Do you think Freeza or Cold will ever acknowledge Cooler?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Captain Sauza
Beyond Newbie

Do you think Freeza or Cold will ever acknowledge Cooler?

Post by Captain Sauza » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:50 pm

As far as I know there's no DB media outside the video games where Freeza or King Cold acknowledge Cooler's existence. Do you think we'll ever get a DB movie where Cooler will get a name drop by one of them or do you think he'll forever remain the estranged brother and son that nobody talks about? Not even Toriyama mentions him.

I kinda feel sorry for the guy.
"We are Cooler's Armored Squadron!" *performs Sauza fighting pose*

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Do you think Freeza or Cold will ever acknowledge Cooler

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:57 pm

No.

I don't know how else to answer...
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:01 pm

This is what happens whenever you try to connect the manga storyline with the movies...

Do you think Androids 13, 14 and 15 will ever be acknowledge, even though it was said all these numbers went wrong?
Well, whatever. In the canon storyline, no. But hey... that's why we have games, isn't? :wink:

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:09 pm

We may get something where he is acknowledged by his family, but it won't be something Toriyama has had a hand in at least. He doesn't really seem to care about things he didn't have have a serious hand in with the story.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

AM Reflection
Not-So-Newbie

Post by AM Reflection » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:15 pm

Nope, never gonna happen. If Toriyama wanted the existence of Cooler to be a part of the main timeline, this new movie was the chance for it. Freeza could easily have made a simple remark mentioning Cooler the same time he
, but that apparently didn't happen.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:20 pm

No. Because according to Freeza, he's a prick. But seriosuly, I doubt Cooler will ever be officially acknowledged as Freeza's brother. Because A) It would create more inconsistencies with the original story and B) Toriyama most likely doesn't care enough, considering Cooler wasn't his creation.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:22 pm

Fan: "Do you think Freeza or Cold will ever acknowledge Cooler?"

Akira Toriyama: "Who??"

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:29 pm

...Cooler's Revenge and Return of Cooler is a standalone universe that takes elements from its surrounding and nowhere else. Cooler only exists in a few universes and not the ones that matter, like the ones where Freeza and Cold would acknowledge other family.

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:05 pm

The movie poster for Revival of F said "youngest child" so that pretty much confirms Cooler is a thing.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:15 pm

mAcChaos wrote:The movie poster for Revival of F said "youngest child" so that pretty much confirms Cooler is a thing.
Or that Frieza has siblings (of which Cooler is not one).
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:00 pm

I could see them doing that for a video game, perhaps.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:16 pm

mAcChaos wrote:The movie poster for Revival of F said "youngest child" so that pretty much confirms Cooler is a thing.
That wasn't on the poster. It was on a bonus thing handed out at AnimeJapan 2015, and the English on it was probably never intended to be read by native speakers who would read anything into it.

No need to trouble your mind over such trivialities.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:49 pm

I doubt it since Toriyama's interview only mention that Freeza was the only one born from King Cold. Coola was nowhere to be mentioned in that interview.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:22 am

As long as Toriyama is heavily involved, it's never gonna happen.
FoolsGil wrote:...Cooler's Revenge and Return of Cooler is a standalone universe that takes elements from its surrounding and nowhere else. Cooler only exists in a few universes and not the ones that matter, like the ones where Freeza and Cold would acknowledge other family.
Movie 5 takes place in the main anime timeline, since it's included in the official timeline of the series, and Coola appears in GT.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:15 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:As long as Toriyama is heavily involved, it's never gonna happen.
FoolsGil wrote:...Cooler's Revenge and Return of Cooler is a standalone universe that takes elements from its surrounding and nowhere else. Cooler only exists in a few universes and not the ones that matter, like the ones where Freeza and Cold would acknowledge other family.
Movie 5 takes place in the main anime timeline, since it's included in the official timeline of the series, and Coola appears in GT.
Except that Gohan had a power level higher well over 200,000 after the Freeza Saga, While the Armored Squadron members are all under 200,000. Yet in Cooler's Revenge Gohan was clearly manhandled and needed Piccolo to save him. Other discrepancies include Gohan having a tail again and Goku needing to be enraged to unlock Super Saiyan again, problems already dealt with in the past sagas. That's why Cooler's Revenge is in its own separate Universe, except for the GT Universe, which is separate from the normal anime timeline.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:05 am

Cooler is a good character, but his timeline does not make sense canon-wise. I don't think he'll ever get acknowledged because he does not exist in canon. It's so weird how muddy and convoluted the story got and tings like this don't help.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:01 pm

FoolsGil wrote:Except that Gohan had a power level higher well over 200,000 after the Freeza Saga, While the Armored Squadron members are all under 200,000. Yet in Cooler's Revenge Gohan was clearly manhandled and needed Piccolo to save him. Other discrepancies include Gohan having a tail again and Goku needing to be enraged to unlock Super Saiyan again, problems already dealt with in the past sagas. That's why Cooler's Revenge is in its own separate Universe, except for the GT Universe, which is separate from the normal anime timeline.
The official timeline of the franchise places it within the anime continuity, Coola appears in GT, and he is also mentioned in Xenoverse. Meaning that the V-Jump battle powers are just wrong.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:45 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:He doesn't really seem to care about things he didn't have have a serious hand in with the story.
That really says something since we already know he doesn't care about Dragon Ball.
AM Reflection wrote:Freeza could easily have made a simple remark mentioning Cooler the same time he
, but that apparently didn't happen.
Damn it, I should know not to click that button now that the new movie is out.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:00 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:That really says something since we already know he doesn't care about Dragon Ball.
That's a fairly rude thing to say, seeing how it was was the mistreatment of the franchise in Dragon Ball Evolution that got him fired up for everything he's added to the franchise in the last 2-3 years.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:36 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:Except that Gohan had a power level higher well over 200,000 after the Freeza Saga, While the Armored Squadron members are all under 200,000. Yet in Cooler's Revenge Gohan was clearly manhandled and needed Piccolo to save him. Other discrepancies include Gohan having a tail again and Goku needing to be enraged to unlock Super Saiyan again, problems already dealt with in the past sagas. That's why Cooler's Revenge is in its own separate Universe, except for the GT Universe, which is separate from the normal anime timeline.
The official timeline of the franchise places it within the anime continuity, Coola appears in GT, and he is also mentioned in Xenoverse. Meaning that the V-Jump battle powers are just wrong.
Official Timeline? Just because it fits in a certain place in the doesn't mean it's official. You claim that Gohan's power levels aren't legit, but you have no answer for Gohan's tail, or Goku's super impotency, so how official is your anime timeline really?