Poll: What's worse, EoB or DB Minus?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Poll: What's worse, EoB or DB Minus?

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:27 am

Yes it's another poll...
I'm really curious to find out what you guys think is worse, Episode of Bardock or Dragon Ball Minus.
Both are said to "destroy the character of Bardock'' as well as "hurt the story of Goku".

I wanna know which one you think "hurts" Dragon Ball more.

EoB:
Doctor.
Sora Saiyan
irreality
Lord Beerus
TRL
Marco Polo
LightBing
FoolsGil
fexus
MCDaveG
dae428
funrush
ParkerAL
DB Minus:
SSJ God Gogeta
AjayLikesGaming
FortuneSSJ
Dbzejo
DoomieDoomie911
Sintzu
fadeddreams5
TheGmGoken
shinmaru
DBZAOTA482
Alex9196
Kakacarrottop
Avery
Ex-Dubbie369
Last edited by SSJ God Gogeta on Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:47 am, edited 23 times in total.
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Poll: What's worse, EoB or DB Minus?

Post by Doctor. » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:11 am

Oh, easily Episode of Bardock, no question. For reasons I already explained in the other thread about Super Saiyan Bardock.

Don't get me wrong, Minus is bad, it opens up plot holes, inconsistencies, it's unnecessary and it's trying to replace the much superior TV special... it's just that I hate Episode of Bardock with a passion.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:00 am

EoB. I'm probably one of the only people here who sorta liked DB minus. :P

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:06 am

Dragon Ball Minus without a doubt. Episode of Bardock was a harmless and silly side story, but Minus actually had significance given the author. No question.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:12 am

Dragon Ball Minus, because it was Toriyama himself that wrote that. That hurts.
Episode of Bardock is just a what-if story wrote by a Bardock fangirl, and advertising for Dragon Ball Heroes.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Dbzejo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzejo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:11 am

DB minus easily... Episode of Bardock was never meant to be taken seriously, and i liked that special. DB minus came directly from Toriyama and destroyed everything we knew and loved about Bardock from a special that Toriyama himself was very fond of. He canonized Bardock because of that special. I just dont get DB- ...

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:01 pm

Dragon Ball Minus by far. So, so unnecessary... :problem:
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:02 pm

EoB -- it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I actually like DB Minus. The only problem I have with it is Goku being like 3 years old.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:39 pm

Minus cause it was made to replace a great story that everyone loves and tried to change a key element in Goku's history for no reason unlike EOB which was made to answer questions that were never addressed before,sure a lot of fans don't like it but as least it tried to build on established material instead of rewriting it and making it worse for no reason.

Hopefully the events in Minus won't make their way into Super and stay where they belong in that chapter and hopefully be forgotten.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:31 pm

Episode Of Bardock. I've already explained why I hate it so much in detail. I'm pretty indifferent to Dragon Ball Minus. It's average at best.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:42 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:It's like Toriyama is doing everything in his ability to stray away from a serious story.
I think that became pretty obvious when Vegeta in RF revealed that he actually cares for planet Vegeta at least a bit, and yet it was never seriously addressed that it was Beerus who asked Freeza to destroy it for him. Instead, it was treated as a two-second gag. This is supposed to be something serious, Beerus' existence is supposed to be something serious, Goku & Vegeta being all friendly with him doesn't make sense when the dude literally considers blowing them both up, along with the Earth, every ten minutes, and agreed to Planet Vegeta's destruction. It could have been used to provoke some mistrust between Vegeta and Beerus and could be developed until later on Vegeta rebels against Beerus and Goku finds himself incapable of taking a side.

Edit: Stop deleting your posts!!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:47 pm

I vote Dragon Ball Minus.

Don't get me wrong. EoB is terrible. I mean, the entire thing consists of the worst ideas ever made in this series. It trivializes the SSJ legend, it diminishes Goku's accomplishments by making him the son of THE SSJ, the entire story makes no sense, and the tone is ruined by the presence of Pokemon-looking creatures. I mean, it's bad. It's really, really bad. That said, I see it as a small harmless side story with no bearing to the main timeline. It was just a crappy little special thrown together for the sake of putting SSJ Bardock on screen.

Dragon Ball Minus, on the other hand, replaces the original special altogether, serves as the true story, and may even get referenced in Super since it was made by Toriyama. Besides the fact that now Goku's backstory is even closer to Superman's, the thing that bugs me about this story the most is how benevolent it paints Bardock. He's shown killing aliens, but these creatures are so dehumanized, it appears as though he's a hero doing the right thing. It's an example of how Toriyama is doing everything in his ability to stray away from a serious story. The saiyans are supposed to be savages, but god forbid he shows that on-screen. The story does the same thing as EoB: it attempts to make Goku seem special through his lineage. Only here, it's done by making his parents stand out by being so loving and pure-hearted, possibly only killing out of necessity. At least Bardock is still an apathetic loner in EoB.
Doctor. wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:It's like Toriyama is doing everything in his ability to stray away from a serious story.
I think that became pretty obvious when Vegeta in RF revealed that he actually cares for planet Vegeta at least a bit, and yet it was never seriously addressed that it was Beerus who asked Freeza to destroy it for him. Instead, it was treated as a two-second gag. This is supposed to be something serious, Beerus' existence is supposed to be something serious, Goku & Vegeta being all friendly with him doesn't make sense when the dude literally considers blowing them both up, along with the Earth, every ten minutes, and agreed to Planet Vegeta's destruction. It could have been used to provoke some mistrust between Vegeta and Beerus and could be developed until later on Vegeta rebels against Beerus and Goku finds himself incapable of taking a side.

Edit: Stop deleting your posts!!
lol. Whoops. Rewrote it.

But yeah, I agree. =(
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

TRL
Beyond Newbie

Post by TRL » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:04 pm

Well making Bardock a little less evil, makes sense in a way. Because it's kinda crazy having Goku's entire personality only be based on brain damage from hitting his head. Maybe he has some of his friendliness from his father. I still think Bardock was appropriately evil in DB Minus.
What I don't get though is why Goku had to be older. Did Toriyama just want to canonize the Bardock special but remembered it wrong? Or did Toei force him to do it since sending of such small babies is neglect and not appropriate for today's japan anymore?

At least DB Minus deminished Goku's character a lot less than that EoB mess. Toriyama should've used the design of Chilled for Frieza's new form in the movie. :D Now that would've been a shitstorm!

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:36 pm

EoB is the worst. It isn't even canon.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:36 pm

EoB for me; it's just so forced trying make Bardock a special and mythical character.

DB Minus has valuable points: Saiyans aren't all ruthless warriors, Freeza actually gathers them during a month providing common sense that only four Saiyans survived. Doesn't idolize Bardock; just a bloodthirsty warrior that kinda cares for his son, (influenced by Gine) not particularly powerful, that suspected of Freeza and challenge him to no avail. The last part doesn't appear in Minus but in the manga Freeza remembers Bardock as the Saiyan that stood up to him.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:44 pm

Sora Saiyan wrote:EoB. I'm probably one of the only people here who sorta liked DB minus. :P
Do you like it better than the original Bardock special? Just curious.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:58 pm

Db Minus suck. I actually enjoyed EOB as it too me was awesome. Db Minus had zero entertaining features. Gaffer explained it best.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:13 pm

Minus, because it was unnecessary and just brought confusion we already have a good story in Bardock special. I see EoB just as an advertisement for SSj Bardock, for games.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:35 pm

Doctor. wrote:Oh, easily Episode of Bardock, no question. For reasons I already explained in the other thread about Super Saiyan Bardock.

Don't get me wrong, Minus is bad, it opens up plot holes, inconsistencies, it's unnecessary and it's trying to replace the much superior TV special... it's just that I hate Episode of Bardock with a passion.
Can you name these plot holes/inconsistencies from DB Minus please? I agree with you, it's just I really want to keep a list of them because I keep forgetting what they are.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:39 pm

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Oh, easily Episode of Bardock, no question. For reasons I already explained in the other thread about Super Saiyan Bardock.

Can you name these plot holes/inconsistencies from DB Minus please? I agree with you, it's just I really want to keep a list of them because I keep forgetting what they are.
The major plot hole is how Raditz even found Goku. Bardock and Gine stole a pod, how could Raditz know which pod contained Goku? And Freeza didn't know about Goku surviving, either, so how could have Raditz known about Goku escaping the planet's destruction? Even if Vegeta and Raditz somehow knew that a space pod left planet Vegeta before its destruction, how could Raditz possibly know that it was Goku and not just a random Saiyan?

The inconsistency is Raditz saying Goku had come to destroy Earth, but you can just say Raditz assumed stuff and was wrong, I guess.