FUNi teased probably (but unconfirmed) picking up DB Super

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

FUNi teased probably (but unconfirmed) picking up DB Super

Post by Dayspring » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:53 pm

At several cons, and now also on Twitter, FUNimation has been sharing this image https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/6 ... 89/photo/1

According to the rep here in Montreal last weekend (edit: meaning the tiny anime section of the HMV booth at the Montreal ComicCon that had nothing but FUNi products), it means "Goku's not dead." When asked if that was a spoiler for RoF, the rep said no, it refers to what comes next. When asked what that means, she said we'll just have to wait and see, but "whatever it is, you know it's just going to be super." She then seemed incredibly pleased with herself.

I take it to mean they're implying the franchise isn't dead and that they're dubbing Super.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: FUNi teased probably (but unconfirmed) picking up DB Sup

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:58 pm

They have an industry panel today so I guess we won't have to wait long to see if this tease comes to anything, I doubt that they are dubbing it, if it is Super related then they'll probably just announce they've licensed it. I personally hope it's something relating to Kai, I don't mind waiting on Super for the time being.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:06 pm

"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:21 pm

That image has nothing to do with Super, unfortunately. As fadeddreams5 pointed out, it's a still image from one of their marketing campaigns for Resurrection F, where they made fake "Recruitment Videos" trying to recruit people into Freeza's army. They're also presenting the videos as though they're "hacking" into Earth's day-to-day video transmissions (similar to the scene from Man of Steel when Zod interrupted the broadcasts of Earth to announce his arrival and for Kal-El to turn himself in), hence the weird characters and "Transmission Received"-type lingo.

It's actually a pretty clever campaign, in my opinion, but completely unrelated to Super.

Having said that, there's absolutely no way FUNimation doesn't know about Super. No way whatsoever. I wouldn't be surprised if they're already trying to negotiate the licensing rights, but it's the policy of anime licensing companies to act like nothing's going on until they can make an official announcement ('cause talking publicly about money issues would be rather unprofessional).
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:35 pm

In that case, the way they handled the image at Montreal ComicCon was piss-poorly done.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:03 pm

The image explanation was handled poorly, but there is going to be a new 'F' arc in Super. Let's hope the rep got their promo images mixed up and let something slip a little early. If Otakon comes and goes without any type of DBZ announcement then I'll be a little surprised.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co