Cure Dragon (Latin American) Watches DBZ dubbed in english.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Cure Dragon (Latin American) Watches DBZ dubbed in english.

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:21 am

Soooo I will try to watch the show in English, starting from episode one of the Ocean dub. As a Latin American, who grew up on Kikuchi scored and uncut scripted DBZ, I decided I could try to share some of my comments. I have read a lot of opinions over the years and I will coment on those as well. I adore the Kikuchi score but I'm open minded

EPISODE 1-The Arrival Of Raditz.

I like the music, I dont hate it. It feels like Power Rangers stuff at times, did Ron Wasserman work on this? And "Eyes' on the birdie" line is bad.
Worried to death? I love that we are still allowed to say that!
I love Chi Chi's voice, really cute. And Goku is not half bad
I love Saffron Henderson so far. I thought she was going to be awful on a stick from what I heard but its nice.
OH GOD TROPICAL MUSIC FOR KAME HOUSE NOOOOOO
Oh look, Bulma's voice is nice. MASTER ROSHI IS GODAWFUL LOL.
GOD KRILLIN WHAT DID THEY DO TO YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.
So Yamcha is playing baseball in this version? Weird. In Kai he cheated on Bulma. I wonder which version is in the Japanese version...
The sound effects are from the Japanese version that is nice. 4Kids One Piece didnt even give you that luxury.
The Editing leaves REALLY weird pacing in the music. Like really sudden switches. The music is nice. I'm serious. I thought I would loathe the shit out of it. Then again maybe the fact that I have the uncut Latin American version to watch makes me more lenient.
Now the script is really accurate for the second half.
God, I take back what I said about Saffron, she cries really weird for Gohan.

Veredict.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Son Gohan 1995

Re: Cure Dragon (Latin American) Watches DBZ dubbed in engli

Post by Son Gohan 1995 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:31 pm

Lol, keep your eye on the birdie is really bad. Just wait until you see the stupid joke that is coming up.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:48 pm

I do think Ron Wasserman helped a little with the score but I'm not certain. Didn't he do jat least Rock the Dragon? I know Levy usually gets full credit. I find it appropriate for the more sci-fi aspects of Z but I wouldn't pick it over Kikuchi. Great for Saturday Morning stuff.

As for Yamcha and baseball, you'll see. I hope you enjoy the series in English but know that (especially with the Ocean Dub and early parts of FUNimation's dub) there's some pretty awful lines and censorship.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:18 pm

bkev wrote:I do think Ron Wasserman helped a little with the score but I'm not certain. Didn't he do jat least Rock the Dragon? I know Levy usually gets full credit. I find it appropriate for the more sci-fi aspects of Z but I wouldn't pick it over Kikuchi. Great for Saturday Morning stuff.
https://marvel.com/news/movies/23721/ma ... _childhood
According to this interview from a year ago, he did the entire score by himself but not "Rock the Dragon", although the person singing definitely sounds like Ron. None of this really surprises me, since Levy and Haim Saban constantly got credited for music they didn't actually compose.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

noham-el
Not-So-Newbie

Post by noham-el » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:24 am

Oh, cool concept of thread :thumbup: I'm french, who grew up too on Kikuchi score (and japanese screams in the French's version), and I watched it a few years ago the English TV Version.
The Ocean part is really not that bad, I even think it is the best dubbing that English's Speakers had (if we expect DBKai, who's awesome too).
I really really love Vegeta's voice, and the Goku's voice have the childish/innocent-part than many of others dubbers missed.

The mixing of the music is... a kinda opressive. But the music of that Ocean's part is decent, generic, but really enjoyable.
The cut and the reediting are sometimes destabilizing (when you know the original), but i seen worse.

And for the dialogs... when i watched it, my english was not enough good (and always today...) for understand everything, but I hated a majority of Krillin's moment (you know, the typical "90's American Sidekicks character" jokes... my god...), that +the special "jokes" musics behind+the "90's cool" voice of Krillin, arf... How destroy a character. (the second part Funi/"Faulconer" version is not better for him, unfortunaly, it's even worse...).

Expect that, i really like that dub, Goku sound perfect, Vegeta sound awesome, Gohan sound like a child (unlike the Funi's dub). The Goku vs. Vegeta episodes are really cool and exciting to follow. So yeah, really cool dub. I'll watched it again one day. Unfortunaly, after the episode 53, the voices changes and this is horrible, it's become really a pain to follow the new episodes with theses new voices and music.
I think the cast was too inexperienced and do not necessarily correspond to the characters (Goku... Vegeta... Gohan... :cry:). In DBZKai (and BoG), that cast is really better, more experienced, more concerned, and with a better interpretation or voices (Gohan is better in Kai).

I'm stay curious to see oneday a Dragon Ball Kai with the Ocean's cast. It will be awesome, undoubtedly.
"Sorry for my bad english."