Consequences of the misuse of the Dragon Balls, in the manga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Consequences of the misuse of the Dragon Balls, in the manga

Post by coola » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:00 pm

In Majin Buu saga, Mr. Toriyama introduced idea of misusage of Dragon Balls, but before he had chance to expand it, he ended series, would you like Mr. Toriyama to expand this idea on one of future movies? Maybe Shadow Dragons owopuld also appear, but their design/characters would be completely different?
Last edited by coola on Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Consequences of misusage of Dragon Ball by Mr.oriyama

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:11 pm

You know, I'm kinda have a mixed opinion about the Shadow Dragons. For quite a while, I thought they were are really cool concept, but re-evaluating the concept and circumstances of the arc, I kinda hate the Shadow Dragons. I mean, it's really great idea in basic concept but when you think long and hard about it, it's total bullshit. It's effectively punishing the cast for trying to save their friends, family and the world when they had no other option.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:16 pm

Sometimes good intentions have bad consequences in life. As long as it's handled well and doesn't make it seem like any of the cast specifically knew what sort of bad majo was going to happen and they just kept it to themselves, it could work IMO. I mean, the DBs are getting really overused at this point and it would be nice if the cast actually worked to prevent these things from happening rather than just using the reset button afterward. Roll with the message at the end of the Kanzenban, that the Earth would be okay because of the people there, not the orbs.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

coola
I Live Here

Re: Consequences of misusage of Dragon Ball by Mr.Toriyama

Post by coola » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:27 pm

Hmm, maybe it wouldn't have to be Shadow Dragons, but something else, that put Earth/Universe at brink of destruction, and make both sets of Balls unable to be used anymore, not for very long time at least.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:55 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:You know, I'm kinda have a mixed opinion about the Shadow Dragons. For quite a while, I thought they were are really cool concept, but re-evaluating the concept and circumstances of the arc, I kinda hate the Shadow Dragons. I mean, it's really great idea in basic concept but when you think long and hard about it, it's total bullshit. It's effectively punishing the cast for trying to save their friends, family and the world when they had no other option.
The concept of the overuse of the dragon balls having a negative impact on the universe is really good for a final saga, imo. It's just that the entire Shadow Dragon saga was poorly executed. Everything about it. The saga painted the main characters as villains who did a bad deed by using the dragon balls to perform GOOD deeds by having these dragons "born" out of their requests, which is stupid. Goku fought every single one of the dragons on his own, which killed the opportunity for the development of other characters. And the dragons themselves really aren't memorable at all. Yi Xing Long looks cool, but he's bland as fuck.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:08 pm

The saga painted the main characters as villains who did a bad deed by using the dragon balls to perform GOOD deeds by having these dragons "born" out of their requests, which is stupid.
Well, dura lex, sed lex. If there were arbitrary rules against misuse- nobody would give a damn about your having good intention. If there were rules... my main complaint about is that there was no foreshadowing- that made whole saga a kind of ass pull.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:20 pm

Eire wrote:
The saga painted the main characters as villains who did a bad deed by using the dragon balls to perform GOOD deeds by having these dragons "born" out of their requests, which is stupid.
my main complaint about is that there was no foreshadowing- that made whole saga a kind of ass pull.
That's exactly my problem.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:31 pm

I never felt like that whole "misuse" bit was about something like Shadow Dragons or some cosmic consequence. To me, it was just kind of a, "I call hax," kind of line. It's kind of like how Godhood is like being part of some big bureaucratic system through the Dragonball cosmos thst has parallels to being a Government employee rather than being an omnipotent being. If actual consequences were to be explored, it would have to be in regards to "be careful what you wish for," but we've already seen that twice thanks to Pilaf in both GT and BoG.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:48 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Eire wrote:
my main complaint about is that there was no foreshadowing- that made whole saga a kind of ass pull.
That's exactly my problem.
Well, Old Kai did warn Goku and Vegeta about the consequences of misusing and abusing the Dragon Balls in the Majin Boo arc.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:52 pm

I have no problem with the Shadow Dragons. It's kind of fitting that dragons would be the final enemy.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:40 pm

I actually liked the way they handled the Shadow Dragon saga. The fact that there were 7 unknown Dragons out there gave the saga a uniquely eerie feel. It was an interesting change having the villains shrouded in mystery. Things also felt really hopeless with the Dragonballs being broken, and the way the different Shenrons represented different elements like Fire, Earth, Wind, Ice and such really gave it a constant feel of the end of the world. The fact that there weren't many people still around in the deserted cities added to the creepiness of it.

It was interesting how Toriyama brought up the idea of the Dragonballs being overused and then did nothing with it. I'd say Toei did a pretty good job at expanding on the idea. What I wouldn't mind seeing is a similar situation with the Namekian Dragonballs. It would only stand to reason that those Shadow Dragons would be much stronger.

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:59 pm

In a small way Toriyama already indirectly talked about the misusage of the Dragon Ball through the Battle of Gods movie. We see that the Kaioshin and his people are pretty much the guys in charge of creating planets and whatnot, so it does make sense that the Elder Kaioshin would be pretty annoyed that Goku and friends would be messing around with what could be considered his job.

Despite that, I'm not too keen on the idea of something like the evil dragons from GT. It just comes off as weird to me and I feel like the whole situation would require some weird explanation which would make everything really messy and feel unnatural to the series such as how strong the dragons would be and whatnot.

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:28 pm

I found it funny how Battle of Gods actually kind of legitimized the idea of the Dragon Balls having consequences because of misuse. Obviously they were used for something important, but the intent of their presence at the party was as a friggin Bingo prize. If that's not misuse, I don't know what is.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:32 pm

I would like to see Toriyama Evil Dragons versions but I'm more interested in this new God's stuff now.
If i had to choose, I defintely choose to see the 12 Gods of Desctruction.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:52 pm

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:I found it funny how Battle of Gods actually kind of legitimized the idea of the Dragon Balls having consequences because of misuse. Obviously they were used for something important, but the intent of their presence at the party was as a friggin Bingo prize. If that's not misuse, I don't know what is.
Yeah, I laughed at that for the same reason. They're just begging for Shadow Dragons at this point. :P

And yeah, I'd love to see how Toriyama himself would do something like the Shadow Dragons, though he'd likely do something else entirely if he ever decided to tackle the overuse of the Dragon Balls. Still, that's something I'd like to see.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:06 am

I understand why some people hate the shadow dragon concept, I mean, yeah, it kinda does ruin the series spirit. However, I still stand behind the concept, becuz the Z fighters need to have sense of loss, learn that death is a part of life and most things have limitations. It'd be like a car running out of battery and never starting again.

So, if Toriyama wants to reuse the concept, I'm fine by it. The series prior to Frieza and Cell have been a bit too nonsensical for my taste, at least when it comes to the dragon balls.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:10 am

DBs with consequences? I liked that. I just hated the Shadow Dragons. For me they were a waste of plot potential.

Just recently I had thought that the Dragon balls would affect the "natural balance".... but not from *this* universe. They could be affecting any (or all) of he other 12 Universes. Great catastrophes... reality warping... etc. That would prompt people or Gods from those universes to try to put an end to it. Destroy the Dragon Balls, their users or/and creators. That would raise the stakes quite a lot.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Re: Consequences of the misuse of the Dragon Balls, in the m

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:00 am

I always liked the idea of the shadow dragons. I mean they didn't have to revive people who died in the show due to the villains. Bad people kill good people in real life--that's how it goes. As for reviving characters like Yamcha, Tien, Chiaotzu, etc. I can understand it because they're good friends. But for the most part I think that dead characters (random earthlings) should stay dead, except for the Buu saga where they were needed. I just hope that the next movie, if it is the last one, deals with this somehow. Old Kai did mention the overuse of the dragon balls and never showed anything about it, so it would be nice for him to get to it in the next movie (if there is one).

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:44 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:I just hope that the next movie, if it is the last one, deals with this somehow. Old Kai did mention the overuse of the dragon balls and never showed anything about it, so it would be nice for him to get to it in the next movie (if there is one).
It was already done in Gt (Very badly) so I doubt Toriyama will revisit the concept.

It was a great concept and the perfect way to end the story but it's a shame it wasn't done the way it should have been.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TJVY
Beyond Newbie

Post by TJVY » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:22 am

I dream for the day an escape from hell scenario is done well, similarly how I hope that the Shadow Dragon Arc is someday done the justice that it deserves.
"It's not anime that sucks, it's the fans."