Dragon Ball: Madman sets vs. Blue Bricks?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Dragon Ball: Madman sets vs. Blue Bricks?

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri May 08, 2015 5:05 am

Wondering which of the two is the better choice? I actually have all the Madman sets, but the Blue Bricks actually seem to look pretty good.

Would they be considered an upgrade?
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball: Madman sets vs. Blue Bricks?

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 08, 2015 8:31 am

While I would consider the Blue Bricks an upgrade, is really isn't that great of upgrade, in all honesty. I mean Season 1 - 3 are plagued with blatant editing and remastering issues which reek of laziness on Funimation's part. And while the rest of the seasons (4 - 9) do get better, there are still some areas that Funimation could have done a lot better in remastering. Overall, if you're OCD about Dragon Ball releases, especially for those on Blu-Ray, go for it. But I don't really think you would need the Blue Bricks. As far as watching a constantly well remastered show goes, you can certainly live without them.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri May 08, 2015 8:41 am

Saga Sets > Blue Bricks

Pros:
+ Quality is unfiltered (it doesn't look blurry/smooth)
+ Japanese episode title credits
+ Bigger picture (without a zoom)

Cons:
- Episode 73 instead of actual subtitles it has dubtitles which is just all the more confusing to what they're really saying.
- Episode 81 skips to 83 part 2 during the break so to avoid it simply switch the audio track to English and then back to Japanese.
- You may notice some really bad compression on certain episodes because there are quite a lot of discs with way too many episodes, more than they should in fact.

Despite the cons, I'm still very satisfied with the Saga Sets and I'd take them over the Blue Bricks anyday.

By the way, Manga UK did not fix these issues (which is part of Season 3) as it was a straight copy of the Madman release with the only addition of Manga UK on it.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Fri May 08, 2015 7:21 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:While I would consider the Blue Bricks an upgrade, is really isn't that great of upgrade, in all honesty. I mean Season 1 - 3 are plagued with blatant editing and remastering issues which reek of laziness on Funimation's part. And while the rest of the seasons (4 - 9) do get better, there are still some areas that Funimation could have done a lot better in remastering. Overall, if you're OCD about Dragon Ball releases, especially for those on Blu-Ray, go for it. But I don't really think you would need the Blue Bricks. As far as watching a constantly well remastered show goes, you can certainly live without them.
I am pretty sure you are thinking about the orange bricks. :wink:
Also if you already have the Madman sets, stay with them. They are just as good as the Blue Bricks and they also have a lot of advantages than the Blue Bricks too which is what dbboxkaifan pointed out.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 08, 2015 7:35 pm

TheKingOfKamehamehas wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:While I would consider the Blue Bricks an upgrade, is really isn't that great of upgrade, in all honesty. I mean Season 1 - 3 are plagued with blatant editing and remastering issues which reek of laziness on Funimation's part. And while the rest of the seasons (4 - 9) do get better, there are still some areas that Funimation could have done a lot better in remastering. Overall, if you're OCD about Dragon Ball releases, especially for those on Blu-Ray, go for it. But I don't really think you would need the Blue Bricks. As far as watching a constantly well remastered show goes, you can certainly live without them.
I am pretty sure you are thinking about the orange bricks. :wink:
Also if you already have the Madman sets, stay with them. They are just as good as the Blue Bricks and they also have a lot of advantages than the Blue Bricks too which is what dbboxkaifan pointed out.
Well, the blue bricks are the lesser of two evils in my opinion compared to the orange bricks, regardless. But yeah, I'd stick with the Madman sets if you're not a hardcore Dragon Ball collector. The orange bricks at least get the job done.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri May 08, 2015 7:44 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Well, the blue bricks are the lesser of two evils in my opinion compared to the orange bricks, regardless. But yeah, I'd stick with the Madman sets if you're not a hardcore Dragon Ball collector. The orange bricks at least get the job done.
Huh? Are you confusing the Blue Bricks:
for the FUNi Season Sets?:
I don't understand what your posts are talking about, otherwise.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 08, 2015 7:57 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Well, the blue bricks are the lesser of two evils in my opinion compared to the orange bricks, regardless. But yeah, I'd stick with the Madman sets if you're not a hardcore Dragon Ball collector. The orange bricks at least get the job done.
Huh? Are you confusing the Blue Bricks:
for the FUNi Season Sets?:
I don't understand what your posts are talking about, otherwise.
I'm talking about the Funi Blu-Ray season sets.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Fri May 08, 2015 8:09 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: I'm talking about the Funi Blu-Ray season sets.
Right, so you misunderstood what this thread was about because that has nothing to do with OP's question. Maybe if you didn't spend all your time spamming one line posts or parroting opinions, you might actually have the time to read topics before you shitpost.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri May 08, 2015 8:10 pm

Then why did you even post in this topic in the first place?
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Fri May 08, 2015 8:14 pm

The Blue Bricks are pretty blurry thanks to aggressive DNR, and unlike the Madman/earlier FUNi saga sets they don't include the Japanese title cards. However, the improved bitrate is definitely worth the upgrade - especially if you watch your stuff on a big screen TV.

As for the zooming? I concede that it's pretty bad, but the show is still watchable. It's really down to your personal taste as to which you find worse.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri May 08, 2015 8:19 pm

Cons:
- Episode 73 instead of actual subtitles it has dubtitles which is just all the more confusing to what they're really saying.
- Episode 81 skips to 83 part 2 during the break so to avoid it simply switch the audio track to English and then back to Japanese.
I'm not sure what you're referring to, I own the Saga sets and they don't have this problem.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri May 08, 2015 11:05 pm

ABED wrote:
Cons:
I'm not sure what you're referring to, I own the Saga sets and they don't have this problem.
The sets I own do have this problem.

Whether I was watching on a big TV was mentioned.... it's a 55" TV so video issues can be somewhat noticeable.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 09, 2015 12:46 am

Right, so you misunderstood what this thread was about because that has nothing to do with OP's question.
Sorry, my mistake. My mind always interpreted "Blue Brick" as the blu-ray season sets. :oops:
Maybe if you didn't spend all your time spamming one line posts or parroting opinions, you might actually have the time to read topics before you shitpost.
Not cool, man. Not cool, at all. You don't have to attack me for making a mistake :|

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sat May 09, 2015 12:51 am

Quebaz wrote:Right, so you misunderstood what this thread was about because that has nothing to do with OP's question. Maybe if you didn't spend all your time spamming one line posts or parroting opinions, you might actually have the time to read topics before you shitpost.
While you're right about the fact that he clearly misunderstood the question, this is not the way we talk to each other here. You don't have to like everyone, but personal insults are not appropriate.
ABED wrote:I'm not sure what you're referring to, I own the Saga sets and they don't have this problem.
I think those issues were unique to the Madman version (which apparently carried over to the Manga UK version as well). I don't remember the FUNimation version having those issues, but I sold my copy a long time ago.
-Rachel

Zenkai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai » Sat May 09, 2015 1:00 am

Quebaz wrote:
Right, so you misunderstood what this thread was about because that has nothing to do with OP's question. Maybe if you didn't spend all your time spamming one line posts or parroting opinions, you might actually have the time to read topics before you shitpost.
It was an honest mistake. The op didn't specifically say which series he was talking about and 'Blu-ray' does have a variation of the color 'blue' in its name.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat May 09, 2015 1:11 am

I believe that the Madman and "Blue Brick" quality is similar. It depends what you really want out of the quality. Do you care if it looks a lot like the Dragon Box? Is that a priority for you?

QUALITY

Here's a comparison with using MPC-HC screenshots (someone on this very site recommended taking screenshots using MPC to keep the original colors, etc.)

Dragon Box

Singles

"Blue Bricks

Dragon Box

Singles

"Blue Bricks"

Dragon Box

Singles

"Blue Bricks"

Dragon Box

Singles

"Blue Bricks"

You be the judge on the quality yourself. After all, it's your opinion.

PRESENTATION
You be the judge as far as presentation goes. The "Blue Bricks" are very uniformed sets. They are the same color, they have the same look to them, the only real difference is the picture on the front cover. The background looks the same. The discs look the same. The singles also have this, but they are much more colorful. Plus, the "Blue Bricks" are basically paper squares, while the singles are actual disc cases. The "Blue Bricks" take up more space also.

DISC COUNT
The "Blue Brick" release has 25 discs in total. The singles have 22 discs in total.

Ultimately, it's up to you. I got the "Blue Bricks" so that I could watch them on my PS3/4, to be honest. I mean that and the fact that I have collector's syndrome. But quite honestly, I like the Madman DVDs. If you have the choice between the two, I'd say probably get the "Blue Bricks," but if you already have the Madman DVDs and you're satisfied and you're not a super collector, then just stick with them in my opinion.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat May 09, 2015 9:39 am

ABED wrote:I'm not sure what you're referring to, I own the Saga sets and they don't have this problem.
The Madman versions (R4, R2) suffer from those issues while the R1 doesn't thankfully. Could someone point out which Saga Set & discs that episode 73 and 81 belong to?

My R4 Saga Sets are in a different place so I can't check currently and if I stumble across a deal for these two discs (R1 edt.) I'd get 'em.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

sayian_nation_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sayian_nation_ » Sat May 09, 2015 10:40 am

The only thing you can do is buy them both. That's what I did lol. I'm giving it a while before I fully watch the series again on the Saga sets. I'd love to have the dragon box though as well, someday.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat May 09, 2015 11:32 am

Saiyan_nation_ wrote:The only thing you can do is buy them both. That's what I did lol. I'm giving it a while before I fully watch the series again on the Saga sets. I'd love to have the dragon box though as well, someday.

You know, I went on eBay to find a Dragon Ball Dragon Box for you, thinking I'd find several for a few hundred dollars. I don't know what your financial situation was like, but I thought I'd show you what they got going on there anyway. But the only ONE I found was for like $980 or something. YIKES! I saw so many of them on eBay for WAY less just a few weeks ago.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat May 09, 2015 11:55 am

dbboxkaifan wrote: The Madman versions (R4, R2) suffer from those issues while the R1 doesn't thankfully. Could someone point out which Saga Set & discs that episode 73 and 81 belong to?
It's the "Fortuneteller Baba Saga" set, which used to be pretty expensive due to its low print run, but a quick Ebay search reveals it's pretty cheap nowadays.

And yeah, the problems with this set only apply to the Madmad/Manga UK versions, the Funi version is fine.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!