Resurrection F - What did you think of that screamo song?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PhoenixEX
Regular

Resurrection F - What did you think of that screamo song?

Post by PhoenixEX » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:04 am

I found it a bit odd, but then I remembered that FUNimation used to put rock songs in their dub years ago.
Not a huge fan of the genre really (screamo I mean, regular rock is good), but I guess it works in Dragon Ball. Better than rap anyways *looks at you GT*.
One World. 🌐 🕊

Wilderness
Beyond Newbie

Re: Resurrection F - What did you think of that screamo song

Post by Wilderness » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:23 am

You mean the Maximum The Hormone track? Personally love it, it's on one of my main playlists.

I would say it's more touched on metal than screamo, but that's just me. I personally preferred it to having the nu-metal tracks in the Cooler movies!

Offtopic: If you want some good rap, 2 albums to check: The Roots - Undun, and Fort Minor - The Rising Tied.
"I'm not a bad guy, I am a good guy, who just... hits women with his car."

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:26 am

I'm a much bigger fan of the instrumental being used later on than the original "F", but it wasn't that bad. At least not in my theater viewing. The song wasn't really overpowering in the scene, I could actually barely hear the lyrics over everything else most of the time. The only part that was nice and clear was the "Freeza" chorus or whatever, and that works.

Could be an entirely different story for a home release though without the theater acoustics, I guess.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:40 am

They used the song poorly in my opinion. They should've used the instrumental version for when Freeza is being revived and blast the lyrical version when Bluer Saiyan Goku fights Oscar Freeza. Hell, from what I remember during the fight scene it only played for a few seconds... Shame really.
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:06 am

I tried to keep an open mind going in, but I really didn't like the placement of it. It felt way too overpowering for that scene. And, I'm not gonna lie, it reminded me of the old dub. Once it got to the chorus, I liked it a bit better, but leading into it, it just didn't feel like it fit this slow establishing shot of the spaceship. As for the instrumental... I didn't even notice it because by that time I was bored out of my mind and hoping the movie would end soon.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:11 am

If Freeza got more time to be evil, beyond fighting, I would want more of that as his theme song. Where it is now, well you only hear it once so it seems out of place.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:58 am

I generally hate screamo songs more than any other kind of music. However I do really like the song.

I do agree that the placement wasn't the best though it should have played during the Goku vs Frieza fight.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:01 am

I liked the placement of it in the trailer, where the "FREEZA FREEZA" coincided with his army flying across the landscape.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:03 am

I wish it was used in a better spot other than Freeza leaving a healing chamber and puking.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:08 am

funrush wrote:I wish it was used in a better spot other than Freeza leaving a healing chamber and puking.
Agreed. I liked the song I just wished it was placed a little differently like how the song started playing in BOG's when Goku was flying up into the air when he was fighting beerus.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:23 pm

I haven't actually seen the movie but, seeing as I don't like metal at all, I'm sure I won't like it.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:35 pm

I like the song a lot, I think it fits Freeza too well, but, in the movie, it was terribly placed on both occasions it was used.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:38 pm

Considering the song's significance to this movie's very existence, I think it would have been an insulting tragedy had the song not been used.

That being said, as I noted in my review, I don't think it was particularly well-placed in EITHER instance. I wouldn't say it was POORLY placed... just... not great. I think it being used in a Freeza training montage would have been hilariously delightful.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohann » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:40 pm

Hated it, it felt like a song you would hear on a bad AMV. It's exactly the kind of song that would have been heavily criticised had it been dub-created.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:51 pm

I think the song would have worked better the first time it was used if the footage it was used for Freeza's revival was synced with the beat of the song. Also, I really wish they added the flashback of Goku defeating Freeza on Namek before Freeza opened his eyes during his revival, the Toyotaro manga adaptation included that and I was hoping to see it in the film but it wasn't there :cry: .

As for the second time it was used, the problem with that is that it was playing over Beerus and Whis's arrival to the battle, that was a REALLY bad idea. What they should've done is have the song play only during Goku and Freeza's fight, the attacks they would inflict on each other would sync with the song and Freeza would be in the advantage since it's his theme music playing.

As for my thoughts on the song itself, I fucking love it. I was so happy when I found out that a song like that existed and was related to Dragon Ball.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:13 pm

While I find its placement slightly questionable, I thought it made for a great moment when watching it in the theatre. There was a bit of laughing (which is justified, since the song is just so gloriously ridiculous), but I also noticed a few people tapping their fingers and rocking their heads back and forth. Pretty minor, but I thought that was fantastic.

ThatGuyNamedChancey
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ThatGuyNamedChancey » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:49 pm

I agree with everyone else here in saying that it was poorly placed in the movie. Regardless, my opinion on the song itself is that I dislike it, a lot. I don't enjoy that style of music (even though I somewhat like Rock). Although, I will admit it has some flow and charm, other than that, I really dislike it. A Chilling Elegy is a much better song about Freeza than this one, imo.
I tend not to post here anymore because what I say doesn't add to the conversation.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:55 pm

VegettoEX wrote:That being said, as I noted in my review, I don't think it was particularly well-placed in EITHER instance. I wouldn't say it was POORLY placed... just... not great.
The irony being, I recall thinking it was used perfectly in the trailer.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:52 pm

The trailer had great use of it. The movie did NOT. The placement was terrible. Plus most of it was on Beerus and Whis talking :problem:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:13 pm

I may not be a fan of heavy metal, but I like "F" a lot more than I thought I would. The chorus is amazing. :P