Why isn't Dragon Ball Z on iTunes?!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PhoenixEX
Regular

Why isn't Dragon Ball Z on iTunes?!

Post by PhoenixEX » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:44 pm

Recently I've decided to make the transition from physical to digital (games and movies since I've been digital with music for years now) since that's where the market is pretty much headed...but to my surprise I just noticed that Dragon Ball isn't on iTunes. All there is is that crappy live-action Evolution film and Battle of Gods. I'm assuming that's because Fox handled the distribution of BoG for the most part. But...where is the anime? There are other FUNimation anime(s?) on iTunes, but no Dragon Ball, Z, or GT. If I remember correctly, all 291 episodes of Z are up on the PlayStation Store but I don't want to purchase them through there since I'd rather have everything in one place. Anyone know why they're not on iTunes?
One World. 🌐 🕊

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Why isn't Dragon Ball Z on iTunes?!

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:12 pm

They just don't have the rights to the series.

By the way, Hulu has some of Z and all of the original Dragon Ball if you're interested.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:51 am

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:By the way, Hulu has some of Z and all of the original Dragon Ball if you're interested.
Be warned about the series on Hulu. It uses Kikuchi's score and not Faulconer's (in case you wanted the U.S. music). It's also seemingly the orange brick version and not HD.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:54 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:
DoomieDoomie911 wrote:By the way, Hulu has some of Z and all of the original Dragon Ball if you're interested.
Be warned about the series on Hulu. It uses Kikuchi's score and not Faulconer's (in case you wanted the U.S. music). It's also seemingly the orange brick version and not HD.
Well, that's kind of underwhelming. Not in the aspect that it's Kikuchi's score being used but the fact that the show isn't in HD. But then again, I can't access Hulu here in the UK, so I guess it doesn't really matter for me.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:05 pm

Why would people expect DBZ to be in HD if the original was not HD?

I hope Hulu gets the rest of DBZ or Kai, though -- it would be good to have one place to see it all.

I think they have DBZ on Netflix in Latinamerica? Or is it just BoG?

(incidentally, in googling the last fact, I found that there is a lot of news coverage for DBS in the main newspaper in my home country of Peru. Like, episode summaries for each episode. That is crazy, but amusing. :)

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:11 pm

irreality wrote:Why would people expect DBZ to be in HD if the original was not HD?
DBZ was shot on film, so the series definitely can be mastered in HD. Unfortunately, a full, proper restoration of the entire series still hasn't happened.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Alex9196
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alex9196 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:42 pm

i tried finding vegetas theme as a ringtone on itunes. gladly it wasnt there, if it was i would never answer a call but just listen to the music. allthough to be far i dont answer calls anyway. :D