Your ranking of the various arcs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Re: Your ranking of the various arcs

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:29 am

SaintEvolution wrote:Also, Toriyama planned to finish Dragon Ball a lot before Buu or Cell Sagas. Shueisha just made him work to write and draw them.
That's mostly hearsay. I'd recommend reading over this.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:50 am

From best to worst:

Manga List:

-Freeza
-22nd Budokai
-21st Budokai
-Baba's Tournament
-Pilaf
-Red Ribbon
-Saiyan
-Piccolo (including the 23rd Budokai)
-Jinzoningen
-Boo

Anime List:

-Saiyan
-Freeza
-21st Budokai
-Jinzoningen
-Pilaf
-22nd Budokai
-Goku Jr. Special
-Bardock Special
-Baba's Tournament
-Afterlife Tournament
-Movie 13
-Trunks Special
-Red Ribbon
-Movie 12
-Piccolo (including the 23rd Budokai)
-Movie 8
-Evil Dragon's
-Movie 3
-Movie 1
-Boo
-Garlic Jr. Arc
-Black Star (including Baby Arc)
-Super 17
-Those other movies
-Wedding Arc
Retired.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:21 pm

Sailor Haumea wrote:Am I the only one who likes Garlic Jr. Saga?
It was never so much the concept of the Garlic Jr saga that was bad IMO, mostly the execution.

Although my biggest problem with it is unsolvable (how the Black Water Mist (is that what it's called again?) worked made no sense), i imagine that it would be a lot more enjoyable with fan editing. One problem I'm sure that can be fixed by fanediting is Krillin using the Kien-Zan on one of Garlic Jr's minions and said minion no-selling it.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:07 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:Some people are used to underestimate the Buu Saga because it's not that serious and it is more simpiflied, and overestimate the Cell Saga because it's probably the most serious and tensioned of DBZ. But honestly I think that simplified arcs works better for DB than complex stuff, even because Cell/Android arc has a lot of plot holes and weird inconstancies in the power levels.
The Majin Boo Saga has way worse power level inconsistencies considering it has stuff like Dabura being ~>=<? of Cell, Evil Boo + Mr Boo = a Boo way stronger than Fat Boo, and Gohan being SSJ or SSJ2 fighting Dabura. Also the whole thing was built was on plot-holes.

Anyways...

1. Namek/Freeza Saga
2. 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai
3. Saiyan Saga
4. Piccolo Daimao Saga
5. 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai
6. Artificial Human/Cell Saga
7. 21st Tenkaichi Budokai
8. Majin Boo Saga
9. The Saga of Son Goku
10. Red Ribbon Army Saga
11. Uranai Baba Saga
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:38 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:Some people are used to underestimate the Buu Saga because it's not that serious and it is more simpiflied, and overestimate the Cell Saga because it's probably the most serious and tensioned of DBZ. But honestly I think that simplified arcs works better for DB than complex stuff, even because Cell/Android arc has a lot of plot holes and weird inconstancies in the power levels.
The Majin Boo Saga has way worse power level inconsistencies considering it has stuff like Dabura being ~>=<? of Cell, Evil Boo + Mr Boo = a Boo way stronger than Fat Boo, and Gohan being SSJ or SSJ2 fighting Dabura. Also the whole thing was built was on plot-holes.

Anyways...

1. Namek/Freeza Saga
2. 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai
3. Saiyan Saga
4. Piccolo Daimao Saga
5. 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai
6. Artificial Human/Cell Saga
7. 21st Tenkaichi Budokai
8. Majin Boo Saga
9. The Saga of Son Goku
10. Red Ribbon Army Saga
11. Uranai Baba Saga
I don't that is a big inconcistance. The powers of the characters in the series were way different between Cell Saga and Buu Saga. There is no problem on Dabura being strong as Cell(maybe in the perfect form). Gohan even couldn't defeat or fight him with advantage as he did with Perfect Cell.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:57 am

This is how I'd probably rank each of the arcs in the manga:

1. Red Ribbon Army arc
2. Saiyan arc
3. Namek/Freeza arc
4. 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai arc
5. 21st Tenkaichi Budokai arc
6. 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai arc
7. Emperor Pilaf arc
8. Piccolo Daimao arc
9. Majin Buu arc
10. Cell arc
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:51 am

The original's run :

Buu
Androids
Namek
Saiyans
23rd Tenkaichi
King Piccolo
22nd Tenkaichi
Red Ribbon army
21st Tenkaichi
Pilaf

Super is too different in production, writing and structure to have it on the same list but here's its own :

Black
Tournament of power
Champa's tournament
Freeza's resurrection
BOG

I haven't seen GT in awhile but I remember liking Baby the most followed by the shadow dragons then super 17. I've always hated the black star search so that's my least favorite in the entire franchise.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:42 pm

sintzu wrote:The original's run :

Buu
Androids
Namek
Saiyans
23rd Tenkaichi
King Piccolo
22nd Tenkaichi
Red Ribbon army
21st Tenkaichi
Pilaf

Super is too different in production, writing and structure to have it on the same list but here's its own :

Black
Tournament of power
Champa's tournament
Freeza's resurrection
BOG

I haven't seen GT in awhile but I remember liking Baby the most followed by the shadow dragons then super 17. I've always hated the black star search so that's my least favorite in the entire franchise.
That’s literally the manga in backwards order lol. You think every arc was better than the last? That’s a pretty unique opinion.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:32 am

MajinMan wrote:You think every arc was better than the last? That’s a pretty unique opinion.
I know it seems like too easy of an opinion but I'm serious about it, I really do think each arc was an improvement over the last one.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:25 am

sintzu wrote:
MajinMan wrote:You think every arc was better than the last? That’s a pretty unique opinion.
I know it seems like too easy of an opinion but I'm serious about it, I really do think each arc was an improvement over the last one.
That’s pretty cool, I guess. And wow, I just realized how old this thread actually is. Super wasn’t around when it was first made...
MajinMan wrote:My rankings would go like this:

1. Buu
2. Freeza
3. 21st Budokai
4. Piccolo Daimao
5. Saiyan
6. 22nd Budokai
7. Pilaf
8. Cell
9. Red Ribbon
10. 23rd Budokai

GT is all on the bottom mushed up together along with Garlic Junior. The Other World Tournament is the best filler arc but doesn't compare with the actual series. I might slightly change it if this current "God" arc continues with a 3rd movie because I'm going to have to put that somewhere in my list as well.
- The 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai at the bottom...
- 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai and Saiyan arcs being 6th and 5th and not 2nd and 3rd
- “God arc,” “3rd Movie”
- Daimao and Freeza so high
- “GT mushed at the bottom with Garlic Jr.”
- “Pilaf”

I need to go back and slap some sense into myself. New and objectively better list:

1. Majin Buu arc
2. 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai arc
3. Saiyan arc
4. 21st Tenkaichi Budokai arc
5. 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai arc
6. Freeza arc
7. Red Ribbon Army arc
8. Piccolo Daimao arc
9. Hunt for the Dragon Balls arc
10. Cell arc
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:47 am

1. Namek
2. Saiyans
3. Red Ribbon Army
4. 22nd tournament
5. 23rd tournament
6. King Piccolo
7. 21st tournament
8. Boo
9. Hunt for the Dragon Balls
10. Androids

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:24 am

I will only rank DBZ and GT here.
Original DB is a different production (i might change this list once i read the manga again) and i don't really like any arc in Super so will just ignore it.

1. Baby arc
2. Buu arc
3. Shadow Dragons arc
4. Frieza arc
5. Black Star Dragon Balls arc (thanks to M2 and Rildo)
6. Saiyans arc
7. Super 17 arc
8. Cell arc
9. Garlic Jr arc

Super 17 is above Cell saga because it's much shorter experience.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:35 am

Original DB is a different production
It's different from Z and GT?

From favorite to least:
Saiyan, Piccolo Daimao, 21st TB, 22nd TB, 23rd TB, Freeza, Pilaf, Fortuneteller Baba, Cell, Red Ribbon Army, Buu
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:30 am

ABED wrote:
You can thank whoever's bright idea it was to leave DB out of the franchise's marketing for this misconception.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:36 pm

1. Great Saiyaman Arc
2.-Whatever. Most of the rest of the arcs (I like them all about the same, honestly).
Last. Garlic Junior Arc.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:00 pm

ABED wrote:
Yes it's different. I mean it has diferent atmosphere. King Piccolo saga is something that would fit rest of franchise the most.
Also, i recently read entire "DBZ" manga (i hate to use Z with manga since there is no such thing) and i rewatched GT not so long ago. I will have to read original series part of manga once again and then it would be much easier to decide where to put it between DBZ/GT.

King Piccolo saga would be very high for sure.
Overall DB would be rated higher than most of DBZ except Buu saga.
But since i can't decide where to exactly put those arcs i ignored them for now.
Jackalope89 wrote:1. Great Saiyaman Arc
2.-Whatever. Most of the rest of the arcs (I like them all about the same, honestly).
Last. Garlic Junior Arc.
There isn't such thing as "Great Saiyaman Arc", although i agree that everything between beginning of Buu saga and Babidi showing up is the best part of DBZ.
All the episodes about saiyaman, school, videl and tournament training were awesome.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:08 pm

From Favorite to Least:

Android/Cell—I love the character interactions in this arc even if the writing isn’t always the best. Especially in the anime, Goku and Gohan have some of their best moments in the Time Chamber so this one is always a win for me. Not every episode is great but the ones that are good are really good

Saiyan—This has such great development for almost everyone I think: Gohan, Piccolo, Goku and it’s always fun to see where Vegeta was at the start. The human characters still carry a lot of weight and I do love the action with Goku and Vegetas fight

Freeza—Freeza is an awesome villain. While I am weary of them bringing him back and focusing so much on him in Super, I do see why. The connection to the Saiyans, his interactions with the whole cast, they really are great! Plus, I will never forget that first Super Saiyan transformation!

Garlic Junior—Much like Cell, it’s the character interactions more than the plot that I love about this arc. In Cell, it’s Goku and Gohan and for this one, it’s Gohan and Krillin. Their play off one another and off of Piccolo and Kami is great. Gohan is also at that age in between Freeza and the Androids where you can see that confidence starting but it hasn’t been realized yet and it only comes out around certain people

Buu—Not perfect But I’d be lying if I said this arc didn’t make laugh. It’s also unpredictable which is something I like in an adventure story. Some bits and pieces of it drag but once the action gets going, I love it. Plus, Goku and Vegeta in Buu’s body will never fail to entertain me

Shadow Dragons Arc—My favorite bit of GT. Not executed great but the overall idea is really awesome and the latter dragons (3, 4, 1) are great villains. I also love the emotional dilemma for Goku in having to fight a creature that absorbed his grandchild, which I thought was a great expansion on the “You’re too soft on me” from the Cell Games with Gohan

Piccolo Daimo/23rd Tournament—My favorite period of Goku’s childhood. I was genuinely shocked the first time I saw it (as I had yet to read the manga) and since I had seen Z first, to see where Piccolo had come from really blew my mind. Plus, I actually don’t mind ChiChi here.

Tenshinhan—Much like with Piccolo, being able to see what he used to be like was a lot of fun. His interactions with Master Roshi in particular are great. It also answereda lot if questions for me.

Fortune teller Baba—Goku sees his grandfather again, Upa is a fun character that I wish we saw more of and the antics at Baba’s place with the different fighters are just great.

Baby—Execution could have been better but the idea is solid. Bringing back the Tuffles again was a great plot point and I loved seeing Goku stuck fighting against his loved ones. Then if course, there’s the Super Saiyan 4.

Tournament—First tournament with young Goku and Krillin is ridiculously creative and that zaniness is what I love about it. Seeing what Roshi’s training had done was an awesome bit of payoff and I give props for not letting Goku win yet

General Blue—Not my favorite but it has some good points. Not a huge fan of Blue nor of Arale but there are some pretty funny interactions in this one, especially with Bulma

Pilaf—A great introduction to the main characters will meet and hang out with for a long time. Oolong I actually really liked his interactions with the group and Bulma is so crass that it cracks me up.

Red Ribbon/Commander Red—Eh, fun but not as fun as it could have been. I honestly forget most of this saga right after I watch it. It isn’t bad but it just doesn’t really stand out either.

Black Star Dragonball—Hate these episodes and I truly don’t know why. It’s obvious they were trying to re-capture that early Dragonball feel which I appreciate but I just can’t get into them.

Otherworld Tournament—The characters are funny, Goku is funny and the fights are fun but without the other characters like Krillin, Yamcha, Roshi etc to act off of, this just isn’t as much fun as the other tournaments fir me. If you could somehow plop the others into the audience or as participants, I’d like it a lot more

Saiyaman—Dear God, how I hate these episodes. I understand why people like them, I really do but they do nothing for me. I find Gohan’s antics more cringeworthy than adorable. I was fine with Golden Fighter But Saiyaman just irritates me. I just don’t find his high school antics entertaining and to be frank, it’s not how I pictured Gohan from the earlier arcs turning out, personality wise. I don’t just mean in terms of fighting skill but just the development of his personality didn’t seem to “fit” to me. I wasn’t a big fan of Videl when she first shows up either even though I do come to like her later. Again, I totally get why some people love these episodes but they just aren’t my thing.
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:20 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
ABED wrote:
Yes it's different. I mean it has diferent atmosphere. King Piccolo saga is something that would fit rest of franchise the most.
Also, i recently read entire "DBZ" manga (i hate to use Z with manga since there is no such thing) and i rewatched GT not so long ago. I will have to read original series part of manga once again and then it would be much easier to decide where to put it between DBZ/GT.

King Piccolo saga would be very high for sure.
Overall DB would be rated higher than most of DBZ except Buu saga.
But since i can't decide where to exactly put those arcs i ignored them for now.
Jackalope89 wrote:1. Great Saiyaman Arc
Last. Garlic Junior Arc.
There isn't such thing as "Great Saiyaman Arc", although i agree that everything between beginning of Buu saga and Babidi showing up is the best part of DBZ.
All the episodes about saiyaman, school, videl and tournament training were awesome.
I divide the Buu Saga up into various arcs, with the Great Saiyaman being the first, then the tournament, Babidi's ship, etc. So to me, it is its own arc.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:26 pm

1. Buu
2. King Piccolo / Piccolo Junior
3. Android / Cell
4. Namek/Freeza
5. Saiyan
6. 21st WT
7. 22nd WT
8. Baby
9. RRA
10. Pilaf
11. Shadow Dragons
12. Black
13. Otherworld WT
14. Garlic Junior
15. the rest of DB/Z filler
16. Black Star DB Hunt
17. Super 17
18. Tournament of Power
19. Beerus
20. Golden Freeza

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:58 pm

Original series:
Saiyan > Namek > 23rd Budokai > 22nd Budokai > Majin Boo > Androids > Piccolo Daimao > 21st Budokai > Hunt for the Dragon Balls > Red Ribbon Army

GT:
Bebi > Black Star > Shadow Dragon > Super 17

Super:
Universe Survival > Goku Black > Universe 6 Tournament > Battle of Gods > Resurrection F

All together:
Saiyan > Namek > 23rd Budokai > 22nd Budokai > Majin Boo > Androids > Piccolo Daimao > 21st Budokai > Hunt for the Dragon Balls > Red Ribbon Army = Universe Survival > Goku Black > Universe 6 Tournament > Battle of Gods > Bebi > Black Star > Resurrection F > Shadow Dragon > Super 17