Would you have preferred Goku not keeping the God power

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Would you have preferred Goku not keeping the God power

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat May 16, 2015 2:16 pm

So I was thinking about BoG and one of my favourite lines from Goku that goes something like "I never knew this world existed. A power so great that I'll never be able to reach it".

I'll just make a point in saying that I haven't seen the newest movie yet so I'm putting that aside for now.

I thought it would've been more interesting in a way if Goku hadn't kept the SSG power and had reverted back to the way he was at the start of the movie once the form wore off. I thought it would have been more inspirational if he'd returned completely to normal then dedicated the rest of his life to reaching that level of power on his own through rigorous training. Basically something he'd admitted was impossible but trying anyway because that's what he's all about.

And then his years of training with Uub could also be seen as a way for him to try and reach that level, in addition to training a new hero and just fighting for the fun of it. And Super Saiyan 4 could have been him finally achieving that level of power on his own. Listening to some of the dialogue in Xenoverse got me thinking how cool it'd be if they made a movie set in GT time where Super Saiyan 4 Goku takes on Beerus, or maybe one of the other gods.

I love BoG the way it is, but does anyone else feel like Goku simply absorbing the God power lessens the impact of what he said to Beerus earlier?

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Would you have preferred Goku not keeping the God power

Post by One_Instance » Sat May 16, 2015 5:33 pm

I like this where this idea is headed, but I'd like to see him achieve a different form of SSJ4 than the one we saw in GT. Not because I think GT is something that should be abolished, but because I like the idea of having an officially made non-canon counterpart of Dragon Ball. I'd actually like to see more of things like that, sort of the way Godzilla has the majority of its series being non-canon, though I wouldn't want it to be the majority when it comes to Dragon Ball.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 16, 2015 6:07 pm

I think Goku keeping the God power provides intrigue to Goku's character. Because now that he has the power as he own, it will be interesting to how much the God power may go to his head. I mean, we already saw shades of arrogance from Goku in ROF, so obviously having the God power seems to reconstructing his nature and approach in fighting in some ways.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat May 16, 2015 6:09 pm

I'm still not convinced he does keep it after all this new stuff. I'd rather wait and see how everything plays out before indulging in idle speculation.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat May 16, 2015 8:28 pm

One_Instance wrote:I like this where this idea is headed, but I'd like to see him achieve a different form of SSJ4 than the one we saw in GT. Not because I think GT is something that should be abolished, but because I like the idea of having an officially made non-canon counterpart of Dragon Ball. I'd actually like to see more of things like that, sort of the way Godzilla has the majority of its series being non-canon, though I wouldn't want it to be the majority when it comes to Dragon Ball.
Actually the Godzilla continuity is pretty complicated, up until the shift from the Showa to the Heisei era the first movie and all of the other movies were in canon to each other, but then they made the Heisei movies sequels to the first movie disregarding all the other Showa movies, and then they started a new Millennium series, many of which were canon to the first movie but not even canon to each other. Then there was the 1998 (terrible) American Godzilla movie (basically the DBE of the Godzilla franchise) but they decided to make it canon to Millennium but retcon it to not be the real Godzilla, and now we have the 2014 Godzilla which seems to be in its own continuity but if Toho makes more Godzilla movies they might tie it in somehow like they did with the 1998 one.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat May 16, 2015 10:05 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:I'm still not convinced he does keep it after all this new stuff. I'd rather wait and see how everything plays out before indulging in idle speculation.
Same. The impression I get is that he understood how to manipulate his ki so that it mimics the effects of SSJ God.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Sat May 16, 2015 10:58 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Actually the Godzilla continuity is pretty complicated, up until the shift from the Showa to the Heisei era the first movie and all of the other movies were in canon to each other, but then they made the Heisei movies sequels to the first movie disregarding all the other Showa movies, and then they started a new Millennium series, many of which were canon to the first movie but not even canon to each other. Then there was the 1998 (terrible) American Godzilla movie (basically the DBE of the Godzilla franchise) but they decided to make it canon to Millennium but retcon it to not be the real Godzilla, and now we have the 2014 Godzilla which seems to be in its own continuity but if Toho makes more Godzilla movies they might tie it in somehow like they did with the 1998 one.
I realize that, I'm a big Godzilla fan, but really the only movie that is officially canon is the first movie. I don't think any of the timelines have been declared as canon by Toho.