Super Saiyan 2 Appreciation Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Super Saiyan 2 Appreciation Thread

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:44 pm

I wish Dragon Ball Super wouldn't keep falling back on these old transformations for Gokuu and Vegeta. Even having Cabba and Caulifla use multiple transformations weakens the structure of these fights. This is the curse of merchandising. :(
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:00 am

JulieYBM wrote:I wish Dragon Ball Super wouldn't keep falling back on these old transformations for Gokuu and Vegeta. Even having Cabba and Caulifla use multiple transformations weakens the structure of these fights. This is the curse of merchandising. :(
How so?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:58 am

Noah wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:Agreed SSJ2 is the most aesthetic transformation, I only think SSJ3 looks good on Gotenks not on Goku.
Why?
Maybe because the long hair looks better on a short body. Just my opinion.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:45 am

We desperately need more SS2 merch. I'd love a Super Saiyan 2 Goku Figuarts or Figurerise Standard.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:16 am

Metalwario64 wrote:We desperately need more SS2 merch. I'd love a Super Saiyan 2 Goku Figuarts or Figurerise Standard.
Well Banpresto are releasing a SS2 Goku next week in Japan for their DBS DXF line:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:30 pm

That face is hideous! :sick:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:38 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Well Banpresto are releasing a SS2 Goku next week in Japan for their DBS DXF line:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
They're really getting their money's worth out of that body mold, aren't they? :eh:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:22 am

Metalwario64 wrote:That face is hideous! :sick:
Yeah... the prototype though looked decent enough. After the poor Scultures SS2's I was hoping Banpresto will finally release a decent SS2... oy vey.
BlueBasilisk wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Well Banpresto are releasing a SS2 Goku next week in Japan for their DBS DXF line:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
They're really getting their money's worth out of that body mold, aren't they? :eh:
So lazy, we could have gotten so much more new chars if they weren't lazy and decide to re-use previous volume poses, like Vegetto Blue mould was re-used for Vol 4 for Super Vegetto and that form didn't even appear in Super! Seems Banpresto are pausing in the DXF line next vol should be out December but nothing announced and we now got stuff announced until March... seems they're concentrating on FES line (which is all Goku...).

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:17 am

Metalwario64 wrote:That face is hideous! :sick:

That's actually my main issue with a lot of DB figures they always get the faces wrong. Then again so do the animators a lot of times so what can I say.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:29 pm

乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:58 pm

Was there even a difference between Cabba's hair in SS2? Was there a difference between Trunks' aswell for that matter?

Goku still rocks SS2 so well there's legitimate differences in his hair. It's for that reason I hope no one gets UI as no-one will rock that like Goku.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:49 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Was there a difference between Trunks' aswell for that matter?
In the anime unfortunately no. And that mistake kind of happens in the manga too (there's a difference, but not to the point of being so drastic). The only place that is correct about it is Dragon Ball Heroes (heck, they even managed to differentiate Gogeta's Super Saiyan from his Super Saiyan 2).

I'm glad as to what Toei did for Caulifla though. I'd be happier if her Super Saiyan 2 kept the same bangs seen in the first time she transformed, but oh well. :roll:
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:17 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Was there a difference between Trunks' aswell for that matter?
In the anime unfortunately no. And that mistake kind of happens in the manga too (there's a difference, but not to the point of being so drastic). The only place that is correct about it is Dragon Ball Heroes (heck, they even managed to differentiate Gogeta's Super Saiyan from his Super Saiyan 2).

I'm glad as to what Toei did for Caulifla though. I'd be happier if her Super Saiyan 2 kept the same bangs seen in the first time she transformed, but oh well. :roll:
You have a pic of Gogeta in SS2 vs 1? I'm intrigued.

As for Trunks maybe Toei didn't bother with too much effort on SS2 cuz of Ikari? Doesn't look like Toriyama designed SS2 Trunks so that seems logical to me.

Cauli she had bangs on the side like Goku right? Considering that #100 was done by Yashima who is pretty inconsistent when it comes to Saiyan hair, today's episode should hopefully be like the episode she début SS2 in.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:54 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:You have a pic of Gogeta in SS2 vs 1? I'm intrigued.
Better yet, a video about it. His hair grows a little bit and gets more spiked.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:As for Trunks maybe Toei didn't bother with too much effort on SS2 cuz of Ikari? Doesn't look like Toriyama designed SS2 Trunks so that seems logical to me.
I doubt Toei was so far ahead to know about Super Saiyan Rage. Still, I don't think Trunks' hair as Super Saiyan Rage is supposed to be what his Super Saiyan 2 hair should look like.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:57 am

Recent episode was a SS2 fans wet dream! Looked like 3 was gonna steal the thunder but nope that transformation is still as dudy as a dud can be.
Grimlock wrote: I doubt Toei was so far ahead to know about Super Saiyan Rage. Still, I don't think Trunks' hair as Super Saiyan Rage is supposed to be what his Super Saiyan 2 hair should look like.
What I meant was because of Ikari maybe they didn't put effort into designing SS2 Trunks with the mentality if we're giving him a new form why bother let's just add lightning.

Anyway doesn't look like Caulifla had her bangs on the side back :(

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:39 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Recent episode was a SS2 fans wet dream!
Remember the time when there are rumours Toei didn't know how to differentiate SSJ2 from SSJ in the anime? Like in many parts Goku looked as SSJ when he was fighting Majin Vegeta? The times Toei didn't bothered to animate the lightnings? (besides SSJ3) and the total absence of SSJ2 in GT?

I'm glad how all this have changed in Super, I mean we even have characters refering the form by name: "Turning Super Saiyan 2 already?", "So this a the battle between two SSJ2?" and etc.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:45 pm

Noah wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Recent episode was a SS2 fans wet dream!
Remember the time when there are rumours Toei didn't know how to differentiate SSJ2 from SSJ in the anime? Like in many parts Goku looked as SSJ when he was fighting Majin Vegeta? The times Toei didn't bothered to animate the lightnings? (besides SSJ3) and the total absence of SSJ2 in GT?

I'm glad how all this have changed in Super, I mean we even have characters refering the form by name: "Turning Super Saiyan 2 already?", "So this a the battle between two SSJ2?" and etc.
Aside from the god forms it does seem Toei given a lot of love to SS2 in DBS. This episode we actually got a power up for it considering Goku was drained I was hoping that was gonna happen for 1 but they did straight to 2!

My only complaint as usual is the godawful colouring of the yellow forms. Toei if they fixed that I honestly won't have any problems with DBS from a technical standpoint.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:22 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:but nope that transformation is still as dudy as a dud can be. :(
Super Saiyan God and Super Saiyan Blue didn't appear this episode though :wink:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:51 am

Better look at the SS2 figure out of box:
vs Protoype:

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:13 am

I guess we're just use to the unparalleled quality of the Figuarts line. Image Well... Recently the paint application quality has severely dipped, but they still make the best sculpts in the world imo.
El Conejo Malo