaggerated muscles of the impractical graded forms. As the "proper" transformation from Super Saiyan, it was best to look subtle. I do think Boo arc Gohan and Vegeta could have done with some difference in their hair style, though.

Super Saiyan God, meanwhile, has no established connection with Kaio-ken. There's no reason for them to be similar, and they share nothing in common. That's why I don't like that Super Saiyan God's design is so evocative of Kaio-ken, rather than feeling like something really new.

There could be some potential in Kaio-ken and Super Saiyan God having some kind of explicit connection explaining why only a Saiyan mastered Kaio-ken or whatever, but I guess that's not really related.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:04 am

I think people forget that in the anime Goku spent the first portion of the Kid Buu fight in SS2, which was an awesome part of the fight. To add to that they made it seem way more powerful than it should have been. Even Vegeta was made to seem overpowered in SS2 when he fought Kid Buu.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:30 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Oddly enough, I don't see any of the people bitching that SSJ God is "basically Kaio-Ken" getting on to this for being SSJ with a couple of sparks added.
SSJ2 is implicitly an upgrade of SSJ1, hence the similarity. No one would bitch about the design of SSJG if it was supposed to be an upgrade to Kaioken. That would have been expected.
fadeddreams5 wrote:So, do you guys prefer the blue lightning bolts around SSJ2/3 from the anime or the golden lightning from the full-color manga and new material (Buu Kai opening and that card of SSJ2 Bardock)?
Blue lightning is better looking, gives it a better contrast and makes it look more fierce somehow.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:11 pm

90sDBZ wrote:I think people forget that in the anime Goku spent the first portion of the Kid Buu fight in SS2, which was an awesome part of the fight. To add to that they made it seem way more powerful than it should have been. Even Vegeta was made to seem overpowered in SS2 when he fought Kid Buu.
No, I have already mentioned that fight, pointing out it is my favorite filler battle.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:17 pm

The best part about the lightning is the sound, hands down. They really nailed the "electricity" effect.

As for SSG, I think I would've preferred if it was a white aura or something of that nature (and not just like what the humans have, or Mystic Gohan has). Something that really stands out.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:29 pm

A white aura? Interesting. :think:
But let's continue with just Super Saiyan 2, and Super Saiyan God to another thread, if it ever comes to exist, there is.

Super Saiyan 2 Vegeta and Son Gohan in GT:

Yep, I heard something about them using it in some specific fights... Where are the freaking lightnings to prove that? :(

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:44 pm

Dyno wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:I think people forget that in the anime Goku spent the first portion of the Kid Buu fight in SS2, which was an awesome part of the fight. To add to that they made it seem way more powerful than it should have been. Even Vegeta was made to seem overpowered in SS2 when he fought Kid Buu.
No, I have already mentioned that fight, pointing out it is my favorite filler battle.
It's my favourite filler battle too!
It was actually the first episode I ever saw of DBZ in another language(English) and it left quite the impression on me 8)

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:30 pm

Super Saiyan 2 is also my favorite transformation. I would have preferred it if Goku went through the SSJ Grades instead of the levels to stall for time against Fat Buu, then went FP-SSJ2 against Fat Buu. I also think that thematically it should have been Gotenks who introduced SSJ3 to us, followed by the reveal that Goku (against Kid Buu) also know SSJ3 but chose never to use up until then for the various reasons we saw him not do his best to defeat Fat Buu.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

KingKaiGuy

Post by KingKaiGuy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:36 pm

Super Saiyan 2 is amazing in its look, I think the only transformation I liked more was the original SSJ transformation by Goku (always stood out compared to other instances for whatever reason). The lightning made it look like the user was almost unstable with the amount of power in their body.

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:49 pm

Super Saiyan 2 is by far my favorite Super Saiyan Transformation.
I think the reason why I love it so much is because of how the Dragon Ball Video Games portrayed them and caused me to always pick them in the game.
Super Saiyan 2 Gohan tended to always be fast and agile which I loved. Super Saiyan 2 Goku was really unique in his fighting style comparted to the other Super Saiyans. Super Saiyan 2 Vegeta wasn't as cool, but he was if he was Majin, he was pretty powerful also.
I also love the lightning and the extremely spiky hair. Some of my favorite fights in the series SSJ2 Goku vs SSJ2 Vegeta and SSJ2 Gohan vs Perfect Cell and SSJ2 Gohan vs SSJ2 Dabura were awesome.

Problem with this form is that everybody forgot about it. Goku used SSJ3, Gotenks didn't use it and Gohan became Mystic. What really sucks with Vegeta is that we never knew if he was in SSJ2 or SSJ1 because they became kind of sloppy also.
Sucks for us fans...

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2010 ... FatBuu.png

How can you not think this is bad ass lol.
Last edited by TheKingOfKamehamehas on Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:53 pm

Just look at the name, Super saiyan GOD. From the name alone people would expect a whole new, drastic, bad ass super saiyan design and they didn't get that. Also SSJG was the first new SSJ transformation in YEARS with a lot of hype surrounding it and the release of BoG which was the first DB film released in 17 years.

Please don't compare the two. The circumstances surrounding both transformations are astoundingly different.
Also what Rereboy said

As for the thread I like SSJ2 aswell, it's like SSJ but more edgy and more dangerous looking. Any time I see SSJ2 without sparks it bothers me.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:59 pm

The Monkey King wrote:Any time I see SSJ2 without sparks it bothers me.
Same to me. It is really... Annoying as well.

Kakarot9001
Banned

Post by Kakarot9001 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:21 pm

TheKingOfKamehamehas wrote:...I also love the lightning and the extremely spiky hair. Some of my favorite fights in the series SSJ2 Goku vs SSJ2 Vegeta and SSJ2 Gohan vs SSJ2 Cell

SSJ2 Cell? :D

MasterVampire
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MasterVampire » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:12 am

I really hate how inconsistent they are with SSj2

Like the whole was Gohan SSJ2 when fighting Dabura, was Vegeta SSJ2 when fighting Kid Buu, was Vegeta SSJ2 when fighting Beerus, why did Goku and Vegeta pretty much never use it in GT etc...

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:35 am

Love it. It's like SSJ but slicker and obviously more powerful.

SSJ2 Goku was also always my favorite character play as in the Tenkaichi games.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:22 pm

Kakarot9001 wrote:SSJ2 Cell? :D
Yes, when he got back from his explosion, you can tell Cell is as Super Saiyan 2. It is not wrong calling him like that and... I prefer that one over "Super Perfect".