Why did Funi change Kuririn to "Krillin"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1289
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:40 pm

Re: Why did Funi change Kuririn to "Krillin"

Postby ShadowBardock89 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:47 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:To probably make his name easier to say. The bigger question is why Freeza became Fr(i)eza. What was the point of switching an "e" with an "i" when it's pronounced the same in both languages?


The spelling makes sense..... IN GERMAN!!! The word "die" is pronounced as "'dee" and is equivalent to the English word "the," while "drei" (which means "three" in German) is pronounced as "drigh."
Unless Freeza is pronounced differently in German, I can't think of the reason why would they change the name. But, that's for German. I can't think of any reason for the English version other than translation error.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

User avatar
Avenged
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1023
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Why did Funi change Kuririn to "Krillin"

Postby Avenged » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:02 am

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:
Avenged wrote:It wasn't exactly changed. It's just the same translation as Zelda is originally Zeruda and Link is Rinku.

but those are just Link and Zelda run through Japanese accents. They were always supposed to be "Zelda" and "Link" not "Rinku" and "Zeruda", they just end up that way with the Japanese's hatred of the letter "L".


I still think the whole Kuririn spelling is the same case, atleast to some degree. Zelda being spelled Zeruda as a pronunciation seems like Kuririn was the same case.

Heres the cover to Zelda 1 in JP

Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

User avatar
B
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5560
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:15 am
Contact:

Re: Why did Funi change Kuririn to "Krillin"

Postby B » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:38 pm

Avenged wrote:I still think the whole Kuririn spelling is the same case, atleast to some degree.

The pun is not apparent when it comes to the "Krillin" spelling; "Zelda" and "Link" don't have that going on.

See also: "Dabura", "Guldo", "Recoome".
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3423
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Why did Funi change Kuririn to "Krillin"

Postby TheBlackPaladin » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:46 pm

As (highly, almost certainly) unintentional as this is, "Krillin" does have a pun of its own going on. Krill are small fish, so one could still think of it (loosely) as a pun on Kuririn's--or, perhaps more appropriately here, Krillin's--short height.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei wrote:"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
Pokewhiz7
I Live Here
Posts: 2195
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: United States

Re: Why did Funi change Kuririn to "Krillin"

Postby Pokewhiz7 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:54 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:As (highly, almost certainly) unintentional as this is, "Krillin" does have a pun of its own going on. Krill are small fish, so one could still think of it (loosely) as a pun on Kuririn's--or, perhaps more appropriately here, Krillin's--short height.

Same thing with Jheese.

Jheese -> Cheese
Jeice -> Juice

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16098
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Why did Funi change Kuririn to "Krillin"

Postby VegettoEX » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:58 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:Same thing with Jheese.

Jheese -> Cheese
Jeice -> Juice

I honestly find this a huge stretch, especially since I see so many people end up writing his name as "Chase" because it's unintelligible.

Same thing goes with the stretch of "Turles" making its own pun on "turnip". No... it really doesn't! :)
:: [| Michael "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| VegettoEX.com |] ::

User avatar
Herms
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 10550
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Jupiter
Contact:

Re: Why did Funi change Kuririn to "Krillin"

Postby Herms » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:13 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:As (highly, almost certainly) unintentional as this is, "Krillin" does have a pun of its own going on. Krill are small fish, so one could still think of it (loosely) as a pun on Kuririn's--or, perhaps more appropriately here, Krillin's--short height.

As it happens, that's basically what Jaco's name is a pun on. Small fish, that is.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

User avatar
Pokewhiz7
I Live Here
Posts: 2195
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: United States

Re: Why did Funi change Kuririn to "Krillin"

Postby Pokewhiz7 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:40 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I honestly find this a huge stretch, especially since I see so many people end up writing his name as "Chase" because it's unintelligible.

Same thing goes with the stretch of "Turles" making its own pun on "turnip". No... it really doesn't! :)


It is a stretch, granted, but in my defense, FUNimation/whoever was responsible for the script of Budokai Tenkaichi 3 thought it was close enough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgNzd5y ... u.be&t=558

User avatar
Puto
I Live Here
Posts: 2651
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:40 am
Location: Portugal, Oeiras
Contact:

Re: Why did Funi change Kuririn to "Krillin"

Postby Puto » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:18 am

VegettoEX wrote:
Pokewhiz7 wrote:Same thing with Jheese.

Jheese -> Cheese
Jeice -> Juice

I honestly find this a huge stretch, especially since I see so many people end up writing his name as "Chase" because it's unintelligible.

If anything, if I heard it without any writing to guide me I'd feel tempted to write it "Jace".
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

User avatar
Avenged
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1023
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Why did Funi change Kuririn to "Krillin"

Postby Avenged » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:58 am

So is it not possible that it was spelled Kuririn due to pronunciation? We all know how "l" and "r" get mistranslated all the time, not only in anime but games.
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

OutlawTorn
Regular
Posts: 587
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:32 pm

Re: Why did Funi change Kuririn to "Krillin"

Postby OutlawTorn » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:15 am

I think "Kuririn/Krillin" being a matter of pronunciation is fair, especially as a non-Japanese speaker would have difficulty forming the words. I should add that just because "x" can say it properly does not mean "y" can, and that applies to saying words from any language. Take, for instance, Gewürztraminer. Once person could do a passable pronunciation whereas the next may not be able to wrap their tongue around it (a "w" is not really expected to make a "v" sound) and mangle it horribly. Then there is the issue of stressed syllables, as it is likely most English speakers would stress the middle syllable producing Ku-RI-rin, which is just awkward to say and would likely be like running nails down a chalkboard to the unforgiving fanbase who know how to pronounce it. Long before I ever heard it spoken aloud, I would have stressed the middle syllable of "Naruto" which, I've heard would make many people cringe.

Even if you know how to pronounce it, it may still trip you up when trying to say it out loud, I know it often does for me. It's like how my mom has trouble with the pronunciation of "Claude" which does not rhyme with "clawed." Even though she's heard it rhyming with "glowed" it still trips her up whenever she tries to say it and can come out with "Cloud."

Avenged wrote:Heres the cover to Zelda 1 in JP



But the cover doesn't spell anything related to "Zelda" in English, unlike the "Hyrule Fantasy" (why doesn't it say Hairaru Fantaji when that's how it would be pronounced by Japanese speakers?) bit. As best as I understand, there are specific sounds the kanji represent and writing them out would get the Ze-ru-da pronunciation. In the top right it even says "ZEL" as opposed to "ZER"

It's just like "Doragon Boru" which is the Japanese pronunciation for "Dragon Ball" (there's that "ru" sound from "Zeruda").

But... considering how late it is, it's entirely possible I misinterpreted your post. Did I make any sense, or did I think you were saying the opposite of what you were really saying and was, therefore, arguing your point?

User avatar
Avenged
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1023
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Why did Funi change Kuririn to "Krillin"

Postby Avenged » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:17 am

OutlawTorn wrote:
Avenged wrote:Heres the cover to Zelda 1 in JP



But the cover doesn't spell anything related to "Zelda" in English, unlike the "Hyrule Fantasy" (why doesn't it say Hairaru Fantaji when that's how it would be pronounced by Japanese speakers?) bit. As best as I understand, there are specific sounds the kanji represent and writing them out would get the Ze-ru-da pronunciation. In the top right it even says "ZEL" as opposed to "ZER"

It's just like "Doragon Boru" which is the Japanese pronunciation for "Dragon Ball" (there's that "ru" sound from "Zeruda").

But... considering how late it is, it's entirely possible I misinterpreted your post. Did I make any sense, or did I think you were saying the opposite of what you were really saying and was, therefore, arguing your point?


Yeah I was just simply comparing the two franchises in terms of pronunciation. To me, it just seems it was spelled Kuririn due to pronunciation and the obvious JP hatred for the letter L. I could be wrong, havn't researched it specifically.
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

User avatar
Gonstead
I Live Here
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:33 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Why did Funi change Kuririn to "Krillin"

Postby Gonstead » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:05 am

Puto wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:
Pokewhiz7 wrote:Same thing with Jheese.

Jheese -> Cheese
Jeice -> Juice

I honestly find this a huge stretch, especially since I see so many people end up writing his name as "Chase" because it's unintelligible.

If anything, if I heard it without any writing to guide me I'd feel tempted to write it "Jace".

To add on to the many spellings, we have Jayce and The Wheeled Warriors as an official spelling of the name, though non-DB example of course.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"

MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

SaintEvolution
Regular
Posts: 643
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 2:56 pm

Re: Why did Funi change Kuririn to "Krillin"

Postby SaintEvolution » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:28 pm

Again, not only the Funimation or other english dubs did that. But many others like the french for example.



But by the way, I prefer the "Kuririn" pronounce.

User avatar
The Time Traveller
I Live Here
Posts: 3394
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 1:32 pm
Location: UK

Re: Why did Funi change Kuririn to "Krillin"

Postby The Time Traveller » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:37 pm

You guys gotta realise that if they left it as Kuririn, they didn't have access to the original audio so it's likely they'd call him Curry-rin. They pronounced Saiyan, Kaio-Ken and Dr. Gero waaaaaay differently compared to the original, there's no way they'd get Kuririn right.

User avatar
Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 364
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 1:18 am
Location: Iraq

Re: Why did Funi change Kuririn to "Krillin"

Postby Avery » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:42 pm

Kuririn, Kurilin, Kulirin, Kulilin, Kririn, Krilin, Klirin, Klilin are all correct. Not a big deal.

I usually type it "Kuririn" and sometimes "Krillin", but always pronunce it "Kulilin" because I can't pronounce the R's correctly :oops:
Btw, was "Blooma --> Bulma" a misspelling or an intended play on the word?
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".

VegettoEX wrote:In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:50 am
Location: Spain

Re: Why did Funi change Kuririn to "Krillin"

Postby UltimateHammerBro » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:27 pm

Avery wrote:Kuririn, Kurilin, Kulirin, Kulilin, Kririn, Krilin, Klirin, Klilin are all correct. Not a big deal.

I've also seen "Klilyn" :lol:
Avery wrote:Btw, was "Blooma --> Bulma" a misspelling or an intended play on the word?

I always thought that maybe Toriyama didn't really care about it.
He made a pun which worked in Japanese, then romanised it the way he thought best, without taking into account if the romanisation preserved the pun in English. I find it really unlikely that he thought that DB would be read outside Japan.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

User avatar
Adamant
I Live Here
Posts: 2912
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:02 pm
Location: Viking Land
Contact:

Re: Why did Funi change Kuririn to "Krillin"

Postby Adamant » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:33 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:I honestly find this a huge stretch, especially since I see so many people end up writing his name as "Chase" because it's unintelligible.

Same thing goes with the stretch of "Turles" making its own pun on "turnip". No... it really doesn't! :)


It is a stretch, granted, but in my defense, FUNimation/whoever was responsible for the script of Budokai Tenkaichi 3 thought it was close enough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgNzd5y ... u.be&t=558



Which is probably because the original script said "cheese" and the translator had to come up with SOMETHING that sort-of fit Funi's bizarre-ass spelling, not because anyone actually thought it could be a pun on that.

Avery wrote:Btw, was "Blooma --> Bulma" a misspelling or an intended play on the word?


Either a stylistic choice or a misspelling. ブルマ isn't a play on any word, it literally IS the word. Toriyama thinks in Japanese and presumably doesn't consider r and l to be all that different from each other.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!


Return to “General Franchise Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ABED, Kuwabara and 29 guests