Does AB Groupe still own the rights in Europe?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Does AB Groupe still own the rights in Europe?

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:20 pm

The title says it all! Does AB Groupe still own the rights to the series in European countries or do other companies own the rights and release the FUNi dub in those countries?
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

DB1984
Banned

Re: Does AB Groupe still own the rights in Europe?

Post by DB1984 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:28 pm

Better yet, were "Big Green" dubs ever made for the first three DB movies, the 10th anniversary movie, DBZ movies 10-13, and the GT special?

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:12 pm

DB1984 wrote:Better yet, were "Big Green" dubs ever made for the first three DB movies, the 10th anniversary movie, DBZ movies 10-13, and the GT special?
Yes for the first 2 dragon ball movies I have both on vhs and I am working on getting them onto my pc soon.Never seen dbz 10-13 in big green, but the gt special does exist I had it recorded but someone taped over it :/

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:49 pm

I don't know about the rest of Europe, but in the UK Manga Entertainment owns the rights now and have released all of the Dragon Ball, Z, and GT TV series as well as the beginning of Kai and movies 1, 17 & 18 with the FUNi dub (Although in movie 1's case, it's the edited Ocean cast dub, as they re-used Madman's old saga discs). In 2003 AB and Warner released three of the Z movies with the Big Green dub on VHS/DVD; these are out of print but AB might still own the rights to some of the original Z movies as manga haven't licensed them.

From what I've read on other threads, the other European releases seem to be totally different from country to country, so I get the impression that AB's no longer involved.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:29 am

I'm starting to suspect AB Groupe have been holding the rights for the old movies hostage. It would certainly explain why Manga UK have shied away from releasing them so far, and we know AB Groupe are notorious for their greed. For example, it's down to AB Groupe that the Tenkaichi/Sparking! series didn't include the Kikuchi score overseas(not that I mind too much, as we got Yamamoto for BT1 and an awesome score for BT2 as a result of their greed).

On the other hand, it does seem strange how Toei would allow them to prevent the movies being released by Manga, especially when they could be making a profit off it.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:07 am

There's not a "yes", or "no" to your answer here. It varies from country to country. It's different if you talk about home media rights, or tv rights... It's quite a a puzzle, this.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:16 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:...and release the FUNi dub in those countries?
AB Groupe or not, I see no reason why this would or should happen :eh:
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts